Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think they are different groups of Methodists. The United Methodists are one denomination (rather large) of Methodists. Wesleyans are another group, and Nazerenes come from the Methodist/Holiness tradition as well.

Upvote 0

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am a United Methodist and I have asked the same question about the differences between the United and Free Methodist. I have been told that there is just a slight difference in the discipline of the two. The Free Methodist add to their discipline, or maybe it was membership vows, that the members take a membership pledge basically not to consume alcohol or drugs. That's what I was told was the difference.

I would like to see what Plan 9 says too, to see if I was told correctly! :) If it is asked in another forum, can someone post the link here?

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Deck Six, Cargo Bay Two; apply to Annabel Lee to l
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
wvmtnkid said:
I am a United Methodist and I have asked the same question about the differences between the United and Free Methodist. I have been told that there is just a slight difference in the discipline of the two. The Free Methodist add to their discipline, or maybe it was membership vows, that the members take a membership pledge basically not to consume alcohol or drugs. That's what I was told was the difference.

I would like to see what Plan 9 says too, to see if I was told correctly! :) If it is asked in another forum, can someone post the link here?
The MEC minister who started the Free Methodist Church wished to add "four freedoms" to the discipline, but, after saying that I could explain, I found to my horror that I could only remember one. :blush:

I feel certain that you're correct and that one "free" constitutes a temperance pledge. Another of the "frees" is "freedom from fraternal organizations".
We have two of the four and there were some other differences at the time the split occured, in addition to the "four frees".

I haven't yet had time to look up the specifics, but I'll do that shortly and get back to you.

In the meantime, I'll leave you with a quip a Free Methodist made to me.

"Well, the Free Methodist Church isn't really free,

but it is relatively inexpensive."

Upvote 0

OnederWoman

Charismatic Calvinist
Sep 24, 2003
NW AR
Visit site
✟370.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I grew up United Methodist and my Mom is now a United Methodist minister... but I really have no idea. The only thing I know is that once there was a Northern Methodist church and a Southern Methodist church... this being during the Civil War... after the war the Northern and Southern Methodist churches decided to combine... thus was born the United Methodist church.

I am no longer United Methodist... much to my Mother's dislike... but there are just too many things I disagree with them on (that would be another discussion). I attended a nondenominational church for the past 11 years, but then this past year we moved... we tried a Messianic church for a while, but the drive is just to long... so now we are at an Assemblies of God. We haven't really found a perfect fit here... it's hard to find a church that is Charismatic and Calvinist :lol.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think I would avoid the Free Methodist based on what has been said. There is no need to add more rules and regulations to the Christian life.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Methodist church. That's mostly due to preference. However, I'm sure there are good Bible-teaching Methodist churches out there. I just haven't seen one.

My parents attend a Methodist church. I always walk away wondering what the pastor was talking about.

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
OnederWoman said:
I grew up United Methodist and my Mom is now a United Methodist minister... but I really have no idea. The only thing I know is that once there was a Northern Methodist church and a Southern Methodist church... this being during the Civil War... after the war the Northern and Southern Methodist churches decided to combine... thus was born the United Methodist church.
erm...yes, half the MEC did secede and afterward they got back together, but the United Methodist Chuch was born in the 1960s when the MEC merged with the Evangelical United Brethren.

I've been told that the UMC has been making overtures to the AME and the CME for a long time. They, of course, split off when the MEC South was born; let's talk insulting, shall we?

so now we are at an Assemblies of God. We haven't really found a perfect fit here... it's hard to find a church that is Charismatic and Calvinist :lol.
I'm really starting to feel for you now: the AG was started mostly by Baptists and Methodists and their doctrine is a triumph of compromise, in my not-so-humble opinion. But, there you are, still in a church which has some Methodism going! ;)

Tell me what aspect of Calvinism you would like to see in a Charismatic church? Who knows? I may have run across one somewhere. LOL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Knight said:
I think I would avoid the Free Methodist based on what has been said. There is no need to add more rules and regulations to the Christian life.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Methodist church. That's mostly due to preference. However, I'm sure there are good Bible-teaching Methodist churches out there. I just haven't seen one.

My parents attend a Methodist church. I always walk away wondering what the pastor was talking about.
If by "Bible-teaching", you mean conservative, then, yes; there are lots and I belong to one. A service at my church would knock your socks off. LOL

I've certainly attended a few like the one you've described though. they always make me wish my mommy was there to pull a pencil and a piece of paper out of her purse and tell me to draw something neat instead of wriggling round in the pew. :)

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Plan 9 said:
If by "Bible-teaching", you mean conservative, then, yes; there are lots and I belong to one. A service at my church would knock your socks off. LOL
Compared to what I've seen of Methodism so far, I don't doubt it.

I've certainly attended a few like the one you've described though. they always make me wish my mommy was there to pull a pencil and a piece of paper out of her purse and tell me to draw something neat instead of wriggling round in the pew. :)

That's exactly the feeling I get. At least their new pastor is better. The last one really drove me nuts. The current one is just dull. (of course, I've only heard one of his sermons so I can't be too hard on him)

Upvote 0

OnederWoman

Charismatic Calvinist
Sep 24, 2003
NW AR
Visit site
✟370.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Plan 9 said:
I'm really starting to feel for you now: the AG was started mostly by Baptists and Methodists and their doctrine is a triumph of compromise, in my not-so-humble opinion. But, there you are, still in a church which has some Methodism going! ;)

Tell me what aspect of Calvinism you would like to see in a Charismatic church? Who knows? I may have run across one somewhere. LOL
ya, I know... my Mom loves to remind me of the relation... of course A of G isn't ceasationist like the UMC. :)

We'd go to a more reformed type of church, but they tend to be so dry... being that the vast majority are ceasationist (don't believe the spiritual gifts are for today).

