DeSantis Debunks Book Ban Hoax

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,070.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It is not 'just' sexual conduct, but it includes sex, "simulated intercourse" as well as "actual physical contact with a person’s clothed ... buttocks"

If anyone is interested for clarification: From the law:

(19) “Sexual conduct” means actual or simulated sexual intercourse, deviate sexual intercourse, sexual inappropriate behavior with animals, masturbation, or sadomasochistic abuse; actual or simulated lewd exhibition of the genitals; actual physical contact with a person’s clothed or unclothed genitals, pubic area, buttocks, or, if such person is a female, breast with the intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of either party; or any act or conduct which constitutes sexual battery or simulates that sexual battery is being or will be committed. A mother’s breastfeeding of her baby does not under any circumstance constitute “sexual conduct.”

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,070.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I quoted the text of the bill.

It is not 'just' sexual conduct, but it includes sex, "simulated intercourse" as well as "actual physical contact with a person’s clothed ... buttocks"

Right, but that's why schools have libraries, so kids can find books that are not just the assigned course reading.
And they certainly still have libraries and lots and lots of books. They just can't view books in the library that are inappropriate for them to access. The schools library is there for kids to have access to anything they want.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,070.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Uh oh, does Coach Senator Tuberville have anything to be worried about? Or dose saying "Good game" cancel that one out?

I thought we were talking about books. If you want to talk about teachers or coaches touching the students you should start a different thread.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the books banned in Florida! And that is exactly what people are complaining about.
I'm not sure if that one's banned in Florida, but per my previous post, that book was banned in some California districts.

If it is banned in Florida, that would raise a practical question:

Can the very same book be banned in two different places for two completely different reasons, and have wildly different public reactions?

Here is one example of a book that applies to
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, by Mildred D. Taylor

So Cali districts ban it because "it has the n-word in it", and FL districts ban it because they think "it may delve too much into critical race theory"

Seems like polar opposite lines of reasoning that, curiously, both led to the same end result.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
And they certainly still have libraries and lots and lots of books. They just can't view books in the library that are inappropriate for them to access. The schools library is there for kids to have access to anything they want.
Madame Bovary is inappropriate because a woman and a man get in a carriage and tell the driver to keep going until they are 'done'? Anne Frank's diary is inappropriate because she masturbated? Catch-22 is inappropriate because servicemen overseas hire prostitutes?

This is rankest pecksniffery, sir. Pecksniffery, I say.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Florida district pulls many Jewish and Holocaust books from classroom libraries

Removed works include Saul Bellow’s ‘Herzog’ and ‘Black, White and Jewish’; no individual reasoning given for books’ removal​

“Suite Française,” by Irène Némirovsky, a Ukrainian-French Jewish writer who wrote her novel in secret under German occupation before perishing in Auschwitz

– “Herzog,” a semi-autobiographical novel by Jewish writer Saul Bellow, an outspoken cultural conservative whose son Adam Bellow is a publisher of right-wing Jewish books

“Bee Season,” a novel about a high-achieving family of Jewish scholars and cantors, by Myra Goldberg

– The collected plays of Lillian Hellman, a Jewish playwright and left-wing activist who was accused of Communist activities

Some of the books on Orange County’s list have come under scrutiny in the past for removals from other districts. “The Storyteller” was the subject of widespread press coverage after a member of the right-wing activist group Moms For Liberty successfully pushed for its removal from a different Florida school district earlier this year. “Sophie’s Choice” was recently removed from a third Florida school district at the behest of a Jewish parent’s challenge; both parents said their challenges were due to sexual content.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure if that one's banned in Florida, but per my previous post, that book was banned in some California districts.

If it is banned in Florida, that would raise a practical question:

Can the very same book be banned in two different places for two completely different reasons, and have wildly different public reactions?

Here is one example of a book that applies to
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, by Mildred D. Taylor

So Cali districts ban it because "it has the n-word in it", and FL districts ban it because they think "it may delve too much into critical race theory"

Seems like polar opposite lines of reasoning that, curiously, both led to the same end result.
I misread your previous post.

It is worth noting that California is far from monolithic. There are some pockets of ultra right wing populations.

Burbank is not one of those, but it is more Republican than surrounding areas.

In one important sense these seem very similar, they allow a handful or even just one parent to at least for a while to prevent all students from having access to books.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,070.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Madame Bovary is inappropriate because a woman and a man get in a carriage and tell the driver to keep going until they are 'done'? Anne Frank's diary is inappropriate because she masturbated? Catch-22 is inappropriate because servicemen overseas hire prostitutes?

This is rankest pecksniffery, sir. Pecksniffery, I say.
You know a lot of these books were pulled for review. They haven't been permanently banned. Some have been and rightfully so as they met the laws criteria. Anne Frank hasn't been banned. The book has been around for decades in versions that didn't contain graphic descriptions.

Your all worked up over a piffle. Parents can complain the book will be reviewed and returned if it doesn't meet the criteria set forth in law. Or the book is reviewed and determined which age it's appropriate for. Young kids shouldn't have access to the graphic novel of Anne Franks Diary. Some books like Gender Queer shouldn't be in any school library. The reviewers will look at the sexual content to see what she's its appropriate for and what ages it's not.

To kill a Mockingbird is still in schools in Florida.

Last edited:
Upvote 0