Do religious discussions here make you want to be Christian?

Do religious discussions here make you want to be Christian?

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • No

Votes: 76 88.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 5.8%

• Total voters

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't see that anyone has begun an apologetics discussion as yet. But if you feel an irresistible need to have one, feel free to start a thread in General Apologetics (I believe Christians are allowed to initiate threads there as well?) Otherwise, perhaps you could go to Christians Apologetics, and ask the people there what they think of Christianity.

well you have people saying christianity is anti intellectual and a host of other ad hominems about how people have failed to portray christianity, this thread has become a pinata for non believers to mock christians and the christians cannot properly defend their case. It's just unfair, and actually as I read it against the rules. I don't think the athiest responses here are lawful according to the forum rules for this particular section. They specifically say they don't want apologetics debated here. Yet you guys are doing it.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
well you have people saying christianity is anti intellectual and a host of other ad hominems about how people have failed to portray christianity, this thread has become a pinata for non believers to mock christians and the christians cannot properly defend their case. It's just unfair, and actually as I read it against the rules. I don't think the athiest responses here are lawful according to the forum rules for this particular section. They specifically say they don't want apologetics debated here. Yet you guys are doing it.
No, we're not.
The question was, do religious discussions make you want to be Christian. The obvious answer is no, because of (reasons already given). If you feel an irresistible need to tell us those reasons are wrong, please feel free to start a thread in the correct place to do so.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, we're not.
The question was, do religious discussions make you want to be Christian. The obvious answer is no,
thats because you are here to recruit atheists, not learn about Christianity. Like this atheist confessed yesterday- Argument for God's existence.
because of (reasons already given). If you feel an irresistible need to tell us those reasons are wrong, please feel free to start a thread in the correct place to do so.
the fact that I cannot reply to those comments in this thread should logically indicate that those comments are in the wrong place.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
thats because you are here to recruit atheists, not learn about Christianity. Like this atheist confessed yesterday- Argument for God's existence.
the fact that I cannot reply to those comments in this thread should logically indicate that those comments are in the wrong place.
The fact that you're trying to answer something that is not a question should show that you're making a mistake.
Also, is it really that much of a surprise to you that atheists think Christianity is irrational?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟337,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
well you have people saying christianity is anti intellectual and a host of other ad hominems about how people have failed to portray christianity, this thread has become a pinata for non believers to mock christians and the christians cannot properly defend their case.

There will be other times and places for us to defend our case. This thread is a place for us to listen to what non-Christians have to say. I think it's useful to hear how Christians are perceived by people of other faiths.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,151,107.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Then you came to CF with the wrong purpose. If you step away from Christianity because Christians think homosexuality is sinful or evolution from a common ancestor is incorrect then you are not searching for a relationship with Christ. A relationship with Jesus is about recognizing that you are lost without him and need him for salvation. It's recognizing you are a sinner and nothing you do will get you a relationship with the Almighty God. It's only by faith in Christ that makes you right with God. Your not made right with God by believing homosexuality is a so or by believing abortion is wrong or being a conservative or liberal. If we can't look at our own life and say I need Christ then it's hopeless for us.
From the point of view of an outsider, if people here are claiming that it is impossible for a Christian to accept gays, or abortion, or whatever, an inquirer is not going to think that being a Christian is just about following Jesus. (I talk about following Jesus rather than having a personal relationship with Jesus because that's the language Jesus used.)

There's nothing wrong with having debates on political topics. But you'd hope that Christians doing political debates would model Christian behavior, treating each other graciously as fellow believers. Is that what's really happening?

If I were talking with someone interested in Christianity, I'd do my best to keep them away from this site.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

Christians have a gazillion other forums where we can talk about non-Christians all we want and they can't even post there. So if there is *one* forum where atheists can talk about what they think about Christianity without Christians being able to immediately dogpile them for their views, and maybe even *listen* to what they are saying for once, then how is it unfair?

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Because they are. And i am probably the poster here who has called out how anti-intellectual christians are especially on this site.

In fact, I advice anyone thinking to seek life advice to go elsewhere because the knowledge people have here is all "what the Bible says", in short you'll not only get bad advice but dangerous advice.

We had a woman here asking about what she should do because she has a husband who abuses her. Now a logical thinking person is going to tell this lady to leave him but here you'll have people tell her divorcing is a sin. Now, if you tell these guys that their advice is bad and start giving logical examples their counter will be about how "you don't know God" or ask for a reference in the Bible.

I just don't understand why so many here are either incapable or refuse basic reasoning... and don't get me started on the creation/evolution threads here.

This is the reason why I made a thread about how I think an IQ test should be conducted before someone owns a Bible. I still stand by this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟247,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Do religious discussions here make me want to be a Christian? They don't sway me one way or another. I'm here to understand what people in various Christian denominations think of various topics. I've always been very empathic, and I want to understand all sides of issues.

I'm not religious at all, but I've always had a great deal of respect for Christianity.

• Friendly
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If you step away from Christianity because Christians think homosexuality is sinful or evolution from a common ancestor is incorrect then you are not searching for a relationship with Christ.
snip

I can understand where Zoile is coming from. As a Christian, I am supposed to believe in the whole "Spirit of Wisdom" thing.. but then you see people here who are so unintelligent and can't tell right from wrong, it makes me question.

I've seen and participated in debates regarding morality and so many here indirectly self-refuted theisms case on morality (if God doesn't exist then what's the point of morality):

I can link you to quotes where people admit that doing good doesn't get you saved.You can do as much suffering as Pol Pot and still go to heaven (if you become a believer), and you can be as innocent as a 5 year old jew murdered at a nazi camp and still go to hell because of not believing in christ?

So all this just strikes me to ask, "what is the point of morality then". Sadly, you can't ask these thought invoking (basic thinking actually) to these people..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟108,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As a non-Christian I do not feel of the "want" to be Christian anymore because of postings or discussions, even though the members here are generally nice people. I don't really need God "explained" to me anymore because I grew up and observing and having certain events happening to me, I decided that I didn't want much of it anymore. I still have acknowledgement of Christianity and I understand where some of the lessons are coming from, which is why I am on here. While I don't "know it all" nor believe I have all the right answers about things, that's besides the point.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟339,300.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I can understand where Zoile is coming from. As a Christian, I am supposed to believe in the whole "Spirit of Wisdom" thing.. but then you see people here who are so unintelligent and can't tell right from wrong, it makes me question.

I've seen and participated in debates regarding morality and so many here indirectly self-refuted theisms case on morality (if God doesn't exist then what's the point of morality):

I can link you to quotes where people admit that doing good doesn't get you saved.You can do as much suffering as Pol Pot and still go to heaven (if you become a believer), and you can be as innocent as a 5 year old jew murdered at a nazi camp and still go to hell because of not believing in christ?

So all this just strikes me to ask, "what is the point of morality then". Sadly, you can't ask these thought invoking (basic thinking actually) to these people..

One of the things I like to point out to some is that in general when we talk about morality we are talking about the wrong thing. God doesn't deal in morality. He deals is obedience. "Do this and you will be saved." "Don't do this and you will not be." He then outlines that we are all sinners despite our morality.

That's why I try not to get dragged into discussions on morality. If God says something is sin then it is. If God says do this or that, it's a command, not a moral issue. If God doesn't say it's sinful then it's not. Regardless if we think it is or isn't moral. He deals in commands, not morality. Hope that makes some modicum of sense.

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟108,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's more than outrageous that we are all naturally sinful beings despite being created by God in his image. It's like being created is a trap. Sometimes I wish God made me as an animal like a cat instead. I wish he can start his creation again exactly like he did last time around.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟339,300.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It's more than outrageous that we are all naturally sinful beings despite being created by God in his image. It's like being created is a trap. Sometimes I wish God made me as an animal like a cat instead. I wish he can start his creation again exactly like he did last time around.

It is SO easy to end the trap of sin. All we have to do is give our lives to Christ. It's not that difficult.

• Agree
Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟108,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is SO easy to end the trap of sin. All we have to do is give our lives to Christ. It's not that difficult.
Now, it's just about obedience. We grow up thinking we should have "freedom" because we are born in the United States or something like that. Then we just get a "gotcha" that we should be completely obedient to God and Jesus. What's all the point then?

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
the problem is with apologists who convince themselves and others that they actually can win all of their arguments and show atheists the error of their ways, and of course they can't.
Christianity can't be proven, only demonstrated.
You can't come to Christ via logic and reason. You must come to Him through faith in defiance of what many consider to be logic and reason. God intentionally chose to do the impossible which is why His miracles are disregarded by many who did not witness them and who put their understanding of physical laws above the Lord's supremacy over those laws.

If nobody changes their mind, does anyone actually win the argument?
We can quote the word, but only the Lord can revel the word; and only to one who opens His heart to Christ. For the most part all we can do is support each other and offer God's truth to those who will hear it. We let the Lord win the argument for us.

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟108,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Christianity can't be proven, only demonstrated.
You can't come to Christ via logic and reason. You must come to Him through faith in defiance of what many consider to be logic and reason. God intentionally chose to do the impossible which is why His miracles are disregarded by many who did not witness them and who put their understanding of physical laws above the Lord's supremacy over those laws.

If nobody changes their mind, does anyone actually win the argument?
We can quote the word, but only the Lord can revel the word; and only to one who opens His heart to Christ. For the most part all we can do is support each other and offer God's truth to those who will hear it. We let the Lord win the argument for us.

This is still a fair point, but what about considering the way other people may emotionally feel like being hurt or something? Such as in my experience, I will say God has treated his creation unfairly sometimes, either directly or indirectly by allowing Satan to take advantage of things. I don't feel complete love or positive vibes from it.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Such as in my experience, I will say God has treated his creation unfairly sometimes, either directly or indirectly by allowing Satan to take advantage of things.
Evil is not from God, it's from the absence of God.
We aren't here to be safe, but to be tested. We live in a world that hates us because we are made in the image of God, who is hated. God promises only peace at the end of the struggle; not a blissful utopia in this life.

Upvote 0