Do religious discussions here make you want to be Christian?

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • No

Votes: 76 88.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 5.8%

• Total voters

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I thought this was a Christian posting area.. ???

Wouldn't you have better luck posting in a non-Christian area of the forum?

This is a section which allows non-Christians to post which is why I can say that. ;)

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not a non-Christian, but if I was a non-Christian and CF was my primary or only introduction to it, I'd likely run as far away from the religion as possible. Too many posts/threads here give the false impression that following Christ is about holding harsh, narrow, anti-intellectual views.

Fingernails on a chalkboard type stuff. It's almost like some people enjoy holding untenable viewpoints. I can understand the allure of faith but it should be tempered with responsibility, both intellectually and socially. Faith should be more than blind trust, it should form us into a relationship with truth that extends beyond the self and its petty egotistical needs. Jesus, after all, stands for the truth, and we should not fear following the truth, wherever it takes us.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not Atheist but I can confirm the way I talk about my beliefs here is totally different from what I do in the real world. I usually have to be defensive about anything that I say since people will try to be rude to you, also I developed a real dislike for a certain Christian theology, which I am not going to talk about, that makes me wants to say stuff that would make me break the rules here. To be fair, when discussing with Atheists they can also be self-righteous jerks who create strawmen based on fundamentalism; however; I usually don't discuss with them so I don't focus on that.

My favorite place is the TAW forum since their debate section is usually calmer and I really love the Orthodox understanding of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not Atheist but I can confirm the way I talk about my beliefs here is totally different from what I do in the real world. I usually have to be defensive about anything that I say since people will try to be rude to you, also I developed a real dislike for a certain Christian theology, which I am not going to talk about, that makes me wants to say stuff that would make me break the rules here. To be fair, when discussing with Atheists they can also be self-righteous jerks who create strawmen based on fundamentalism; however; I usually don't discuss with them so I don't focus on that.

My favorite place is the TAW forum since their debate section is usually calmer and I really love the Orthodox understanding of Christianity.

These days. I have more respect for Atheistic views than I do with Christians now, especially with specific protestant denominations in this board.

Atheism does have it's low tiers: SJW's and the modern day progress left are examples. They are just mind boggling dumb and insane. Probably under the same basket of dumb as fundamentalists. I could care less about their rejection of religion but their political views and every single #movement is an indicator that we are just years away into unrepairable failure.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,239,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I voted "no".

That said, I'm not sure that it's even the Christian's responsibility to
make me want to be Christian.

In the past, I’ve come away from some discussions/debates
wanting to totally join the Dark Side or something. But that's on
me.

I just don’t want any Christians reading this thread feeling guilty
or condemning themselves because something they said or did
drove people away. It’s not what you say or do, but how I choose
to respond to what you say or do. If I up and decide to become a
chicken-head-biting Satan-worshiper because I got my feelings
hurt over something a Christian said on CF, that’s my decision and
my responsibility.

(If you have any good chicken recipes, though, I’d appreciate y'all
sharing them with me because I’d have to do something with the
rest of that poor chicken in the above scenario).

-

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not just worried about the effect on non-Christians, but on Christians. Following Jesus is supposed to make our lives better.

I can confirm your fears. I know 2 Christians here who have told me very clearly that a lot of what is said here by Christians disturbs them greatly and that they want nothing to do with that version of Christianity.

I voted 'no' in the poll, but I'd like to add that it is not religious discussions that are off putting. It is the general tone and gross ignorance shown by some Christians here. In fact when I have gone into denomination specific areas (mainly because I saw something under 'new posts') I have found explicitly religious discussions both civil and enlightening.

This site is a great example of Christianity putting its worst foot forward.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

I have learned a lot by posting in the Christian Forum. I suspect that I can agree to disagree on some of the doctrine although I agree with almost all of it. That is because the Bible is the word of God. The Bible has so many good verses in it like this :
(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 12:13 - 14)

13 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

I believe this is the gospel simplified.

Reactions: RoseCrystal
Upvote 0

Theo Barnsley

Jan 4, 2019
Auckland
✟21,150.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
I watched Dr Phil today. It was about a young boy who said he wants to be a girl. His/her mother is supportive, & lets the boy dress as a girl, & the child has now adopted a girls name.

However the grandmother & the mothers brother refuse to accept the boy as a girl. This appears to be mainly for religious reasons, as when the boy was in their care they forcibly scrubbed pink hair dye out of the boys hair, saying that having the pink dye in his hair 'hurts jesus'.

Dr Phils advice, was to respect the childs wishes, & just love & support whoever they want to be. If the child wants to be a girl, then support the child as a girl. If the child changes her mind in a couple of years & wants to be a boy again, support & love them as a boy. Just give them lots of love & support, & let the child work it out in their own mind, without any judgement.

This sounds like very good advice to me. The reason I am bringing this up in this thread, is because one of the 1st posts I saw on this Christian forum was just after Xmas when a father who's child (son) had been expressing for a long time that he was a girl, but the parents resisted. Their local church had also gotten involved, & the church also was against the child affirming as a girl.

On new years eve the child (about 13 years old) attempted suicide. It was at this point the father posted on this forum for advice.

I frankly could not believe some of the responses that this father was getting about how to handle this situation by some so called 'christians' on this forum. Some of the responses were your 'child needs conversion therapy', or 'take an even harder line & resist your child becoming a girl whatever it takes', and even exorcism (because the child was obviously possesed by demons).

