-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I recently posted a survey with the question, “What items of faith do Christians regard as essential to salvation?”

What are the conditions for salvation?

Eighteen members participated in the thread. Not all participated in the survey. Agreement with several statements was as follows:

10 with Belief in Jesus’ resurrection.

8 with Belief in Jesus' crucifixion.

9 with Belief in the divinity of Christ.

6 with Belief in the Trinity.

6 with Belief in the virginal birth of Christ.

1 with Belief in Satisfaction or penal substitution atonement.

If these truths are not essential to salvation, why do we evangelize?

Last edited:

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I recently posted a survey with the question, “What items of faith do Christians regard as essential to salvation?”

Eighteen members participated in the thread. Not all participated in the survey. Agreement with several statements was as follows:

Why indeed? I mean, if we don’t hold those out as being normal requirements for salvation, for example, if one took the view of the Universalists, it leads to a de-emphasis of evangelism.

I agree with the first five of those, and am stunned people apparently believe in the divinity of Christ but not the Trinity or his Virgin Birth, which is contrary to the Christian Forums statement of faith.

Now, I had a good friend who was Muslim, but he died at a young age, shockingly young, in 2015, which I am deeply upset by, and so I pray that God might spare him and have mercy on his soul, on account of his simplicity, and other factors, but this is all I can do. I have no right to challenge the doctrine of the Church based on my own wishes, particularly when changing that doctrine to a position of Universalism or Apokatastasis would result in a dis-incentivization of conversion.

That being said I believe he married a Christian lady, so my hope is that he converted her.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

It is bad logic to assess Christian belief off a lone little survey that is on a lone website, on a lone little thread that is up for public notice in a lone little forum for only a few hours. Why link your question to the survey?

But the question is asked wrong. Whether these truths are essential to salvation or not, the understanding of them all is not. So our evangelism is not immediately about them all.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is bad logic to assess Christian belief off a lone little survey that is on a lone website, on a lone little thread that is up for public notice in a lone little forum for only a few hours. Why link your question to the survey?

But the question is asked wrong. Whether these truths are essential to salvation or not, the understanding of them all is not. So our evangelism is not immediately about them all.
I have found that people hold certain beliefs (often dogmatically) because that is what they have always been taught.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I have found that people hold certain beliefs (often dogmatically) because that is what they have always been taught.
Of course.

But why do you say so? What does that have to do with his question of whether they are necessary for salvation, and why we evangelize?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Is that what the prodigal son needed to believe for the father to through a feast for him?
The prodigal son just needed to "Come to his senses" (see where he was at, where he was heading, and trust his Father's very unique "Love" enough to belief his father would give him a livable job he fully did not deserve). He selfishly wanted to continue to live, even though he fully deserved to starve to death in the pigsty, this selfish desire was to the point he was willing to further pester his father and fuel his brother's contempt.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course.

But why do you say so? What does that have to do with his question of whether they are necessary for salvation, and why we evangelize?
What people think is necessary for salvation depends on what their Church has taught them, what books they read or preachers they listened to or for others what was taught at the seminary they went to.
Most people cling to what they’ve been taught and reject anything else without doing any objective research into other beliefs.
Most people study material from sources that they already agree with. You could call it confirmation bias.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
There is only one belief that matters, which is how does a person receive God's free gift of Eternal Life and become a born again child of God.

If you do not get that belief correct, all other beliefs are not worth squat.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

L.A.M.B.

Oct 11, 2023
USA
✟2,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
I once had as my signature the below which came to me in a hot debate about beliefs verses the word of God;
One can believe what they will but HIS TRUTHS will outlast our beliefs !

Accepting what God/Christ has stated through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit upon his prophets & apostles, in the written word, is our ONLY source for knowing him and is paramount to our discipleship.

Traditions, rituals, doctrines, and dogmas of institutions or private interpretations of men/women DOES NOT constitute our salvation nor walk ONLY WHAT IS WRITTEN IN HIS WORD DOES!

There are great motivational speakers in the world able to convince one to do, act, & say better. It is ONLY THE SPIRIT OF GOD WHOM CAN EFFECT A TRUE CHANGE IN A PERSON'S HEART.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It depends on who took your questions. They may be uncomfortable with trying to explain the necessity of "penal substitution" in light of some confusion over the language. Or, they may be somewhat liberal in their thinking.

I agree with you Penal Substitution is the very heart of Christ's Salvation. He became our Lawyer, if you will, by providing himself the means of delivering an "innocent" charge. Being that he stands in for us means that his own innocence serves as proof of our own innocence, simply because we accept his offer, by grace, to live in him.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the first five of those, and am stunned people apparently believe in the divinity of Christ but not the Trinity or his Virgin Birth, which is contrary to the Christian Forums statement of faith.
Only 1/2 of the people in that thread agreed that Christ's crucifixion, resurrection, and divinity were essential beliefs!!! This is the core of Christianity. I thought Christians had to believe in these even if they did not understand the Trinity. And look at the answers in this thread (above)! I am disappointed.

That being said I believe he married a Christian lady, so my hope is that he converted her.
You mean your hope is that she converted him to Christianity :).

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It depends on who took your questions. They may be uncomfortable with trying to explain the necessity of "penal substitution" in light of some confusion over the language. Or, they may be somewhat liberal in their thinking.

I agree with you Penal Substitution is the very heart of Christ's Salvation. He became our Lawyer, if you will, by providing himself the means of delivering an "innocent" charge. Being that he stands in for us means that his own innocence serves as proof of our own innocence, simply because we accept his offer, by grace, to live in him.
When we talk to nonbelievers, we are not trying to get them to believe some book, church, doctrine or theology, but we want them to accept through faith: “Jesus Christ and Him crucified”. If that nonbeliever trust (has faith) in Christ and His crucifixion; a child is released and allowed to enter the kingdom where God the Father is, but if the nonbeliever refuses to except, for lack of faith in Jesus Christ and Him crucified, a child is held back by the nonbeliever and not set free to go to the Father.

Does this not sound very much like a kidnapping scenario with a ransom being offered?

“Jesus Christ and Him crucified” is described in scripture by Jesus, John, Paul, Peter and the Hebrew author as being the ransom payment?

Would the sinner holding a child of God out of the Kingdom of God describe a criminal unworthy kidnapper?

“Jesus Christ and Him crucified” is a huge sacrificial payment, so is it like you find with children being ransomed?

God is not a criminal undeserving kidnapper holding His own children and satan is not changeable nor has he the power to hold God’s child back from God, so the unbeliever is the only excellent fit for the kidnapper in the atonement process. If you have no kidnapper then it is not a kidnapping scenario, yet it fits beautifully a kidnapping scenario and really gets the meaning across.

The ransom has been paid for everyone, but not all the sinful kidnappers have accepted the payment.

Penal Substitution (PS) Issues:

1. Unjust and unfair

2. Has God seeing to the torture humiliation and murder of Christ (punishes Christ).

3. Makes God out to be blood thirsty

4. There is no logical part for man to play

5. It is not participative but passive “Christ was crucified so I do not have to be” v.s. “Christ was crucified so I must be crucified”.

6. If Christ is paying it all than there is nothing to forgive.

7. All the benefits from being lovingly fairly justly disciplined are not there with PS.

8. PS mean’s universal atonement was completed for everyone (all were atoned for so all should be saved).

9. Peter does not mention it in his wonderful Christ Crucified sermon on Pentecost, nor any time before the stoning of Steve and afterwards it is questionable.

10. The sin sacrifices of the OT seem not to be substituted like a bag of flour being a human substitute.

11. There are others at the cross which can be seen as a much better substitute for us.

12. The idea is we are crucified “with” Christ and not instead of.

13. The Greek words translate “for” do not support the interpretation of ‘instead of”.

14. It does not explain how atonement is a ransom scenario.

15. The emphasis is on a problem God is having and not man’s problem being solved.

16. It does not fit lots of scripture especially Ro. 3:25

17. PS emphasizes God’s wrath as the problem and not man’s need for discipline.

Can you provide scripture to show Christ not Loving someone?

God can both Love and hate someone just like we are to both Love and hate our family.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When we talk to nonbelievers, we are not trying to get them to believe some book, church, doctrine or theology, but we want them to accept through faith: “Jesus Christ and Him crucified”. If that nonbeliever trust (has faith) in Christ and His crucifixion; a child is released and allowed to enter the kingdom where God the Father is, but if the nonbeliever refuses to except, for lack of faith in Jesus Christ and Him crucified, a child is held back by the nonbeliever and not set free to go to the Father.

Does this not sound very much like a kidnapping scenario with a ransom being offered?

“Jesus Christ and Him crucified” is described in scripture by Jesus, John, Paul, Peter and the Hebrew author as being the ransom payment?

Would the sinner holding a child of God out of the Kingdom of God describe a criminal unworthy kidnapper?

“Jesus Christ and Him crucified” is a huge sacrificial payment, so is it like you find with children being ransomed?

God is not a criminal undeserving kidnapper holding His own children and satan is not changeable nor has he the power to hold God’s child back from God, so the unbeliever is the only excellent fit for the kidnapper in the atonement process. If you have no kidnapper then it is not a kidnapping scenario, yet it fits beautifully a kidnapping scenario and really gets the meaning across.

The ransom has been paid for everyone, but not all the sinful kidnappers have accepted the payment.

1. Unjust and unfair

2. Has God seeing to the torture humiliation and murder of Christ (punishes Christ).

5. It is not participative but passive “Christ was crucified so I do not have to be” v.s. “Christ was crucified so I must be crucified”.

7. All the benefits from being lovingly fairly justly disciplined are not there with PS.

8. PS mean’s universal atonement was completed for everyone (all were atoned for so all should be saved).

9. Peter does not mention it in his wonderful Christ Crucified sermon on Pentecost, nor any time before the stoning of Steve and afterwards it is questionable.

10. The sin sacrifices of the OT seem not to be substituted like a bag of flour being a human substitute.

11. There are others at the cross which can be seen as a much better substitute for us.

13. The Greek words translate “for” do not support the interpretation of ‘instead of”.

15. The emphasis is on a problem God is having and not man’s problem being solved.

God can both Love and hate someone just like we are to both Love and hate our family.

Tools
Unchecked Copy Box
Mar 10:45 - For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
Unchecked Copy Box
1Ti 2:6 - Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When we talk to nonbelievers, we are not trying to get them to believe some book, church, doctrine or theology, but we want them to accept through faith: “Jesus Christ and Him crucified”.
I don't see trying to get nonbelievers to hear the Gospel in a book, namely the Bible, the opposite of getting them to accept Christ by faith. Theology is designed to keep the Gospel simple and pure, so that a person can hear and understand the message, and so accept it if so inclined.

They are drawn not by our methodology but by God's Spirit. But our presentation requires that we recommend belief in a particular message of Salvation, which is by nature theological.
If that nonbeliever trust (has faith) in Christ and His crucifixion; a child is released and allowed to enter the kingdom where God the Father is, but if the nonbeliever refuses to except, for lack of faith in Jesus Christ and Him crucified, a child is held back by the nonbeliever and not set free to go to the Father.

So you're saying that the unbeliever has "kidnapped" his "spiritual child" within until he chooses to accept Christ by faith? I'm a little confused by your example.
I think the word "redemption" says it all. And the word "atonement" does the same. Satisfaction has to be paid to God, and God alone can make the payment if the cost is to be effective *forever.* We are "kidnapped" or "enslaved" by our own sinful nature until we hear God's word and act on it. Then the power within God's word itself liberates us from the bondage of self-effort.

Christ not only liberated us from self-effort, which falls short of eternal atonement, but he provided that eternal atonement that our efforts fell short to accomplish. We do try to remedy and mitigate our sin to some degree, and we should. But only God can pay the cost to make our self-atonement something that works for eternity.

1. Unjust and unfair
Christ paying the cost of our eternal redemption by suffering death on our behalf and rising from the dead seems unfair to him, but not to us. It is a means of forgiving us, simply by enduring our sinfulness and then showing grace to us regardless. That is forgiveness--not unfairness.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

What child is released? What are you even talking about?

You coming up with a kidnapping scenario only beautifully fits according to your construction. It's not what the Bible says.

1. Unjust and unfair
What?? How is it unjust and unfair? Only in the favor of those to whom God chose to show mercy is it unfair.
How is that a problem?

From Acts 2: 23 This man was handed over to you by God’s deliberate plan and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross. 24 But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him.

God INTENDED this. Deliberately planned it.
Personal opinion/ personal anthropomorphism
Actually, there is: Sin

But as to what you meant, why should man have a part to play? Only if one is determined to be self-determining!

Would you have a problem with God creating —boom, over and done with— a creature (certain humans) who is the Body and Bride of Christ, and the Dwelling Place of God? What part does man have to play in such a scenario?
What is not participative? You seem to be conflating salvation with sanctification. We most certainly do partake in his suffering and crucify the flesh.

But why should we be participative in our salvation? It is a gift, to include the very means (faith) by which we are saved.
That is a logical failure. We had a sin debt, it was forgiven. And Christ is how the debt was paid.
Huh? Can you expand on this a bit? I don't get what you mean. How not?
No. It does not, though the universalist would like to hear you say so.
Then why does Acts 2:38 say, 'Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.' ?
This doesn't sound quite cogent to me. Can you rewrite it, or explain what you mean? I don't want to guess.
How so?
Very good. Now you are starting to get the idea. Would you say that we do after all, then, pay our own sin debt (or whatever verbal construction you prefer there)?

Christ died in our place, so now we are crucified with him, therefore we live in him.
Where are you referring to, and in what context?
Sure it does. Ransom means payment for release of a prisoner. Apart from Christ, we are prisoners, even slaves, to sin.
You are using the term, 'problem', there, anthropomorphically, but as to your point, why should the fact of it be problematic for PS?
"God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement" How does that not fit? Or maybe I should say —does every passage of scripture describing what happened at Calvary have to mention PS, for it to be good doctrine? Can you show me one that counters it?
Death and Hell is not discipline.

Agreed. So what is the problem?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tools
Unchecked Copy Box
Mar 10:45 - For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
Unchecked Copy Box
1Ti 2:6 - Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
Who is being paid this unbelievable huge ransom payment to release the child to go to the Father in the Kingdom?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't see trying to get nonbelievers to hear the Gospel in a book, namely the Bible, the opposite of getting them to accept Christ by faith. Theology is designed to keep the Gospel simple and pure, so that a person can hear and understand the message, and so accept it if so inclined.
I did not say the Bible is the opposite of the believing Jesus, for it supports everything Jesus said and did. I am also not saying a person cannot read the Bible and make a commitment to Christ, with a good idea of what is in the Bible. If a person believes the Bible, the church, the doctrine and the theology, but is not willing to accept Jesus Christ and Him crucified, then he is not saved yet, while believe/accepting Jesus Christ and Him Crucified brings salvation.
They are drawn not by our methodology but by God's Spirit. But our presentation requires that we recommend belief in a particular message of Salvation, which is by nature theological.
The best way I know is for the nonbeliever to see/experience Christ living in and through you. He should witness and experience the living Christ: listening to him, teaching him, Loving on him, spending time with him, and correcting him.
So you're saying that the unbeliever has "kidnapped" his "spiritual child" within until he chooses to accept Christ by faith? I'm a little confused by your example.
Yes, we need to get away from blaming: satan, Adam and Eve, sin, evil, God or anyone else for our sinful state and realize we are the sinner, criminal, evil kidnapper of God’s child.
I think the word "redemption" says it all. And the word "atonement" does the same. Satisfaction has to be paid to God, and God alone can make the payment if the cost is to be effective *forever.* We are "kidnapped" or "enslaved" by our own sinful nature until we hear God's word and act on it. Then the power within God's word itself liberates us from the bondage of self-effort.
The Greek word translated “redemption” is no small releasing of a person for a small crime, but very much equal to the release from a tragic situation to real freedom like you find in a kidnapping situation.

You are good to say: "kidnapped" or "enslaved" by our own sinful nature…, since we are to blame for holding the child back. Is it “words” which frees us or accepting God’s Love, seen in His forgiveness and the sacrifice of Christ.
Christ not only liberated us from self-effort, which falls short of eternal atonement, but he provided that eternal atonement that our efforts fell short to accomplish. We do try to remedy and mitigate our sin to some degree, and we should. But only God can pay the cost to make our self-atonement something that works for eternity.

Christ paying the cost of our eternal redemption by suffering death on our behalf and rising from the dead seems unfair to him, but not to us. It is a means of forgiving us, simply by enduring our sinfulness and then showing grace to us regardless. That is forgiveness--not unfairness.
If God forgave us 100%, then there is nothing left to pay.

It is never just/fair to punish the innocent, to allow the guilty to go free. Justice is described in scripture by God and this is not “just”.

Think about this:

There is a, one of a kind, Ming vase on your parent’s mantel that has been handed down by your great, great, grandmother. You, as a young person, get angry with your parents and smash the vase. You are later sorry about it and repent and your loving parent can easily forgive you. Since this was not your first rebellious action your father, in an act of Love, collects every little piece of the vase and you willingly work together with your father hours each night for a month painstakingly gluing the vase back together. The vase is returned to the mantel to be kept as a show piece, but according to Antique Road Show, it is worthless. Working with your father helped you develop a much stronger relationship, comfort in being around him and appreciation for his Love.

Was your father fair/just and would others see this as being fair discipline? Did this “punishment” help resolve the issue?

Was restitution made or was reconciliation made and would you feel comfortable/ justified standing by your father in the future?

Suppose after smashing the vase, repenting and forgiveness, your older brother says he will work with your father putting the vase together, so you can keep up with your social life. Would this scenario allow you to stand comfortable and justified by your father?

Suppose Jesus the magician waved his hands over the smashed vase and restored it perfectly to the previous condition, so there is really very little for you to be forgiven of or for you to do. Would this scenario allow you to stand comfortable and justified by your father?

What are the benefits of being lovingly disciplined?

Suppose it is not you that breaks the Ming vase but your neighbor breaks into your house because he does not like your family being so nice and smashes the Ming vase, but he is caught on a security camera. Your father goes to your neighbor with the box of pieces and offers to do the same thing with him as he offered to do with you, but the neighbor refuses. Your father explains: everything is caught on camera and he will be fined and go to jail, but the neighbor, although sorry about being caught, still refuses. The neighbor loses all he has and spends 10 years in jail. So was the neighbor fairly disciplined or fairly punished?

How does the neighbor’s punishment equal your discipline and how is it not equal?

Was the neighbor forgiven and if not why not?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What child is released? What are you even talking about?
God’s child. The evil criminal sinner is holding back a child of God within them, by not accepting the ransom payment.
You coming up with a kidnapping scenario only beautifully fits according to your construction. It's not what the Bible says.
The Bible is describing a kidnapping scenario.
What?? How is it unjust and unfair? Only in the favor of those to whom God chose to show mercy is it unfair.
It is totally unjust and unfair to punish the innocent to allow the guilty to go free.
How is that a problem?

From Acts 2: 23 This man was handed over to you by God’s deliberate plan and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross. 24 But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him.

God INTENDED this. Deliberately planned it.
Yes, God “intended” to allow wicked people to torture, humiliate and murder Christ, but it was not to “punish” Christ, He is totally innocent.
Personal opinion/ personal anthropomorphism
How does PS not make God out to be blood thirsty?
Actually, there is: Sin
Sin is not part of the atonement process (the solution).
But as to what you meant, why should man have a part to play? Only if one is determined to be self-determining!

Would you have a problem with God creating —boom, over and done with— a creature (certain humans) who is the Body and Bride of Christ, and the Dwelling Place of God? What part does man have to play in such a scenario?
Yes, set only some up for success and not providing for others to be successful is totally not Loving on God’s part.

If man does not have a part to play than it is universal or as you might say limited for no special reason.
What is not participative? You seem to be conflating salvation with sanctification. We most certainly do partake in his suffering and crucify the flesh.

But why should we be participative in our salvation? It is a gift, to include the very means (faith) by which we are saved.
Where is our participation found in PS?

