Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,383.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Alas, the NKJV is so very prosaic on this phrase; I like the "superfluity of naughtiness" as a phrase because it is so quaint.
:p

The thing with that translation is, if it sounds quaint, it is detracting from the significance of the message.

Upvote 0

Exodus20

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
✟7,742.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Wrong......

2 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation.

:clap: Agreed !

It is scary to think that there are folks driving automobiles that may have a different opinion about the meaning of a word , such as: STOP on a red sign post at a road intersection.

Sadly - one of the reasons why there are sooooo very many different Church groups is because some folks twist verses out of context , and/or they ignore verses/sections of Holy Writ.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
I believe there is also a scripture that says what is not of faith is sin too.

The Bible says that what ever is not of faith is sin.

Rom 14:23
And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith : for whatsoever is not of faith is sin . KJV

Interesting that most choose to ignore this.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Interesting that most choose to ignore this.

I didn't ignore it. But I've posted before on whatever is not of faith is sin, and to know to do good and not do it is sin ... I usually feel like I'm talking to a wall for the answers I tend to get, so ... I didn't comment this time. :)

Perhaps others feel the same?

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:clap: Agreed !

It is scary to think that there are folks driving automobiles that may have a different opinion about the meaning of a word , such as: STOP on a red sign post at a road intersection.

Sadly - one of the reasons why there are sooooo very many different Church groups is because some folks twist verses out of context , and/or they ignore verses/sections of Holy Writ.

...including your Church group.

Everyone else is twisting things out of context. That's what everyone says, anyway.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't ignore it. But I've posted before on whatever is not of faith is sin, and to know to do good and not do it is sin ... I usually feel like I'm talking to a wall for the answers I tend to get, so ... I didn't comment this time. :)

Perhaps others feel the same?

Per the example given before, I would say that we don't lie because we would not like to be lied to. It's a demonstration of loving our neighbor as ourselves.

Whatever is not of faith is sin. And faith that is devoid of love is a clanging gong.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, if "superfluity of naughtiness" will not do as a definition then how about this?

Sin is an offence against God as well as a fault against reason, truth, and right conscience. Sin is a deliberate thought, word, deed, or omission contrary to the eternal law of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are many ways to define sin, but the definitive definition is : "Sin is to be against God". Whoever is not for Christ is against Christ, whoever does not gather scatters. Test it, Rahab lied but she was for God. The false prophets cast out demons but they did not gather. The partial believers fawned over the rich visitor but ignored the poor. Whoever breaks one law breaks all the law..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.