Do religious discussions here make you want to be Christian?

Do religious discussions here make you want to be Christian?

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • No

Votes: 76 88.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 5.8%

• Total voters

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah. You both spelled "Gandhi" wrong. ;)

Nope, not me. I spelled it correctly, without going back to edit my post to fix any spelling errors that weren't there....

*Looks innocent and whistles nonchalantly...*

• Haha
Reactions: Tinker Grey
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
For the non-Christians: When you're browsing this site, and you see discussions on salvation or Church history or any theological topic, do these discussions make Christianity seem appealing, or do these arguments turn you away?
Nothing particular to this site.
I'm just not wired to be religious. I can't make sense of it

Upvote 0

the iconoclast

Atheism is weak. Yep, I said it
Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
And here we go.

Hey hey my dear :)

Here we go again.

Actually the lyrics for 'here we go again' by demi lovato some up your relationship with God.

"I throw all of your stuff away
Then I clear you out of my head
I tear you out of my heart
And ignore all your messages"

You tell me I have to accept Jesus into my heart and then I will get the proof of Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

Did you not once stop to think that maybe I have already done that?

And that I got nothing?

I'm married to a Christian. He told me that it was important to him that I tried, so I did. And I got nothing from God, no revelation, no insight, no sudden realisation that God is real.

Yah, im getting somewhere with you.

Ok. Have you done so?

What did you do?

Why did you do it?

Did you seek out the Lord with all your heart and all your mind?

When did you do it?

I got dead silence.

What were you expecting?

But you seem to be utterly incapable of realising that.

My dear, this is the first time you ever mentioned that to me. You were incapable of bringing that to my attention before, how could i realise it?

Are you so arrogant that you think that if something worked for you, that it must work for everyone else as well, including me?

I do not have an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities. I know im special. :)

We will examine why it didnt happen for. Lets see how much more you are willing to divulge.

This is exactly my point.

In the H2O experiment, any person who does it will get the same results.

Each walk with God may be different and what God needs from each individual may be different.

Would try again to see if you got somerhing wrong?

You can get everyone who does it to talk about it with all the other people who did it, and they will all absolutely agree. Because it's science, and because it's an accurate reflection of reality.

Same goes with those who get a relationship with God through the Spirit. You can get everyone who does it to talk about it with all the other people who did it - and got it - and they will all absolutely agree worh the method.

But it doesn't work when it comes to religion. People reach different conclusions.

What different conclusions do people reach?

That's why there's so many different religions out there.

Why is there so many religions out there?

That's why there's so many different sects of Christianity.

Why is there so many different denominations in Christianity?

Because there is no objective reality when it comes to religion.

What objective reality do you refer to?

It's all just a bunch of people's ideas that do not reflect how reality works.

How do you know this?

I've already tried your test. Years ago. And it has failed.

Lets examine the things you say first.

And lots of other people have done the same thing and gotten a similar failure. Your test just proves that religion is man-made.

How does it prove religion is man made?

This discussion has really piqued my curiosity. You and i have much to talk about. I cznt wait to see how you answer.

Im not gonna give up on you anytime soon :)

Ps
Its good to hear from you and please forgive my delayed response:)

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hey hey my dear :)

Here we go again.

Actually the lyrics for 'here we go again' by demi lovato some up your relationship with God.

"I throw all of your stuff away
Then I clear you out of my head
I tear you out of my heart
And ignore all your messages"

No, actually. You are assuming that God has sent me messages. Since he is not real, he isn't able to send me messages any more than Darth Vader is able to.

Yah, im getting somewhere with you.

Ok. Have you done so?

What did you do?

Why did you do it?

Did you seek out the Lord with all your heart and all your mind?

When did you do it?

The exact details are irrelevant. It would take too long to explain, and it won't make any difference. Suffice it to say, me opening my heart to God was important for my husband, and so I tried. And I got nothing.

What were you expecting?

More than nothing.

My dear, this is the first time you ever mentioned that to me. You were incapable of bringing that to my attention before, how could i realise it?

Yo are incapable of realising that people can try the same things you try and get different results.

Or do you really think that no atheist has ever tried this?

I do not have an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities. I know im special. :)

He said, contradicting himself.

We will examine why it didnt happen for. Lets see how much more you are willing to divulge.

Are you suggesting that maybe I didn't do it right?

Each walk with God may be different and what God needs from each individual may be different.

Would try again to see if you got somerhing wrong?

Here we go, trying to make excuses as to why it didn't work. Maybe I did it wrong. Maybe God needs something different from me.

Same goes with those who get a relationship with God through the Spirit. You can get everyone who does it to talk about it with all the other people who did it - and got it - and they will all absolutely agree worh the method.

Yeah, human psychology works like that.

What different conclusions do people reach?

Different religions. People reach different conclusions and so they branch off different religions to match the conclusions they think are correct.

