DeSantis Debunks Book Ban Hoax

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,899.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
See this why our education system cannot be trusted. When teachers can't say kids should not be exposed to obscene and sexually explicit material then we have a real problem with the education system. This is precisely why we can't trust teachers or the

So yes let's put sexually graphic and obscene books in the kids libraries and tell them not to read them. Sounds like a great idea.

You've said this before. And it still makes no sense. Why not just put hustler magazines in there too. Then we'll just tell the kids not to read it look at them.
Sexually graphic and obscene are two entirely different concepts. That you constantly combine them into one single problem is telling. And if there is a book in your kid's library that you consider to be too graphic for her to read, then yeah...you tell her not to read it. It really is that simple.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,899.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Obscenity and sexually explicit material is not appropriate for kids of any age from 0-17.
Good grief. You can marry when you're 16 and fight for your country when you're 17. And you say they aren't allowed to read books that have a sexual content?

'Thanks for your service, sir. But no, I can't lend you that book'.
'Sorry sir. You can't borrow the book. Maybe you could ask your wife or your mother to come in and get it for you.'

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
For people who think ANY nudity is those things, yes. But for a reasonable rational person, no.

Still waiting for the banned books that shows "what this is really about".

You gonna make good on that claim? Or can we just dismiss it as baseless drivel?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sexually graphic and obscene are two entirely different concepts.

Not under a certain age.

That you constantly combine them into one single problem is telling.

That you imagine them separate for the under 10 K-3rd crowd is pretty telling as well.

And if there is a book in your kid's library that you consider to be too graphic for her to read, then yeah...you tell her not to read it.

Well it's a public school library so you can always just ask them to remove it. It's there to serve the public after all.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps because even in Florida most parents are not foolish enough to tell their kid to not read or view something and not explain why. All that does is raise curiosity and add the sweetness of forbidden fruit.

And since it seems few parents are willing to take the time to actually read or even skim the book in question so that they know what they are talking about the best option for most is silence.

A far better option would be to be able to recommend a book more in line with what the parents feel is the right way to discuss the issue. But that would be more work for the parents and if the parents simply want to pretend anyone different simply does not exist it becomes impossible.

What book are you talking about?

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This can't be true because Desantis has said they did not ban books about Roberto Clemente!
Hank Aaron and Jackie Robinson books are also on the ban list. Along with many African American heroes throughout America's history. There's no doubt these hidden truths have played a major role in the ignorance of successive generations of Americans. I was a bit surprised at how many books about Native Americans are banned too. These counterproductive culture wars are dumbing Americans down to tribal instincts it seems. Sad but not too surprising. I believe what my bible says.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
See I'm not actually stupid enough to fall for claims of "banning" regarding books under "review" that could return to the shelves in a matter of days.

So tell me about the books gone forever from shelves never to return.
Let me know when the review is done and rhe books are back on the shelf then. 10 months seems like a long time to read childrens books.

Frankly I'm not convinced folks who would choose to review these books Are very good readers. I could see them taking months/years to read children's books.

Here's another link with examples and the ir status.

Any idea why "and tango makes three", a book about gay penguins was too sexually graphic for grade 3?
Here’s a list of books banned, under review in Central Florida schools

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Let me know when the review is done and rhe books are back on the shelf then.

I'll pass. If you don't know the difference between under review and banned, I'll just link you a dictionary lol.

: to go over or examine critically or deliberately

to prohibit especially by legal means

There ya go, you take as much time as you want....

Feel free to let me know whenever you find those banned books.

Here's another link with examples and the ir status.

Any idea why "and tango makes three", a book about gay penguins was too sexually graphic for grade 3?
Here’s a list of books banned, under review in Central Florida schools

From its Wikipedia page...

"According to Julia Mickenberg and Philip Nel, professors and scholars of children's literature, the focus of the book is on the story of Roy and Silo and not on the underlying message of acceptance of same-sex relationships. By being a fun book for children, it is "threatening to wouldbe censors."

I'll give you that though...I disagree with the banning. I'm sure there's other books that are relatively non-threatening....but sadly, they got swept up in the filth of books like Gender Queer and its ilk.

This is the problem. Give an inch, they take a mile. If you can concede that Gender Queer probably isn't suitable for elementary school libraries (maybe not even middle school libraries) I'll concede gay penguins is probably harmless for kids. After all, it's an interesting parallel to how they gay penguins want a kid....can't have one....so the "zookeeper" a representative of the system running things at the zoo, just takes a child from someone else and hands it to the gay penguins. A bit like what's happening in our schools lol.

Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Sexually graphic and obscene are two entirely different concepts. That you constantly combine them into one single problem is telling. And if there is a book in your kid's library that you consider to be too graphic for her to read, then yeah...you tell her not to read it. It really is that simple.

So kids should have access to obscene books and sexually explicit as well.

Like I said it should be an easy answer. And you know what I dont for a second believe you on this. I don't believe that you would leave those kinds of books laying around the house and just tell your kids to stay out of them. Even when you are not around. What about drugs? Would you do that with meth? How about guns. Would you leave guns around and just trust your kids to leave them alone when you are not there?

Is there anything you wouldn't leave lying around the house?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,899.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So kids should have access to obscene books and sexually explicit as well.

Like I said it should be an easy answer. And you know what I dont for a second believe you on this. I don't believe that you would leave those kinds of books laying around the house and just tell your kids to stay out of them. Even when you are not around. What about drugs? Would you do that with meth? How about guns. Would you leave guns around and just trust your kids to leave them alone when you are not there?

Is there anything you wouldn't leave lying around the house?
In a library situation they'd have to ask to see anything that's graphic. To actually ask to borrow it. If I didn't want them to read it then I would tell them not to. It really IS that simple. It was always the same with booze, drugs, sex...there were rules laid down. Did they break them? You bet they did. But they know they were overstepping a line.

Keep kids on a too-tight leash and they will snap it at some point. Feed that leash out as they grow and they'll go too far at times. But you'll still have some control. Until you have to let them go. And when you lay down the law you explain exactly why. So 'the book shows things that I think you are too young to worry about.' And have a discussion about it. Explain that when they are little older then they'll need to know about it. And guess who makes that decision?

You got it. My wife and I. And no-one else.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
In a library situation they'd have to ask to see anything that's graphic. To actually ask to borrow it. If I didn't want them to read it then I would tell them not to. It really IS that simple. It was always the same with booze, drugs, sex...there were rules laid down. Did they break them? You bet they did. But they know they were overstepping a line.

Keep kids on a too-tight leash and they will snap it at some point. Feed that leash out as they grow and they'll go too far at times. But you'll still have some control. Until you have to let them go. And when you lay down the law you explain exactly why. So 'the book shows things that I think you are too young to worry about.' And have a discussion about it. Explain that when they are little older then they'll need to know about it. And guess who makes that decision?

So I guess your kids didn't listen to you then. All you talk if just tell them and expect them to do as you say isn't the end all and be all. You still have to do things to keep them from those things the best you can.

And since you cannot be with them 24/7 you have to put things in place to try and keep them from those things. I think you know this by what you said about asking to see something graphic. The issue is that is not really the case. These libraries have the books just on the shelves where kids can grab them and read them. They DON'T have to have permission to do so.

And the schools have shown a real judgement problem where they are using very poor judgement on this. And when you do, it's time for a change. You've shown you can't be trusted.

So since you can tell your kids all you want they will disobey you and there will be consequences when they do. But you have no idea what they are reading when they are away from your house. And if it's in the library they can read it with impunity because there is no one there to stop them and you will never know.

We as a society should do things to protect the kids as much as we can from this smut and not have a free for all in the school libraries and classrooms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal

That's right. You are spot on. The problem is you are assuming that you and your wife are making those decisions all the time. You are not. The schools are making those decisions for you. You may not make those books available to them, but the school is. The schools today have shown themselves not to care a wit, what you and your wife want. This is why parents are stepping in. We've had enough of the schools making those decisions for us. And we are voting for people who will do something about it. From the school boards on up. We are fed up with it because we believe just like you. That WE as parents should be making those decisions and not the school.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Then provide the studies.

Seriously. Provide them if you're so cocksure.
I'm using simple logic. It's not that difficult. If sexually explicit media is harmful to kids, which as an educator you should know this, then it's harmful to kids. Period. Are you trying to say that only sexually explicit media if it's in film is harmful, but not anywhere else?
As an educator you should be able to recognize an application. If it applies in this situation it also applies in another situation. If beating your wife at home is wrong it's also wrong to beat your wife at a hotel or car.

Man you just keep piling it in and proving over and over again why we can't trust the educators today. If you cannot follow a simple application that if sexually explicit material is harmful to kids in one application it's harmful to kids in all applications. It's simple logic.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,899.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So I guess your kids didn't listen to you then. All you talk if just tell them and expect them to do as you say isn't the end all and be all. You still have to do things to keep them from those things the best you can.

And since you cannot be with them 24/7 you have to put things in place to try and keep them from those things. I think you know this by what you said about asking to see something graphic. The issue is that is not really the case. These libraries have the books just on the shelves where kids can grab them and read them. They DON'T have to have permission to do so.

And the schools have shown a real judgement problem where they are using very poor judgement on this. And when you do, it's time for a change. You've shown you can't be trusted.

So since you can tell your kids all you want they will disobey you and there will be consequences when they do. But you have no idea what they are reading when they are away from your house. And if it's in the library they can read it with impunity because there is no one there to stop them and you will never know.

We as a society should do things to protect the kids as much as we can from this smut and not have a free for all in the school libraries and classrooms.
What don't you understand about this? If I think something is unsuitable then I explain that to my kids. The majorjty of the time they will do as I tell them. Of course there are times when they will disobey. They aren't, or weren't automations. I wouldn't want them to be. But you need to have that trust. If you don't trust them then they won't trust you. And it's not inappropriate content we're talking about. It's not heroin. It's not multiple sexual partners at 13. Good heaven's, let's keep a grip on reality here.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,899.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's right. You are spot on. The problem is you are assuming that you and your wife are making those decisions all the time. You are not. The schools are making those decisions for you. You may not make those books available to them, but the school is. The schools today have shown themselves not to care a wit, what you and your wife want. This is why parents are stepping in. We've had enough of the schools making those decisions for us. And we are voting for people who will do something about it. From the school boards on up. We are fed up with it because we believe just like you. That WE as parents should be making those decisions and not the school.
I don't know about your schools, but the one's I sent mine to were more than happy to keep us up to speed on what was included in the curriculum. There was never a time when I had a problem with anything. If I did then it wasn't my position to make all other parents comply with my views. Neither is it yours.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In a library situation they'd have to ask to see anything that's graphic.
I don't know if you've never been to a library, but that's not how it works.

See, we have these places called libraries, filled with shelves of books, places to read, and the ability to remove said books from the library.

Even without removing books from libraries, anyone can saunter on in, pick out any book, from any shelf, and start reading. There's no library patrol stalking the aisles ensuring pronographik filth is not being read by children...or to them. You're 100% wrong about how libraries work here in the US.

Upvote 0