Did God Really Tell Hosea to Marry a Prostitute?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But they THOUGHT they were. That was the issue. And they were trying desperately to hang on to that which they thought they had.

No, the real issue is that they did not obey God. Jesus said his brothers, and sisters are those who do His Father's will. Jesus said those who do what he says is likened to a wise man who built his house upon the rock. Jesus says, "If a man loves me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him." (John 14:23). For he that says he knows Him and does not keep His commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him (1 John 2:4).

How much do you actually know about the Pharisees?
Why does traditional Judaism now look at both Jesus and Paul as fitting within the norms of Pharisaic Judaism?

As I said, the Pharisees did not actually keep God's Word. If they did, then they would have accepted Jesus as their Messiah.

As for your statement about Jesus and Paul: Are you saying that we should not obey the words of Jesus and Paul? Can we be our own lords?

Do you not know that Paul essentially said that if any man speaks contrary to the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine of Godliness, he is proud and he knows nothing? (1 Timothy 6:3-4). Do you not know that Paul said that if any man thinks himself to be spiritual, that he should regard what he has written as the Commandments of the LORD? (1 Corinthians 14:37).

Are Commandments of the LORD just helpful suggestions or tips that are optional?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Imo, yes, he did. I will stick to the plain word of Scripture on this one.

It was intended to be a shocking thing to do, and it was. The reason is that throughout its history God says that Israel behaves like a harlot towards him. This is him making that message very explicit indeed.

I believe you are sticking with what you know to be a familar interpretation that you have known for a long time. But this is not what the text actually says. Again. Read verse 2. What is the context of whoredom being spoken of here? It tells you right in verse 2!

Also, how does your interpretation line up with God's goodness or morality? Would you just marry someone you knew to be sinful if there was a spirit you thought was God telling you to do that?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As for your statement about Jesus and Paul: Are you saying that we should not obey the words of Jesus and Paul? Can we be our own lords?
Wow. That is why I am saying you know nothing of the Pharisees. You seem to be looking at them all as a bunch of demon driven maniacs.

If that were so, then WHY would James, the brother of the Lord, who led the Jerusalem church in Acts, ALSO at the same time be the head of one of the 2 main Pharisaic schools in Jerusalem?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow. That is why I am saying you know nothing of the Pharisees. You seem to be looking at them all as a bunch of demon driven maniacs.

If that were so, then WHY would James, the brother of the Lord, who led the Jerusalem church in Acts, ALSO at the same time be the head of one of the 2 main Pharisaic schools in Jerusalem?

God's Word tells me all I need to know about the Pharisees. I quoted Scripture in reference to them (Without actually providing the verse numbers).

Also, are you saying we should disregard the book of James now? Do you not believe the Bible is the divinely inspired Word of God that is authorative for your life today?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So are you saying we should disregard the book of James now? Do you not believe the Bible is the divinely inspired Word of God that is authorative for your life today?
(shaking head) You are not getting it.

The Pharisees are not ALL bad guys as you seem to be making them out to be. (some were of course)

So I AM saying this: you can take the writings of certain Pharisees (like Paul and James) as the INSPIRED WORD OF GOD.

Acts 23:6 But perceiving that one group were Sadducees and the other Pharisees, Paul began crying out in the Council, “Brethren, I am a Pharisee, a son of Pharisees; I am on trial for the hope and resurrection of the dead!”

Not "I was a Pharisee.."

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
(shaking head) You are not getting it.

The Pharisees are not ALL bad guys as you seem to be making them out to be. (some were of course)

Not according to the Bible. Jesus called them hypocrites and said they ignored the weightier matters of the Law. Jesus told them to clean the inside of the cup. If what you say is true, then surely you would have a verse in Scripture to back up your claims that there were groups of Pharisees that Jesus talked with that were holy and good, too.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not according to the Bible. Jesus called them hypocrites and said they ignored the weightier matters of the Law. Jesus told them to clean the inside of the cup. If what you say is true, then surely you would have a verse in Scripture to back up your claims that there were groups of Pharisees that Jesus talked with that were holy and good, too.
Nicodemus in John 3.

And this group that sought to spare HIS life:

Luke 13:31 Just at that time some Pharisees approached, saying to Him, “Go away, leave here, for Herod wants to kill You.”

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe you are sticking with what you know to be a familar interpretation that you have known for a long time. But this is not what the text actually says. Again. Read verse 2. What is the context of whoredom being spoken of here? It tells you right in verse 2!

Also, how does your interpretation line up with God's goodness or morality? Would you just marry someone you knew to be sinful if there was a spirit you thought was God telling you to do that?

I read your interpretation. I did not find it convincing.

I did find Hosea convincing, however.

Reactions: JaapAap
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Both Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus were Pharisees. So was St Paul.

And so was the Lord himself.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nicodemus in John 3.

And this group that sought to spare HIS life:

Luke 13:31 Just at that time some Pharisees approached, saying to Him, “Go away, leave here, for Herod wants to kill You.”

But Nicodemus did not know about being born again, though (When he should have recognized what Jesus was talking about). Also, the Pharisees telling Jesus to flee does not equate that they were in complete obedience to God's Word, either. Like I said, the bulk dealings of Jesus communicating with the Pharisees was not positive but negative. He called them hypocrites. He said that they were of their father the devil. He said for them to clean the inside of the cup. He said they ignored the weightier matters of the Law. Nowhere did Jesus ever say to a group of Pharisees that they were in favor with God. That's kind of the point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read your interpretation. I did not find it convincing.

I did find Hosea convincing, however.

Yeah, but what about the moral issue, though? Do you just sweep that type of thinking under the carpet?

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Yeah, but what about the moral issue, though? Do you just sweep that type of thinking under the carpet?

The 'moral issue' is God telling Israel to stop behaving like a harlot.

No carpets needed.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amen.

It seems this guy would rather throw the gospels, Paul's letters and the book of James out of the bible if it turned out that they were all Pharisees.

The problem is NOT with these guys being Pharisees; but with how he understands the term "Pharisee."

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. While condemning the Pharisees, you are using the same kind of logic the worst of them used.

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Amen.

It seems this guy would rather throw the gospels, Paul's letters and the book of James out of the bible if it turned out that they were all Pharisees.

The problem is NOT with these guys being Pharisees; but with how he understands the term "Pharisee."

Quite so. :)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Very little is known about what the LORD thought of the life of Joseph of Arimathea according to the Scriptures. Remember, just because Judas was a disciple of Jesus does not equate that his heart was automatically right with God. Nicodemus did not understand Jesus and Jesus said that the mysteries of the Kingdom are given to them to understand (i.e. his disciples). As for Paul: He later turned his life around by committing his life to the LORD after a vision from the LORD. Nowhere was Saul/(Paul) accepted by the LORD or in favor with God when he was persecuting Christians. Paul became a Christian and did not live out the life of Pharisee. Jesus also did not live out the life of a Pharisee either. He had an objective and mission that was different than what the Pharisees did. Jesus called them Pharisees. Which means he was identifying them as something different than Him.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. While condemning the Pharisees, you are using the same kind of logic the worst of them used.

I did not condemn the Pharisees. The LORD condemned the Pharisees by his very own words in the Scriptures. Besides, it really does not answer the questions I asked, though.

In fact, here a few more questions: Do you think God is the minister of unrighteousness? Is not God good? So the question is founded on God's goodness (Which is what you are avoiding to answer).

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Did God Really Tell Hosea to Marry a Prostitute?

According to Hosea 1:2: Many well intentioned Christians believe God told Hosea to marry a prostitute. However, is this true?

Well, to entertain such an idea that the Lord our God would send a specific command to one of His prophets to indulge in an act of fornication with a prostitute is not only wrong but it does not make any logical sense.

It would seem it is not only your knowledge of Pharisees that is lacking; your concept of marriage also leaves much to be desired.

If a prophet were to marry a prostitute, then that woman would then be raised to the status of the wife of a prophet; no matter what she has done to whom or how often, her marital status makes her beyond reproach from that point on. Also, her husband does not commit fornication with her because she is his wife. So, there is no sin in Hosea doing this, and no sin in the lady accepting him. There would only be sin if she were to continue to sleep with other men after her marriage, but there is no reason to think she will do so.

Therefore the message from God to Israel is clear; even though you have been unfaithful to me, I remain true to you; I will cover your dishonour with my name; you will be to me as a wife, and you will be restored to honour.

Perfectly logical, and consistent with a myriad other messages from other prophets.

Reactions: JaapAap
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Very little is known about what the LORD thought of the life of Joseph of Arimathea according to the Scriptures.

In your case that is probably true.

As for the rest of us, the fact that Joseph of Arimathea gave the Lord his very own tomb when he died, and arranged for his decent burial, says all that we need to know. Nobody gives away a tomb to a casual acquaintance.

Upvote 0