Why is there so many religions out there?

Because God isn't real and what different people think is God communicating with them is nothing more than their own mind and they just think it's God.

Why is there so many different denominations in Christianity?

Same reason.

What objective reality do you refer to?

One single truth that exists independently of the observers.

How do you know this?

It's the simplest explanation and is not contradicted by anything that has actually happened.

Lets examine the things you say first.

I opened my heart to God - something which many believers including my husband have told me will give me the proof of God that I've asked for. I tried it and got no proof whatsoever.

How does it prove religion is man made?

Because it fits exactly with what we'd expect a man made religion to be.

Upvote 0

the iconoclast

Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
No, actually. You are assuming that God has sent me messages.

Hey hey you :)

You could consider myself a person who carries a message.

How would you know if you received a message from God?

Do you know what to expect?

Since he is not real, he isn't able to send me messages any more than Darth Vader is able to.

You may believe He does not exist, i believe He does.

How do you know He is not real?

The exact details are irrelevant. It would take too long to explain, and it won't make any difference.

They are relevant to me and i want to know. I aint going nowhere and neither are you.

So...

1.Have you done so?
Edit - Answered. You tried so you could please your husband?

2.What did you do?

3. Why did you do it?
Edit - Answered. You did it to please your husband?

4. Did you seek out the Lord with all your heart and all your mind?
Edit - seems like a possible no unless you would like to correct me?

5.When did you do it?

It seems that your heart may not have been into.

Did you accept Jesus as salvation? What was your method and dont be shy?

Suffice it to say, me opening my heart to God was important for my husband, and so I tried. And I got nothing.

So you did so to please your husband. You are familiar with Christianity, is that 100% faith in God?

When you seeked out God did you want to or was it half hearted?

More than nothing.

This answers is lacking. I need more from you.

What were you expecting?

Yo are incapable of realising that people can try the same things you try and get different results.

You seem incapable of understanding how to come to Christ?

How does one come to Christ?

Or do you really think that no atheist has ever tried this?

Id rather ask then assume. I dont know what every individual atheist has done, so i ask.

He said, contradicting himself.

Im special and so are you. You are more important and special than what you realise.

Are you suggesting that maybe I didn't do it right?

Thats why im asking questions, to find out what methods you used. So far you have said you did it for your husband. Is that getting it right?

You are familar with Christian doctrine and faith. Did you get it right?

Here we go, trying to make excuses as to why it didn't work. Maybe I did it wrong. Maybe God needs something different from me.

Do you believe you got it right?

Maybe God needs something from you. What do you think that could be?

Yeah, human psychology works like that.

How does it work in relation to what i said?

Different religions. People reach different conclusions and so they branch off different religions to match the conclusions they think are correct.

Is Christianity the same as islam? Is hinduism the same?

Do buddhists worship Christ?

What have other religions got to so with accepting Christ as salvation?

Because God isn't real

I disagree. How are you so certain?

and what different people think is God communicating with them is nothing more than their own mind and they just think it's God.

How do you know this for certain? Lets look at me and my relationship with God. How do you know ots all in my mind?

Same reason.

What same reason?

One single truth that exists independently of the observers.

What is an example of such a thing?

It's the simplest explanation and is not contradicted by anything that has actually happened.

You said - "It's all just a bunch of people's ideas that do not reflect how reality works."

I said - "How do you know this?"

You say - "It's the simplest explanation and is not contradicted by anything that has actually happened."

A statement answered by another statement.

Ill give you another shot. How do you know this?

I opened my heart to God - something which many believers including my husband have told me will give me the proof of God that I've asked for. I tried it and got no proof whatsoever.

Lets see how you answer the other points i made. So far you did so to please your husband.

Because it fits exactly with what we'd expect a man made religion to be.

What should you and i expect? What defines a man made religion and by what authority?

Cheers, this conversation is getting good. Dont be shy give me what you got. Im wrong and you are right, this should be easy for you. :)

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hey hey you :)

You could consider myself a person who carries a message.

How would you know if you received a message from God?

Do you know what to expect?

I'm sure God would be able to make sure I had what I needed to be certain.

You may believe He does not exist, i believe He does.

How do you know He is not real?

Inconsistencies with the claims made.

2.What did you do?

I prayed.

4. Did you seek out the Lord with all your heart and all your mind?
Edit - seems like a possible no unless you would like to correct me?

I was honestly open to God and would have accepted it if He chose to speak to me.

5.When did you do it?

About the time we got engaged.

It seems that your heart may not have been into.

Matthew 7:1

Did you accept Jesus as salvation? What was your method and dont be shy?

I asked God to speak to me. I am not in the habit of accepting a conclusion without evidence.

So you did so to please your husband. You are familiar with Christianity, is that 100% faith in God?

When you seeked out God did you want to or was it half hearted?

I always want to know the truth. If God is the truth, then I want to know.

This answers is lacking. I need more from you.

