Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Rather it is because of these words "Since you already admit that Paul and all other disciples were preaching that Jesus is the Messiah" - so then the "One foundation" cannot be either one of them, it can be that one doctrinal truth as 1 Cor 3 points out - that Jesus is the Messiah and of course all of Jesus' life, death, resurrection and ministry in heaven as High Priest - but it can not be turned-back on itself to be one of those disciples merely because they all affirm that "Jesus was the Messiah."
It is like Jesus is the head (foundation stone of the building) of the body which is the church *Colossians 1:18; Ephesians 5:23.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It was the only source you mentioned. Where else do you find "search engines"?
I never said that was my only source of information. That was you pretending that I was saying things I was never talking about. Now you have been corrected we can move on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What are some of your other sources? I'd like to get some idea of your level of scholarship.
The level of my scholarship is not important. If your looking to scholars (men) to know the truth of God's Word instead of prayerfully seeking it from God, they cannot help you. You might need to keep in mind it was the so called scholars of the day that persecuted and killed Jesus and the Apostles and the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God *1 Corinthians 3:19-20. I am no one only a fisherman saying as did the prophet Isaiah make straight the paths of the Lord *Isaiah 40:3. He (the Word) must increase and we must decrease *John 3:30. Jesus is coming *1 Thessalonians 5:2. He is calling us all to come out from following man-made teaching and traditions that lead us away from Gods' Word to break the commandments of God and to return to His Word *Matthew 15:3-9; Revelation 18:1-5; John 4:23-24. It is time to wake up, time to trim our lamps and go out to meet the bridegroom *Matthew 25:1-13. According to Jesus Gods' sheep will hear His voice and follow Him. Those who refuse to hear will not follow because they are not His sheep *John 10:26-27. The question therefore should rather be whose voice do I believe and follow; God or mans?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,727.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The level of my scholarship is not important. You might need to keep in mind it was the so called scholars of the day that persecuted and killed Jesus and the Apostles and the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God *1 Corinthians 3:19-20. I am no one only a fisherman saying as did the prophet Isaiah make straight the paths of the Lord *Isaiah 40:3. He (the Word) must increase and we must decrease. Jesus is coming *1 Thessalonians 5:2. He is calling us all to come out from following man-made teaching and traditions that lead us away from Gods' Word to break the commandments of God and to return to His Word *Matthew 15:3-9; Revelation 18:1-5; John 4:23-24. It is time to wake up, time to trim our lamps and go out to meet the bridegroom *Matthew 25:1-13. According to Jesus Gods' sheep will hear His voice and follow Him. This who refuse to hear will not follow because they are not His sheep *John 10:26-27. The question therefore should rather be whose voice do I believe and follow; God or mans?
So no other sources.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If you have no sources perhaps you can pray about it. I get mine from here *John 14:26; John 16:13; John 7:17 and you can too.

That's a cop out. All this really says is that all you have to go by is your own personal and private opinions about the Bible--history, academics, facts, and actual biblical scholarship be darned. Might as well be trying to say the earth is flat or that God lives in a giant city located in the Orion Nebula.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That's a cop out. All this really says is that all you have to go by is your own personal and private opinions about the Bible--history, academics, facts, and actual biblical scholarship be darned. Might as well be trying to say the earth is flat or that God lives in a giant city located in the Orion Nebula. -CryptoLutheran
There is no cop out. I use all the above sources but even here the scriptures are the # 1 rule of faith and if any of the above are in contradiction to the scriptures then they are not from God and a snare designed to lead us away from God if we put the teachings and traditions of men above the Words of God. There is no understanding of the truth of God's Word if God is not your guide and teacher *1 Corinthians 3:19-20; John 14:26; John 16:13; John 7:17. I only provided the scriptures stating this while showing from the scriptures that it was the so called scholars of the days of Jesus that persecuted and put to death Jesus and the Apostles. Your welcome to discuss with me the scriptures and the Greek grammar and word meanings. I already sent you a post in post # 391 with links to other posts I have already made here on subject matter, but all I have heard back is silence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl

May 17, 2022
BON AQUA
✟19,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles, not Peter, Peter was to minister to the Jews.

Deuteronomy 32:3
For I will proclaim the name of the Lord; ascribe greatness to our God!
4 “The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is he.
Psalms 18:2 The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
Ps 62:7 On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God.
Ps 19:14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.
2 Samuel 22:3 my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; you save me from violence.
Ps 28:1 my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; you save me from violence.

Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles, not Peter:
Galatians 1:15-16 But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood,

Eph 3:5-10 which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit. This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel. Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God's grace, which was given me by the working of his power. To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things,

Rom 11:13 Now I am speaking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry.

Eph 3:7-8 Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God's grace, which was given me by the working of his power. To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ,

Gal 2:7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter 8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles), 9 and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. 10 They desired only that we should remember the poor, the very thing which I also was eager to do.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
John 1:42 describes the very first time Jesus met Simon, who became an apostle (aka Peter). Jesus said to Simon, "You are Simon, the son of Jonah. You shall be called Cephas (which translates as 'Peter' and means 'rock')".

