Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Under means submitted to and accepting the authority of judgment of...

Under law, we are guilty as hell, under Grace, we are innocent as babes...

You figure it out... I'll give you a clue, the law must of necessity come first, for the latter to apply and be fully realized so as to take and have effect...

God Bless!
I don't know you but when you say, "you figure it out" and "I'll give you a clue" it sure sounds a little condescending. As for what you shared... did you read what I wrote?

You>> Under law, we are guilty as hell, under Grace, we are innocent as babes...

Me from yesterday>> So, we are born "under the law" which is to say "GUILTY" and worthy of death. But through the work of Yeshua, we are now "under grace" which is to say, "declared innocent."

We said exactly the same thing.

Upvote 0

Silethe

Kingdom Only
Mar 3, 2011
Georgia
✟15,301.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The author asked: "what is it about Paul''s letters that causes so much division"? Is there any evidence of infighting among Jesup disciples before Paul? Paul brought division by refusing to learn about Jesus from those who knew Him best. Next Paul confronted Peter publicly, it appears, to discredit him as a "super disciple" and to justify his discipleship. Also many see Paul's letters as scripture or the word of God. It is if Paul is held higher than Jesus. And Jesus' message of the Kingdom of God has been replaced by Paul's gospel of grace and other doctrines.

Upvote 0

Theo Book

Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Central Florida
✟59,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In 1 Corinthians Paul speaks about divisions in the Church. How some were saying they were of Paul, others Apollos, others Cephas. When addressing this he asked, "Are we not all of Christ?" Meaning just because it was the message of Paul or Apollos that lead someone to Christ, that doesn't mean they are a follower of Paul or Apollos.

In 2 Peter, Peter writes that some of things Paul writes about are hard to understand and some folks twist them like they do other scriptures.

In thinking about this I realized that a lot of division we have amongst ourselves does come from Paul's writings.

Part of the error within some dispensational thought, for example, is that Paul preached a separate Gospel of Grace for the gentiles.

The Calvinist idea of election and predestination is heavily based on the book of Romans.

Sola Fide from Galatians.

The Continuist vs Cessationist debate comes from opposing views of 1 Corinthians.

The rapture from Thessalonians...

I can go on...but I wonder what it is about Paul's letters that have caused so much division? What is it about them that makes them hard to understand? Does it just seem like there's more division based on his teachings because he wrote the majority of the NT?

I have wondered if we didn't have Paul's epistles in the Bible if we would be more unified. Not that I'm saying we should disregard them...because there is much truth to be found in his words...nor do I think that Paul is to blame, but our interpretations of what he said...but is there a remedy?

Yes! Return to the schedule set up by the Holy Spirit when He saw fit to publish a certain book, it should be studied in at least a close approximation of that same schedule.

The decision to teach new converts beginning with "The Life Of Christ" certainly appealed to the early Church Fathers, and in fact, began in Paul's time, and he appealed to them to return to the book.
"These were more noble that those of Thessalonica, in that they searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so."

Instead, we now have over 100,000 denominations all claiming to be the true church, and the only ones who correctly understand scripture.

The result of such nonsense is that Peter was declared to be the first Pope, when in fact, the very concept of a pope was denied in scripture. "But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. 26 But it shall not be so among you:(Mat 20:25-26)

"But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them. 43 But so shall it not be among you:"(Mark 10:42-43)

"And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest. 25 And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors. 26 But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve. 27 For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth." (Luke 22:24-27)

"And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? 4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? 5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. 9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. 10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. 11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ." (1 COR 3:1-11)

Whence then the authority to say to your brother, Oh, no, you do not believe like I believe, and you do not express it like I express it, so I cannot fellowship you as a Christian, but only as a lesser version.

And "I belong to the Trinity version, therefore you cannot post here," even though I readily admit scripture is silent on the issue, and we got our doctrine from outside of scripture, we know what God intended to say but forgot to put in His book."

