Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In light of his experiences being interrogated by the Nazis, "Telling the Truth" is a fascinating read as well.
I have 2 Christian heroes that were killed by the Nazi's, Bonhoeffer and Kolbe. God bless them both for their Christian heroism.

Upvote 0

lutherangerman

Jan 30, 2009
Eppendorf, Germany
✟17,788.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Bonhoeffer is very theological. He complained once after his visit to the US where he learned american christianity, that they do not do serious theology. They read their bible and that was it. Sometimes this can produce a piety that is kind and independent and liberal, but sometimes it also produces stubbornity and ignorance. Bonhoeffer for example was able to see connections between his christianity and the atheism of other resistance germans like Carl von Ossietzky. He did not believe that people go to hell just so. Instead he believed in the heavenly court, I think.

I also recommend reading Karl Barth. He was also in the resistance, but out of Switzerland where he could not do that much. But as a survivor he helped rebuild protestant christianity in after-war germany.

Upvote 0

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I must confess that I have an issue with his active resistance considering his vocation.
Yeah, I find it really very interesting that while he was writing his Ethics in which he describes the State and Religion as separate entities he was also actively and specifically involved in an assassination attempt against Hitler. Although, if assassination against anyone could be forgiven it would be against Hitler.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,856.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Bonhoeffer is very theological. He complained once after his visit to the US where he learned american christianity, that they do not do serious theology. They read their bible and that was it. Sometimes this can produce a piety that is kind and independent and liberal, but sometimes it also produces stubbornity and ignorance. Bonhoeffer for example was able to see connections between his christianity and the atheism of other resistance germans like Carl von Ossietzky. He did not believe that people go to hell just so. Instead he believed in the heavenly court, I think.

I also recommend reading Karl Barth. He was also in the resistance, but out of Switzerland where he could not do that much. But as a survivor he helped rebuild protestant christianity in after-war germany.

Not just German Atheists, he seems to have been close to Wassali Kokorin a young Russian atheist.

Kokorin and Bonhoeffer were among a group of political prisoners who were being transported in April 1945. Many if not all marked for death. In the words of Bethge who was one of Bonhoeffer's students and eventually the husband of his niece:

Punder had the idea of asking Bonhoeffer to hold a morning service, according to his own account and those of Best and Falconer. But Bonhoeffer had no wish to. The majority of his comrades were Catholic. And there was young Kokorin. Bonhoeffer had given him his Berlin address in return for Kokorin's Moscow one, but he didn't want to ambush him with a Church service. But then Kokorin expressed himself in favor of it, and so Bonhoeffer, at the general request, held the service. (Eberhard Bethge, Dietrich Bonhoeffer p 829).

In short Bonhoeffer valued fellowship over services, and I think Kokorin felt the same, valuing the comfort a service would give his fellows over any discomfort it might cause him.

Bethge reports that not long after the service 2 civilians entered the room and asked Bonhoeffer to come with them. I think everyone there knew that meant his death.

I'm pretty sure Best records those 2 civilians waiting quietly in the back until Bonhoeffer finished his service(not positive, it ahs been decades since I read Best and other source writers. I could well have just who recorded that confused). It was to Best that Bonhoeffer spoke the famous line 'This is the end - for me the beginning - of life'.(This I am sure of, Bethge Page 830).

Popular Christian works tend to omit the sermon entirely or change the end to images of hobnailed boots and doors being flung open with villains dragging Bonhoeffer off. It seems instead he was treated with respect til the end.

Bonhoeffer was hung at Flossenburg with others including Oster, Canaris and Sack.

Bonhoeffer is still admired by some atheists.

BTW are people here aware of Operation U-7?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I find it really very interesting that while he was writing his Ethics in which he describes the State and Religion as separate entities he was also actively and specifically involved in an assassination attempt against Hitler. Although, if assassination against anyone could be forgiven it would be against Hitler.

As I understand it this was a significant moral crisis for Bonhoeffer. As someone who had been so adamant about nonviolence as part of Christian discipleship it was a significant issue for his conscience to wrestle with. He ultimately opted to partake of the plot, that when God would judge him for his decision that he would hope in the mercy of God. Since he wrote Ethics in prison, I think it is precisely this moral crisis that helps form some of the ideas which would go into Ethics. Though I hate to admit I've never read Ethics personally, so I can only speak on this by what I've read others say on the topic.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
VC, reading his Letters from Prison, it's obvious that prison gave nuance to his thinking a great deal. I've heard from a biographer that he was almost embarrassed about some of the things he wrote in his book, Discipleship, perhaps seeing too much enthusiasm in places for a world-renouncing life.

Here's a great interpretation of some of the ideas from Bonhoeffer's last writings: http://experimentaltheology.blogspot.com/2010/12/letters-from-cell-92-part-1-new.html

Bonhoeffer was a theological genius by this point, understanding the problems of Christian wittness in a post-Christian society, decades before other theologians would try to deal with them (and often blundering).

Upvote 0