Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Do masons intend to explain their intent?

I mean, who claims to be a mason in secret? Isn't God the light of the world? So who claims to have a purpose and hides it under a table?

Well, if they're anything like the Elks (another fraternal organization), it's a bunch of old, white men sitting in the basement of their lodge drinking alcohol and watching sports.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I've never had any interest in the Masons but as someone in both a music fraternity and an esoteric order I'd say that its mostly because people of similar interests like to gather. For example, we're pretty welcoming but we wouldn't expect any initiate to go through the process who wasn't truly interested in it. It sort of is an evolution of knowledge and wisdom with a the various levels, much like Masonry.

Plus some organizations just like to be quiet. If you are assuming the Mason's seek to "convert" people I think you're missing the point. The order I am a part of is a hundred times less informal than the Masons and is made up of pagans, most pagans aren't really interested in converting people. We mostly like to be left alone.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
I don't understand why people are so terrified of Masons. They're basically a fraternity for older, well-off people.

That's what they are now, but in the 18th and 19th centuries when autocracies often reigned, Freemasonry gave younger men the opportunity to discuss politics behind closed doors. That's probably what gave fodder to all the conspiracy theories associated with them. The truth is Freemasons generally supported Enlightenment and democratic ideals. They met in secret because in those days that is the only way such ideals could be spread.

Upvote 0

BaconWizard

Jan 8, 2014
UK
✟16,242.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
That's what they are now, but in the 18th and 19th centuries when autocracies often reigned, Freemasonry gave younger men the opportunity to discuss politics behind closed doors. That's probably what gave fodder to all the conspiracy theories associated with them. The truth is Freemasons generally supported Enlightenment and democratic ideals. They met in secret because in those days that is the only way such ideals could be spread.

Some of the rituals are quite strange, and the secrecy is incredible. It makes one wonder what they are protecting or afraid-of to go to those lengths.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Naah, the rituals and secrecy are half of the fun!

It's hardly secret anymore. They have a detailed wiki page and the History Channel had a few documentaries detailing the rituals and their meanings.

Upvote 0

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married

Makes sense to me.

Naah, the rituals and secrecy are half of the fun!

I agree! I guess I like the whole concept of discovering secret or restricted information hence both my obsession with esoteric concepts and computer security. :D

It's hardly secret anymore. They have a detailed wiki page and the History Channel had a few documentaries detailing the rituals and their meanings.

This is also true, its basically an open secret. Many fraternities have that sort of leaking occurring too. Small, obscure groups may not because of security by obscurity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godisgood12

Nov 30, 2013
✟1,558.00
Faith
Christian
So we all agree that mason's are kinda lame? I have never heard of them proclaiming to be a religion, so I think Im clear of any violations with forum rules.

Is the society so secret in order to hide something so big? Or is it so secret that it wants to overcompensate for what it lacks? Perhaps it has no secret and simply wants to be left alone to feel special about itself.

Reactions: isleof
Upvote 0

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
So we all agree that mason's are kinda lame? I have never heard of them proclaiming to be a religion, so I think Im clear of any violations with forum rules.

Is the society so secret in order to hide something so big? Or is it so secret that it wants to overcompensate for what it lacks? Perhaps it has no secret and simply wants to be left alone to feel special about itself.

Some more paranoid groups seem to think they are some sort of Deist-inspired Satanists (which doesn't even make sense) but no, I don't think most people would regard them as religious.

The second question I think is a good psychological one about the nature of fraternities. Maybe its a combination of all three or none? Interesting question.

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I was an officer in the Elks and they have similar silly rituals. I think it's about feeling special, but there are perks to being a member.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
I was an officer in the Elks and they have similar silly rituals. I think it's about feeling special, but there are perks to being a member.

Let's keep in mind also what the Shriners do for children. Most insurance companies will not pay for orthotics, something my son needed as a toddler and I had no money to purchase. The Shriners picked up the bill.

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's keep in mind also what the Shriners do for children. Most insurance companies will not pay for orthotics, something my son needed as a toddler and I had no money to purchase. The Shriners picked up the bill.

Definitely give them credit for that. Disabled children are the primary beneficiary for charitable donations from the Elks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ecclectic79

Prayer in Breakbeat
Mar 4, 2013
United States
✟16,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This and it got to be a place as well where religious philosophy and historicity were taken for a road-test in ways that couldn't be done when state religions were autocratic. Seems like anyone who really wanted to explore reality under those conditions and have other people to explore it with had to go underground. These days I get the impression that the silence on a lot of things Masonic or mystic in general is somewhat less about what it once was from that standpoint and more about being able to practice their ontic beliefs in peace as well as the additional belief that there is such a thing as psychic/spiritual development and that certain bits of info can be dangerous to people who don't have the structure yet to handle them (stuff that would just sound to most people like loopy high-order metaphysics to most people anyway).

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm a Freemason. If you'd like to ask questions, either here or in private notes, I'd be happy to answer them.

Do the Masons have a "uniform" for official public appearances?
In the Elks, we would have to wear a tuxedo.

Upvote 0

circuitrider

United Methodist
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Do the Masons have a "uniform" for official public appearances?
In the Elks, we would have to wear a tuxedo.

No. Usually our regalia is only for our own meetings. It is only rarely that Masonic aprons are worn in public for certain kinds of processions. The apron is our only "uniform" so to speak.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.