Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You're right, and it's unfair to Eryk to suppose so. But you must admit that among biblical literalists there is a tendency for them to take their interpretation as the same thing as the Word of God.
If there's a gap between 4 and 7, and one person fills it in with 5 and another with 6, it's not wrong.

As long as one doesn't fill it in with 3 or 8 or ...

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If there's a gap between 4 and 7, and one person fills it in with 5 and another with 6, it's not wrong.

As long as one doesn't fill it in with 3 or 8 or ...

But each of us sees our numbers as a 5 and 6, while seeing the other Christians numbers as a 3 and an 8. While at the same time they see their numbers as a 5 and 6, and ours as a 3 and 8. That's why evidence is important. And also why I don't think our Genesis interpretation is a salvation issue.

In Christ -
Papias

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And also why I don't think our Genesis interpretation is a salvation issue.
Christ died on the Cross to save us from our sins.

But He also died to save us from our Sin Nature that we acquired at birth and resides in our flesh.

You can have a beehive [sin nature] that has thousands of bees [sins] swarming around.

Destroy the bees and you still have the hive sitting there.

The hive needs to be removed as well.

Remove the hive, and you'll remove the bees as well.

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is not a message from God to individual Christians, but to the whole community of the faithful and must be read with all of the scholarly resources available--literary, linguistic, archaeological, etc. Anything less would demean the word of God.
That's not what the Bible teaches though.

Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light for my path. (Psalm 119:105)

the law of the Lord is his joy; and on his law he meditates day and night. (Psalm 1:2)

“If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31-32)

“Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words (John 13:23-24)

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, as in all wisdom you teach and admonish one another, singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. (Colossians 3:16)

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That's not what the Bible teaches though.

Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light for my path. (Psalm 119:105)

the law of the Lord is his joy; and on his law he meditates day and night. (Psalm 1:2)

“If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31-32)

“Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words (John 13:23-24)

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, as in all wisdom you teach and admonish one another, singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. (Colossians 3:16)
I see what you mean. I had forgotten that you may think the whole thing to have been written by Jesus word by word.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What is that whole thing to have been written by Jesus word by word?
The Bible. The literal, inerrant, perspicuous and self-interpreting product of Plenary Verbal Inspiration. I don't know about you personally (notice I said "may") but it seems pretty standard doctrine among biblical creationists. And, there appears to be a rising fashion that whether one is talking about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Ghost, He is to be called "Jesus." Still getting used to that one.

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible. The literal, inerrant, perspicuous and self-interpreting product of Plenary Verbal Inspiration. I don't know about you personally (notice I said "may") but it seems pretty standard doctrine among biblical creationists. And, there appears to be a rising fashion that whether one is talking about God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Ghost, He is to be called "Jesus." Still getting used to that one.
Didn't you say that the texts of the Bible are fully authoritative based on divine inspiration?

The texts of the Bible are fully authoritative based on divine inspiration, no matter what literary genre they happen to be.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Didn't you say that the texts of the Bible are fully authoritative based on divine inspiration?
I did, and I believe it. But I don't believe any of those other things. Nor Sola Scriptura, either, come to that.

• Agree
Reactions: EpiscipalMe
Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did, and I believe it. But I don't believe any of those other things.
In what way are those other things that you mentioned different from what you believe?

Nor Sola Scriptura, either, come to that.
Where else do you base your faith in if not the Bible?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
In what way are those other things that you mentioned different from what you believe?
I do not believe that the Bible is literal, inerrant perspicupus and self-interpreting product pf Plenary Verbal Inspiration. I don't know how the Bible was inspired nor whether it was inspired by the same method throughout. There are other theories about it, older and more convincing than Plenary Verbal Inspiration. I don't believe that only scripture should be used to interpret scripture. There are many extra-biblical contemporary texts which need to be examined--not for doctrine--but for linguistic and narrative practices as an aid to interpreting biblical texts, as well as findings from archaeology and anthropology. I don't believe the Bible is perspicuous--it's not the National Enquirer. The layman, with instruction, can expect to find his Salvation revealed therein, but anything beyond that requires scholarly expertise and careful, prayerful study. I don't believe that the Bible is "literal and inerrant" in all that it affirms about any sphere of human knowledge. The knowledge of the natural world it contains is purely phenomenological and need not reflect the findings of modern science. Likewise, I see the Bible not as a single text by a single author but an heterogeneous collection of texts by many inspired authors, editors and redactors over a long period of time and widely scattered locations. Consequently, I don't expect the texts to be fully coordinated. I do not, for example, see a "Synoptic Problem" nor am I much concerned with the apparent discrepancies in Jesus' two genealogies.

