Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Question. Did Jesus have brothers and sisters that were born thru Mary after the birth of Jesus?
I would like to see the Scriptures for and against any view rendered on this thread. Thanks and God bless

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

I voted that I don't KNOW, thus (like ALL Denominations) I have no dogma on this. There has never been ANY denomination EVER that has had a dogma of "Jesus Had Sibs By Mary" or "Mary Had Just One Child - Jesus."

There are Scriptures that speak of brothers and sisters (even naming the brothers) but we don't know if these are via Mary and the terms are rather generic. Thus, it seems to ME, we cannot be dogmatically certain on this matter. And it seems all 50,000 denominations agree since none of them (known to me) has a dogma about this.

I wish I could ALSO have checked, "Does it matter?" because I can't think of any reason why it does.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I voted that I don't KNOW, thus (like ALL Denominations) I have no dogma on this. There has never been ANY denomination EVER that has had a dogma of "Jesus Had Sibs By Mary" or "Mary Had Just One Child - Jesus."

There are Scriptures that speak of brothers and sisters (even naming the brothers) but we don't know if these are via Mary and the terms are rather generic. Thus, it seems to ME, we cannot be dogmatically certain on this matter. And it seems all 50,000 denominations agree since none of them (known to me) has a dogma about this.

I wish I could ALSO have checked, "Does it matter?" because I can't think of any reason why it does.

Thank you for your post and contribution.

You are right, I should have chosen "multitple options allowed" and I thought about that after the fact, as I too would probably have voted both those you mentioned. God bless

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Mat 13:55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?

Mar 6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Gal 1:19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.

I have heard the arguments about the word "brother" and "brethren", but I believe without a doubt in my heart that these were the half-brothers of Jesus and James is the same James that wrote the book of James and was the head of the Church in Jerusalem who was talked about in Acts. Joses was Jude who wrote the book of Jude.

I think it does matter if one is trying to find absolute truth in the Bible. When I read the Word, I am always trying to "connect the dots" and see how different people and places are related to each other. To me, it reveals the purity of the Word.

Now, I say that with the love for my fellow Christians who do not have the same yearning or beliefs as I do.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Question. Did Jesus have brothers and sisters that were born thru Mary after the birth of Jesus?
I would like to see the Scriptures for and against any view rendered on this thread. Thanks and God bless
Hi LittleLamb.
According to Scripture, yes, she had other babies.
(Scripture posted by jpcedotal)

Mat 13:55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?

Mar 6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Gal 1:19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.

I think it does matter if one is trying to find absolute truth in the Bible. When I read the Word, I am always trying to "connect the dots" and see how different people and places are related to each other. To me, it reveals the purity of the Word.

Now, I say that with the love for my fellow Christians who do not have the same yearning or beliefs as I do.
I agree. If it didnt matter, it wouldnt have been recorded.
Perhaps it was recorded to help us to seperate the carnal from the spiritual...
keeping our thoughts on spiritual things, ...

Let's put the boot on the other foot - why wouldn't Jesus have any brothers or sisters?
Because He had a mom who was fertile? (not being sarcastic)
Why wouldnt He?
They aren't "him", they're mere mortals born of Mary and Joseph.
It doesnt take away from His glory in any way at all does it?
:idea:

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

When you say "scriptures", what do you mean?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi LittleLamb.
According to Scripture, yes, she had other babies.
(Scripture posted by jpcedotal)

I agree. If it didnt matter, it wouldnt have been recorded.
Perhaps it was recorded to help us to seperate the carnal from the spiritual...
keeping our thoughts on spiritual things, ...

Because He had a mom who was fertile? (not being sarcastic)
Why wouldnt He?
They aren't "him", they're mere mortals born of Mary and Joseph.
It doesnt take away from His glory in any way at all does it?
:idea:
Thank you for posting your view sun!

Ok, are there Scriptures by those that believe Mary did not/would not have children after Jesus was born, whether implied or not that can refute the claim of those that say Mary did have children after our Lord was born? Thanks :wave:

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
When you say "scriptures", what do you mean?
Hi New Dawn and good question. What is deemed as Scripture/s today? I am mainly referrring to the OT and NT though I realize some Denominations have more books in the Canon than others.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
LLoJ I think New Dawn was looking for a response from you regarding what you meant by scriptures. What did you mean?
Could you both elaborate on that for me? Thanks

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The perpetual virginity of Mary, Mary's "real and perpetual virginity even in the act of giving birth to the Son of God made Man", is part of the teaching of the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox Churches, as expressed in their liturgies, in which they repeatedly refer to Mary as "ever virgin". Thus, according to this teaching, Mary was ever-virgin (Greek ἀειπάρθενος, aeiparthenos) for the whole of her life, making Jesus her only biological son, whose conception and birth are held to be miraculous.

The doctrine of the perpetual virginity of Mary, which is believed as de fide, i.e. as a doctrine that is an essential part of the faith and thus has the highest degree of certainty, states that Mary was a virgin before, during and after giving birth, and so covers much more than the doctrine of her virginal conception of Jesus, often referred to as the virgin birth of Jesus. It is also distinct from the dogma of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, which relates to the conception of the Virgin Mary herself without any stain ("macula" in Latin) of original sin.

This common tradition of the perpetual virginity of Mary is one element in the well-established theology regarding the Theotokos in both East and West, a field of study known as Mariology.

The virginity of Mary at the time of her conception of Jesus is a key topic in Roman Catholic Marian art, usually represented as the annunciation to Mary by the Archangel Gabriel that she would virginally conceive a child to be born the Son of God. Frescos depicting this scene have appeared in Roman Catholic Marian churches for centuries. Mary's virginity even after her conception of Jesus is regularly represented in the art of both the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox (as well as in early Western religious art) by including in Nativity scenes the figure of Salome, whom the Gospel of James presents as finding that Mary had preserved her virginity even in giving birth to her son.

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Reactions: MrPolo
Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Could you both elaborate on that for me? Thanks

I was under the impression that the Apostolic Churches used non-canonical writings to support their stance of the ever-virginity of Mary, so I was wondering what "scriptures" you wanted to limit it to for proof.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was under the impression that the Apostolic Churches used non-canonical writings to support their stance of the ever-virginity of Mary, so I was wondering what "scriptures" you wanted to limit it to for proof.

Thanks.
Greetings. Then those who view non-Canonical writings as either inspired or historical true can use them to quote from.

I do not want to open a can of worms on the subject on which Canon is or is not inspired for now.

So everyone just quote from what ever sources are deemed inspired by their particular Denomination. Hope I am being more clear. As for me, where the Scriptures/Bible are silent, so am I. God bless

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The second-century work originally known as the Nativity of Mary, but later known as the Protoevangelium of James, pays special attention to Mary’s virginity. In the opinion of Johannes Quasten, "The principal aim of the whole writing is to prove the perpetual and inviolate virginity of Mary before, during, and after the birth of Christ." In the text, a test confirms Mary’s virginity before birth, and the absence of labour pains, and a midwife’s examination, demonstrates Mary’s virginity during birth. The work also claims that Jesus' "brothers" and "sisters" are Joseph’s children from a marriage previous to his union with Mary. It asserts that Mary's mother, Anne, gave Mary as a "virgin of the Lord" in service in the Temple, and that Joseph, a widower, was to serve as her guardian (legal protections for women depended on their having a male protector: father, brother, or, failing that, a husband). This may correlate to the Bible's presentation that women devoted to perpetual service at the temple was a centuries-old practice contemporary to Mary's lifetime. This text does not explicitly assert Mary's perpetual virginity after the birth of Jesus. But another book, "The History of Joseph the Carpenter", presents Jesus as speaking, at the death of Joseph, of Mary as "my mother, virgin undefiled".

Origen, in his Commentary on Matthew (c. 248), expressly states belief in Mary’s perpetual virginity. In the words of Luigi Gambero, “Origen not only has no doubts but seems directly to imply that this is a truth already recognised as an integral part of the deposit of faith.” In this context, Origen interpreted the comments of Ignatius of Antioch (d. c 108) as significant:

On this subject, I have found a fine observation in a letter of the martyr Ignatius, second bishop of Antioch after Peter, who fought with the wild beasts during the persecution in Rome. Mary’s virginity was hidden from the prince of this world, hidden thanks to Joseph and her marriage to him. Her virginity was kept hidden because she was thought to be married.

By the fourth century, the doctrine is well attested. For example, references can be found in the writings of Athanasius, Epiphanius, Hilary, Didymus, Ambrose, Jerome, Siricius, and others.

However, Tertullian (155-220), while holding that Mary conceived Jesus as a virgin, denied that her virginity was preserved in his birth, thus emphasizing the reality of her son's body, and the unorthodox monk Jovinian (who died in about 405), who denied that virginity as such was a higher state than marriage, and that abstinence as such was better than thankful eating, also denied the perpetual virginity of Mary and was condemned by synods at Rome and Milan. These views were shared by his contemporary Helvidius, but were not repeated in the following centuries.

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think we're awaiting for you to do that. What did you mean when you said scriptures?

http://www.christianforums.com/t7400512/#post52892759
It can't be too difficult to both answer the poll I made and to give a reason for viewing it one way or the other whether one uses the Bible only or both the Bible and other outside sources.

Now can we move on :thumbsup:

John 5:39 "Ye are searching the Writings that ye are seeming in them Life age-during to be having, and those are the ones-testifying about Me".

Reve 14:11 And the smoke of the tormentingof them into ages of ages is ascending and not they are having Rest day and night

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.