Nov 13, 2008
✟10,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
My father has been living in another state because of a job for some years. He has told my mother he's divorcing her because she "won't change" and she "stresses him" and I personally think because of money disagreements. Because of the laws in our state my mother has no choice. She communicated wanting to work things out, but he ignored her request because he was too offended that she pointed out he "lied" about a stroke (he hid it and denied it when mum pointed out his slurring). At first he told her she can practically keep everything and he'd keep sending money (my mother doesn't make enough to live off of). But he sent her a very sketchy and ambiguous document to sign which my mother's lawyer told her not to sign because it would take away ALL rights to ANYTHING. My father told my mother he was sorry and that he didn't know about that. But instead of getting a proper legal document that says what he said he'd do, he's wanting asset information for the court. If they go to court and they can't reach an agreement, it could get ugly. Depending on what my father does, my mother, sister, and I could stand to lose our home and everything in splitting assets for a divorce. He hasn't been transparent about his income, his spending, or even medical problems. I don't know if I can trust him anymore. I don't know how hard his heart has become or if he can see past his own pain enough to see how much he's hurting us. I don't even know if he's mentally sound.

My family has problems. No one is innocent. But my father more than anyone doesn't know how to have relationships or deal with emotions and thus has been tearing apart our family. Everyone in our family is emotionally crippled and insecure because of him. He has never dealt with his own grief with his parents or his explosive anger. He's been evading it, blaming others, and taking it out on his us, his family, for as long as I can remember. And in recent years he's taken to isolating himself from the whole family, I am sure because that's easier than dealing with the mess he's helped create. Ironically he doing to us what his own parents did to him. It's not that he doesn't want to love us or that he doesn't try, but that he is incapable because he hasn't learned to deal with what's inside of him. I've spent all my life trying to not hate him, trying to forgive him, to love him, to give him a chance even though he's not been there emotionally and has emotionally abused us.

To say I'm angry is an understatement. I'm angry not only because of his shadiness and hypocrisy now, but the whole situation has brought back all the pain from when he lived with us. I've been crying for the last 3-4 days. I'm angry and so sad because he had his whole life to change. He had opportunity, he had chances, he wasn't entirely blind, he could have overcome it all, it didn't have to be this way. He could have been happy and had a family who loved and adored him. But he's thrown it all out and kept his head in the sand, because that's easier.

He hasn't called me or told me anything. He hasn't asked me if I'm okay or how I feel about what's going on. Not that I expect that. I want to call him to talk things out. But frankly I'm afraid to talk to him or be remotely honest or talk about the situation as adults. I'm afraid if I say literally one wrong thing, he'll blow up and shut down or worse -- retaliate against us or my mother in some way because he's hurt or feels justified. Because that's a very real reality. I'm at the point where right now I feel like all I can tell him is how afraid I am of him. I really wish I could tell him how much I'm hurting. To ask him to seek out help, to try counseling, but I know... I know he won't listen. He never did in the past. He just shrugs everything off or that "I'll understand one day". And I do understand, I understand how destructive his ways are and I've learned and I'm learning to be emotionally healthy.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to fix this marriage... it's not mine to fix. I've given up fixing my family and I'm all the happier for it. It's their responsibility, not mine. At most I just point in a direction and leave it to them. I don't even care if he cuts me off, because my life is better without him. It would be a lot easier to just not deal with him or this situation. I can't tell you how many times I wish I'd wake up and find this untrue. I just want to be honest with my father. To be able to talk as mature adults. I want treat my father as Christ would. I just want to minimize the damage, like ask my father to at least write out a proper legal document that says what he told my mother rather than taking this to court and getting petty -- because this does involve me and my HOME. It's not just their problem.

Please, if you've been through stuff like this, share whatever advice or comfort you can offer...

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
??
Im sorry to hear this.
Your parents made vows when they married does that not mean anything? If goes to court wont a judge have mercy and say, no you cant do this..this means abandoning yiur family for what? you need to change your ways and love each other???

