Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not believe that the Bible is literal, inerrant perspicupus and self-interpreting product pf Plenary Verbal Inspiration. I don't know how the Bible was inspired nor whether it was inspired by the same method throughout. There are other theories about it, older and more convincing than Plenary Verbal Inspiration. I don't believe that only scripture should be used to interpret scripture. There are many extra-biblical contemporary texts which need to be examined--not for doctrine--but for linguistic and narrative practices as an aid to interpreting biblical texts, as well as findings from archaeology and anthropology. I don't believe the Bible is perspicuous--it's not the National Enquirer. The layman, with instruction, can expect to find his Salvation revealed therein, but anything beyond that requires scholarly expertise and careful, prayerful study. I don't believe that the Bible is "literal and inerrant" in all that it affirms about any sphere of human knowledge. The knowledge of the natural world it contains is purely phenomenological and need not reflect the findings of modern science. Likewise, I see the Bible not as a single text by a single author but an heterogeneous collection of texts by many inspired authors, editors and redactors over a long period of time and widely scattered locations. Consequently, I don't expect the texts to be fully coordinated. I do not, for example, see a "Synoptic Problem" nor am I much concerned with the apparent discrepancies in Jesus' two genealogies.

Sacred Tradition, divinely inspired Scripture and reason--in about that order.

The National Enquirer works very hard to confirm it's sources.

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That order represents how I feel the strength of each supports my faith. The Bible is the source of our doctrine, but doctrine aside, the main reason I believe is tradition, not scripture. The Christian faith could survive without the Bible, but without tradition it would just be a moderately interesting collection of ancient texts.
How would the Bible be just a moderately interesting collection of ancient texts to you if you believe that they are fully authoritative based on divine inspiration?

But you, remain faithful to what you have learned and believed, because you know from whom you learned it, and that from infancy you have known [the] sacred scriptures, which are capable of giving you wisdom for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that one who belongs to God may be competent, equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:14-17)

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure which traditions you have in mind.
I'm not talking about "traditions." I am talking about Sacred Tradition--the truth of Christ's death and bodily resurrection conveyed by the companions of Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit to those they converted and by them to their followers in turn and so on in unbroken succession of believers down to me. That's where my faith comes from, not the Bible. The Bible is just there so we keep the story straight.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not talking about "traditions." I am talking about Sacred Tradition--the truth of Christ's death and bodily resurrection conveyed by the companions of Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit to those they converted and by them to their followers in turn and so on in unbroken succession of believers down to me. That's where my faith comes from, not the Bible. The Bible is just there so we keep the story straight.

I doubt you know many of those people.
Of the 100's of church attendees I've known
only one had Jesus living inside him so I asked
him to be my best man at my wedding.

I have two uncles who are ministers, and perhaps
one has saving faith. I'd question each name in such
a line of succession. And if I couldn't meet them, I'd
cross them off the list.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only a few of the most recent, but it's OK because I believe in the power of the Holy Spirit, and I'm not a Donatist.

I aslo believe in the power of the Holy Spirit. But not in church leaders.
I've seen too much while doing church roof repairs.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am talking about Sacred Tradition--the truth of Christ's death and bodily resurrection conveyed by the companions of Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit to those they converted and by them to their followers in turn and so on in unbroken succession of believers down to me. That's where my faith comes from, not the Bible.

OK. I still don't know what tradition you are referring to.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
OK. I still don't know what tradition you are referring to.
Sorry, I explained it as clearly as I could. The "tradition" I am referring to is the "tradition" that Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose again on the third day after. Let me put it another way: I believe in the bodily resurrection of Christ, but not just because "it says so in the Bible."

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, I explained it as clearly as I could. The "tradition" I am referring to is the "tradition" that Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose again on the third day after. Let me put it another way: I believe in the bodily resurrection of Christ, but not just because "it says so in the Bible."

So your source of information is the old word of mouth
process for getting news. No doubt, that is the traditional
process for being informed. I have no problem with your
group holding that word-of-mouth is sacred.
Native Americans hold that in very high regard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If there was no Ark, what is all that talk about exact dimensions about referring to how to build it?
Is that just made-up bumbo jumbo? I don't know, I'm asking.
Just about as plausible as building a 75ft high gallows to hang someone from as shown in Esther 7. Is that just allegory, and why use that particular measurement? I mean, that is practically 7-8 stories high..........

Est 7:9
Now Harbonah, one of the eunuchs, said to the king, “Look! The gallows, fifty cubits high, which Haman made for Mordecai, who spoke good on the king's behalf, is standing at the house of Haman.” Then the king said, “Hang him on it!”

Galatian 4:24 which-any/s is an allegory/allhgoroumena <238> (5746).
For these are the two Covenants, one indeed from mount Sinai into servitude generating who-any is Hagar
30 but what saith the Writing? 'be Casting Out!/ek-bale <1544> (5628) the maid-servant and the son of her.
...[Genesis 21:10]

Revelation 11:2 and the Court/fold, being outside of the Sanctuary, be Casting-Out!/ek-bale <1544> (5628) out-side/exw <1854>, and no Her thou should be measuring,

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-7_11-56-28.jpeg
    upload_2017-8-7_11-56-28.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just about as plausible as building a 75ft high gallows to hang someone from as shown in Esther 7. Is that just allegory, and why use that particular measurement? I mean, that is practically 7-8 stories high

Perhaps becasue it was a pole 75 feet tall?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.