Upvote 0

DarthNeo

Oct 7, 2016
Tampa, FL
✟20,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate your post but... why would Peter say that those who hear Paul are twisting what he says? He called them "unlearned" if I remember the verse correctly? Paul was not just a Jew, he was from the school of Hillel and in his writings, once you have learned to recognize this, we see him using certain exegetical tools in order to make his points. The "Rules of Hillel" (of which there are 7 rules) are used over 30+ times in his letters.... but..... we are not even taught there are Rules of Hillel let alone can recognize and apply them. YET, those rules are "designed" to effect context. Heck... half the time we don't even recognize the metaphors he is using. :)

So, was he REALLY preaching a separate gospel or are we looking at what he is writing through a western lens rather than the first century Hebraic and instructed lens he wrote through? I don't read Paul and see ANY deviation from Yeshua's teaching or the teachings of Torah. I see him expound on them, apply them, reveal the spirit (intent) of the letter, but not deviate in any way, shape, or form. Paul causes division when read through our Greek influenced eyes... because we are left "on our own" to determine what Paul is trying to say. But, if we familiarize ourselves with the culture of his day (which he drew on for his letters) and the methodology behind his writings (also uniquely 2000 year +/- old Hebraic methodology) and read through THAT lens... Paul is as consistent as any other writer in Scripture. The message remains the same for all.

GREAT post, really wants to make me search out THE RULES OF HILLEL and see what they are...

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In 1 Corinthians Paul speaks about divisions in the Church. How some were saying they were of Paul, others Apollos, others Cephas. When addressing this he asked, "Are we not all of Christ?" Meaning just because it was the message of Paul or Apollos that lead someone to Christ, that doesn't mean they are a follower of Paul or Apollos.

In 2 Peter, Peter writes that some of things Paul writes about are hard to understand and some folks twist them like they do other scriptures.

In thinking about this I realized that a lot of division we have amongst ourselves does come from Paul's writings.

Part of the error within some dispensational thought, for example, is that Paul preached a separate Gospel of Grace for the gentiles.

The Calvinist idea of election and predestination is heavily based on the book of Romans.

The Continuist vs Cessationist debate comes from opposing views of 1 Corinthians.

I can go on...but I wonder what it is about Paul's letters that have caused so much division? What is it about them that makes them hard to understand? Does it just seem like there's more division based on his teachings because he wrote the majority of the NT?

I have wondered if we didn't have Paul's epistles in the Bible if we would be more unified. Not that I'm saying we should disregard them...because there is much truth to be found in his words...nor do I think that Paul is to blame, but our interpretations of what he said...but is there a remedy?
The problem is us. We are to bear our cross and deny self. All the body of Christ struggles with this. Division is the result of selfishness. Unity comes from selflessness.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
GREAT post, really wants to make me search out THE RULES OF HILLEL and see what they are...
Here is an article written by a friend and mentor. It is long enough to explain it well without being so long that you're left asking questions.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem is us. We are to bear our cross and deny self. All the body of Christ struggles with this. Division is the result of selfishness. Unity comes from selflessness.
Amen... and just to throw in something about context... the idea of "bearing our cross" was spoken about before Yeshua ever bore his cross (Luke 14:27 as one example). Which means, even though the ruling government used this method of execution, the phrase is still somewhat idiomatic. I have been told recently, but have not had time to look it up, that similar wording was used in some ancient Jewish writings outside of Christian circles as a phrase meant to depict "carrying the weight of responsibility." If I confirm this I will share it.

Upvote 0

Kenneth Redden

The day I found 2 Timothy 3:15 KJV!
Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2016
Centerville TN
✟77,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I believe you have misinterpreted 2 Peter 3, which for me, is the beginning of Paul's demonstration. In verses three thru eight, we have what may be the key to the entire KJV Interpretation, as the apostle Paul wrote afore in few words, wrote a telling of the days of the creation. It should be noted that everything about the tell has meaning regarding the actual creating and making of the earth and the heavens. Even the chapter and verse numbers, they all are in agreement! And there is much more.

I believe there is such division in the "Christian" religion today because the members are working with a corrupt, and dead understanding!

Upvote 0

Kenneth Redden

Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2016
Centerville TN
✟77,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I believe you have misinterpreted 2 Peter 3, which for me, is the beginning of Paul's demonstration. In verses three thru eight, we have what may be the key to the entire KJV Interpretation, as the apostle Paul wrote afore in few words, wrote a telling of the days of the creation. It should be noted that everything about the tell has meaning regarding the actual creating and making of the earth and the heavens. Even the chapter and verse numbers, they all are in agreement! And there is much more.

