Not Saying
✟20,412.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been depressed for a while now. Everything just feels dark. I feel guilty for being happy.

So I finally talked to a fellow Christian about it and he told me that I have to repent for those thoughts.

Do I? I know it's bad but am I commiting sin for being depressed?

He said "I urge you to depart from such mindsets asap and repent of those kinds of thoughts, especially from feeling sorry for yourself for those things of the past or whatever is driving those kinds of feelings.

He also said it is a very UNGODLY thinking pattern and is the result of demonic forces working in my life.

I don't necessarily feel sorry for myself, I just feel like everything is bleak and drab, and I've been praying and praying and praying for help and no answer.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've been depressed for a while now. Everything just feels dark. I feel guilty for being happy.

So I finally talked to a fellow Christian about it and he told me that I have to repent for those thoughts.

Do I?
No.

I know it's bad but am I commiting sin for being depressed?
No.

He also said it is a very UNGODLY thinking pattern and is the result of demonic forces working in my life.
Probably not.

I don't necessarily feel sorry for myself, I just feel like everything is bleak and drab, and I've been praying and praying and praying for help and no answer.
This is not an unusual turn of events you are describing to us, so a professional counselor might be helpful. But such "down" periods in a person's life will often pass when new experiences come into play. Have you tried striking out on some new activities that you could really sink your efforts into and take satisfaction from?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

boxman144

Mar 7, 2020
Not Saying
✟20,412.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No.

No.

Probably not.

This is not an usual turn of events you are describing to us, so a professional counselor might be helpful. But such "down" periods in a person's life will often pass when new experiences come into play. Have you tried striking out on some new activities that you could really sink your efforts into and take satisfaction from?

I want to start playing piano and guitar and drums and continue making more art.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

He said "I urge you to depart from such mindsets asap and repent of those kinds of thoughts, especially from feeling sorry for yourself for those things of the past or whatever is driving those kinds of feelings.

...boxman144, while I understand partly what your friend is saying, I think he takes it too far to assert that feeling generally depressed is some kind of 'sin.'

Right now with everything that's going on in the world, I think it's safe to say we're ALL feeling the pressure of what are obviously less than favorable circumstances, and we're all having to deal with it each in our own way. So, just know that you're in good company, and I for one don't think the Bible teaches us that feeling bad and sad is, at all times, a sin to experience.

Upvote 0

boxman144

Mar 7, 2020
Not Saying
✟20,412.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...boxman144, while I understand partly what you're friend is saying, I think he takes it too far to assert that feeling generally depressed is some kind of 'sin.'

Right now, with everything that's going on in the world, I think it's safe to say we're ALL feeling the pressure of what are obviously less than favorable circumstances, and we're all having to deal with it each in our own way. So, just know that you're in good company, and I for one don't think the Bible teaches us that feeling bad and sad is, at all times, a sin to experience.

Thank you friend. Everything is taking a toll on me

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
repent for those thoughts.
Our Apostle Paul says >

"bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ"

in 2 Corinthians 10:5.

So . . . in the case when a thought is wrong . . . repenting of it is not all we need to do.

So, then, if he only told you to repent of certain thoughts, I am curious if all he does is repent of thoughts he finds to be sins.

There are thought experts who might tell you to control your thoughts . . . but this is so you can control your life, yourself, and get things you want . . . maybe using God, by thinking the magic thoughts which will get God to do what you want.

So, there is a difference between thought control for the sake of your own control and life, versus going from wrong thoughts to personally submitting to how Jesus rules our minds and hearts . . . in His peace.

So, then, if your thoughts are helping to keep you from submitting to Jesus in His peace . . . I call that sin, when I let my thinking bring me to stinking instead of to Jesus. And this is a major issue, for me, but I don't need anyone giving me excuses.

Because God's word is clear how if we pray the way God means, in Philippians 4:4-7,

"the peace of God will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

But our own efforts and methods can not work, because we are not almighty. God's peace is almighty. But with God we are required to obey how He guides our thinking and intentions. And in order to stay in this peace we need to stay attentive to Him, then, not be trying to do things we want, on our own.

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." (in Luke 9:23)

So, even if what you have been thinking is wrong, if all he is doing is telling you how to manage yourself . . . may be you need to give him some Biblical advice. After all, we Jesus people help each other :)

Upvote 0

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What are you depressed about?

