Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
8 The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to the inmost parts.

[If gossip is false and misleading, then yes I understand this. If gossip is merely finding out what is true, and telling others, then this, I do not understand.]

The word 'gossip' is almost always negative both in the Old and New Testaments. It refers to one (either sex) who repeats rumors or spreads mistruths or half-truths about others in a malicious manner; often time the goal is to make the person telling the rumors or untruths look smarter or more righteous by comparison. I find it interesting the first chapter of Romans mentions them in amongst some really evil actions. The term is also translated into English - depending on which translation - as 'slanderer' or 'reviler'.

This does not apply - or usually - to talking to friends or acquaintances to keep up with current events. Or a positive chat with another to buoy up their spirits.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
My first reaction was to avoid posting on this thread, as I tend to talk and write too much. My second reaction is perhaps I can stay out of trouble better this way.
Proverbs 18

The proverb is written in the Hebrew 'poem' form. It is much like the English language 'blank verse' where nothing is required to rhyme, but the lines have a specific meter or rhythm. (And I'll accept correction on that last part, if a Hebrew student contradicts me.)
The reason the translated versions don't alway have 'meter or rhythm' is the English words are not the same as the Hebrew words. But they are still written in 'lines' to honor the original text and intent.

Proverbs 18 New International Version (NIV)

18 An unfriendly person pursues selfish ends
and against all sound judgment starts quarrels.

Well, duh.

2 Fools find no pleasure in understanding
but delight in airing their own opinions.

Again, duh.

3 When wickedness comes, so does contempt,
and with shame comes reproach.

These three opening verses seem to be a warning to more or less innocent people to beware and not be snared into this sort of behavior. What might seem 'cool' and 'superior' tends to end in disrepute and the potential of being used by the villains. How many people - young and old - started hanging around with 'bad company' and ended up in trouble?

4 The words of the mouth are deep waters,
but the fountain of wisdom is a rushing stream.

"Deep Waters" are 'hard to fathom'; difficult to measure depth and understand what is blocked from sight by the waters. In similar manner, serious 'words' in the sense of thoughts or ideas, are hard to understand on the first attempt. Some Bible passages require several readings, and a serious student of the Bible (one who has formed the 'contract' or bond with Christ) will return and find 'new' things in the same passage.

Also, a deep pool of water in an arid land - much of the middle East - is good to find. But a 'fountain' (I get the impression of an artesian well) is much easier to use to water one's land. Finding a teacher who can continually utter useful comments is a great find.

5 It is not good to be partial to the wicked
and so deprive the innocent of justice.

We're back to 'things to avoid'. Justice works best if it protects all. (Don't get me started on political corruption, I'll be going all night.)

6 The lips of fools bring them strife,
and their mouths invite a beating.

And, if one hangs out with fools who blather incessantly, one gets a beating with them.

7 The mouths of fools are their undoing,
and their lips are a snare to their very lives.

Ever notice how people who know nothing are always telling every one else how to do they're job?

8 The words of a gossip are like choice morsels;
they go down to the inmost parts.

Talking trash about someone else is satisfying to some folks. (Things to avoid.)

9 One who is slack in his work
is brother to one who destroys.

Being sloppy in one's duties (or one's thinking) is essentially the same as tearing up stuff.

10 The name of the Lord is a fortified tower;
the righteous run to it and are safe.

I really enjoy the picture of the light house with the ocean crashing around it. In modern time, we don't have the same feeling for a 'fortified tower'; a place to avoid contact with an armed aggressor.

11 The wealth of the rich is their fortified city;
they imagine it a wall too high to scale.

We do not depend on 'walls' for protection any more. In the absence of armed conflict (close up to ME, that is) most of us have different ideas of 'safety'. So instead of wealth - and some still think money is their best defense - humans think of other things as 'safety'. Not allowing others emotionally close, not getting involved in 'civil affairs', and even being a Christian. I once knew a man who claimed God would protect him from a heart attack. Lost track of him a number of years ago. But this verse refers to any substitute for God - including our own righteousness - which will keep us from harm. And of course, eventually we all die. God will see to us IF we have made arrangements with Him first.