I believe there is such division in the "Christian" religion today because its members were given a corrupt, and dead understanding!

Upvote 0

Kenneth Redden

Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2016
Centerville TN
✟77,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I believe there is such division in the "Christian" religion today because its members were given a corrupt, and dead understanding!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenneth Redden

Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2016
Centerville TN
✟77,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't believe we would be more unified at all. I think there'd be more differences and divisions since without Pauls instructional letters to the body of baby believers an "anything goes" mentality and flexibility would appear to be okay and the division between us would be less noticeable that's for sure

Why not just answer this question

Was Paul led by Christ's SPIRIT?

• Agree
Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
and realize that Paul sees salvation in a more multifaceted way, than simply God applying the merits of Christ to us and forgiving us.
God imputing righteousness and forgiving us is what I call distant grace . . . meaning, from the throne. But also we need personal grace, of God working in us (Philippians 2:13, Isaiah 58:11), changing us to actually become like Jesus who is growing in us as our new inner Person > Galatians 4:19. Of course . . . it takes, also, God's personal grace in us to change us to believe and repent "the way God wants, and not our own do-it-ourselves acting". Paul was sent to turn Gentiles "from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God", we have in Acts 26:18. It took the action of God's grace to change us like this . . . from Satan's own power of his evil spirit . . . Ephesians 2:2 . . . to God Himself in His own love > 1 Corinthians 6:17, Romans 5:5.

So, a problem can be how certain ones can tell the truth, but only so far, then leave out more or less.

An example is how ones say we are saved by Jesus on the cross, but they stop there. But our Apostle Paul says >

"For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life." (Romans 5:10)

Paul doesn't say we have already been saved by Jesus Christ's life, but "we shall be". And Hebrews 12:4-11 shows how we need to actively seek our Heavenly Father for His correction so we "become partakers of His holiness". This says every child of God is getting this correction . . . of His love's perfection >

"Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4:17)

So, included in our assurance "in the day of judgment" is how God's love cures our nature so we are "as He is" "in this world."

But because we humans can tend to not want real correction, we can take short-cuts to salvation, claiming only or mainly that we said a prayer and/or have done certain things that we are capable of doing and copy-catting. Then we can argue with one another about which of our short-cut ways is the right way!!

There can be a lot of talk about "imputed righteousness" and "position" and "standing" and being written in the Book of Life. But this is distant grace, not God personally changing us into His own love's holiness and how He has us relating with one another (Ephesians 4:2, Ephesians 5:21, Ephesians 4:31-5:2) while we are each personally submitting to how He rules us in His own peace in our "hearts" (Colossians 3:15).

This is how His grace is very personal, not only on the throne: how God in us corrects us into His own holiness and personally rules us in our "hearts" with His own peace, while conforming us to the image of His own Son (Romans 8:29, 1 John 4:17). And in us, our Father has us relating the way He desires, so that our relating is in personal intimacy with Him as well as one another . . . more and more as He grows us in this.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This ALL JEWISH KINGDOM MESSAGE:
Jesus told the disciples . . . Jews . . . to teach everything He commanded, to "all the nations", in Matthew 28:19-20, which I understand includes us Gentiles. Jesus started with Jews, but now their cup is running over to us :) Paul himself says we have been grafted in with the Jews > Romans 11:16-18. There are branches of Jews who have been broken away from the olive tree, and we Gentiles have been grafted in where certain Jesus-refusing Jews have been broken away. So, we have joined the true Jews who have been circumcised in their hearts > Romans 2:28-29.

So, what do you mean by a "kingdom message" which is no longer for people, now?

Why works? Because, while Messiah is alive. The old Mosaic law covenant is still in effect.
Even though we are no longer under the Law, Paul uses the Law, in various epistles, to minister to us who are children of God. And he says all scripture is "profitable". Our Apostle Paul says this in his New Testament epistle to Timothy > 2 Timothy 3:16.

Post-Cross: The Gospel of Grace thru faith is an indivdually targeted message. Available to ALL, Jew or GENTILE
But the gospel of grace does not stop at Jesus on the cross. Paul says "we shall be saved by His life," in Romans 5:10.

Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption """through his blood""" the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
And "we shall be saved by His life."

Plus, our Apostle John says we have been perfected in His love making us "as He is" "in this world." (in 1 John 4:17). And this fits with how Jesus in His Sermon on the Mount says we need to be blessed . . . in our character . . . "poor in spirit", "meek", "pure in heart" . . . in Matthew chapter five. And what Jesus says is a match with how James says true wisdom is > James 3:17. So, what Jesus has preached is also in the message of James and Paul and other epistle writers. Our Sermon on the Mount is certainly still "profitable". And the Lord's prayer in John chapter seventeen is still for us . . . all Jesus in His own prayer has claimed for us who hear the words of the disciples > and Jesus prayed all this before He suffered and died for us, on the cross.

I Corinthians 15:1-4 Paul’s gospel was that a sinless Christ died for our sins, was buried & rose from the dead
In Peter's message in Acts 2 Peter preached the resurrection of Jesus. And in Matthew 26:28 Jesus said the drink of the Lord's Supper is "My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for the remission of sins." (in Matthew 26:28) So, before His death, already Jesus had told them His blood would be shed for the remission of sins. So, the disciples were clearly told this before Paul was even saved!!! :)

Not the kingdom message of repentance and baptism. The grace message of faith in the finished sin atoning redemptive work of Jesus the Christ.
But before Jesus died, He told them His blood "is shed for the remission of sins."

The gospel of the kingdom message. Isnt applicable for the Church today. Maranatha
All Scripture is "profitable" (in 2 Timothy 3:16). Well, Jesus said His blood "is shed for the remission of sins." This is certainly applicable for us. Also, all Jesus says in the Sermon on the Mount is applicable for us. And you might read Paul's love chapter . . . 1 Corinthians 13 . . . which is a match with how Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount says we all need to become in love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A scripture can give a part, and we need what other scriptures give, of other parts.

Paul is very clear, how we are not saved by works, meaning works of the Law of Moses and works of our own righteousness.

But James chapter two gives examples of works of love, then he says faith without works is dead and we are justified by works and not only by faith . . . James chapter two.

We need how God's love effects us while we do works in God's love and leading >

"Let all that you do be done with love." (1 Corinthians 16:14)

We know how we are effected and how we can become, while doing works of lust. We need how love changes our nature while we do works of God's love.

But people can take short-cuts, just arguing for belief or only or mainly for works which they can dictate for us to do . . . instead of giving our attention to submitting to God and how He corrects us and cures us in our nature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OpenYourBibles

Jan 26, 2017
United States
✟11,608.00
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is complete.

The OT teaches about punishment when your brother offends you, while Jesus says "forgive them seventy times seven" times.

If we are to pick and choose what we read, these two statements seem in direct opposition to each other, and the Bible appears contradictory. But in the fullness of scripture there is understanding how both of these scriptures are true and applicable.

The same situation arises when Paul or James or Peter or any other writers are taken alone without the completeness of the Bible to back them up.

Christians have a lot of denominations because there are very few who are willing to look at the complete story. In the example above there will be two different denominations who believe the exact same thing, except one says you can punish your brother and one says you have to forgive him 490 times! And over 2000 years you get to the point where there are hundreds of different denominations, because there are hundreds of different opinions and very few people willing to search the scriptures!

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The author asked: "what is it about Paul''s letters that causes so much division"? Is there any evidence of infighting among Jesup disciples before Paul? Paul brought division by refusing to learn about Jesus from those who knew Him best. Next Paul confronted Peter publicly, it appears, to discredit him as a "super disciple" and to justify his discipleship. Also many see Paul's letters as scripture or the word of God. It is if Paul is held higher than Jesus. And Jesus' message of the Kingdom of God has been replaced by Paul's gospel of grace and other doctrines.

I assume that you don't view Paul's writings as inspired then?

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I believe there is such division in the "Christian" religion today because the members are working with a corrupt, and dead understanding!
I'm confused as to what you think I have misinterpreted. Did Peter not say that unlearned people would not understand Paul's writings?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I believe that although Paul wrote hard to understand things, that his theology is quite simple. He preaches a simple lifestyle, separation of ourselves from the world, walking by faith not sight, and bearing good fruit by sowing to the spirit. I believe if a person embraced those things, and forgot about tradition, that they would prosper. Traditional excess is to blame for most divisions. For that reason i embrace simplicity.

Reactions: Big Drew
Upvote 0