Day 26, Proverbs Chapter 26

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Proverbs 26
Everyone read Chapter 26 if it is the 26th day of the month today. Come back and give us your thoughts....Tishri1 :wave:
Proverbs 26New International Version (NIV)

26 Like snow in summer or rain in harvest,
honor is not fitting for a fool.
2 Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow,
an undeserved curse does not come to rest.
3 A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey,
and a rod for the backs of fools!
4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
or you yourself will be just like him.
5 Answer a fool according to his folly,
or he will be wise in his own eyes.
6 Sending a message by the hands of a fool
is like cutting off one’s feet or drinking poison.
7 Like the useless legs of one who is lame
is a proverb in the mouth of a fool.
8 Like tying a stone in a sling
is the giving of honor to a fool.
9 Like a thornbush in a drunkard’s hand
is a proverb in the mouth of a fool.
10 Like an archer who wounds at random
is one who hires a fool or any passer-by.
11 As a dog returns to its vomit,
so fools repeat their folly.
12 Do you see a person wise in their own eyes?
There is more hope for a fool than for them.

13 A sluggard says, “There’s a lion in the road,
a fierce lion roaming the streets!”
14 As a door turns on its hinges,
so a sluggard turns on his bed.
15 A sluggard buries his hand in the dish;
he is too lazy to bring it back to his mouth.
16 A sluggard is wiser in his own eyes
than seven people who answer discreetly.

17 Like one who grabs a stray dog by the ears
is someone who rushes into a quarrel not their own.

18 Like a maniac shooting
flaming arrows of death
19 is one who deceives their neighbor
and says, “I was only joking!”

20 Without wood a fire goes out;
without a gossip a quarrel dies down.
21 As charcoal to embers and as wood to fire,
so is a quarrelsome person for kindling strife.
22 The words of a gossip are like choice morsels;
they go down to the inmost parts.

23 Like a coating of silver dross on earthenware
are fervent[a] lips with an evil heart.
24 Enemies disguise themselves with their lips,
but in their hearts they harbor deceit.
25 Though their speech is charming, do not believe them,
for seven abominations fill their hearts.
26 Their malice may be concealed by deception,
but their wickedness will be exposed in the assembly.
27 Whoever digs a pit will fall into it;
if someone rolls a stone, it will roll back on them.
28 A lying tongue hates those it hurts,
and a flattering mouth works ruin.

Footnotes:
  1. Proverbs 26:23 Hebrew; Septuagint smooth
New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Last edited by a moderator:

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This verse stood out for me.

It is sooooo profound!

verse 2: As the bird by wandering, as the swallow by flying, so the curse causeless shall not come.

This is incredible! It means that a curse targeted against us without cause shall not find its way to us. It will be thwarted by our God Himself.

Isn't that delightful?

Isn't our GOD delightful?

bliss.gif

Upvote 0

YESLORDIWILL

Have you not read? 1Sa 20-22, Ps 52
Oct 12, 2012
✟11,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pro 26:2 the curse causeless shall not come.

20 Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth. 21As coals are to burning coals, and wood to fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife. 22 The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly. 23 Burning lips and a wicked heart are like a potsherd covered with silver dross. 24 He that hateth dissembleth with his lips, and layeth up deceit within him; 25 When he speaketh fair, believe him not: for there are seven abominations in his heart. 26 Whose hatred is covered by deceit, his wickedness shall be shewed before the whole congregation

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This verse stood out for me.

It is sooooo profound!

verse 2: As the bird by wandering, as the swallow by flying, so the curse causeless shall not come.

This is incredible! It means that a curse targeted against us without cause shall not find its way to us. It will be thwarted by our God Himself.

Isn't that delightful?

Isn't our GOD delightful?

bliss.gif

I still thinks this verse is sooo profound..

Amen!

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
...yes, verse 2 is so encouraging...

verse 20; Fire goes out for lack of fuel, and tensions disappear when gossip stops.
Talking about every little irritation only keeps the fires of anger going. Refusing to discuss them cuts the fuel line and makes the fires go out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi,

Since @Tishri1 started Proverbs A Day, and since The Bateman de Patrick,(@Patrick Bateman ) got us all to read this again, and even though at one time I read these frequently, now is again for me, like the fist time.

I read and I no longer understand what Proverbs, mean, it seems.

This is now like in the beginning for me again. I will read and wait.

Before, reading what made no sense ever, in the Bible, at one time after Knowing that God is Real, later what was said there, was given to me by God invisibly and unfelt.

That time seems to be happening again. I will wait, and just read and read, and read.

Did not God say somewhere, His Word does not return until It Has Done, What It Will Do, or something like that?

LOVE,

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Since @Tishri1 started Proverbs A Day, and since The Bateman de Patrick,(@Patrick Bateman ) got us all to read this again, and even though at one time I read these frequently, now is again for me, like the fist time.

I read and I no longer understand what Proverbs, mean, it seems.

This is now like in the beginning for me again. I will read and wait.

Before, reading what made no sense ever in the Bible, at one time after Knowing that God is Real, later what was said there, was given to me by God invisibly and unfelt.

That time seems to be happening again. I will wait, and just read and read, and read.

Did not God say somewhere, His Word does not return until It Has Done, What It Will Do, or something like that?

LOVE,

I think that's natural for a lot of people. Scripture definitely has the first glance 'milk' aspect which nourishes us nonetheless but the more we read the more it can become 'meat'. Maybe you're missing what you once understood and are seeing the more difficult things -- the depth -- of what is in Scriptures.

Happens to me every now and then as well and it throws you for a loop :D

• Prayers
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,150.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
And there came of all people to hear the wisdom of Solomon, from all kings of the earth, which had heard of his wisdom. - 1 Kings 4:34

I find the proverbs similar to other writings of the time. Lao-Tzu, Confucius, Socrates to name a few. In which the focus is correct human conduct. I would say that, since there came of all people to hear the wisdom of Solomon, that the Greek and Chinese philosophies have their origins in the teachings of Solomon.

Greek and Chinese Philosophies... Not to refer to the strange gods of the times.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,150.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The legs of the lame are not equal: so is a parable in the mouth of fools. - Proverbs 26:7

John Bunyan was a great writer in metaphors/parables and he explains the use of them in his "The Barren Fig Tree" work... Which is always nice to find authors who find righteous interpretation of the biblical metaphors and parables....

6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down. - Luke 13:6-9

In parables there are two things to be taken notice of, and to be inquired into of them that read.

First, The metaphors made use of.
Second, The doctrine or mysteries couched under such metaphors.

The metaphors in this parable are,
1. A certain man;
2. A vineyard;
3. A fig-tree, barren or fruitless;
4. A dresser;
5. Three years;
6. Digging and dunging, &c.

The doctrine, or mystery, couched under these words is to show us what is like to become of a fruitless or formal professor. For,

1. By the man in the parable is meant God the Father (Luke 15:11).
2. By the vineyard, his church (Isa 5:7).
3. By the fig-tree, a professor.
4. By the dresser, the Lord Jesus.
5. By the fig-tree’s barrenness, the professor’s fruitlessness.
6. By the three years, the patience of God that for a time he extendeth to barren professors.
7. This calling to the dresser of the vineyard to cut it down, is to show the outcries of justice against fruitless professors.
8. The dresser’s interceding is to show how the Lord Jesus steps in, and takes hold of the head of his Father’s axe, to stop, or at least to defer, the present execution of a barren fig-tree.
9. The dresser’s desire to try to make the fig-tree fruitful, is to show you how unwilling he is that even a barren fig-tree should yet be barren, and perish.
10. His digging about it, and dunging of it, is to show his willingness to apply gospel helps to this barren professor, if haply he may be fruitful.
11. The supposition that the fig-tree may yet continue fruitless, is to show, that when Christ Jesus hath done all, there are some professors will abide barren and fruitless.
12. The determination upon this supposition, at last to cut it down, is a certain prediction of such professor’s unavoidable and eternal damnation.

But to take this parable into pieces, and to discourse more particularly, though with all brevity, upon all the parts thereof. ‘A certain MAN had a fig-tree planted in his vineyard.’ The MAN, I told you, is to present us with God the Father; by which similitude he is often set out in the New Testament. Observe then, that it is no new thing, if you find in God’s church barren fig-trees, fruitless professors; even as here you see is a tree, a fruitless tree, a fruitless fig-tree in the vineyard.

Fruit is not so easily brought forth as a profession is got into; it is easy for a man to clothe himself with a fair show in the flesh, to word it, and say, Be thou warmed and filled with the best. It is no hard thing to do these with other things; but to be fruitful, to bring forth fruit to God, this doth not every tree, no not every fig-tree that stands in the vineyard of God. Those words also, ‘Every branch in me that beareth not fruit, he taketh away,’ assert the same thing (John 15:2). There are branches in Christ, in Christ’s body mystical, which is his church, his vineyard, that bear not fruit, wherefore the hand of God is to take them away: I looked for grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes, that is, no fruit at all that was acceptable with God (Isa 5:4). Again, ‘Israel is an empty vine, he bringeth forth fruit unto himself,’ none to God; he is without fruit to God (Hosea 10:1). All these, with many more, show us the truth of the observation, and that God’s church may be cumbered with fruitless fig-trees, with barren professors.- John Bunyan's Barren Figtree

• Prayers
Upvote 0

RevL

Jan 26, 2016
Mountains
✟7,649.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Like some of you, verse 20 popped off the page for me. Our tongue can be very sly and unbridled at times. There is strength in bringing our flesh into subjection. Regardless, I'm thankful that "God's mercies are new every morning..."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 26, verses 25-25 stood out for me:

"He that hateth dissembleth with his lips, and layeth up deceit within him; When he speaketh fair, believe him not: for there are seven abominations in his heart."

This means that although words may seem reasonable and convincing, they can hide a "hatred" in the heart, and the words are meant to flatter, deceive, and bring about destruction. The motive behind the words are hiding multiple abominations in that one's heart, and should not be believed.

Reminds me of this:

ee4162c4a8e51c01422f35c30069723b.jpg

• Prayers
Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
9 A rebel will misapply an illustration so that its point will no more be felt than a thorn in the hand of a drunkard.
Instead of taking an illustration to heart, a rebel will always apply it to someone else...

f24478e4f7e255228f1c7c98c9e621f1.jpg

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
9 A rebel will misapply an illustration so that its point will no more be felt than a thorn in the hand of a drunkard.
Instead of taking an illustration to heart, a rebel will always apply it to someone else...

f24478e4f7e255228f1c7c98c9e621f1.jpg

This is HUGELY profound. Amen.

• Prayers
Upvote 0