• No. I/we believe she did not have children after Jesus

• I am not sure

• Does it matter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thekla

"Until" in of itself doesn't reverse condition/action. It's the situation the causes the word to do so.

Since there's no reason given as to why Mary would remain a virgin, "until she gave birth" is one of those situations.

It is not reasonable for a virgin to give birth, nor for God to take on flesh.

What is fact is not according to what we find reasonable, but what is.

What would preclude Mary remaining a virgin ?

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Where does the Bible say God "chose" Mary for this "purpose"?
Where does the Bible say Mary "chose" this?

It's not hard to understand why people would chose such a way of life. It's simply that this doctrine concerning Mary is NOT in the Bible. Moreover, there's (much) more reason to believe, based on Biblical Scripture, that she did have sex. That being the case, it would be a Biblical error to think she remained a virgin forever.

That's all.
The part in the bible when the Angel Gabriel tells her the good news that she is going to bear the Savior of the world, if your question is where did it show in the bible that God chose her to bore Christ.

Neither is your belief Biblical. Your last paragraph is just simply incorrect/wrong. We have historical background in the Church of the Apostles, and Mary included, that tells of their lives. Just like you would read the history of your country or state, or some figure in history. Our church has kept its history perserved.

Upvote 0
J

JacksLadder

The part in the bible when the Angel Gabriel tells her the good news that she is going to bear the Savior of the world, if your question is where did it show in the bible that God chose her to bore Christ.

Neither is your belief Biblical. Your last paragraph is just simply incorrect/wrong. We have historical background in the Church of the Apostles, and Mary included, that tells of their lives. Just like you would read the history of your country or state, or some figure in history. Our church has kept its history perserved.

I knew the "my church says this so it has to be true" was comming. Thier is not church without errors in doctrine even the Orthodox ones.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I knew the "my church says this so it has to be true" was comming. Thier is not church without errors in doctrine even the Orthodox ones.
Whatever, Jack. You and the others here can continue on arguing over a stupid false teaching from the 4th century. I'm done.

Upvote 0

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is not reasonable for a virgin to give birth, nor for God to take on flesh.

What is fact is not according to what we find reasonable, but what is.

What would preclude Mary remaining a virgin ?
But if you believe in the Bible, and believe that God is omnipotent, then it is reasonable that a virgin would give birth. What is unreasonable, is to believe something as Biblical truth, when it's not in the Bible.

And the fact that Jesus is mentioned several times as having siblings, would preclude Mary remaining a virgin.

Peace.

Upvote 0

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Could you provide the verse/s which support your position ?
Mar 6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon?

Gal 1:19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mar 6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon?

Gal 1:19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.

What's the greek word used?

What does it mean? Back in those days.

Doesn't preclude it now!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's not true. It doesn't say she was chosen or called by God to be an ever-virgin. Post the actual verse if it does. But I'm pretty sure u wont, because such a verse doesn't exist.

I said there's no Biblical evidence for what you believe. And I'm correct.

Simple question: why wouldn't God simply included in the Bible, if ever-virginity was true? Why leave such an important detail out?

Upvote 0

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's the greek word used?

What does it mean? Back in those days.

Doesn't preclude it now!
The Greek word for what?

And if you have a point to make, please do so with sources, rather than than just making assertions.

Upvote 0

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That's not true. It doesn't say she was chosen or called by God to be an ever-virgin. Post the actual verse if it does. But I'm pretty sure u wont, because such a verse doesn't exist.

I said there's no Biblical evidence for what you believe. And I'm correct.

Simple question: why wouldn't God simply included in the Bible, if ever-virginity was true? Why leave such an important detail out?

If you had taken the time to read some of the post. There is plenty of biblical and historical proof that Mary remained a virgin.

No your not correct. You dead wrong.

Neither will one find Jesus stating that He is God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

Thekla

But if you believe in the Bible, and believe that God is omnipotent, then it is reasonable that a virgin would give birth. What is unreasonable, is to believe something as Biblical truth, when it's not in the Bible.

And the fact that Jesus is mentioned several times as having siblings, would preclude Mary remaining a virgin.

Peace.

There is no Biblical indication of what the meaning of "adelphos" is in this context. Again, where a specific meaning of adelphos/adelphi is meant, a narrowing is given by the author (Plato, for ex.). There is no such narrowing given in the passages referring to the adelphos/adelphi of Christ. As the most typical use of adelphos/adelphi denotes a relation of some sort (bilogical, metaphorical, spiritual) through a male, asserting a relationship in this instance through the female line is an anomolous leap, without linguistic, cultural, or Biblical precedent.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Please Lord, enlighten all your children here who are confused and misled by believing that Your Mother had other children other than You, Our Savior. Please soften their hearts to this truth. Thank you for listening to my prayer. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. :crosseo:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.