Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
soooo good!

I like this verse also,
c05d81ce5c3af5d11bca60eae786a3f9.jpg

I agree. A true friend doesn't stab their friend in the back during times of vulnerability and pain and treachery, when they are needed most.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Pr:17:14

Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam; so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out.

Food for thought.......

This is sooooo true.

Easier said than done, but God, through His grace, is helping me.

Amen.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Pr 17:1
"Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife." NIV

Amen.

Indeed and amen.

A very profound and wise reminder.

Reactions: SWIll
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 17:
Returning evil for good.
AKA: How to curse oneself.

it's akin to bringing a curse on oneself and one's entire family and household for generations to come, isn't it? Returning evil to someone who has done good towards us is especially abominably abhorrent to God.

This also comes to mind:

"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!" ~Isa 5:20

PROVERBS 17 returning evil for good.jpg

Reactions: SWIll
Upvote 0

BaptistBibleBeliever

Brother Virgil
Site Supporter
Dec 6, 2018
McHenry
Visit site
✟41,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding" (Pro 17:28 KJV).

I guess we've all heard the quote, attributed to Abraham Lincoln, but certainly derived from Proverbs is: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

It would seem that the moral of this story is if you don't have something good to say, don't say it at all.

The wise man would do well to heed the Apostle Paul, he had an answer for just about everything thanks to the indwelling Spirit of God that he listened to every moment, "Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man" (Col 4:6 KJV).

It is said that to keep a bird from flying, sprinkle a little salt on his tail. I have not proven this so I don't know if it is true or not . . . but you can bet that the way to keep the tongue from running off is to use a little "spiritual" salt on it.

Lord, You know we are prone to speak our own opinion and that gets us into trouble, as You did for Job, please do for us . . . "Teach me, and I will hold my tongue: and cause me to understand wherein I have erred" (6:24). Amen.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding" (Pro 17:28 KJV).

I guess we've all heard the quote, attributed to Abraham Lincoln, but certainly derived from Proverbs is: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

It would seem that the moral of this story is if you don't have something good to say, don't say it at all.

The wise man would do well to heed the Apostle Paul, he had an answer for just about everything thanks to the indwelling Spirit of God that he listened to every moment, "Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man" (Col 4:6 KJV).

It is said that to keep a bird from flying, sprinkle a little salt on his tail. I have not proven this so I don't know if it is true or not . . . but you can bet that the way to keep the tongue from running off is to use a little "spiritual" salt on it.

Lord, You know we are prone to speak our own opinion and that gets us into trouble, as You did for Job, please do for us . . . "Teach me, and I will hold my tongue: and cause me to understand wherein I have erred" (6:24). Amen.

Amen! Praying in agreement!!

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 17:

Joy.

"the joy of the LORD is your strength." ~Neh 8:10

God's joy is our strength. When His joy poureth in and through us, we are not only joyful, but we giveth joy to others. God's joy within = a merry heart, and a merry heart = good medicine. It prompts healing.

In so many ways, God's joy is our "strength". It's not only good medicine for our immune systems, as in the endorphins it releases, like good li'l soldiers that fight the good fight, but it's also like "armor", in that it not only "disarms" the enemy, but it is "deadly" to the enemy. He has no defense against it.

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine:" ~Pr 17:22

iu

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 17:

Good Medicine.

Laughter (a merry heart) is very healing to the one with the merry heart, and to all those around the one with the merry heart. Laughter is contagious. I was watching a Youtube video and a woman (standing in a crowded bus) was laughing about something she saw or read on her smart phone. She continued laughing, and slowly but surely others around her began laughing until the entire bus was laughing, and they didn't even know why she was laughing.

Our world DOES need merriment.

It's good medicine. And it's contagious.

How delightful is THAT??!!

Let the healing begin.

iu

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 17:

The joy of the Lord is your strength.

God's joy strengthens us. In a very real and concrete sense it "heals" us, thus the "strengthening" spoken of in Nehemiah. There is fer-real "healing" in the joy of the Lord. There is healing for "us" when we are filled with God's joy, as well as those around us whom we come in contact with, whether online, on the phone, or in person.

"the joy of the LORD is your strength." ~Neh 8:10

iu

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 17:

Bloom.

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: " ~Pro 17:22

A joyful heart exudes "healing joy" where ever God places it. Joy is healing, in that it not only fills the one's heart that God is pouring His joy into, but this same joy overflows with His joy, onto others as well.

Wherever it is that God "plants" us, let us "bloom where we are planted", and share the joy.

Amen?

iu

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 17:

Strife.
AKA: Life is too unpredictable and short.

"Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than an house full of sacrifices with strife." ~Pr 17:1

Strife in a household is toxic. It can literally make one sick and it can destroy entire families.

Grace, mercy, and plenteous forgiveness is the remedy.

God help us to forgive each other and not harbor bitterness, unforgiveness, and unrelenting condemnation.

Amen.

iu

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 17:

Justifying the wicked.

"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!" ~Isa 5:20

iu

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 17:

Sin and Spin.

When Truth is Swallowed Up in Lies.

It is happening now. Truth is being swallowed up in lies and deceit, where what is reported as "news" is "sin and spin" and condemning, lying and accusing the innocent of what the the evil being covered and defended are doing themselves.

It has become a "bedlam" of deceit, where this very verse is being played out before our very eyes:

And this verse:

"He who justifies the wicked, and he who condemns the just, both of them alike are an abomination to the Lord." ~Pr 17:15

iu

Upvote 0