Our “participation” is found in our acceptance of the huge ransom payment.
That is a logical failure. We had a sin debt, it was forgiven. And Christ is how the debt was paid.
If the debt was paid 100% there is nothing to be forgiven.
Huh? Can you expand on this a bit? I don't get what you mean. How not?
Can you be a good parent and not negatively discipline you children if you have the opportunity?
Think about this:

There is a, one of a kind, Ming vase on your parent’s mantel that has been handed down by your great, great, grandmother. You, as a young person, get angry with your parents and smash the vase. You are later sorry about it and repent and your loving parent can easily forgive you. Since this was not your first rebellious action your father, in an act of Love, collects every little piece of the vase and you willingly work together with your father hours each night for a month painstakingly gluing the vase back together. The vase is returned to the mantel to be kept as a show piece, but according to Antique Road Show, it is worthless. Working with your father helped you develop a much stronger relationship, comfort in being around him and appreciation for his Love.

Was your father fair/just and would others see this as being fair discipline? Did this “punishment” help resolve the issue?

Was restitution made or was reconciliation made and would you feel comfortable/ justified standing by your father in the future?

Suppose after smashing the vase, repenting and forgiveness, your older brother says he will work with your father putting the vase together, so you can keep up with your social life. Would this scenario allow you to stand comfortable and justified by your father?

Suppose Jesus the magician waved his hands over the smashed vase and restored it perfectly to the previous condition, so there is really very little for you to be forgiven of or for you to do. Would this scenario allow you to stand comfortable and justified by your father?

What are the benefits of being lovingly disciplined?

Suppose it is not you that breaks the Ming vase but your neighbor breaks into your house because he does not like your family being so nice and smashes the Ming vase, but he is caught on a security camera. Your father goes to your neighbor with the box of pieces and offers to do the same thing with him as he offered to do with you, but the neighbor refuses. Your father explains: everything is caught on camera and he will be fined and go to jail, but the neighbor, although sorry about being caught, still refuses. The neighbor loses all he has and spends 10 years in jail. So was the neighbor fairly disciplined or fairly punished?

How does the neighbor’s punishment equal your discipline and how is it not equal?

Was the neighbor forgiven and if not why not?
No. It does not, though the universalist would like to hear you say so.

Then why does Acts 2:38 say, 'Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.' ?
Where is PS talked about by Peter in Acts 2?
This doesn't sound quite cogent to me. Can you rewrite it, or explain what you mean? I don't want to guess.
Lev. 5 describes atonement for minor (unintentional sins) but it does not say the offering was a substitute for the sinner, but was a penalty (“punishment” and that can mean a “disciplining”).
I am more like those in the mob yelling “crucify Him”. Are you like Christ on the cross?
Very good. Now you are starting to get the idea. Would you say that we do after all, then, pay our own sin debt (or whatever verbal construction you prefer there)?

Christ died in our place, so now we are crucified with him, therefore we live in him.
NO!!! God forgives our sin debt; nothing can pay that debt. We are being disciplined for our sins by empathetically being crucified with Christ.
Where are you referring to, and in what context?
Crucified “for” you or crucified “for” sin.
Sure it does. Ransom means payment for release of a prisoner. Apart from Christ, we are prisoners, even slaves, to sin.
If there is no kidnapper it is not the ransom being discussed in the NT, so who is the kidnapper with PS?
You are using the term, 'problem', there, anthropomorphically, but as to your point, why should the fact of it be problematic for PS?
God has no “problems”, all the problems are man’s problems, God can forgive without the need for Christ going to the cross.
"God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement" How does that not fit? Or maybe I should say —does every passage of scripture describing what happened at Calvary have to mention PS, for it to be good doctrine? Can you show me one that counters it?
Ro. 3:25 states: “…He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished” that would also mean after the cross sinners are punished (disciplined), while before the cross forgiven sinners were not disciplined.
Death and Hell is not discipline.
Right, death is not bad in and of itself (it is the way good people go to heaven and the way bad people quit doing bad stuff. Hell is for those who refuse to humbly accept God’s discipline for their sins, so it is punishment.
Agreed. So what is the problem?
The problem is, most people defending PS say: “God does not Love everyone”.

Upvote 0