✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
On a more serious note:
Yes, I do wish that there were not denominations. However, attending a Church is great for fellowship, talking about scriptures, having a network of Christians to pray with. Being able to serve alongside side others, spreading the gospel, educating new believers, worshipping with others. Having people there to correct us in our sin or pride if needed and people to help guide when nwcessary.

However, as for denominations. They occur when people have disagreed about how scripture is to be interpreted. I am in a Baptist Church and they seem to read the Bible the same way that I do. I think they might be Calvinists though, I am not sure. The points I disagree on atm like OSAS and maybe predestination haven't come up. If it does and they believe otherwise so be it. I shan't be moving Churches. However, if there were no denominations and the Church expected me to pray to saints and Mary, blessed mother of our Lord Jesus, I could not. It would be against my beliefs.

In Revelation 3-4 the seven Churches. Jesus wasn't pleased with most of those. He remonstrated those. This was before a century had occured after his death.

We are human. We err. These people who erred were also believers. We have too much pride, no matter how much we try to quash it. It is a matter of pride to assume any one of us have gotten our interpretations correct. Even scholars can not agree. However, we are to love our neighbour and what better to be part of a Church. To be in unity with at least some fellow believers. Learning to love them even in spite of their faults. Christ is our leader, not the Church organisation.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There really is nothing special about denominations. They are simply gatherings of Christians, not unlike the churches in Ephesus, Corinth, etc. that we read about in the New Testament.

As you say--and as St. Paul thought--what these different assemblies believed and how the people acted was important, but not because there were separate organizations.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you think that the church got off of Noah's ark non-denominational... I've got news for you!
ROCKYTOPFA:

Perhaps this will help you to better understand the scriptures; God be willing.
Ask these questions when reading the scriptures;
1- Who are they addressed to?
2- What is the subject matter ?
3- Are the text pointing to the Law of Moses or otherwise?
4- Who was the sheep fold that Jesus said He had yet to bring into the Flock?
5- How did He bring these other sheep into the Flock?
6- Did He appoint the apostle Paul to tend to this fold?
7- If He did then why go back and use the scriptures that were addressed to the Jews??

Andy Centek

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Judges 17:6 = Judges 21:25
In those days there was no [Davidic] king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes.

Proverbs 14:12
There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi, so are you advocating any particular denomination? What are you saying? Do away with denominations? Then how would things go?

I like the idea of harmony etc but with many Churches reading the scriptures differently to each other what is one to do?

God bless
SAM91:

Blessings. Yes, I think getting rid of denominations would eleiminate the arguments between which one has correct doctrine and which one does not. My opinion is that Denominations bring about a split in belief in what the Bible really says. Man has a way in Denominations to say, Our way in correct and the other are error of what the Bible really says.
Did Jesus or Paul preach Denominations? Absolutely not! They preach unity of the Spirit. Then why follow Denominational teachings? Which one is correct and which One is not??

Andy Centek

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
SAM91:

Blessings. Yes, I think getting rid of denominations would eleiminate the arguments between which one has correct doctrine and which one does not. My opinion is that Denominations bring about a split in belief in what the Bible really says. Man has a way in Denominations to say, Our way in correct and the other are error of what the Bible really says.
Did Jesus or Paul preach Denominations? Absolutely not! They preach unity of the Spirit. Then why follow Denominational teachings? Which one is correct and which One is not??

Andy Centek
Maybe it would be productive to get rid of doctrines too and only quote the Bible
Maybe people would agree more.

On a serious note, I am a Christian first and foremost but I could not go to a church regularly that interprets the Bible very different to me.

Upvote 0

Tomb523

Jul 6, 2018
Atlanta
✟10,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
HI Dale:
That is correct, I do not attend a church any longer since I found the truth 0f what the apostle Paul told His people. Being in unity of the Spirit is not what Denominations are. Denominations are separation from the One Body of Christ.

Andy Centek

Firstly, I am decidedly non-denominational and attend a non-dom church; however, not going to a church is also UN-scriptural. Consider:
Colossians 3:16 ESV
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
Hebrews 10:25 ESV

Not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

I do agree that legalism is the primary division of the various denominations. Some say no mechanical music, others emphasis baptism and others how the church is organized, but with 3 exceptions, the basic theology is aligned among the major denominations. In those area's of legalism, you can chose to ignore it or you can make the attempt to edify the rest of the church regarding it's fallacy.

Even in my non-denom church I disagree with some of the doctrines. For example, I am an annalist vs eternal torture as I don't believe eternal torture fits the character of God. I believe we should continue to honor the feasts of the OT along with upholding of the law. We are not saved by the law, but the law is still in effect. Based on writing in the Thanksgiving scroll (part of the dead sea scrolls), salvation by grace and the Holy Spirit were already known and thus are not the purview of the modern Church. Still, I go to church and try to learn those things I can and teach other things. I pray for wisdom and discernment of the Holy Spirit in what I accept and do not, but to fellowship with my brothers and sisters in Christ leaves me with increase energy and strength in order to make it through the week.

None of us are perfect and only together do we find strength.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0