Do most millennials spend their time alone?

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I sometimes feel like I am wasting my 20s. Only 3.5 years until I'm 30. YIKES.

Yikes?

Some of us millennials are turning 40 in less than 3.5 months (or already have). Should I just check myself into my nearest elder care center now? I don't even think they'd accept me:

"Sir, you're not even quite 40 yet, and we are for 55+..."
"Yes, but the internet says I'm oooooold!"

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟535,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Yikes?

Some of us millennials are turning 40 in less than 3.5 months (or already have). Should I just check myself into my nearest elder care center now? I don't even think they'd accept me:

There's been a couple of times I've looked for an apartment, driven by a nice looking spot with a 'Now Leasing' or 'Units Available ' banner prominently displayed, and walked into the office only to be told it was a seniors community.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Yikes?

Oh no! I wasn't implying anyone in their 40s+ is old ;) I feel like sometimes I'm just wasting my life. hence, YIKES

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟63,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Is it just me or does our generation not seem to be a social as pervious ones? We much prefer to spend time on our phones and avoid face-to-face contact. I'm talking about younger millennials, not those who graduated HS in the late 90s or early 2000s.

I graduated from HS in 2014 and am 26. Very few people try to contact me nowadays.

I thought it was just me that was lonely.

I had been doing good on socializing at work and making friends. I typically have just that one friend at work (I job-hopped several times last decade), but I'm content with that. But the problem is I lost the last one at my current job (we had been romantic with each other, then I found out he had been lying about having a girlfriend). There is a woman at work that I'm sort of friends with; definitely not on the same friend level as with the guy, but it's something.

I do not have any contact with anyone I went to school with. It's because I got rid of my Facebook account, plus some other things. Like one of my childhood friends stopped being friends with me 5 years ago because I didn't agree with his homosexuality. Even most of my family doesn't communicate with me because of the Facebook situation.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I thought it was just me that was lonely.

I had been doing good on socializing at work and making friends. I typically have just that one friend at work (I job-hopped several times last decade), but I'm content with that. But the problem is I lost the last one at my current job (we had been romantic with each other, then I found out he had been lying about having a girlfriend). There is a woman at work that I'm sort of friends with; definitely not on the same friend level as with the guy, but it's something.

I do not have any contact with anyone I went to school with. It's because I got rid of my Facebook account, plus some other things. Like one of my childhood friends stopped being friends with me 5 years ago because I didn't agree with his homosexuality. Even most of my family doesn't communicate with me because of the Facebook situation.
Thanks for the input

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I like to be alone, even though I'm married with step kids and a baby on the way and friends and all that. I need to be alone to recharge. It's more that I'm an introvert than being a Millennial.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟63,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I like to be alone, even though I'm married with step kids and a baby on the way and friends and all that. I need to be alone to recharge. It's more that I'm an introvert than being a Millennial.

I'm the same way too - I've got to be alone to recharge.

Upvote 0

Cody J Dunbar

Cody-Gregory
Oct 19, 2022
Harrisburg, PA
✟13,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is it just me or does our generation not seem to be a social as pervious ones? We much prefer to spend time on our phones and avoid face-to-face contact. I'm talking about younger millennials, not those who graduated HS in the late 90s or early 2000s.

I graduated from HS in 2014 and am 26. Very few people try to contact me nowadays.
I don't think so. I graduated in 2012, and I regularly hang out with old friends weekly. I don't mean just at church, either. We go to wing nights at local bars and have movie nights or play video games like split screen. I feel like we are the last generation that has these types of things. Most of my friends are single I am one of the few that is married, and I feel like that, more than anything, has had an impact on my social life.

At work the other day, I had a slightly younger guy, maybe 22 or 23 ask me why I always come over to talk to him. I said, "what do you mean?" and he said, "You know, face to face, why don't you like to message on teams." I was dumbfounded. I would never have thought someone would prefer text to face-to-face conversation.

Maybe I am an outlier, but I don't think so. I am generally introverted, but I grew up interacting with people this way, so it feels natural to me.

Reactions: Plenipotent
Upvote 0

Faithfulandtrue

Follow of Jesus Christ
Jun 24, 2014
✟38,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you notice a significant decrease in that contact with COVID and the lockdowns?
I did! I lost all but one of my friends. I grew angry and resentful towards people at my old church because everyone acted like picking up the phone and talking to me would get them sick or something. I had one really paranoid friend who didn't want to hang out because she was afraid of getting it even though I wasn't sick. I understood at the time and tried to put our political differences aside. Then I found out she was hanging out with strangers she met on Facebook and even stayed with one on her vacation to out of state. I felt hurt and angry about that because I wasn't vaccinated she didn't want to be around me. Even though those people still got sick including her. I have had people reach out to me this last week but I'm kinda like what took so long mindset. Once people leave my life for a long period of time I have a hard time trusting them and letting them back in again.

Upvote 0

Faithfulandtrue

Follow of Jesus Christ
Jun 24, 2014
✟38,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I sometimes feel like I am wasting my 20s. Only 3.5 years until I'm 30. YIKES.
I used to feel like that too. Don't. Remember our Lord chose to start His ministry when he was 30. I think people today have bombarded us with unrealistic expectations before we hit 30. I'm choosing to look at it as the party just getting started from now on. I spent my 20s slaving away at Chick-fil-A feeling depressed that I wasn't getting married yet nor having a career plan. Don't get caught up in mans time frame. God is in control of our lives not anyone else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Faithfulandtrue

Follow of Jesus Christ
Jun 24, 2014
✟38,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think so. I graduated in 2012, and I regularly hang out with old friends weekly. I don't mean just at church, either. We go to wing nights at local bars and have movie nights or play video games like split screen. I feel like we are the last generation that has these types of things. Most of my friends are single I am one of the few that is married, and I feel like that, more than anything, has had an impact on my social life.

At work the other day, I had a slightly younger guy, maybe 22 or 23 ask me why I always come over to talk to him. I said, "what do you mean?" and he said, "You know, face to face, why don't you like to message on teams." I was dumbfounded. I would never have thought someone would prefer text to face-to-face conversation.

Maybe I am an outlier, but I don't think so. I am generally introverted, but I grew up interacting with people this way, so it feels natural to me.
That's kinda scary if that's where society is headed. I miss face to face outings. After the lockdown churches in my area don't even advertise advents...unless they just do it on social media of which I no longer have lol. I miss hanging out with friends but it's hard to meet people.

Upvote 0

Faithfulandtrue

Follow of Jesus Christ
Jun 24, 2014
✟38,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm one of the old millennials. I graduated high school in 2003. Most of us didn't have cell phones when I was in school. There were a handful of people who had cell phones but most of us carried a phone card to use at pay phones, which were still readily available.

Times have changed and we were more social in our 20s than we are now. I miss the old ways.
I miss phone booths. I think they should still be around because there's been times when my phone died and I have no way of charging it or what if someone loses their phone. I've been thinking about buying a real alarm clock so I can stop relying on my phone for everything. And blue screen light from our phones isn't good for us.

• Agree
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I used to feel like that too. Don't. Remember our Lord chose to start His ministry when he was 30. I think people today have bombarded us with unrealistic expectations before we hit 30. I'm choosing to look at it as the party just getting started from now on. I spent my 20s slaving away at Chick-fil-A feeling depressed that I wasn't getting married yet nor having a career plan. Don't get caught up in mans time frame. God is in control of our lives not anyone else.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟63,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think people today have bombarded us with unrealistic expectations before we hit 30.

100% true. When I was a young adult, the Boomer adults expected us to know what we wanted to do with our lives, we were expected to go to college (if you didn't you would end up a loser), and you better be making good money when you graduate college. That didn't happen.And also, we were told that we would meet our future spouses at college. That didn't happen either. So I ended up single with a college degree and several lousy, low-paying jobs.

Upvote 0