Sierra Nevada high country
✟17,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If a person is demon possessed, then the Church's ministerial response to that is exorcism.

...If someone doesn't need exorcism, then they aren't demonically possessed.

IMO that's similar to saying that if a psychotic person gets better on meds, then they aren't demon possessed. I've said a couple of times I don't know what the spiritual status is of folks on meds. I don't think anyone does. I worked in a psych hospital for 10 years. I do know that psychotic folks on meds are often lower functioning than the general society. Many live in custodial situations and still can't hold down jobs despite their improved functionality. I never said they don't need exorcism. I said I don't know. And because I don't know I would never counsel a psychotic person to open that 'can of worms'. I think that could be dangerous.

Why won't you answer my question about the biblical narrative in Matt and Mark? My main question in starting this thread was to discuss that. You seem to be avoiding answering this question?

About 2% of people have some sort of psychotic disorder. This totally fits the biblical narrative of Matt and Mark.

Do you believe Jesus and the disciples were mostly healing the mentally ill and not actually casting out demons? If not, where did all the demon possessed folks in Matt and Mark come from? They were in virtually EVERY village! They were arguably about as common as the sick.

Peace, Ian

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
IMO that's similar to saying that if a psychotic person gets better on meds, then they aren't demon possessed. I've said a couple of times I don't know what the spiritual status is of folks on meds. I don't think anyone does. I worked in a psych hospital for 10 years. I do know that psychotic folks on meds are often lower functioning than the general society. Many live in custodial situations and still can't hold down jobs despite their improved functionality. I never said they don't need exorcism. I said I don't know. And because I don't know I would never counsel a psychotic person to open that 'can of worms'. I think that could be dangerous.

Why won't you answer my question about the biblical narrative in Matt and Mark? My main question in starting this thread was to discuss that. You seem to be avoiding answering this question?

Because, as far as I know, I already addressed that in my first post in this thread. I simply don't agree with your assessment of the Gospels.

About 2% of people have some sort of psychotic disorder. This totally fits the biblical narrative of Matt and Mark.

Do you believe Jesus and the disciples were mostly healing the mentally ill and not actually casting out demons? If not, where did all the demon possessed folks in Matt and Mark come from? They were in virtually EVERY village! They were arguably about as common as the sick.

Peace, Ian

I believe that when the New Testament mentions demons it means demons, not mental illness.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Ian Ferrin

Apr 29, 2013
✟17,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I simply don't agree with your assessment of the Gospels.

I believe that when the New Testament mentions demons it means demons, not mental illness.

About 2% of all folks have psychotic disorders. Would you disagree with this? The wikipedia article on psychosis says that "In the United States, about 3% of people develop psychosis at some point in their lives" Would you disagree that psychosis is common and that about 2% of folks live with a chronic psychotic disorder?

Your first message only says: "As far as the topic of this thread is concerned. I don't think that the examples we have in the Gospels presents us with demon possession being normative. That our Lord Jesus Christ drove out demons during His earthly ministry doesn't mean that demon possession is common."

Basically all I've heard you say, including your first post, is that you don't believe my hypothesis. But where were the multitude of non-possessed psychotic folk? Did the Jews of Galilee really make a distinction between mental illness psychosis and demon possessed psychosis?

Surely psychosis was just as normative then as it is today? Where were they? Surely Jesus would have ministered to these folks?

Peace, Ian

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are the psychotically mentally ill of today the 'demon possessed' of the Bible?
Just my opinion but with what we know about brain chemistry now, it seems mental illness can make one more vulnerable to possession but is not possession itself.

Reactions: joymercy
Upvote 0

Ian Ferrin

Apr 29, 2013
✟17,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just my opinion but with what we know about brain chemistry now, it seems mental illness can make one more vulnerable to possession but is not possession itself.

I absolutely agree.

The prevailing view among Christian leaders is that demon possession is rare. I do not believe this is borne out by the Biblical narrative in Matt and Mark. About 2% of all folks have a chronic psychotic condition. I believe our Christian leaders, Christian psychologists and probably most seminary instruction cannot account for these 2% of psychotic folk in the biblical narrative.

I believe the ONLY explanation is that the psychotic folk of today are, by and large, the demon possessed of Matt and Mark. Jesus, and later, his disciples went throughout Galilee and cast out demons in nearly every village.

If the 2% psychotic folk of today weren't the 'demon possessed' of the Bible, I've never heard an explanation of where the truly demon possessed in Matt and Mark came from? ViaCrucis agrees with a former pastor of mine that demon possession exists but is really rare. My former pastor could never reconcile very common 2% psychosis number with the Biblical narrative. He basically glossed over the issue and refused to answer. I'd REALLY like to see anyone, anywhere that has a response to this!

I don't think we can have a real conversation about this issue until we address who the demon possessed of Matt and Mark are.

Do you have an opinion about who the 'demon possessed' folk were in the Biblical narrative of Matt and Mark? Please read the verses on the issue I posted in my original post.

In Christ, Ian

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is really not clear in the Matt and Mark texts. Why is there a clear distinction between healing the sick and casting out demons?

In your referenced article there is no mention of possession. I don't argue that folks probably thought various diseases were demonically influenced. But I really don't think the 'demon possession' of Matt and Mark is addressed by the article.

I'd also like to know how you answer my main question: Are the psychotically mentally ill of today the 'demon possessed' of the Bible?

Peace, Ian
No mental disorders are not demon related. Like Alzheimer's is not a demon but mental illness

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree entirely. And there are very clear criteria for differentiating between demons and mental illness.

Upvote 0

Ian Ferrin

Apr 29, 2013
✟17,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That our Lord Jesus Christ drove out demons during His earthly ministry doesn't mean that demon possession is common.

Demon possession WAS common:

Matthew 8:16 - When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick. (NIV)

Mark 1:32 - At evening, when the sun had set, they brought to Him all who were sick and those who were demon-possessed. (NKJV)

Mark 1:34 - Then He healed many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons; and He did not allow the demons to speak, because they knew Him. (NKJV)

Mark 1:39 - And He was preaching in their synagogues throughout all Galilee, and casting out demons. (NKJV) Note- this verse ONLY mentions casting out demons. Healing the sick is not included.

Mark 6:7 and 6:13 - And He called the twelve to Himself, and began to send them out two by two, and gave them power over unclean spirits... And they cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick, and healed them. (NKJV)

Three verses refer to casting out many demons. The other two verses paint a picture of encountering the demon possessed everywhere. This is the biblical narrative. Demon possession WAS common!

Last edited:
Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not understanding you. "No mental disorders are not demon related" means that all mental disorders are demon related. Is this what you're saying?
Sickness I think includes mental disorders.

There was quite a few demons mentioned, there was some that spoke and others were not allowed.

Someone with bipolar is more of sickness than demons. Though some did get tossed around and muted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some only by prayer, the deaf and mute demons, leaving the person like a corpse. Interesting a demon can be deaf and mute hmm.

Mark 9
25When Jesus saw that a crowd had come running, He rebuked the unclean spirit. “You deaf and mute spirit,” He said, “I command you to come out and never enter him again.”

26After shrieking and convulsing him violently, the spirit came out. The boy became like a corpse, so that many said, “He is dead.” 27But Jesus took him by the hand and helped him to his feet, and he stood up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
About 2% of all folks have psychotic disorders. Would you disagree with this? The wikipedia article on psychosis says that "In the United States, about 3% of people develop psychosis at some point in their lives" Would you disagree that psychosis is common and that about 2% of folks live with a chronic psychotic disorder?

Your first message only says: "As far as the topic of this thread is concerned. I don't think that the examples we have in the Gospels presents us with demon possession being normative. That our Lord Jesus Christ drove out demons during His earthly ministry doesn't mean that demon possession is common."

Basically all I've heard you say, including your first post, is that you don't believe my hypothesis. But where were the multitude of non-possessed psychotic folk? Did the Jews of Galilee really make a distinction between mental illness psychosis and demon possessed psychosis?

Surely psychosis was just as normative then as it is today? Where were they? Surely Jesus would have ministered to these folks?

Peace, Ian

It's entirely possible that psychosis was attributed to the supernatural two thousand years ago. But I don't believe that when our Lord drove out demons from those suffering demonic possession that he was driving out demons from those with mental disorders. Our Lord, in addition to driving out demons, healed the sick, the blind, the leprous, and the paralytic.

If our Lord ever healed those with psychosis then we don't know about it because it was not written, perhaps simply because psychosis wasn't understood two thousand years ago and so the Evangelists wouldn't have had the developed language to talk about it. But St. John in his Gospel reminds us that our Lord did many things which were not written.

Your right, I don't agree with your hypothesis because I see no reason to believe it. I don't believe that you have provided sufficient evidence to substantiate it.

Further, I see no reason to believe that psychosis is demonic. If antibiotics treat infection, then we can safely rule out infection being demonic; if anti-psychotics treat psychosis, then I believe we can safely rule out psychosis being demonic. I see no reason to think otherwise.

If it's demonic, then it isn't psychosis.
If it's psychos, then it isn't demonic.

I see no reason to think otherwise.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Ian Ferrin

Apr 29, 2013
✟17,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your right, I don't agree with your hypothesis because I see no reason to believe it. I don't believe that you have provided sufficient evidence to substantiate it.
How are those verses not evidence? Demon possession was common and everywhere!

Do the math. How many psychotics are truly refractive to meds? 1 in 500? Under my math, Jesus would have encountered 2 psychotic folks in a village of 100. Under your math, Jesus would have encountered 2÷500 truly demon possessed? IE, 0.004 truly demon possessed folks. IE Jesus would rarely, and very rarely have encountered a single demon possessed person.

You seem to reduce my argument to: 'Where were the non possessed psychotics'? But have you really asked 'Where were the truly demon possessed'? There just aren't enough of them to support Matt and Mark. You seem to be ignoring this?'

The idea that demon possession is extremely rare does not fit the Biblical narrative. And I believe discussion of the issue must start with the Biblical narrative.

Matthew 8:16 - When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick. (NIV)

Mark 1:32 - At evening, when the sun had set, they brought to Him all who were sick and those who were demon-possessed. (NKJV)

Mark 1:34 - Then He healed many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons; and He did not allow the demons to speak, because they knew Him. (NKJV)

Mark 1:39 - And He was preaching in their synagogues throughout all Galilee, and casting out demons. (NKJV) Note- this verse ONLY mentions casting out demons. Healing the sick is not included.

Mark 6:7 and 6:13 - And He called the twelve to Himself, and began to send them out two by two, and gave them power over unclean spirits... And they cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick, and healed them. (NKJV)

PS - And regarding meds treating psychosis, you use the example of antibiotics, which is curative. I think the analogy is more similar to diabetes. Insulin is used to treat diabetes, but the patient is still diabetic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
It's entirely possible that psychosis was attributed to the supernatural two thousand years ago. But I don't believe that when our Lord drove out demons from those suffering demonic possession that he was driving out demons from those with mental disorders. Our Lord, in addition to driving out demons, healed the sick, the blind, the leprous, and the paralytic.
Absolutely, this is clearly the case.

Upvote 0

Ian Ferrin

Apr 29, 2013
✟17,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Demon possession WAS common:

Three verses refer to casting out many demons. The other two verses paint a picture of encountering the demon possessed everywhere. This is the biblical narrative. Demon possession WAS common!

Just because our Lord cast out many demons does not mean that demon posession was common. That is a fallacious argument, specifically a non-sequitur with some elements of the fallacy of composition as well.

Conversely, we also cannot say that demon posession was uncommon; Scripture does not explicitly say one way or another, and it seems probable that given the reputation for being able to exorcise that our Lord and His apostles had, that our Lord actively sought demonaics to rescue, and later on, people would bring out their loved ones so the Apostles could exorcise them.

Upvote 0

Ian Ferrin

Apr 29, 2013
✟17,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just because our Lord cast out many demons does not mean that demon posession was common. That is a fallacious argument, specifically a non-sequitur with some elements of the fallacy of composition as well.

Conversely, we also cannot say that demon posession was uncommon; Scripture does not explicitly say one way or another, and it seems probable that given the reputation for being able to exorcise that our Lord and His apostles had, that our Lord actively sought demonaics to rescue, and later on, people would bring out their loved ones so the Apostles could exorcise them.

If you're going to call my argument fallacious, don't you respectfully need to show me my fallacy? Your accusatory second sentence feels derogatory to me. It feels like you're talking down to me.

ViaCrucis seems to believe that folks could discern between truly demon possessed and non possessed psychotics? Do you also believe this? I worked as an orderly in a psych hospital for 10 years and I sure can't tell the difference. To believe that folks weren't bringing ALL their psychotic relatives to Jesus just strains credulity. Even today, many families face large burdens caring for psychotic relatives. How much more burdensome were the unmedicated psychotics of that time on families? Families would certainly have rejoiced and presented their psychotic loved ones to Jesus as demon possessed? Wouldn't they?

Did you do my math? Mathematically, under your guys' model, the number of demon possessed would have been extraordinarily small, Use whatever numbers you like and I'm pretty sure you'll still come up with an extraordinarily small number of truly demon possessed. In a walking culture, how could, over and over again, 'many' truly demon possessed have been presented to Jesus?

Occam's razor says the simplest explanation is usually the best. And certainly the absolute simplest explanation is that the demon possessed in Matt and Mark are the psychotic folk of today.

Peace, Ian

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
If you're going to call my argument fallacious, don't you respectfully need to show me my fallacy? Your accusatory second sentence feels derogatory to me. It feels like you're talking down to me.

ViaCrucis seems to believe that folks could discern between truly demon possessed and non possessed psychotics? Do you also believe this? I worked as an orderly in a psych hospital for 10 years and I sure can't tell the difference. To believe that folks weren't bringing ALL their psychotic relatives to Jesus just strains credulity. Even today, many families face large burdens caring for psychotic relatives. How much more burdensome were the unmedicated psychotics of that time on families? Families would certainly have rejoiced and presented their psychotic loved ones to Jesus as demon possessed? Wouldn't they?

Did you do my math? Mathematically, under your guys' model, the number of demon possessed would have been extraordinarily small, Use whatever numbers you like and I'm pretty sure you'll still come up with an extraordinarily small number of truly demon possessed. In a walking culture, how could, over and over again, 'many' truly demon possessed have been presented to Jesus?

Occam's razor says the simplest explanation is usually the best. And certainly the absolute simplest explanation is that the demon possessed in Matt and Mark are the psychotic folk of today.

Peace, Ian

Firstly, I am not accusing you or personally criticizing you in any way as that would itself be a fallacious argumentum ad hominem and it would be mean-spirited. My criticism was solely directed at the argument you presented.

And the reason why I classified it as a non-sequitur fallacy and also to some extent as a fallacy of composition is as follows:

It is a non-sequitur because while it is true that our Lord and the Apostles had a reputation for exorcising many demons, it does not logically follow that there were more demons to be exorcised, nor does it mean that there were fewer. There are priests today in the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church and other denominations who have exorcised many demons, and some Roman Catholic priests are well known as exorcists having seen hundreds of cases. Some Pentecostal/Charismatic clergy claim to have exorcised even larger numbers.

We simply do not have data to assess the relative rate of demonic posession because the New Testament does not explictly say that there were more demons or indeed fewer demons than at other times. Since the New Testament doesn’t comment on the amount of demons to be exorcised, we just have no idea.

Now, the fallacy of composition is partially applicable to your argument, in this manner: just as it would be a fallacy of composition to say that because old train cars from the 19th century have steel wheels, the cars were made mostly of steel, when in fact, as anyone who has visited a railway museum can attest, old train cars from the 19th century were in fact made mostly of wood. Likewise, we cannot comment on the number demons relative to the total composition of the past simply because some were demonaic, although conversely, we also cannot comment on the number of demons active at present, because we simply do not know exactly how many fallen angels there are.*

Thus in summary in conveying to you that the argument you presented contained logical errors, I was not seeking to in any way disparage you or criticize you personally, but rather to assist you. I myself sometimes make fallacious arguments, and if you think you see a fallacy in one of my posts, I would be personally grateful if you were to inform me of it so I can scrutinize the logic in question.

I agree with the Anglican view that Christian doctrine should be derived from Scripture, guided by Tradition, interpreted using Reason. The importance of logic in exegesis I believe is underscored by the word for our Lord the Incarnate Word Jesus Christ in Greek: the divine Logos.

*We do know that God regulates them so as to limit the harm they can cause us, and even in their rebellion against God they are still subject to His rule, with the ability of the devil and the fallen angels limited (specifically, the devil is referred to as “the prince of power of the air” and Patristic testimony indicates that demons inhabit the aerial realm, and for this reason some Eastern Orthodox monastic traditions discourage monks from looking at the sky, because monks frequently come under demonic attack, see The Arena by St. Ignatius Brianchaninov.

Upvote 0