Not open for further replies.

Stainless

Jan 20, 2008
✟7,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Mainly because I'm moping about Heath Ledger, I've got death on my mind.

Are there rituals surrouding a person's death in your faith? If so, what are they?
You have only one prime purpose in living. Harmonize what is within you and surrounding you.

Learn how to do it properly and there will be no death. But remember that harmony means motion, not merely peace.

But no, no rituals per se in mine, only regret in not acting soon enough to prevent it.

Upvote 0

Maxwell511

Contributor
Jun 12, 2005
Utah County
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Mainly because I'm moping about Heath Ledger, I've got death on my mind.

Are there rituals surrouding a person's death in your faith? If so, what are they?

Not a religious ritual but a cultural one. Essentially you bring the dead person back to their house, family and friends gather in the house and have a party of sorts to celebrate the persons life.

Here's the wikipage about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_(ceremony)

What do you do?

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ah, the wake. We have that tradition here in the US too, although it's usually held in a funeral home.

One thing my mother has started for our family is to create huge photo boards of the deceased. She tries to get pictures with everyone in them, so that the people attending the funeral will look through them and be prompted to talk.

From a religious perspective, muslims wash the body of the deceased, and wrap him or her in white cloth. The community performs a prayer, and the person is buried, preferably in a simple grave.

I'm not really sure about anything beyond those basics that are from the sunnah (traditions) of the Prohpet (saws), because I've only participated in muslim funeral rites from the community level, ie participating in the funeral prayer. I'll have to ask my husband if they do anything more then that.

Upvote 0

rahul_sharma

Hindu dominated India - Largest Democracy on Earth
Sep 11, 2004
New Delhi
✟3,888.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
For Hindus, cremation is the method for dealing with the dead (infants are buried rather than cremated). At the funeral site, in the presence of the male mourners, the closest relative of the deceased (usually the eldest son) takes charge of the final rite....cremation and lights the funeral pyre.

After a cremation, ashes and fragments of bone are collected and eventually immersed in a holy river (most prefered is Holy river Ganga). After a funeral, everyone undergoes a purifying bath. The immediate family remains in a state of intense pollution for a set number of days (sometimes ten, eleven, or thirteen).

At the end of that period, close family members meet for a ceremonial meal and often give gifts to the poor or to charities.

A particular feature of the Hindu ritual is the preparation of rice balls (pinda) offered to the spirit of the dead person during memorial services. In part these ceremonies are seen as contributing to the merit of the deceased, but they also pacify the soul so that it will not linger in this world as a ghost but will pass through the realm of Yama, the god of death.

'Shradh' is practiced one year after the death of the person. This can either be an annual event or a large one-off event. This is the Hindu practice of giving food to the poor in memory of the deceased. A priest will say prayers for the deceased and during this time, usually lasting one month, the family will not buy any new clothes or attend any parties. Sons are responsible for carrying out Shradh.

Upvote 0

TheOutsider

Pope Iason Ouabache the Obscure
Dec 29, 2006
Indiana
✟11,428.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe that there is a death ritual in Discordianism but personally, I would like to be cremated and have my ashes scattered where the Mighty* Wabash River meets the White River.

* - river not actually "mighty"

EDIT: I forgot that there is video of a Discordian Funeral Process. Warning, it is kinda noisy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-3yk7_kLU

Upvote 0

Vene

In memory of ChordatesLegacy
Oct 20, 2007
Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't believe that there is a death ritual in Discordianism but personally, I would like to be cremated and have my ashes scattered where the Mighty* Wabash River meets the White River.

* - river not actually "mighty"

EDIT: I forgot that there is video of a Discordian Funeral Process. Warning, it is kinda noisy.
*video snipped*
I'm less than surprised that Discordians don't take funerals seriously. And that looks like a good sending for Wilson.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheOutsider

Pope Iason Ouabache the Obscure
Dec 29, 2006
Indiana
✟11,428.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I'm less than surprised that Discordians don't take funerals seriously. And that looks like a good sending for Wilson.
From RAW's last blog entry: Please pardon my levity, I don't see how to take death seriously. It seems absurd.

Words to live (and die) by.

Upvote 0

NewToLife

Senior Veteran
Jan 29, 2004
London
✟11,839.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
In Orthodoxy we bury the dead, there are 40 days of prayers for the deceased. There is naturally a funeral service. On the Sunday following the funeral a special commemoration service is held at the end of the Divine Liturgy as an expression of gratitude to Almighty God for His merciful will to grant rest and save the soul of the departed person. The same hymns and prayers, the Trisagion Service, were read before the funeral service and at the cemetery. Memorial services are also held on the third, ninth, fortieth days after the death of a person. Also, after three, six, nine and twelve months (one year), which are multiples of three months that remind us of the three days death and resurrection of Christ.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Rahma asked:

Baha'is do have some practices that may not be well known..

First the burial must be within an hour's journey of the passing of the person. So sending someone's remains say over a long distance is forbidden;

Secondly, the body cannot be embalmed or cremated.. It is permitted though to donate say organs to be used by a living person.

If the deceased is an adult Baha'i a special prayer is said in congregation...the only prayer permitted in congregation in our Faith.

In brief, the Bahá'í law for the burial of the dead states that it is forbidden to carry the body for more than one hour's journey from the place of death;

that the body should be wrapped in a shroud of silk or cotton, and on its finger should be placed a ring bearing the inscription "I came forth from God, and return unto Him, detached from all save Him, holding fast to His Name, the Merciful, the Compassionate";

and that the coffin should be of crystal, stone or hard fine wood.

A specific Prayer for the Dead is ordained, to be said before interment. As affirmed by `Abdu'l-Bahá and the Guardian, this law precludes cremation of the dead. The formal prayer and the ring are meant to be used for those who have attained the age of maturity, i.e. 15 years of age (Q and A 70)

The Prayer for the Dead is found at:

http://bahai-library.com/file.php5?file=uhj_prayer_dead&language=

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.