Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
So the Masons weren't founded by surviving Templars who held the secret of the holy grail?

Well I'll be darned.

-CryptoLutheran

No. That is a theory that very few Masonic historians believe to be true. It makes a fun story in a book or two but isn't likely.

The most common theory is that the Masonic lodge came from the craft guilds in England and then, over time, developed into a society that included both working Masons and those interested in craft itself.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
No. Usually our regalia is only for our own meetings. It is only rarely that Masonic aprons are worn in public for certain kinds of processions. The apron is our only "uniform" so to speak.

Our regalia was reserved for meetings, too.
How about a secret sign, or can you not disclose that?

Upvote 0

circuitrider

United Methodist
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Our regalia was reserved for meetings, too.
How about a secret sign, or can you not disclose that?

Are you asking for a secret sign? Or asking how they are used?

Masons have private means of identification if that is what you are asking. But that usually isn't necessary. Most Masons in the US are quite open about their membership and may be wearing a Masonic ring or lapel pin. I wear my Masonic ring most every day. So it is pretty clear I'm a Mason to anyone who wants to look at the square and compass symbol on my ring.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No. That is a theory that very few Masonic historians believe to be true. It makes a fun story in a book or two but isn't likely.

The most common theory is that the Masonic lodge came from the craft guilds in England and then, over time, developed into a society that included both working Masons and those interested in craft itself.

I really need to start adding smiley faces when I'm being snarky.:cool:

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: isleof
Upvote 0

circuitrider

United Methodist
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I really need to start adding smiley faces when I'm being snarky.:cool:

-CryptoLutheran

Hey, sorry. Hard to tell on this forum. I've seen people argue for some pretty weird stuff around here. So you never know what someone is going to post. :)

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you asking for a secret sign? Or asking how they are used?

What the sign is.
I'm totally serious when I say Daffy is doing the actual Elks sign:
Daffy%2BElk%2BPhone%2BWallpaper.jpg

We didn't jump up and down and scream, but the hand positioning is accurate.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I'm a Freemason. If you'd like to ask questions, either here or in private notes, I'd be happy to answer them.

Are there restrictions on what fraternal organizations Masons can be a part of? Like college fraternities? etc.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What the sign is.
I'm totally serious when I say Daffy is doing the actual Elks sign:
Daffy%2BElk%2BPhone%2BWallpaper.jpg

We didn't jump up and down and scream, but the hand positioning is accurate.

Back when I worked at Walmart in my early 20's employees in the morning had to do the "Walmart Cheer" involving spelling out and yelling the letters that spell Walmart.

Fortunately we smokers didn't have to participate as we happily hid ourselves away in the smoke room. Though we did get to hear it every morning.

I'm still not entirely convinced Walmart isn't a cult.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

circuitrider

United Methodist
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Are there restrictions on what fraternal organizations Masons can be a part of? Like college fraternities? etc.

Sort of. There is a system of recognition between Masonic jurisdiction such as Grand Lodges in one state or another and between different countries. Also some people have gone and started their own fraternities that aren't actually connected to the original Masonic lodges but call themselves "Masonic." You aren't supposed to join a lodge in an unrecognized jurisdiction or one that is not chartered by a regular Grand Lodge.

There are no restrictions on joining any non-masonic fraternal groups. I know a lot of Masons who are also a part of some other fraternal order.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

circuitrider

United Methodist
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Back when I worked at Walmart in my early 20's employees in the morning had to do the "Walmart Cheer" involving spelling out and yelling the letters that spell Walmart.

Fortunately we smokers didn't have to participate as we happily hid ourselves away in the smoke room. Though we did get to hear it every morning.

I'm still not entirely convinced Walmart isn't a cult.

-CryptoLutheran

Pretty strange Crypto. Yes, Walmart is a cult. No Freemasonry isn't. :)

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
There are no restrictions on joining any non-masonic fraternal groups. I know a lot of Masons who are also a part of some other fraternal order.

How about restrictions on regular Mason membership?
The Elks do not allow communists or atheists to join (though they don't care what your religion is, as long as you believe in at least one god). Not sure if this is still accurate, but only a very few allowed women to join as full fledged members, and a few lodges had a women's auxiliary.

Upvote 0

circuitrider

United Methodist
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
How about restrictions on regular Mason membership?
The Elks do not allow communists or atheists to join (though they don't care what your religion is, as long as you believe in at least one god). Not sure if this is still accurate, but only a very few allowed women to join as full fledged members, and a few lodges had a women's auxiliary.

Yes, there are membership requirements. We only accept men of high moral character. You must believe in God. Freemasonry is a fraternity so the membership is male only. Women can join a co-ed group which is called the Eastern Star which is related to Freemasonry because the male members of Eastern Star have to be Masons and the female members must be family of a Mason.

Men in my jurisdiction must be elected to membership by unanimous ballot.

Upvote 0

circuitrider

United Methodist
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
The whole Baphomet thing was a hoax created to bring down the Knights Templar in the middle ages by the Vatican and the King of France.

That hoax actually has nothing to do with Freemasonry since the original Knights Templar have no historical connection with Freemasonry. But in any event, the accusations were untrue. There was no such thing as "Baphomet" until the hoax was created.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 14, 2010
San Juan del Río
✟26,797.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The whole Baphomet thing was a hoax created to bring down the Knights Templar in the middle ages by the Vatican and the King of France.

That hoax actually has nothing to do with Freemasonry since the original Knights Templar have no historical connection with Freemasonry. But in any event, the accusations were untrue. There was no such thing as "Baphomet" until the hoax was created.

Ok you may say so if current lodges were not appreciating baphomet. The Link I brought you is from a Masonic Lodge.

http://centauro996.wordpress.com/baphomet-el-dios-de-la-luz/

Upvote 0

circuitrider

United Methodist
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
If you read the comments you'd find out that the article is not a Masonic article. It is written by a member of the OTO, which is not a Masonic organization. I also cannot tell from the website if the lodge is affiliated with a regular Masonic jurisdiction or not.

Be that as it may, Baphomet is not part of Masonic ritual or teaching. The web master appears to have posted an OTO article that he found interesting, nothing more.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, if they're anything like the Elks (another fraternal organization), it's a bunch of old, white men sitting in the basement of their lodge drinking alcohol and watching sports.

The Prince Hall Masonic lodge is black, created because they were not permitted to enter the white Scottish Rite Masonic lodge.

Upvote 0

circuitrider

United Methodist
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
The Prince Hall Masonic lodge is black, created because they were not permitted to enter the white Scottish Rite Masonic lodge.

Scottish Rite is an appendant body not a Masonic lodge. You have to join a regular lodge first to join Scottish Rite.

It is true that Prince Hall was started because years ago Masonry was like many churches, racially divided, that has changed in most jurisdictions in the US. There are white and black members of lodges I'm a member of and of the Scottish Rite group I'm a member of in Iowa.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.