Whitehouse
✟20,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am in the final stages of my dissertation for a PhD in Christian Leadership at Liberty University. My study centers on the different theological perspectives regarding the relationship between faith and works. In order to remain objective and charitable, I am using an expert panel comprised of a Protestant, Eastern Orthodox, and Roman Catholic pastor/priest and then am administering a short survey to their congregants. I have been looking for a Roman Catholic priest to serve as the expert panel member for several months and this has completely stalled my studies. Any recommendations or help would be appreciated.

Side note: I did have some help, but in the wake of the Bishop Strickland shake-up, my commitments fell through.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am in the final stages of my dissertation for a PhD in Christian Leadership at Liberty University. My study centers on the different theological perspectives regarding the relationship between faith and works. In order to remain objective and charitable, I am using an expert panel comprised of a Protestant, Eastern Orthodox, and Roman Catholic pastor/priest and then am administering a short survey to their congregants. I have been looking for a Roman Catholic priest to serve as the expert panel member for several months and this has completely stalled my studies. Any recommendations or help would be appreciated.

Side note: I did have some help, but in the wake of the Bishop Strickland shake-up, my commitments fell through.
How important is the survey of congregants? Without spilling the beans too much, why a survey?

I was first going to suggest you contact Catholic Answers, as they could provide you good information, but not the survey of congregants obviously.

Most major metropolitan areas have some form if catechetical institute that provide classes and have some truly expert professors. The Augustine Institute in Denver is one such excellent resource, but I am sure there are closer ones. And honestly you are not that far from Franciscan University in Stubenville where there are excellent resources too. I suspect that if you make contact there they may be able to set you up with some form of what you are looking for. You might be able to arrange this through parallel academic departments at first.

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

ironyUSA

Mar 17, 2020
Whitehouse
✟20,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How important is the survey of congregants? Without spilling the beans too much, why a survey?

I was first going to suggest you contact Catholic Answers, as they could provide you good information, but not the survey of congregants obviously.

Most major metropolitan areas have some form if catechetical institute that provide classes and have some truly expert professors. The Augustine Institute in Denver is one such excellent resource, but I am sure there are closer ones. And honestly you are not that far from Franciscan University in Stubenville where there are excellent resources too. I suspect that if you make contact there they may be able to set you up with some form of what you are looking for. You might be able to arrange this through parallel academic departments at first.
The point of the survey is to understand how people of more moderate theological vocabulary act out their beliefs. The underpinning theory is by Joseph Henrich and is called "credibility enhancing displays," and being a priest is already a CRED. The reason it needs to be a priest is so the expert fairly represents the nuance of the congregants surveyed.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I highly recommend checking out the Catholic sub on Reddit, there are a few priests who are regulars on there. I think there are even some who are moderators.

Here's the link to the sub: Catholicism: All about the Catholic faith • r/Catholicism

If you post this same question there I would be almost certain you'd get some replies from a priest or two.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

ironyUSA

Mar 17, 2020
Whitehouse
✟20,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Contact your local Bishop's office. They'll have quicker access to those in a position to help you.
I went to the local diocese (formerly under Bishop Strickland) and it was unfruitful. I appreciate the leads. Thank you all for the help so far.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I went to the local diocese (formerly under Bishop Strickland) and it was unfruitful. I appreciate the leads. Thank you all for the help so far.
If you want credibilty to truly represent Catholic Doctrine, then I suggest the Marian Catechist Apostolate headed by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke in La Crosse, Wisconsin. While you may not get to speak to him personally , you could, but I don’t want to make promises for someone not myself, he would be the one to speak with, as well as those in his apostolate.

The Apostolate teaches authentic Catholic doctrine in the discipline of St Ignatius of Loyola and the spiritual exercises. It is very thorough and complete. Once candidates complete the training, they are offered the opportunity to become Consecrated Marian Catechists.

Cardinal Burke is a member of Church hierarchy, and if he is interested, he would be a most excellent addition to your panel discussion. He would understand your dissertation more than anyone I could think of.

If Cardinal Burke is not available himself, I am sure the apostolate could find a suitable person to meet the needs of your dissertation

Peace be with you

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If you want credibilty to truly represent Catholic Doctrine, then I suggest the Marian Catechist Apostolate headed by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke in La Crosse, Wisconsin. While you may not get to speak to him personally , you could, but I don’t want to make promises for someone not myself, he would be the one to speak with, as well as those in his apostolate.

The Apostolate teaches authentic Catholic doctrine in the discipline of St Ignatius of Loyola and the spiritual exercises. It is very thorough and complete. Once candidates complete the training, they are offered the opportunity to become Consecrated Marian Catechists.

Cardinal Burke is a member of Church hierarchy, and if he is interested, he would be a most excellent addition to your panel discussion. He would understand your dissertation more than anyone I could think of.

If Cardinal Burke is not available himself, I am sure the apostolate could find a suitable person to meet the needs of your dissertation

Peace be with you
He is a most humble and caring man according to a friend of mine who has met him. It would be worth a try to ask him.

Upvote 0