This was advice being given to a distraught father whos child had just attempted suicide. While there were SOME compassionate responses, most of the responses were responses that would most likely make the child attempt suicide again if they were followed, & would no doubt do untold harm to the child.

When I replied to the guy who suggested that an "exorcism' should be performed", that he should stay silent if he does not know what he is talking about, becuse an exorcism is going to do more harm to the child, the moderator DELETED MY POST, but kept the post about the exorcism up (because apparently it is rude to tell somebody who promotes exorcism to stay silent in these forums).

Eventually the whole thread got deleted. I dont know if the father himself requested it be deleted or a more sensible moderator deleted it, but I am glad it was, because most of the advice was quite frankly dangerous to any child if it was followed.

The thing was, I saw very few posts expressing any real concern about the childs welfare, or love for the child. What I mainly read was lots of judgment on this child, & the only real concern was that the boy should be prevented from transitioning to a girl, regardless of the affect on the childs welfare or emotional well being.

So if this is representative of what it means to be a Christian, quite frankly I want none of it! Christians keep saying that God is love, yet I see very little love & lots of judgement from many christians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I remember a thread, some years ago. A Christian had been reading the Bible and found some horrible stories in it, which made him doubt God's love. He came to the forum with honest doubts and questions. Could this be the God of love that he had been told about all his life?
He was not treated well. He was told he was being prideful and arrogant, and warned not to let the devil find a home in his heart. I do not think this is what he came to the forum for.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not a non-Christian, but if I was a non-Christian and CF was my primary or only introduction to it, I'd likely run as far away from the religion as possible. Too many posts/threads here give the false impression that following Christ is about holding harsh, narrow, anti-intellectual views.

Don't forget imperialist/racist views that directly got people killed/tortured/etc.

As a believer in the Most High God and the Word of God Himself, I think this place is pretty toxic. That may be because Christians eat their own, doctrinally - and I have no desire to let an institution dictate my spiritual relationship with my Father. On these forums, those are called devils.

I stay because I know people lurk (members and nonmembers), and letting some of the claptrap stand would be a disservice in general.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,239,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
As a believer in the Most High God and the Word of God Himself, I think this place is pretty toxic. That may be because Christians eat their own, doctrinally - and I have no desire to let an institution dictate my spiritual relationship with my Father. On these forums, those are called devils.

I stay because I know people lurk (members and nonmembers), and letting some of the claptrap stand would be a disservice in general.
I've seen a lot of that in the Christians-Only areas.

Back when I was involved in those areas, I found my fondness for
Christianity seriously tested, most likely because those areas serve as
safe-spaces for religious toxicity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Don't forget imperialist/racist views that directly got people killed/tortured/etc.

Yes, these imperialist/racist (and I'll add misogynistic as well) views, along with the horrifying views expressed through Theo Barnsley's post above are a primary reason why I am vehemently opposed to a theocratic government of any sort (unless of course *literally* ruled by Jesus himself after his return) and strongly support separation of church and state here in the U.S. Too many proclaimed Christians are chomping at the bit to impose their will in the name of God on others, physically if need be, and would prefer even a child be tortured to death vs. their own will be opposed.

It's easy to cherry pick verses out of scripture to support violence and hatred against other people, conveniently ignoring Jesus' new commandment in John 13:34.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

I believe it is important to follow the Bible teachings. God is Love and the Bible teaches us to Love one another. The commandments are all about Love and teaching us how to Love. It is not possible to know God unless we keep the commandments:
(New Testament | 1 John 2:4 - 5)

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
(New Testament | John 12:50)

50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.
(New Testament | John 17:2 - 3)

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Keeping the commandments makes me want to be a Christian.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Agreed. If CF was my primary source of experience of Christianity I'd have run the opposite direction a long time ago.

To be perfectly forthcoming, if I had never bothered to challenge some of my childhood beliefs and ideas, had never investigated Christianity beyond what I experienced in my little circle growing up, I don't know that I'd still be a Christian today. I don't think I could have remained a Christian had I continued where I used to be.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
As a Christian, I would say that CF is a serious challenge to my faith. The discussions are unconvincing, and people who come here looking for help are as often given terrible answers as help.

Agreed. It's absolutely heartbreaking and gut-wrenching how many times I see absolutely awful and toxic things on here, and there are people who are earnestly seeking comfort and advice because they are facing serious struggles and they get fed spoonfuls of bovine excrement that has the vague appearance of looking religious-ish.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Speaking as an atheist, no, they don't. Generally speaking, Christians just just aren't good enough at arguing their case. Most of them hardly understand any of the tenents of their own religion. The folks on Christian Forums are sometimes better, or sometimes more unbalanced, but even so, as a general matter, atheists know the Christian religion better, and can argue it better.
The problem is that Christianity just doesn't make sense. This isn't necessarily a disadvantage in a religion; there are parts of the Christian religion that Christians are proud of not understanding. God works in mysterious ways, and all that. the problem is with apologists who convince themselves and others that they actually can win all of their arguments and show atheists the error of their ways, and of course they can't.

If I may offer some advice, Christians showing humility, kindness and helpfulness would be way more convincing, and likely to recruit converts, that fans of Josh McDowell and Lee Strobel.

Some of us are good at 'arguing' our case...that is one of the issues here.

Upvote 0