• Yes, I/we believe Mary had children after Jesus was born

• No. I/we believe she did not have children after Jesus

• I am not sure

• Does it matter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiosity

American by birth; Southern by the grace of God.
Feb 20, 2007
✟11,055.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Still the question remains where it is in the Bible....

And also where in the Bible it says that ALL we should know about God we should know them through the Bible? I do not recall reading that...;)
The Bible is acknowledged as God's word to us. Anything outside of that is the conjecture of man.

Upvote 0

polishbeast

Servant of Jesus
Apr 14, 2008
UCF
✟9,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Where is it even intimated?

I think you are misunderstanding what I said. In the same way the word Trinity isnt used in the Bible, the word Ever-Virginity isnt mentioned but it is taught in the exact same way as the Trinity

Reactions: MrPolo
Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is acknowledged as God's word to us. Anything outside of that is the conjecture of man.

So you are adminting that the Holy Trinity is a conjecture of man? Since it is defenately a term used "outside" of the Bible...

Upvote 0

Mobiosity

Feb 20, 2007
✟11,055.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I think you are misunderstanding what I said. In the same way the word Trinity isnt used in the Bible, the word Ever-Virginity isnt mentioned but it is taught in the exact same way as the Trinity
God the Father, Jesus Christ, and Holy Spirit as one is in The Bible. The term trinity is not. The virginity of Mary is a given at Jesus birth. The mention of His brothers and sisters certainly makes her virginity after Jesus' birth unlikely.

Upvote 0

Mobiosity

Feb 20, 2007
✟11,055.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
So you are adminting that the Holy Trinity is a conjecture of man? Since it is defenately a term used "outside" of the Bible...
The term is certainly a device of man to make mentioning Father, Son and Holy Spirit less cumbersome.

Upvote 0

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
So you believe ONLY what is in the Bible ? where is the word Trinity in the Bible then?

The word "Trinity" is not in the bible, the word "Godhead" is. And that consist of the Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit. And to continue on that note, is an entirely different thread.

But the idea of Mary being a virgin forever is not found in scripture. She was a virgin when she had Christ, and fulfilled the prophesy. God allowed her to marry Joseph and we are told that they knew each other sometimes after she gave birth to Christ, I am assuming after she also gave purification for herself because she was unclean because she gave birth (Luke 2:22-24), you also found out that in that passage, Mary and Joseph was of modest means (Lev. 12:8). And some here have tried to suppress the verses that tells us that Jesus had brothers and sisters but if you are truly one seeking the truth in scripture, then you have to take these scriptures for what it says. Simply by changing the words "brothers" and "until' and make them fit a dogma that you want it to fit, doesn't change the context of what scripture says.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The term is certainly a device of man to make mentioning Father, Son and Holy Spirit less cumbersome.

It truly does not matter it still not in the Bible. Trying to rationalize it... or not. The three persons are but the tern is not ....Why use the term and agree on a term that is not mentioned in the Bible...

Where does it say in the bible that ALL truth about God is in the Bible?

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The word "Trinity" is not in the bible, the word "Godhead" is. And that consist of the Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit. And to continue on that note, is an entirely different thread.

But the idea of Mary being a virgin forever is not found in scripture. She was a virgin when she had Christ, and fulfilled the prophesy. God allowed her to marry Joseph and we are told that they knew each other sometimes after she gave birth to Christ, I am assuming after she also gave purification for herself because she was unclean because she gave birth (Luke 2:22-24), you also found out that in that passage, Mary and Joseph was of modest means (Lev. 12:8). And some here have tried to suppress the verses that tells us that Jesus had brothers and sisters but if you are truly one seeking the truth in scripture, then you have to take these scriptures for what it says. Simply by changing the words "brothers" and "until' and make them fit a dogma that you want it to fit, doesn't change the context of what scripture says.

1.where does it say that he knew her After Mary gave brith...that is not what it says....Where does it say she did had relations with Joseph?

2. suppressing ? We are not suppressing ...the text says brother but in Greek that is not that Brother or sister is used for the same as you use it in America here....it does mean in the spiritual or fillial sense...both are included.

3. Where in the scripture it says Mary did not remain virgin. Where in the scripture it says "Mary had more children from Joseph" ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
1.where does it say that he knew her After Mary gave brith...that is not what it says....Where does it say she did had relations with Joseph?
Matthew 1:24-25
Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife, and did not know her till she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name JESUS.

2. suppressing ? We are not suppressing ...the text says brother but in Greek that is not that Brother or sister is used for the same as you use it in America here....it does mean in the spiritual or fillial sense...both are included.
The Greek word that everyone is throwing around "adelphos" means EITHER brother and sister in the literal sense or brother and sister in the spiritual sense, and you determine which, by the context that word is used, and if you read the context of where it call Christ's brother, it takes away the idea that the word "brother" means disciple. Why? Well go ahead and read Mark 6:1-6, the people that would have known Christ the most, would be the Nazarenes who grew up with Him, and it is they who name His brothers. They specifically said in verse 3:
"Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?" And they took offense at Him."​
And Jesus responded in verse 4 as saying
"And Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor, except in his hometown and among his relatives and in his own household."​
Please be aware that we are told that Jesus was preaching on the Sabbath day in the Synagogue and His disciples were with Him, but it was not their name that the person spoke of when they named His brothers.

And the word for cousin in Greek is "anepsios" and that is not what was said in those verses.

Isn't it interested, In the New Testament, some are called brothers and sisters, Peter and Andrew, James the son of Zebedee and John, Mary and Martha, yet we never question where it means brother or sister in the spiritual sense, but once the scripture tell us that Jesus had brothers and sisters, all of a sudden, it's a big deal, and that word in the context, does really mean what it says it does. Interesting, isn't it.

3. Where in the scripture it says Mary did not remain virgin. Where in the scripture it says "Mary had more children from Joseph" ?
Does it have to say that "Mary had more children from Joseph"? Could it not say and then imply that when Jesus had brothers and sisters, they were His Mother's and Joseph's kids. For we are not told that she remarried, or that she had kids from another man, so why then when they speak of her children, should I not assume that they are from Joseph. And the sheer fact that we know that He had brothers and sisters, already implies that she had sex after she gave birth to Christ. Again, so does Matthew 1:24-25.

Upvote 0

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
Actually I don't think it is. It's probably a translation and/or translitiration(sp?) of something else.

The word "Love" is a transliteration, which has 4 means in the Greek word, but we understand which one based on context.

But if you look in Colossians 2:9, you will realize that the word "Godhead" is referring to Christ and whether that means "something else", I don't know, I just know that scripture puts Him part of the Godhead. :)

Upvote 0

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Does it have to say that "Mary had more children from Joseph"? Could it not say and then imply that when Jesus had brothers and sisters, they were His Mother's and Joseph's kids. For we are not told that she remarried, or that she had kids from another man, so why then when they speak of her children, should I not assume that they are from Joseph. And the sheer fact that we know that He had brothers and sisters, already implies that she had sex after she gave birth to Christ. Again, so does Matthew 1:24-25.
Maybe Greek speakers can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember right, there is a word or 2 that mean "blood brothers and/or sisters."

If I'm right that word and/or words would be used instead of adelphos which could mean a number of different relations.

Upvote 0

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The word "Love" is a transliteration, which has 4 means in the Greek word, but we understand which one based on context.

But if you look in Colossians 2:9, you will realize that the word "Godhead" is referring to Christ and whether that means "something else", I don't know, I just know that scripture puts Him part of the Godhead. :)

Yes it does but it does not explain more on that relationship.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Where does it say in the bible that ALL truth about God is in the Bible?
Just paraphrasing here, but doesn't John say that Christ did much more while he was doing his ministry, but there wasn't room to put it all in the writings??

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Are you also Greek like Philothei is?

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Absolutely the context has lots to with the word adelfos as the same word is used.... when it says "your brothers and sisters " it means kinship ;) that is the whole point here...It can mean even his fellow villagers. It is used to mean that ...

BTW you are wrong since the word LOVE in greek has different names :eros, agape etc. so depending on the word it gets translated accordingly....not according to context ;)

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just paraphrasing here, but doesn't John say that Christ did much more while he was doing his ministry, but there wasn't room to put it all in the writings??

Yup in the very end of the Gospel of John....:) thanks for remind me Dorothea ;) :thumbsup::hug:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.