What arrangements? If you don't know that, become a Christian.

12 Before a downfall the heart is haughty,
but humility comes before honor.

Talking a fight doesn't defeat the enemy. Nor does brandishing one's 'faith' prevail in a debate. Humility is actually learning what is happening or being discussed without resorting to ego. And it follows on the preceding verse, as does the next verse.

13 To answer before listening—
that is folly and shame.

I have learned not to answer questions not asked. Sometimes one can figure ahead to where the opponent is going in an argument - the discourse kind, not the screaming and arm waving kind - and anticipate. But telling someone the location of the restaurant when they're trying to find the toilet is embarrassing.

14 The human spirit can endure in sickness,
but a crushed spirit who can bear?

Humans need some form of real hope. Not empty platitudes, not wishful thinking, not cheery songs. The deep rooted knowledge of God lasts where emotion fades. Sometimes, one needs that knowledge of God when everything is going good, too.

15 The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge,
for the ears of the wise seek it out.

Very similar to Jesus' comment on standing at the door and knocking. Or knocking and receiving. God seldom dumps information on the unseeking and apathetic. Much like building one's own house requires pounding nails at some point.

16 A gift opens the way
and ushers the giver into the presence of the great.

When the proverb was written, one did not approach the king (or governor or mayor or honcho) in formal audience without a gift. Obviously, we do not bring a sacrifice to God every time we talk with Him (what does He need anyway?) but we come in the spirit of servitude and need.

17 In a lawsuit the first to speak seems right,
until someone comes forward and cross-examines.

Get all the information before deciding or taking sides. Humans are notorious for 'siding' with those they know; however, it could turn out one's brother or friend is in the wrong. Make sure.

18 Casting the lot settles disputes
and keeps strong opponents apart.

Ever see two men in a barfight? Everything gets torn up. Tables, chairs, glassware, on-lookers, everything. Better these two should sit at opposite sides of the bar - or in different bars - rather than have that fight again. And if no one else, the bar owner will be happy with you.

19 A brother wronged is more unyielding than a fortified city;
disputes are like the barred gates of a citadel.

Another obvious truth from observing humans. Someone 'close' in an emotional sense will be more angry if they think they have been betrayed. Some one who is determined to be right is often difficult to approach. Don't let such things get out of hand.

20 From the fruit of their mouth a person’s stomach is filled;
with the harvest of their lips they are satisfied.

One finds contentment out of what they know to do in the will of the Lord.

21 The tongue has the power of life and death,
and those who love it will eat its fruit.

Not just for those in seats of power (like judges) but everyone can hurt others by what is said. The words of an adult to a child can be crippling for life. Siblings can injure each other by saying critical and harmful things which need not be said.

22 He who finds a wife finds what is good
and receives favor from the Lord.

Ouch. With three divorces, I'm going to pass on this one.

23 The poor plead for mercy,
but the rich answer harshly.

When this was written, people were often 'born' rich or poor (mostly poor) and stayed that way forever. Those who know 'need' tend to respond more freely. God gives to us freely; we should keep that in mind.

24 One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin,
but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

So which friend do you want?
So which friend do you want to be?

New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
Expand the quoted section for my comments, please.

Hopefully, I haven't offended too many people here.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
not at all, great to read...chewing it over...he he
10522228_1607499462852551_1542709659_n.jpg
Bless you, Pilgrim. If I've provided anything to 'chew', I'm delighted (as long as it doesn't make you sick.)

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
My first reaction was to avoid posting on this thread, as I tend to talk and write too much. My second reaction is perhaps I can stay out of trouble better this way.

Expand the quoted section for my comments, please.

Hopefully, I haven't offended too many people here.

Why would what you posted by offensive?

By the way, we haven't seen the sister who posted that in a while.

I pray she is ok.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
4 The words of the mouth are deep waters,
but the fountain of wisdom is a rushing stream.
John 7:38New King James Version (NKJV)
38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.”

Isaiah 44:3 - For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring:

Revelation 22:1 - And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
2 Fools have no interest in understanding;
they only want to air their own opinions.

I am sure that we have all met people like this,
Lord save me from only airing my own opinions...

Upvote 0