Where else do you base your faith in if not the Bible?
Sacred Tradition, divinely inspired Scripture and reason--in about that order.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you make of what Jesus said to the Pharisees and scribes here then?

‘This people honors me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me;
In vain do they worship me,
teaching as doctrines human precepts.’

You disregard God’s commandment but cling to human tradition.” He went on to say, “How well you have set aside the commandment of God in order to uphold your tradition!
(Mark 7:6-9)

You nullify the word of God in favor of your tradition that you have handed on. And you do many such things. (Mark 7:13)

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What do you make of what Jesus said to the Pharisees and scribes here then?

‘This people honors me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me;
In vain do they worship me,
teaching as doctrines human precepts.’

You disregard God’s commandment but cling to human tradition.” He went on to say, “How well you have set aside the commandment of God in order to uphold your tradition!
(Mark 7:6-9)

You nullify the word of God in favor of your tradition that you have handed on. And you do many such things. (Mark 7:13)
So how does one get from there, to that only the Bible should ever be consulted?

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So how does one get from there, to that only the Bible should ever be consulted?

A few questions:

(1) What did Jesus condemn the Pharisees and scribes for?
(2) How did Jesus see human tradition?
(3) What did Jesus see as more important? Human tradition or the word of God?
(4) Where can we find the word of God?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
(3) What did Jesus see as more important? Human tradition or the word of God?
Why does it have to be "or?"
(4) Where can we find the word of God?
In the Bible and in the living witness of Sacred Tradition.

But that's all--you can go and catechize somebody else. I belong to a recognized religious tradition with a well-established body of doctrine. Easy to find out about if you were really interested.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why does it have to be "or?"
Because if there is a contradiction between human tradition and the word of God, we would need to choose one over the other.

In the Bible and in the living witness of Sacred Tradition.
How do you know the "living witness of Sacred Tradition" is the word of God?

But that's all--you can go and catechize somebody else. I belong to a recognized religious tradition with a well-established body of doctrine. Easy to find out about if you were really interested.
You asked a question and so I answered. You are free to believe whatever you like. God has given us free will after all. I am just showing you what the Bible says.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Because if there is a contradiction between human tradition and the word of God, we would need to choose one over the other.

How do you know the "living witness of Sacred Tradition" is the word of God?

You asked a question and so I answered. You are free to believe whatever you like. God has given us free will after all. I am just showing you what the Bible says.
Sorry your attempt misfired. The way I read those texts, Jesus was only opposed to tradition when it was at odds with scripture, not when scripture and tradition corroborated each other.

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry your attempt misfired. The way I read those texts, Jesus was only opposed to tradition when it was at odds with scripture, not when scripture and tradition corroborated each other.
That's how I read it as well. I never said human tradition is bad. It is only bad if it is opposed to the scripture, which would mean, we should use the scripture to verify human traditions, not the other way round.

My quoting of that Bible passage was actually in response to the order you decided which should take priority:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That's how I read it as well. I never said human tradition is bad. It is only bad if it opposes to the scripture, which would mean, we should use the scripture to verify human traditions, not the other way round.

My quoting of that Bible passage was actually in response to the order you decided which should take priority:
That order represents how I feel the strength of each supports my faith. The Bible is the source of our doctrine, but doctrine aside, the main reason I believe is tradition, not scripture. The Christian faith could survive without the Bible, but without tradition it would just be a moderately interesting collection of ancient texts.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That order represents how I feel the strength of each supports my faith. The Bible is the source of our doctrine, but doctrine aside, the main reason I believe is tradition, not scripture. The Christian faith could survive without the Bible, but without tradition it would just be a moderately interesting collection of ancient texts.
I'm not sure which traditions you have in mind.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.