What were you expecting?

How should I know what in what manner God would speak to me?

You seem incapable of understanding how to come to Christ?

How does one come to Christ?

From what I've seen here, many people seem to think it involves convincing yourself to believe, and then you'll have a lower standard of evidence, since most people what to see justification for what they already believe.

I'll accept anything, but I need the evidence for it first.

Id rather ask then assume. I dont know what every individual atheist has done, so i ask.

I can assure you that many atheists have tried. I'm not the only one.

Im special and so are you. You are more important and special than what you realise.

I'm unique, just like everyone else!

Thats why im asking questions, to find out what methods you used. So far you have said you did it for your husband. Is that getting it right?

You are familar with Christian doctrine and faith. Did you get it right?

Why should God be limited to Christian doctrine? If God can see that I am sincerely asking for the evidence I need to believe, why would he not provide it?

Do you believe you got it right?

Maybe God needs something from you. What do you think that could be?

I stayed true to myself, which means I will not accept any claim as true without sufficient evidence for that claim.

Do you think it's a good idea to accept claims as true without sufficient evidence?

How does it work in relation to what i said?

People want to be part of a group.

Is Christianity the same as islam? Is hinduism the same?

Do buddhists worship Christ?

What have other religions got to so with accepting Christ as salvation?

I was saying that people reach different conclusions when searching for God. This is why we have different religions. If finding God was as reliable as you suggest, we would see everyone reaching the same conclusion.

I disagree. How are you so certain?

Because there is no evidence for God and the idea of God requires contradictions between the idea and reality.

How do you know this for certain? Lets look at me and my relationship with God. How do you know ots all in my mind?

When you see a Hindu praying to his gods, do you think that's all in his mind?

What same reason?

Are you incapable of following a conversation? I'm not interested in having to explain every single thing all the time.

What is an example of such a thing?

The Sun exists. The moon orbits the Earth and the Earth orbits the sun.

You said - "It's all just a bunch of people's ideas that do not reflect how reality works."

I said - "How do you know this?"

You say - "It's the simplest explanation and is not contradicted by anything that has actually happened."

A statement answered by another statement.

Ill give you another shot. How do you know this?

Again, I'm not interested in having to explain everything in detail. If you can't see how "God is imaginary" then I don't know how to explain it without taking more time than I care to spend.

What should you and i expect? What defines a man made religion and by what authority?

Are you seriously confused as to what man-made means?

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

the iconoclast

Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Hello @Kylie. I just wanted to say it was good to talk to you over the last year. You and many atheists here have helped sharpen my Christian blade, that is my; hope, faith and love in Jesus Christ.

I have been using these conversations to challenge myself against the modern atheist. These experiences since 2016 have made me like a tree standing before a hurricane.

You are the only atheist on this site i have a form of respect for. You were the only one that really put up a fight - though I still disagree with your conclusions re Jesus and the existance of God.

I'm taking a break from you and these sort of discussions. I'm gonna hang out with all my friends, play music in my band, go out a bit more and read more into Christian related things.

I should be back in 3-6months.

I leave you this -

faith, hope and love,

that is how the whole thing works and the only way it works. :)

Hey @cvanwey, hope you read this. I will be back and it will be even more fun. :)

I don't have absolute trust in my ability to reason, that does not harm my credibility

Ill come looking for you in 3-6months. :)

To you all brothers and sisters, God bless and dont give up. The atheist position is weak.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You are the only atheist on this site i have a form of respect for. You were the only one that really put up a fight
First, ouch. Hey, feelings. ;)
Also, if you want a fight, look me up when you get back, and I'll be happy to politely dismantle your arguments.

I'm taking a break from you and these sort of discussions. I'm gonna hang out with all my friends, play music in my band, go out a bit more and read more into Christian related things.
Have fun. Does everyone good to have a rest.

To you all brothers and sisters, God bless and don't give up. The atheist position is weak.
Christians love to tell themselves this. But, like everything else they tell themselves, saying it don't make it so.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The more I post on forums of this nature the more convinced I am no god or afterlife exists.
That is or seems to be the natural , normal, expected result of reading and posting on forums of this nature.

(for over ten years I have asked if anyone ever got saved from internet...... ever, anywhere....
out of tens of thousands of readers and posters, zero have replied for themselves or for another and said they got saved.)

So if you want to meet God before passing away, seek Him, seek His Kingdom, personally. A few have been saved that way. (everyone who seeks Him, and keeps seeking Him, finds Him - that is His Promise, and is always true) .
Jesus says that it requires using every bit of your will and strength and everything that is within to enter His Kingdom - and that many who try to enter in are unable to. (I forget the Scripture reference - it is in the NT) ...

Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The more I post on forums of this nature the more convinced I am no god or afterlife exists.

No kidding.. Mahatma Gandhi “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians."

He also said: I don't reject Christ. I love Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums