Do parents have a right to make decisions once a child reaches their 20's?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Depends on the circumstance

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Golden Rule:

"He who has the gold makes the rule."

Or, as they said when I was a kid, "The one who pays the cost is the boss."

The idea that parents should go into debt for choices they aren't making is ludicrous.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Golden Rule:

"He who has the gold makes the rule."

Or, as they said when I was a kid, "The one who pays the cost is the boss."

The idea that parents should go into debt for choices they aren't making is ludicrous.
I think allowing a child to choose their major based on their interest is pretty fair as long as they complete the degree.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think allowing a child to choose their major based on their interest is pretty fair as long as they complete the degree.

I think that's pretty fair if they're paying for it.

Are you, by any chance, currently paying for your child in college? Have you gone into debt yet for your child's degree? Have you yet set aside saving for your own retirement in order to pay for your child's degree?

The only compensation for me setting aside my own retirement savings for my child's college would be her getting a degree that will support her...and take that worry off my mind. If I have to go into an impoverished old age with her having gotten nothing to support herself from it, that would have been a foolish loss.

Now, I have a sister-in-law who has gone into massive debt paying for her daughter's degree in "General Studies," which she's "two semesters away" from completing for the last six years. Her choice. She doesn't want any more than a "Bachelor of General Studies," she deliberately fails and retakes classes, and she surely expects her mother to pay for it...which her mother does.

Her mother is a fool.

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think that's pretty fair if they're paying for it.

Are you, by any chance, currently paying for your child in college? Have you gone into debt yet for your child's degree? Have you yet set aside saving for your own retirement in order to pay for your child's degree?

The only compensation for me setting aside my own retirement savings for my child's college would be her getting a degree that will support her...and take that worry off my mind. If I have to go into an impoverished old age with her having gotten nothing to support herself from it, that would have been a foolish loss.

Now, I have a sister-in-law who has gone into massive debt paying for her daughter's degree in "General Studies," which she's "two semesters away" from completing for the last six years. Her choice. She doesn't want any more than a "Bachelor of General Studies," she deliberately fails and retakes classes, and she surely expects her mother to pay for it...which her mother does.

Her mother is a fool.
I take out loans for my degree,and I have had grants and financial aid to cover my associate's degree,so I have a good idea of how much it cost.I'm just trying to get the perspective of parents when it comes to affording college.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I take out loans for my degree,and I have had grants and financial aid to cover my associate's degree,so I have a good idea of how much it cost.I'm just trying to get the perspective of parents when it comes to affording college.

It's not a matter of merely knowing the costs, it's also a matter of weighing the costs against the benefits for the individual paying the cost.

If I'm going to make sacrifices to my own future, they have to be balanced by a genuine benefit to my child's future--a benefit I personally believe in, because I'm the one who will suffer for it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.