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Mineral or vitamin imbalances can cause depression. If thats not your case then maybe this will help:

I've found that since we were born in a fallen world, it is easier and comfortable to rely on pain and darkness because that's what we've known all of our lives. I mean, when we are born we are even received into the world with a slap on our bottoms; pain. We are afraid to be happy because of being afraid of being dragged back into darkness so we prefer staying in a safe place. Eventually is just easier and comfortable staying in misery, that way you don't get disappointed. You see it all the time in artists. You can see is easy to manifest the darkness in music, movies and art, because it flows easily. The thing is, Jesus died to give us life. His life produces the gifts of the Spirit; joy is one of them. It takes work to believe what God says about you because all the evidence tells you otherwise, but God tells us not to rely on our understanding. Living from the river and tree of life (Jesus) takes times; in prayer, meditation and communion with the Spirit. But, it is possible to achieve and have a constant flow from Him.

About repenting, you should repent IF you agree with the depression thoughts.

• Agree
Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

boxman144

Mar 7, 2020
Not Saying
✟20,412.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What are you depressed about?

Look at this video:

It makes me anxious and I know that I'm not good enough because I haven't been resisting my sins and when I do my sin it temporarily takes me out of my depression and it's like a drug. I won't specify my sin because I don't think the mods will let me but I'm addicted to my sin and I'm trying to get my sins gone but I know I'm going to Hell now.

Upvote 0

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm addicted to my sin and I'm trying to get my sins gone but I know I'm going to Hell now.

Are you born again?
"BORN AGAIN">
Not just water baptized, not just involved with taking sacraments...
ARE YOU BORN AGAIN. ???????
boxman144.....Is there a day in your life, where you remember that you heard that Jesus died on a Cross, and that you wanted to go to Jesus on that Cross and find forgiveness for all your sin, and you DID. ??
Did you do this?
Do you remember that day, as that day is your 2nd Birth Day, boxman144.

If you don't have that, then you need to take Jesus into your heart today, and let Him give you forgiveness, and peace, forever.

But, lets say you did.....
Well, when you live now in a backslidden condition, = your feelings are a mess of a confused mess.
You will feel elated, damned, guilty, angry, oddly alive.....oddly feeling FREE.. Its a weird spiritual condition to be saved yet walking totally backslidden in the flesh, as your mind and your feelings will be unhinged and out of sync, just so weird.
As you have discovered....

So, here is what you have to believe.
Believe this...and only this..
The same God who saves, .. The same God who offers the Blood of Jesus as a "GIFT", that we have been given, is the same Heavenly Father who will never let you go.
God will never let you go and God will never give up on you.
Never...Not ever.
He is your God, your Father, and your unconditional Love.
You have not changed God's Love for you, or His acceptance of you..
Its the same as it was the second you were saved, and will always be the same.
BUT, what has changed is your own perception of your relationship with God.
You see it as ..."Im away from God in my heart, so this means im not His anymore at all".
And that is not true.
See, if you were not His, you would not care about any of this.....
That is how it works.

So, let go of your guilt, stop worrying about what you've done, and just come home to God.

See, this picture..

LOOK>

> It is nearly dark outside...there is just a little bit of light left.
You are walking alone down a long dirt road.
You've been walking a long time and you are tired and want to rest.
You can see at the end of the road, there is an odd light shining.
As you get closer you see a house, its a simple white house.
It all the windows, there are candles. Dozens of Candles.....All lit....All burning.....All this LIGHT.
The Door, the front door is Open... And by the door is Jesus.
There is Jesus..
He is standing there, waiting for you to come home.
He was always waiting. He IS always waiting....
And boxman144...Jesus is smiling.
His arms are outstretched to you..
He is so glad you are near...
He wants you to come home.
He's been waiting.
Always..

Go home.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

boxman144

Mar 7, 2020
Not Saying
✟20,412.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you born again?
"BORN AGAIN">
Not just water baptized, not just involved with taking sacraments...
ARE YOU BORN AGAIN. ???????
boxman144.....Is there a day in your life, where you remember that you heard that Jesus died on a Cross, and that you wanted to go to Jesus on that Cross and find forgiveness for all your sin, and you DID. ??
Did you do this?
Do you remember that day, as that day is your 2nd Birth Day, boxman144.

If you don't have that, then you need to take Jesus into your heart today, and let Him give you forgiveness, and peace, forever.

But, lets say you did.....
Well, when you live now in a backslidden condition, = your feelings are a mess of a confused mess.
You will feel elated, damned, guilty, angry, oddly alive.....oddly feeling FREE.. Its a weird spiritual condition to be saved yet walking totally backslidden in the flesh, as your mind and your feelings will be unhinged and out of sync, just so weird.
As you have discovered....

So, here is what you have to believe.
Believe this...and only this..
The same God who saves, .. The same God who offers the Blood of Jesus as a "GIFT", that we have been given, is the same Heavenly Father who will never let you go.
God will never let you go and God will never give up on you.
Never...Not ever.
He is your God, your Father, and your unconditional Love.
You have not changed God's Love for you, or His acceptance of you..
Its the same as it was the second you were saved, and will always be the same.
BUT, what has changed is your own perception of your relationship with God.
You see it as ..."Im away from God in my heart, so this means im not His anymore at all".
And that is not true.
See, if you were not His, you would not care about any of this.....
That is how it works.

So, let go of your guilt, stop worrying about what you've done, and just come home to God.

See, this picture..

LOOK>

> It is nearly dark outside...there is just a little bit of light left.
You are walking alone down a long dirt road.
You've been walking a long time and you are tired and want to rest.
You can see at the end of the road, there is an odd light shining.
As you get closer you see a house, its a simple white house.
It all the windows, there are candles. Dozens of Candles.....All lit....All burning.....All this LIGHT.
The Door, the front door is Open... And by the door is Jesus.
There is Jesus..
He is standing there, waiting for you to come home.
He was always waiting. He IS always waiting....
And boxman144...Jesus is smiling.
His arm are outstretched to you..
He is so glad you are near...
He wants you to come home.
He's been waiting.
Always..

Yes, I totally repented of being an atheist in February. I don't remember the exact date but I do remember that day.

But what about John 3:5? I have't gotten baptized ever.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I totally repented of being an atheist in February. I don't remember the exact date but I do remember that day.

If you've accepted Christ as your Lord and Savior, you need to be baptized. That would naturally be done by whichever church you choose to join.

Upvote 0

boxman144

Mar 7, 2020
Not Saying
✟20,412.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you've accepted Christ as your Lord and Savior, you need to be baptized. That would naturally be done by whichever church you choose to join.

I've been wanting to get baptized for a while but never got the opportunity.

• Winner
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_JAY

Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
North Central
✟484,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know some well meaning people, including one you mentioned in your OP, can say some very unhelpful things, and at times untrue. I would stay away from most that mention demons.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've been wanting to get baptized for a while but never got the opportunity.
Well, I don't mean to quiz you, but do you attend church services? You should.

So the answer is that whichever pastor is in charge of the local congregation would be more than happy to counsel you and baptize you.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

You don't have to repent for being/feeling depressed.
He is sort of correct in that those thoughts are easily exploited, and perhaps planted, by the enemy. The brokenness is not your sin, but it can be used as a platform for sin.
If you believe things about God and his attitude toward you that are against what the Bible teaches, you should repent of those, and ask for faith to believe in God as he truly is, in spite of what you see or feel that is leading you to believe otherwise. Such faith is not foolish, but rather it is aware of more than what you are aware of now.
If your depression is leading you to behaviors that directly or indirectly hurt people, then you should repent of those behaviors. Ask for the strength to love others when they need to be loved by you.

• Agree
Reactions: A_JAY
Upvote 0

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well,
Its a good idea to be water baptized once you are born again, but its a better idea to know in your heart that Jesus is your savior.
Thats really all that matters....Is your faith in Him.....Your total Trust.
"Believing".

You'll leave this earth on a day you dont expect it.
Suddenly you will be gone.
So, to KNOW that you've taken Christ into your heart, is to know God has taken you into His heavenly family.

Resolve that, and you have resolved all that matters most in this life.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I've been depressed for a while now.

YHWH calls us to be joyful.

Everything just feels dark.

Yahshua is the light of the world.

I feel guilty for being happy.

That sounds like Satan trying to distract you from the happiness you find in your relationship with the Father.

He's basically right. Repenting is turning back to the Father.

Yes, always, 24/7, we are to pray incessantly.

I know it's bad but am I commiting sin for being depressed?

I believe so. Yahshua told us that the foremost precept is to love YHWH with all our mind and heart, with everything we have.

How can we be loving him with all our mind; when we are thinking about our depression

He's right. The past is behind us, which is where Satan should be. We should be celebrating all that YHWH has given us, and looking to the future.

He also said it is a very UNGODLY thinking pattern

Again he's right. Depression is not an expression of gratitude. I try to remember to be thankful for every new moment that he shares with me.

and is the result of demonic forces working in my life.

They are always waiting to pounce; but if we keep our trust in the Father; he will protect us from all. That trust might be tested; but if we are faithful; so is he.

I don't necessarily feel sorry for myself,

Good.

I just feel like everything is bleak and drab, and I've been praying and praying and praying for help and no answer.

Perhaps you would do well to take some time; and get out into the sunlight, out in nature; sit quietly; and just marvel at his amazing creation. He reveals himself through his creation; and he wants a relationship. Perhaps if you spend an extended amount of time seeking him out...

Upvote 0