Why did Jesus give the name "rock" to a man he'd just met ... in fact it was the very first thing he ever said to him!

You don't know? Well, here's a hint: Read Matt 16:18

"You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." - Matthew 16:16

It seems to me that in Matthew, Christ gave him the name after this great confession, so there must be something about this statement that is tied to his new name, rather than the person himself. It doesn't make sense for Christ to change the subject immediately and direct all the attention toward Simon himself out of the blue. There is a flow in the text that connects the confession to the name, that the Church would be built on this foundation, this rock, of truth. Simon is will be forever remembered as 'Peter' for his great confession concerning the Founder of the Church.

We should also never isolate a text where it is better explain elsewhere in Scripture.

Upvote 0

Buzzard3

Jan 31, 2022
Forster
✟41,958.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
There is a flow in the text that connects the confession to the name, that the Church would be built on this foundation, this rock, of truth.
In Matt 16:18, Jesus said he will build his Church on a person ("I tell you, you are Peter"), not his confession.
Then in the very next verse, Jesus tells Peter he will give him a power that belongs only to God - "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven".

All this was planned before Jesus even met Simon Peter, which explains why Jesus changed Simon's name to "rock" the very first time they met (John 1:42).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iwbswiaihl

May 17, 2022
BON AQUA
✟19,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In Matt 16:18, Jesus said he will build his Church on a person ("I tell you, you are Peter"), not his confession.
Then in the very next verse, Jesus tells Peter he will give him a power that belongs only to God - "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven".

All this was planned before Jesus even met Simon Peter, which explains why Jesus changed Simon's name to "rock" the very first time they met (John 1:42).

That of course is your view of what is being said, not to mention the Roman Catholic church view, but there is only one Rock and scripture says that plainly, Psalms 18:2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer. My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation.

We can easily see who is the Rock in these verses, the name Cephas, means little rock, as Peter. Salvation is built on the Rock, Jesus and there is no other name under heaven whereby we must be saved. Jesus is the Chief cornerstone, as in a building the first stone laid set the structure of the building, and Jesus is the solid foundation. All other is sinking sand.

Ps 18:31 For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God?
1 Samuel 2:2 “There is none holy like the Lord; there is none besides you; there is no rock like our God.
2 Samuel 22:32 “For who is God, but the Lord? And who is a rock, except our God?
Deut 32:4 “The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is he.
Deut 32:31 For their rock is not as our Rock; our enemies are by themselves.

And when the Catholics speak much on this phrase about Peter, Matt 16:17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by My Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”…

And see also it is said about church discipline which you can read in context: Matt 18: If your brother sins against you, go and confront him privately. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16 But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, regard him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.18Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” 19 Again, I tell you truly that if two of you on the earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by My Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three gather together in My name, there am I with them.”

Once Peter came to see who Jesus truly was he became the little rock and knew Jesus was the true ROCK and there was no other.

John 1:40-42 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Jesus was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. He first found his own brother Simon and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means Christ). He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas” (which means Peter). And that word, Peter, both mean a stone, a little rock, not the Rock on which the church is built, Jesus is the solid Rock, much more studier than any of the largest rock formations ever created on earth, they can be made to fall by an earth quake; but nothing can shake the solid Rock who is Christ, the foundation of the Church stands strong and cannot be shaken when built on His word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟208,027.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That of course is your view of what is being said, not to mention the Roman Catholic church view, but there is only one Rock and scripture says that plainly, Psalms 18:2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer. My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation.

We can easily see who is the Rock in these verses, the name Cephas, means little rock, as Peter.
The Aramaic name Kepha, transliterated into Cephas, mean rock. It could be a boulder or a stone.

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl

May 17, 2022
BON AQUA
✟19,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Aramaic name Kepha, transliterated into Cephas, mean rock. It could be a boulder or a stone.

Nevertheless, it's not the foundation upon which the church is built and not even close. A stone or even as you say a boulder, is not what the church was built upon. The church is built upon the confession of an unbeliever becoming a believer. And Andrew is the one who brought his brother and told him we have the Christ(Messiah). Peter, states its the word of God that builds the church, 1 Peter 1:24 For,
“All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, 25 but the word of the Lord endures forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟208,027.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Nevertheless, it's not the foundation upon which the church is built and not even close. A stone or even as you say a boulder, is not what the church was built upon. The church is built upon the confession of an unbeliever becoming a believer. And Andrew is the one who brought his brother and told him we have the Christ(Messiah). Peter, states its the word of God that builds the church, 1 Peter 1:24 For,
“All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, 25 but the word of the Lord endures forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you.
"Thou art Rock (Peter) and upon this Rock I will build My Church."

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl

May 17, 2022
BON AQUA
✟19,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So you are saying that these 3 scriptures are wrong? If you do, you have another god, that is named Peter and the one mentioned in the scriptures would never agree with you.

They say Ps 18:31 For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God?
1 Samuel 2:2 “There is none holy like the Lord; there is none besides you; there is no rock like our God.
2 Samuel 22:32 “For who is God, but the Lord? And who is a rock, except our God?

Upvote 0