I think, if I cant talk to my parents I just pray to my Heavenly Father. Go to the top. Tell God since Hes the big chief, there needs to be way for your dad to know the sin hes in and how its hurting you. Some binding and loosing prayer is also useful. Seems like hes in bondage to mammon.

Also, consider writing a letter to him. I once did that with my mum rather than talk to her. Cos talking and being close can involve emotions which get in the way sometimes. And sometimes they dont listen cos they always see you as a child. In your letter remind him your his daughter and you love him but also your concerns.

Reactions: TPeterY
Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Why doesn't your mother move to where your father has to work so they can live together?

Destressing a man is something a wife can do easily most of the time. When she refuses it adds to the stress. I'm sure there are a myriad of issues/excuses to wade through but I'm more of a cut the Gordian knot kind of guy.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not trying to fix this marriage... it's not mine to fix. I've given up fixing my family and I'm all the happier for it. It's their responsibility, not mine. At most I just point in a direction and leave it to them. I don't even care if he cuts me off, because my life is better without him.

Hi SR,
I don't have any advice about the financial/legal end of things, but I just wanted to encourage you by saying I think that a) you're seeing this clearly, and b) I think you've made some very good decisions. In fact, I think they are the same decisions Christ would have made. Some situations can only drag us down, while we can do no good. Perhaps you should keep praying for a little crack of light to show through, an opportunity to resolve things as well as possible for everyone involved and in all aspects.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My father has been living in another state because of a job for some years. He has told my mother he's divorcing her because she "won't change" and she "stresses him" and I personally think because of money disagreements. Because of the laws in our state my mother has no choice. She communicated wanting to work things out, but he ignored her request because he was too offended that she pointed out he "lied" about a stroke (he hid it and denied it when mum pointed out his slurring). At first he told her she can practically keep everything and he'd keep sending money (my mother doesn't make enough to live off of). But he sent her a very sketchy and ambiguous document to sign which my mother's lawyer told her not to sign because it would take away ALL rights to ANYTHING. My father told my mother he was sorry and that he didn't know about that. But instead of getting a proper legal document that says what he said he'd do, he's wanting asset information for the court. If they go to court and they can't reach an agreement, it could get ugly. Depending on what my father does, my mother, sister, and I could stand to lose our home and everything in splitting assets for a divorce. He hasn't been transparent about his income, his spending, or even medical problems. I don't know if I can trust him anymore. I don't know how hard his heart has become or if he can see past his own pain enough to see how much he's hurting us. I don't even know if he's mentally sound.

My family has problems. No one is innocent. But my father more than anyone doesn't know how to have relationships or deal with emotions and thus has been tearing apart our family. Everyone in our family is emotionally crippled and insecure because of him. He has never dealt with his own grief with his parents or his explosive anger. He's been evading it, blaming others, and taking it out on his us, his family, for as long as I can remember. And in recent years he's taken to isolating himself from the whole family, I am sure because that's easier than dealing with the mess he's helped create. Ironically he doing to us what his own parents did to him. It's not that he doesn't want to love us or that he doesn't try, but that he is incapable because he hasn't learned to deal with what's inside of him. I've spent all my life trying to not hate him, trying to forgive him, to love him, to give him a chance even though he's not been there emotionally and has emotionally abused us.

To say I'm angry is an understatement. I'm angry not only because of his shadiness and hypocrisy now, but the whole situation has brought back all the pain from when he lived with us. I've been crying for the last 3-4 days. I'm angry and so sad because he had his whole life to change. He had opportunity, he had chances, he wasn't entirely blind, he could have overcome it all, it didn't have to be this way. He could have been happy and had a family who loved and adored him. But he's thrown it all out and kept his head in the sand, because that's easier.

He hasn't called me or told me anything. He hasn't asked me if I'm okay or how I feel about what's going on. Not that I expect that. I want to call him to talk things out. But frankly I'm afraid to talk to him or be remotely honest or talk about the situation as adults. I'm afraid if I say literally one wrong thing, he'll blow up and shut down or worse -- retaliate against us or my mother in some way because he's hurt or feels justified. Because that's a very real reality. I'm at the point where right now I feel like all I can tell him is how afraid I am of him. I really wish I could tell him how much I'm hurting. To ask him to seek out help, to try counseling, but I know... I know he won't listen. He never did in the past. He just shrugs everything off or that "I'll understand one day". And I do understand, I understand how destructive his ways are and I've learned and I'm learning to be emotionally healthy.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to fix this marriage... it's not mine to fix. I've given up fixing my family and I'm all the happier for it. It's their responsibility, not mine. At most I just point in a direction and leave it to them. I don't even care if he cuts me off, because my life is better without him. It would be a lot easier to just not deal with him or this situation. I can't tell you how many times I wish I'd wake up and find this untrue. I just want to be honest with my father. To be able to talk as mature adults. I want treat my father as Christ would. I just want to minimize the damage, like ask my father to at least write out a proper legal document that says what he told my mother rather than taking this to court and getting petty -- because this does involve me and my HOME. It's not just their problem.

Please, if you've been through stuff like this, share whatever advice or comfort you can offer...
Wow, you have a lot on your plate.

This life, often turns in seemingly unfair and mysterious ways
that we cannot always see and so we become fustrated, angry
and wounded.

Christ was wounded, He was beaten, broken and bruise for me and you!

Remember this, Christ was God's best sent to the earth to show us the way and the devil stirred in the hearts of men and we crucufied God on a cross of our own pride and unbelief.

So if Christ was crucified, why do we as Christians believe
that this currupt world and its evil ruler, won't attack us as his desire is to steal from us, kill us and destroy us in a hell that was prepared for him.

Keep praying, forgiving and putting aside malice, hatred and rejection and keep the communication open with your father as God can and will use you to say what needs to be said to your father, if you will be open to God's leading in your life.

Hope this helps you...

Father, in Jesus name I ask that you would be with this believer and pour out Your wisdom, peace and Holy Spirit on SR....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bottledwater

Under Construction
Mar 1, 2015
✟1,505.00
Faith
Christian

There are always two sides to every story, and we are only hearing from a hurt girl, that I am sure does know all of the intimate details that have lead up to the point of this breakup, and may have contributed to the breakdown of communication between your father and mother.
You only know what mom has told you, and what you choose to believe.
Half of the facts are missing in your case, and there isn't a court on earth that can or will convict a party on hearsay.
You are hurt and that is understandable. But, you are not getting all of the facts, and may never get them.
My suggestion to you would be to use the grace card in this particular case. Seeings that you do not have all of the facts, then you need to just accept that Dad isn't perfect, and neither is Mom.
You said you wanted to do what Jesus would do. Well, He showed mercy to those of us that did not deserve it, and He had all of the facts.
Show mercy to your dad, and just love him. Keep out of the politics of this relationship between your folks as it is not your battle, and you really only know what you have been told, and we are only ever told what people want us to hear.
I called a buddy this week while I was away in Florida for work. He bragged about all of the fish he was catching back here at home. When he sent me a picture of one of the fish. It turned out it was the size of his hand. If I had not seen the picture, I would have gone by what he told me, and believe me, it was a whale tale.
Please be careful not to break down the lines of communication to anyone that is important to you, including you dad, because once communication stops, the chances of reconciling is drastically reduced to nil. It really doesn't take very long after this for an unforgiving spirit to produce a bitter root to grow up inside of you.
Guard your heart by loving both of your parents with the same merciful heart that Jesus loved us sinners with.
I love you sister, and I won't hope that your family pulls this together, because I do believe that adversity reveals the man. But, I will hope and pray that you can all love one another in spite of your differences.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Satan wants society to lose faith in Jesus Christ, or those who are non-Christian to remain as athiests if not believing in God the Father Jehovah and Son Jesus Christ, or those who are religious devotees such as Muslim:.
Faith once activated allows supernatural or positive spiritual proof of Jesus Christ that comes as a flowing abundance of peace and joy to the point where an attitude of calmness and fearlessness overtake and replace grief-stricken depression and anxiety - an attitude so full of courage, it's not necessary to show off a knife or gun to show authority and pride, just as Jesus would face his enemy with nothing more than the clothes on his back:.
Serious supernatural proof of Jesus Christ is to act like you are already victorious as an ambassador of Christ, being more than a conqueror, just like fearless David versus the fiercest giant Goliath, even though David used a sling-shot to destroy Goliath, no man-made weapon is necessary now that Jesus Christ has the power of righteousness and healing,
the power of resurrection when Jesus returns in his Second Coming for our future-coming genius-intelligent minds and measure-perfect bodies of Christ with perfect eternal youth and health, and with perfect body height and body-shape where nobody will be too tall or small, or too fat or thin - just like Adam and Eve before they had sinned:.
Even Earth will be renewed, becoming so environmentally-friendly as a green, clean and climate-peaceful paradise with no natural disasters, it would be impossible to suffer grief-stricken depression and anxiety because Satan and sin will be so removed for good that they will no longer cause failure and tragedy, while Jesus reigns with victory and life in a new, expensive-medication-free jail-less non-death row world Earth.''*".

Upvote 0

Shattered-Reflections

Saved by Grace
Nov 13, 2008
✟10,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
??
Im sorry to hear this.
Your parents made vows when they married does that not mean anything? If goes to court wont a judge have mercy and say, no you cant do this..this means abandoning yiur family for what? you need to change your ways and love each other???

I think, if I cant talk to my parents I just pray to my Heavenly Father. Go to the top. Tell God since Hes the big chief, there needs to be way for your dad to know the sin hes in and how its hurting you. Some binding and loosing prayer is also useful. Seems like hes in bondage to mammon.

Also, consider writing a letter to him. I once did that with my mum rather than talk to her. Cos talking and being close can involve emotions which get in the way sometimes. And sometimes they dont listen cos they always see you as a child. In your letter remind him your his daughter and you love him but also your concerns.

It's possible that a judge will ask what they have done to resolve problems in the marriage and if he finds out that no professional help has been sought, he may ask/require them to do so. But I do not know what power the judge does and doesn't have over cases like these. The judge may have no say so.

I may do that. I keep wanting to talk to him so he won't misunderstand my words, but writing something may be wiser. Thank you for your advice.

Why doesn't your mother move to where your father has to work so they can live together?

Several reasons: (1) My dad is working contracts, this means a job could last a few weeks or a few months. It's very difficult to have a life, church, or anything with a life on the run. (2) Where my dad is currently working my mother physically cannot tolerate the cold. It would make her sick. (3) This is really a choice, but my mother parents are near their end and my mother is helping care for them.

Call those excuses or whatever, but that's why.

Upvote 0

Shattered-Reflections

Saved by Grace
Nov 13, 2008
✟10,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi SR,
I don't have any advice about the financial/legal end of things, but I just wanted to encourage you by saying I think that a) you're seeing this clearly, and b) I think you've made some very good decisions. In fact, I think they are the same decisions Christ would have made. Some situations can only drag us down, while we can do no good. Perhaps you should keep praying for a little crack of light to show through, an opportunity to resolve things as well as possible for everyone involved and in all aspects.

Thank you Paul, that means a lot. I'm not always doing well, some days are better than others.

Wow, you have a lot on your plate.

This life, often turns in seemingly unfair and mysterious ways
that we cannot always see and so we become fustrated, angry
and wounded.

Christ was wounded, He was beaten, broken and bruise for me and you!

Remember this, Christ was God's best sent to the earth to show us the way and the devil stirred in the hearts of men and we crucufied God on a cross of our own pride and unbelief.

So if Christ was crucified, why do we as Christians believe
that this currupt world and its evil ruler, won't attack us as his desire is to steal from us, kill us and destroy us in a hell that was prepared for him.

Keep praying, forgiving and putting aside malice, hatred and rejection and keep the communication open with your father as God can and will use you to say what needs to be said to your father, if you will be open to God's leading in your life.

Hope this helps you...

Father, in Jesus name I ask that you would be with this believer and pour out Your wisdom, peace and Holy Spirit on SR....

Thank you for taking to the time to reply and pray for me. It's been hard, there are days malice has gotten the better of me. Right now I'm just praying and trying to work out things in my own heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums