Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmm, this is interesting. Thanks for the info on the differences.

I guess I am so used to the Conference assigning pastors I really don't think much about chosing my own pastor. It's all I have ever known. I know that there is certain criteria that you have to have to be ordained in the Conference, so I accept that the pastor I am getting is truly called by the Lord and that the Conference has consulted Him in making their decision on where to place the pastors. I don't think it is done willy nilly. I know that I don't really like that they leave so regularly sometimes, but I do to an extent understand the reasoning behind it. I suppose it is all in what you are used to.

Upvote 0
P

PHUMCgirl

Contarini said:
The Free Methodists were started just before the Civil War, I believe. They were staunchly anti-slavery, opposed to the practice of renting pews (which meant that the wealthy and influential members of the community had an exclusive right to much of the seating in the church), more evangelical and "holiness" in their outlook than other Methodists, and also more open to women's ministry.

Edwin
I agree, my UMC history class I just attended says that the Free Methodist Church was started in 1860 by B.T. Roberts, broke off from the Methodist Episcopal Church due to slavery.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.