Definition of Sin According to the Bible

G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Except that is not what the verse says.... And all the thousands of disagreeing professing Christian denominations consititute private interpretation in their ablitity not to agree.

You realize that tons of people say they're just reading the Bible and read it differently, right? So even just their non-interpretive readings are still interpretations. Even the right interpretation is an interpretation.

And, again, that's not what the whole passage is saying. Don't just read one pet verse. Read at least half the chapter.

Upvote 0

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,383.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Please explain how one distinguishes between outlook/opinion and that which is derived from the text. Also, it would be helpful to know how this distinction is related to the task of biblical interpretation.
The distinction between a person having an outlook and opinion is the same.... Uncertainty of their own understandng.

Upvote 0

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,383.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Could be. It is a phrase of abundant quaintness ;)

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. (James 1:19-21 KJV)

I prefer the NKJV.... Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness,

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible says that what ever is not of faith is sin.

Those who have no clue to what faith is will immediately say something like.

O, but he was talking about food and ...........................................

Rom 14:23
And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith : for whatsoever is not of faith is sin . KJV

Upvote 0

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,383.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
You realize that tons of people say they're just reading the Bible and read it differently, right? So even just their non-interpretive readings are still interpretations. Even the right interpretation is an interpretation.

And, again, that's not what the whole passage is saying. Don't just read one pet verse. Read at least half the chapter.

Actually reading the whole book trumps reading half a chapter. At the end of the book some will have an opinion and some will have the truth!

Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Actually reading the whole book trumps reading half a chapter. At the end of the book some will have an opinion and some will have the truth!

especially since chapters are of our imagination. a great many false doctrines have been started because people did not understand that chapter 3 is merely an explanation of what was concluded in chapter 1

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The most common type of sin for a christian are sins of omission. Doing something bad is just as offensive to God as not doing anything at all.

Agreed. I'm not looking to pin sins on people, but I've seen people assume they are "not sinning" because they're not lying at that moment, or stealing, etc. But what they don't realize is that they are also at the same time perhaps failing to do something they should be doing.

The more we know God's will, and the more we grow, I think the more we may see sin in ourselves - both sins of commission and sins of omission.

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please explain how one distinguishes between outlook/opinion and that which is derived from the text. Also, it would be helpful to know how this distinction is related to the task of biblical interpretation.
The distinction between a person having an outlook and opinion is the same.... Uncertainty of their own understandng.

Please explain how in your understanding outlook/opinion is related to the task of interpretation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. I'm not looking to pin sins on people, but I've seen people assume they are "not sinning" because they're not lying at that moment, or stealing, etc. But what they don't realize is that they are also at the same time perhaps failing to do something they should be doing.

The more we know God's will, and the more we grow, I think the more we may see sin in ourselves - both sins of commission and sins of omission.

If we dont lie because we know its wrong we are sinning becauae our trust is in us....if we dont lie because God has changed our nature to be truthfull as we are trusting him to make us one with him then we are experiancing life.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If we dont lie because we know its wrong we are sinning becauae our trust is in us....if we dont lie because God has changed our nature to be truthfull as we are trusting him to make us one with him then we are experiancing life.

I haven't considered in those terms.

I do think there is nothing wrong with hating sin because God hates it, and choosing to do what is right because we don't want anything interfering in our relationship with Him.

I'm not sure where that falls in your spectrum, or if it does at all?

Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I haven't considered in those terms.

I do think there is nothing wrong with hating sin because God hates it, and choosing to do what is right because we don't want anything interfering in our relationship with Him.

I'm not sure where that falls in your spectrum, or if it does at all?

We can hate sin.. we should when our eyes are open to the death it causes(seperation from God)...but trying to overcome sin in ourself by self effort is the proverbial throwing gas on a fire...since it was self will that brought death in the first place.
We must trust Christ to live through us if we will live...so it not our self being obediant but him living in us.

*[[Rom 7:18]] KJV* For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

*[[Rom 7:22-23]] KJV* %v 22% For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
%v 23% But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

*[[Gal 2:20]] KJV* I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

*[[Rom 8:11-14]] KJV*
%v 11% But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
%v 12% Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
%v 13% For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
%v 14% For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Adam lost being one with God when he became a self instead of a son....Jesus restored us by killing self on the cross that we may be one as he is one....so we trust him by his spirit to live through us and do not lean on ourselves at all.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We can hate sin.. we should when our eyes are open to the death it causes(seperation from God)...but trying to overcome sin in ourself by self effort is the proverbial throwing gas on a fire...since it was self will that brought death in the first place.
We must trust Christ to live through us if we will live...so it not our self being obediant but him living in us.

*[[Rom 7:18]] KJV* For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

*[[Rom 7:22-23]] KJV* %v 22% For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
%v 23% But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

*[[Gal 2:20]] KJV* I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

*[[Rom 8:11-14]] KJV*
%v 11% But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
%v 12% Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
%v 13% For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
%v 14% For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Adam lost being one with God when he became a self instead of a son....Jesus restored us by killing self on the cross that we may be one as he is one....so we trust him by his spirit to live through us and do not lean on ourselves at all.

I guess we're talking about slightly different things. But I agree it is the power of Christ that helps us to overcome sin. :)

I do find value as well in mortifying the flesh, as it were. Spiritual disciplines that focus one's attention more on God and less on the desires one's flesh produces. But it is still the power of God that helps us. :)

Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I guess we're talking about slightly different things. But I agree it is the power of Christ that helps us to overcome sin. :)

I do find value as well in mortifying the flesh, as it were. Spiritual disciplines that focus one's attention more on God and less on the desires one's flesh produces. But it is still the power of God that helps us. :)

Killisa I truly believe by your post on CF that you are a child of God....so dont think I am saying anything differant....truly I was just going to drop it but I must say this....God does not want to help you or streangthen you he wants to live through you....trust him to literally live through you and that you are dead in the cross(I know you have but it goes deeper). Grow in grace and peace....and dont think I dont know you are

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Killisa I truly believe by your post on CF that you are a child of God....so dont think I am saying anything differant....truly I was just going to drop it but I must say this....God does not want to help you or streangthen you he wants to live through you....trust him to literally live through you and that you are dead in the cross(I know you have but it goes deeper). Grow in grace and peace....and dont think I dont know you are

I do understand what you are saying. :)

God bless you.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Are you implying I've never read the Bible cover to cover? Because I have, multiple times.

I think it implies that you're wrong no matter what, because Gary is right no matter what.

Because reasons.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could be. It is a phrase of abundant quaintness ;)

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. (James 1:19-21 KJV)
Aaaaannnd I'm out.

Life ain't worth living without a superfluity of naughtiness.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I prefer the NKJV.... Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness,
Alas, the NKJV is so very prosaic on this phrase; I like the "superfluity of naughtiness" as a phrase because it is so quaint.
Aaaaannnd I'm out.

Life ain't worth living without a superfluity of naughtiness.

Without phrases like that the KJB would be quite completely antiquated :p

Upvote 0