What part of Calvinism? The part where God is sovereign. ;) I was pointed towards the young denomination 'Sovereign Grace', which seem to be along the lines of what we would like.... but there aren't any close to us. I've heard there are some Presbytarian churches that come close, but they believe in infant baptism... a pet peeve of my hubbies.

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Knight said:
Compared to what I've seen of Methodism so far, I don't doubt it.
Actually, I wasn't comparing the experience with other Methodist churches. for instance, if you're happen to be AG, you wouldn't be disappointed. :)

That's exactly the feeling I get. At least their new pastor is better. The last one really drove me nuts. The current one is just dull. (of course, I've only heard one of his sermons so I can't be too hard on him)
UH OH! this one's dull and that's an improvement?? In that my mommy would have brought the cool colored pencils and secretly wished to stop looking at the Pastor and trying to listen and start drawing along with you ;)
"What a nice horsey, honey. I like that one. Let's draw a doggie next."

In many UMC churches (although this isn't true of mine), the choice of Pastor can make all the difference. UMC congregants should always make sure they have the best possible Pastor-Parish Relations Commitee, since they do the hiring and everything else that will affect him or her.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The last one was just too wishy-washy for my taste. He waffled on too many issues. Call me crazy but I think a pastor should stand on firm convictions.

Like I said, I can't really judge their current pastor as I've only heard him once. The one message I heard was dull, IMO.

From what I can tell they don't get to choose the pastor. The district assigns a new one every few years.

I have never been to an AOG church. I might next year as the wife and I have been thinking of attending some area churches just to see how they do things. We're not shopping as we're perfectly happy with our church home but we're curious how the other churches in our area are spreading the Gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Plan 9 said:
The MEC minister who started the Free Methodist Church wished to add "four freedoms" to the discipline, but, after saying that I could explain, I found to my horror that I could only remember one. :blush:

I feel certain that you're correct and that one "free" constitutes a temperance pledge. Another of the "frees" is "freedom from fraternal organizations".
We have two of the four and there were some other differences at the time the split occured, in addition to the "four frees".

I haven't yet had time to look up the specifics, but I'll do that shortly and get back to you.

In the meantime, I'll leave you with a quip a Free Methodist made to me.

"Well, the Free Methodist Church isn't really free,

but it is relatively inexpensive."
Thanks, Plan 9. I thought it was something along those lines. I was also told the differences were really minute. So far, it appears, I could be a Free Methodist! :)

Cute joke at the end. Relatively inexpensive!! :D

Upvote 0

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Knight said:
The last one was just too wishy-washy for my taste. He waffled on too many issues. Call me crazy but I think a pastor should stand on firm convictions.

Like I said, I can't really judge their current pastor as I've only heard him once. The one message I heard was dull, IMO.

From what I can tell they don't get to choose the pastor. The district assigns a new one every few years.

I have never been to an AOG church. I might next year as the wife and I have been thinking of attending some area churches just to see how they do things. We're not shopping as we're perfectly happy with our church home but we're curious how the other churches in our area are spreading the Gospel.
Very true Knight, the pastor does help liven up a congregation. The way it works in our conference is that the Annual Conference (which is generally statewide) assigns the pastors to the churches, at least that is my recollection. Methodists change pastors every so many years. Typically 5, though some go longer, some go shorter. Now the church can vote to have the pastor removed, but that's a drawn out process, from what I hear. The church I attend has never voted a pastor out. Our Pastor Parish Relations committee works mainly with the hiring and firing of the church staff and does reviews of the pastor. We normally don't get much say in receiving a new minister, that is the decision of the Conference.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
wvmtnkid said:
Very true Knight, the pastor does help liven up a congregation. The way it works in our conference is that the Annual Conference (which is generally statewide) assigns the pastors to the churches, at least that is my recollection. Methodists change pastors every so many years. Typically 5, though some go longer, some go shorter. Now the church can vote to have the pastor removed, but that's a drawn out process, from what I hear. The church I attend has never voted a pastor out. Our Pastor Parish Relations committee works mainly with the hiring and firing of the church staff and does reviews of the pastor. We normally don't get much say in receiving a new minister, that is the decision of the Conference.
Personally, I think the church body (or committee in this case) should get some say as to the pastor assigned to them. That's strictly my opinion.

Upvote 0
The Free Methodists were started just before the Civil War, I believe. They were staunchly anti-slavery, opposed to the practice of renting pews (which meant that the wealthy and influential members of the community had an exclusive right to much of the seating in the church), more evangelical and "holiness" in their outlook than other Methodists, and also more open to women's ministry.

Edwin

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,732.00
Faith
Atheist
Contarini has it right.

I went to a FM church for about 6 years between 85 & 91.

I would agree that they are more evangelical as Contarini says.

FM & UM agree on alcohol. To the best of my knowledge, FM adds nothing to UM.

They are close enough to Nazarenes that the two have been tossing the idea around of uniting for years.

Tinker

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.