Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For him, he said, it comes down to business.

“I have no view on immigration laws or anything going on with that. All I know is I have a business to run,” he said.

A day meant to unite, instead creates another divide.

Ray said he told his boss the crew would be at work Saturday to make up for the missed day.

Jim said, if they want a job, they show up when they are supposed to.

He also said, if they want their job back, all they have to do is ask.

Local workers fired after not going to work on ‘A Day Without Immigrants’

LOL, 'if they want their job back all they have to do is ask.'
He is just proving how important these laborers are to his business and that they are not easy to replace.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
<staff edit>
Compassion for people in need is one thing, but the law is in place for a good reason. Can you imagine what would happen if immigration policy was eliminated so that anyone who could cross the border could do so? It would be the same as you opening the doors to your home to allow anybody to come in. That wouldn't just include those who want to visit, or a place to stay for the night, or maybe even a job from you. It would also include those who want to look around to see if there's anything worth stealing, and guys who are mostly interested in your 17 year-old daughter, or maybe even guys who are interested in your 8 year old son. But since you have no "filter" on who comes into your home, you have no way to know who these people are, and are endangering yourself and your family.

That's an example of security on a personal level. We need security on a national level as well. That's what the immigration policy is for.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Who can seriously argue that a business owner is in a position to open for business if most of his staff has not shown up OR even called in? That's rudimentary behavior for any employee in almost any profession.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Compassion for people in need is one thing, but the law is in place for a good reason. Can you imagine what would happen if immigration policy was eliminated so that anyone who could cross the border could do so? It would be the same as you opening the doors to your home to allow anybody to come in. That wouldn't just include those who want to visit, or a place to stay for the night, or maybe even a job from you. It would also include those who want to look around to see if there's anything worth stealing, and guys who are mostly interested in your 17 year-old daughter, or maybe even guys who are interested in your 8 year old son. But since you have no "filter" on who comes into your home, you have no way to know who these people are, and are endangering yourself and your family.

That's an example of security on a personal level. We need security on a national level as well. That's what the immigration policy is for.

Our immigration policy isn't all that good though. It's funny that liberals and conservatives all agree that reform is needed, but we haven't even moved an inch in decades. I suspect we won't see any change to that with the current politicians in charge either. Might be the cynic in me, but I think there are multiple issues that just keep going because politicians know they'll lose their seats if they were solved.

• Agree
Reactions: Moral Orel
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
<staff edit>
I have to show up to work or I could get fired. It's been that way at every job I ever had. You can't protest your employer by walking out and expect them to just sit there and wait for you to come back.

Bottom line, those employees made a choice to not go to work. They weren't sick, they weren't gone for reasons beyond their control. It wasn't a planned leave or an emergency situation. They just decided to leave their job to go protest and they were fired accordingly. <staff edit>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freedom~Sprite

America is free! If U R opposed U R Free to LEAVE!
Feb 11, 2017
Miami
✟16,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
<staff edit>There were two thieves on the crosses. Jesus was compassionate toward the one that admitted his wrong and that he deserved to be punished under the law.

The old testament is evidence that God was not tolerant of law breakers.
He isn't tolerant of them in the new testament either. Those that continue to sin do not see paradise because God tolerates the obstinate who break the law regardless of their being grace available.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
<staff edit> You accept a job from your employer and don't perform it, you will be justly punished. Direct from scripture. It doesn't matter they they are immigrants, it matters that they abandoned their jobs and were fired.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
<staff edit>You accept a job from your employer and don't perform it, you will be justly punished. Direct from scripture. It doesn't matter they they are immigrants, it matters that they abandoned their jobs and were fired.

Something I've noticed is that people seem to believe that things like protests of these types and civil disobedience are supposed to be consequence free. I applaud them for standing up for what they believe in, but those actions have a cost.

Now, the actions of the employer might also have a cost for the employer. People could decide not to go there (or decide to go there) based upon those actions.

• Agree
Reactions: Tallguy88
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Something I've noticed is that people seem to believe that things like protests of these types and civil disobedience are supposed to be consequence free. I applaud them for standing up for what they believe in, but those actions have a cost.

Now, the actions of the employer might also have a cost for the employer. People could decide not to go there (or decide to go there) based upon those actions.
Exactly. For me, this is just me seeing people lose their jobs for something that every working man knows he could be fired for: not showing up when scheduled and not having your leave approved. If they went into it knowing and accepting that risk, then great, they have my respect for risking their jobs for what they believe in. But if they expect there to be no consequences of job abandonment, then they must have never worked in the private sector before.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can't protest your employer by walking out and expect them to just sit there and wait for you to come back.

True dat!

Unions need to catch up on that reality.

Hostess — the maker of Twinkies, Ding-Dongs, and Wonder Bread — had struggled financially for years. It lost over $300 million in 2011. The firm proposed reducing its benefits to stay competitive. Unsurprisingly Hostess’s unions balked. But after examining the firms’ books, the Teamsters reluctantly accepted the cuts. But Hostess’s other union — the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union — would not. The union went on strike. Hostess warned them that the strike would quickly bankrupt the company. The Teamsters warned the Bakers the company wasn’t bluffing, but the union chose to keep striking. Hostess announced it had no choice but to file for bankruptcy. More than 18,000 employees will lose their jobs.

Read more at: Blame Unions for the Hostess Bankruptcy, by James Sherk, National Review

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
<staff edit>

People where I live decided to stop going to a bar when that bar threw out a group of veterans for wearing biker jackets though the rules when you walk in specifically say you can't wear them. The bar went out of business, even though they were well within their rights to make and enforce the rule.

That's how the free market works. The public can turn on you even when you are well within your rights.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
<staff edit>

People where I live decided to stop going to a bar when that bar threw out a group of veterans for wearing biker jackets though the rules when you walk in specifically say you can't wear them. The bar went out of business, even though they were well within their rights to make and enforce the rule.

That's how the free market works. The public can turn on you even when you are well within your rights.

I suppose so. I guess we'll have to see what happens in this case.

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
<staff edit>

First of all, the only one sending a message is the employer. Not only were they right to do so but they really had an obligation to the employees who stayed on tge job.

<staff edit>

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
<staff edit>
Jesus told us to love the sinner but hate the sin. He also reminds us that our action have consequences when he told the woman caught in adultry to "go and sin NO MORE".

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour