Denver
✟7,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am in a PhD program in Systematic Theology and I am wanting to do a study on the doctrine of the person and specifically on human sexuality. What are some topics you can think of that would work. I am open to anything as everything I have come up with are either biblical theology, practical theology, or sociology. I can't figure out a research topic that is narrow and in the field of systematic theology.

Thank you for any help you may offer.

mprimrosewbu

May 23, 2017
Denver
✟7,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
inappropriate behavior with animals.

You could have it as a very narrow focus of theological anthropology. Its extreme abnormality narrows the focus.
How could I make this theological though? I'm not against the idea, I just don't know how to do it in a systematic theological way.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How could I make this theological though? I'm not against the idea, I just don't know how to do it in a systematic theological way.
That's really up to you to figure out. God said not to do it, and in OT Israel, it carried the death penalty. How does systematic theology touch on that subject?

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Maybe homosexuality. People like me contend (based on the Bible) that it's sinful. But there are others, even Christians, who feel differently. It's controversial and further research into it could be illuminating to the Church.

Upvote 0

mprimrosewbu

May 23, 2017
Denver
✟7,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Maybe homosexuality. People like me contend (based on the Bible) that it's sinful. But there are others, even Christians, who feel differently. It's controversial and further research into it could be illuminating to the Church.
I would love to do it on that. That is the topic that I want to do it on but every time I do it I find it goes biblical theology or sociology. I was thinking about doing a study on the doctrine of the person and how god created us as sexual beings even though 2/3 of the Trinity would not be able to relate to that idea.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Sounds good. A chat with your Professor about your chosen topic could also help. Lot of times members of your doctoral committe may object to a certain topic (or direction of research) for various reasons. Do keep them in the loop as well. The church could certainly use more scholars. Good luck and God bless :).

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I am in a PhD program in Systematic Theology and I am wanting to do a study on the doctrine of the person and specifically on human sexuality. What are some topics you can think of that would work. I am open to anything as everything I have come up with are either biblical theology, practical theology, or sociology. I can't figure out a research topic that is narrow and in the field of systematic theology.

Thank you for any help you may offer.
Maybe try something like Sexuality and the Disappearing Self. I've read a little of the Transhumanist Reader. This article is mentioned in one essay in the book. As a starter idea, take a Christian counter-point to the four ways of describing (or denying) the person mentioned in the article, and then relate this back to a Christian view of sexuality.

Upvote 0

mprimrosewbu

May 23, 2017
Denver
✟7,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! the reason I am reaching out like this though, is that I am not getting anywhere with my committee. I am not getting any help, in fact, I am getting next to no communication at all. I finally heard from my chair today but all I got was narrow it down. I asked how I do that and I got how he narrowed his dissertation down. It didn't help me at all unfortunately. I just need a topic like I mentioned and if that works then what are the sub-questions? Like what should I be researching within that context? Like how do I do a systematic theological dissertation on the doctrine of the person incorporating homosexuality?

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! the reason I am reaching out like this though, is that I am not getting anywhere with my committee. I am not getting any help, in fact, I am getting next to no communication at all. I finally heard from my chair today but all I got was narrow it down. I asked how I do that and I got how he narrowed his dissertation down. It didn't help me at all unfortunately. I just need a topic like I mentioned and if that works then what are the sub-questions? Like what should I be researching within that context? Like how do I do a systematic theological dissertation on the doctrine of the person incorporating homosexuality?

I've read some of Robert Gagnon's book The Bible and Homosexual Practice. It's solidly orthodox. Maybe try contacting him here for some ideas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am in a PhD program in Systematic Theology and I am wanting to do a study on the doctrine of the person and specifically on human sexuality. What are some topics you can think of that would work.
I know what dissertation research looks like in my own field (computer science), but I know less about dissertations in the humanities. What kinds of research do doctoral students normally do in systematic theology? Is it a study of the works of past theologians (e.g., showing that Thomas Aquinas and Gregory of Nyssa held similar views on XYZ)? Or showing the historical development of some particular doctrine? Or is it more like mathematics, where you would prove from some agree-on set of first principles that theological idea XYZ is true?

The computer scientist in me wants to look for something measurable to use in the research -- for example: "Are people who believe in predestination statistically more likely to view homosexuality as a sin?", or some similar statistical-correlation question. But I don't know if theology dissertations look for measurable components like that.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have thought about the fact Adam was made “very good” and would suggest that is as good as God could make Adam, but woman came later and was made for Adam, while Adam was not made “for” Eve. This might suggest Adam had qualities in his personality that would not be found in Eve, because Eve was to be the best fit Adam’s personality. Eve might be made “very good”, but have greater limits on her personality because she has to fit with Adam, while Adam was not initially made best for Eve. Together they were the best couple, but Eve is not a clone of Adam with different plumping.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some additional thoughts that have occurred to me:

1) Following up on mukk_in's ideas: Same-sex marriage (and related practices, like ordination of gay people) is considered acceptable by many Christians in North America and Europe, but sinful by other Christians in North America/Europe, and also considered sinful by many Christians in the Global South. For those who consider it sinful, are chains of reasoning used in NA/Europe the same as the chains of reasoning used in the Global South, or are they different? For those who consider it acceptable, what different chains of reasoning do they use? How much of this reasoning is valid, and how much is not?

2) The transgender phenomenon is getting wide public attention for (I think) the first time in Christian history. This means you might get to be one of the first theologians to consider it in a systematic way. Christian communities seem to be jumping rather quickly to either "Ick, that's sinful" or "Of course it's not sinful", but I haven't yet seen it addressed in a careful way in volumes of theology. Questions would include: Is it morally acceptable for people with gender dysphoria to have gender reassignment surgery? (or, is it a positive good? or, is it sinful?) Does God assign us a specific gender, and if so, how do we figure out what that gender is? Or is gender a superficial quality, like what color my hair is or how tall I am? Or does it vary from one person to another? This topic might fit well with your interest in the doctrine of the person and God (who is beyond gender) creating us as sexual/gendered beings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums