✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 17
Everyone read Chapter 17 if it is the 17th day of the month today. Come back and give us your thoughts....Tishri1 :wave:

Day 17, Proverbs Chapter 17 (July 17)

one for cf posting

He that covereth a transgression seeketh love, but he that repeateth a matter separateth good friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: brinny

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Proverbs 17New International Version (NIV)
17 Better a dry crust with peace and quiet
than a house full of feasting, with strife.

2 A prudent servant will rule over a disgraceful son
and will share the inheritance as one of the family.

3 The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
but the Lord tests the heart.

4 A wicked person listens to deceitful lips;
a liar pays attention to a destructive tongue.

5 Whoever mocks the poor shows contempt for their Maker;
whoever gloats over disaster will not go unpunished.

6 Children’s children are a crown to the aged,
and parents are the pride of their children.

7 Eloquent lips are unsuited to a godless fool—
how much worse lying lips to a ruler!

8 A bribe is seen as a charm by the one who gives it;
they think success will come at every turn.

9 Whoever would foster love covers over an offense,
but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.

10 A rebuke impresses a discerning person
more than a hundred lashes a fool.

11 Evildoers foster rebellion against God;
the messenger of death will be sent against them.

12 Better to meet a bear robbed of her cubs
than a fool bent on folly.

13 Evil will never leave the house
of one who pays back evil for good.

14 Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam;
so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out.

15 Acquitting the guilty and condemning the innocent—
the Lord detests them both.

16 Why should fools have money in hand to buy wisdom,
when they are not able to understand it?

17 A friend loves at all times,
and a brother is born for a time of adversity.

18 One who has no sense shakes hands in pledge
and puts up security for a neighbor.

19 Whoever loves a quarrel loves sin;
whoever builds a high gate invites destruction.

20 One whose heart is corrupt does not prosper;
one whose tongue is perverse falls into trouble.

21 To have a fool for a child brings grief;
there is no joy for the parent of a godless fool.

22 A cheerful heart is good medicine,
but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

23 The wicked accept bribes in secret
to pervert the course of justice.

24 A discerning person keeps wisdom in view,
but a fool’s eyes wander to the ends of the earth.

25 A foolish son brings grief to his father
and bitterness to the mother who bore him.

26 If imposing a fine on the innocent is not good,
surely to flog honest officials is not right.

27 The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint,
and whoever has understanding is even-tempered.

28 Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent,
and discerning if they hold their tongues.

New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi,
Some thoughts and some questions:
Proverbs 17New International Version (NIV)
17 Better a dry crust with peace and quiet
than a house full of feasting, with strife.

[Love goes into food. It is testable. Food cooked with love, is not flat. It, cooked with love is the reason, mom's cooking is best.]

2 A prudent servant will rule over a disgraceful son
and will share the inheritance as one of the family.

[ ]

3 The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
but the Lord tests the heart.

[I wonder how He tests a heart.]

4 A wicked person listens to deceitful lips;
a liar pays attention to a destructive tongue.

[So, it is true, giving up teasing, which is telling a lie to tell a truth, makes a person understand the truth better.]

5 Whoever mocks the poor shows contempt for their Maker;
whoever gloats over disaster will not go unpunished.

[Does not God, bless the poor, as in the rich are sent away empty handed, but the poor are filled with every good thing? Thus mocking the poor is mocking the good things of God.]

[This I have seen. One was glad and rejoiced over his fallen enemy. That is maybe a form of mocking. I saw the man punished, and I say it was God that treated that soldier that way. Never gloat, never mock, never be happy over the pain of your enemy. Instead, wish, bless and pray for God to make them, what they should be, even if it is your job to punish them.]

6 Children’s children are a crown to the aged,
and parents are the pride of their children.

[I can see how I loved my parents when they were pillars, of the community, ethically, not in any other way really. I have no grandchildren, so this truth is unknown to me yet.]

7 Eloquent lips are unsuited to a godless fool—
how much worse lying lips to a ruler!

[God, in the Bible defines one who does not believe in Him, as a fool. Godless fool here, is thus redundant to me.]

[Since by wisdom, and hopefully Wisdom a ruler rules, lying lips cannot have wisdom, nor Wisdom, as that is what the Bible says.]

8 A bribe is seen as a charm by the one who gives it;
they think success will come at every turn.

[ ]

9 Whoever would foster love covers over an offense,
but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.

[ ]

10 A rebuke impresses a discerning person
more than a hundred lashes a fool.

[Ah. I have heard of rebuking a wise person. I have heard of the difficulty in beating a fool, but that it is the only way for a fool to be treated. I have heard of both of these truths, I think in the Bible.]

11 Evildoers foster rebellion against God;
the messenger of death will be sent against them.

[Even, this is true when one throws over a government. And is as God says. In Romans 13:1-5, God says through Paul, that He, God, makes the civilian laws. Thus overthrowing a government, is being in rebellian against God. Maybe Germany, of WWII, is more understandable to me now.]
[Amazingly complex this is. Not doing Romans 13:1-5, is being in opposition to God. Refusing to follow Romans 13:1-5, is being in rebellion against God.]
[So, are all those, who do not follow Romans 13:1-5, or Genesis 1:28 even, are they then evildoers, like even Peter was when called Satan by Jesus, as he was doing his own will, and not God's, as he knew it seems then that Jesus had to die on the cross, but chose instead to oppose that decision?]
[To be in rebellion against God, seems easiest to do, by doing one's own will, rather than God's Will. That is what Peter did. That is what Jesus never did. He only did His Father's will.]

12 Better to meet a bear robbed of her cubs
than a fool bent on folly.

[Wow, there is wisdom to me, plain and simple.]

13 Evil will never leave the house
of one who pays back evil for good.

[Mockers and evil ones, of Proverbs 9:7-8, are that.]

14 Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam;
so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out.

[This I do not understand, as to understand all, causes all arguments to cease, it seems to me. So does one experiment.]

15 Acquitting the guilty and condemning the innocent—
the Lord detests them both.

[ ]

16 Why should fools have money in hand to buy wisdom,
when they are not able to understand it?

[Is this education? Is education in the hands of those who do not believe in God, not give knowledge or understanding of God?]

17 A friend loves at all times,
and a brother is born for a time of adversity.

[Love, Biblically, is doing the will of. Hate is not doing the will of. The only one, that seems to love all of the time, except when punishing, but that is love too, seems to be God. Does this mean God is our friend.]
[Brother here, is one who loves in a time of adversity. Is not that God's way also with us? So, is God our brother, in sense? Does He act as a brother to us.]

18 One who has no sense shakes hands in pledge
and puts up security for a neighbor.

[ ]

19 Whoever loves a quarrel loves sin;
whoever builds a high gate invites destruction.

[ ]

20 One whose heart is corrupt does not prosper;
one whose tongue is perverse falls into trouble.

[ ]

21 To have a fool for a child brings grief;
there is no joy for the parent of a godless fool.

[ ]

22 A cheerful heart is good medicine,
but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

[ ]

23 The wicked accept bribes in secret
to pervert the course of justice.

[ ]

24 A discerning person keeps wisdom in view,
but a fool’s eyes wander to the ends of the earth.

[ ]

25 A foolish son brings grief to his father
and bitterness to the mother who bore him.

[ ]

26 If imposing a fine on the innocent is not good,
surely to flog honest officials is not right.

[ ]

27 The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint,
and whoever has understanding is even-tempered.

[ ]

28 Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent,
and discerning if they hold their tongues.

[ ]

New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Tishri1

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
He who conceals transgression seeks love, but he who harps on a matter alienates the Lord.
טמְכַסֶּה פֶּשַׁע מְבַקֵּשׁ אַהֲבָה וְשֹׁנֶה בְדָבָר מַפְרִיד אַלּוּף:
He who conceals transgression seeks love: If one man sins against another, and the latter conceals it for him, does not remind him of his sin, and does not show him an angry face, he causes him to love him.
but he who harps on a matter: Who bears a grudge and reminds him, “You did such and such a thing to me.” Immediately…
alienates the Lord: Then he alienates the Lord of the world.
This stood out to me because forgiveness is essential to OUR well being, and holding onto bitterness seems to affect us more than the transgressor.
A happy heart enhances one's brilliance, and a broken spirit dries the bones.
כבלֵב שָׂמֵחַ יֵיטִב גֵּהָה וְרוּחַ נְכֵאָה תְּיַבֶּשׁ גָּרֶם:
A happy heart enhances one’s brilliance: Heb. גהה. When a person is satisfied with his lot, his countenance shines.
Our lives can be happy by choice. sometimes its not easy to choose to be happy and rise above what strives to steal our happiness but there is enough research out there suggesting to do that is better than to give into a negative, sorrowful existence. Definitely worth every once of effort to cultivate.

Reactions: makarios
Upvote 0

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He who conceals transgression seeks love, but he who harps on a matter alienates the Lord.
This stood out to me because forgiveness is essential to OUR well being, and holding onto bitterness seems to affect us more than the transgressor.
A happy heart enhances one's brilliance, and a broken spirit dries the bones.
Our lives can be happy by choice. sometimes its not easy to choose to be happy and rise above what strives to steal our happiness but there is enough research out there suggesting to do that is better than to give into a negative, sorrowful existence. Definitely worth every once of effort to cultivate.

Amen. You can feel it too. You know that the flesh wars against the spirit, and after awhile you begin to learn by experience and you know that walking in the spirit is needed. Yet it can be very difficult to forgive at times. Its for that reason that God wants us to not do things in the first place that cause others to stumble. Yes its difficult living in the spirit, but its far more difficult living outside it.

Upvote 0

Tishri1

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Poster 0 I love your name!!!

I agree! Im learning a really important way to relate to folks that helps me avoid it like you said in the first place....I look for things about you that I can promote and that helps me not react or get in the flesh....My focus is on you (others around me) and not on my wants, fears, worries, or needs.
Soooooo :) I like what you said there its very important to forgive, my soul depends on it in fact and Im sooooooo glad to meet others who know this and also appreciate how hard it is....you are totally correct there!Living in the spirit is much better than warring in our flesh thank you sooooo much for reminding us!!

Upvote 0

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Poster 0 I love your name!!!

I agree! Im learning a really important way to relate to folks that helps me avoid it like you said in the first place....I look for things about you that I can promote and that helps me not react or get in the flesh....My focus is on you (others around me) and not on my wants, fears, worries, or needs.
Soooooo :) I like what you said there its very important to forgive, my soul depends on it in fact and Im sooooooo glad to meet others who know this and also appreciate how hard it is....you are totally correct there!Living in the spirit is much better than warring in our flesh thank you sooooo much for reminding us!!

I was just reflecting on what is inside my heart. I struggle with things, as we all do. Thank you for reminding me. I loved the scripture. :)

Upvote 0

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One day I want to start a group here with the sole intention of practicing communication with the intention of walking in the spirit.

Interesting concept. According to how i understand walking in the spirit, let me share how it has shaped my spirituality. This is just how i personally understand it for myself. Learning to walk in the spirit has been very hard for me. At first i didn't even quite understand what it meant exactly. I struggled with the whole law and grace thing. I believe i am walking in the spirit though, although im far from perfect.. I dont perform miracles or anything, but i follow the Lords leading in everyday things, i follow the Word that dwells inside me and guides my decision making. I dont get prophetic visions or anything, i just follow the word that talks about good things like love, humbleness, gentleness, holiness and other such spiritual things. Those are the most valubale of all things. I see a spiritual way of living and a carnal way of living. Spiritual is to look toward heaven not earthly things, and is to put away our carrel side which are things like hate, pride, covetousness, anger and many other fleshy things. I have endured a lot of depression, anxiety and fear as well, and i believe, in my opinion , that learning to let go of worry by letting go of the love for my flesh, has helped me overcome those battles. Im not free from those things but i have found a way of overcoming each battle, one at a time, just as i live one day at a time. To me this is walking in the spirit as well. Its putting off the limitations of this body and this world and practicing things that are spiritual instead.

Sure i have hobbies and i enjoy things in this world, but i think simplicity is spiritual so i keep things simple. I enjoy simple things. I also endure hardship when it comes, and i endure many psychological battles too. I dont allow the hardships of those things draw me away from the path of faith, love and hope. That is spiritual in my opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
i agree about the forgiveness...it's one of the most profound ways that God changes our hearts and minds...it has been difficult if not impossible for me at times, but God's grace prevails...He is a GOOD heavenly Father, a GOOD Shepherd.....

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 17, these verses stood out for me:

verse 5: "Whoso mocketh the poor reproacheth his Maker: and he that is glad at calamities shall not be unpunished."

verse 13: "Whoso rewardeth evil for good, evil shall not depart from his house."

verse 15: "He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both are abomination to the LORD."

In particular, verses 13 and 15.

In verse 13, this is, in essence, saying that to do evil to someone who has done good, essentially brings a curse on the one who has done evil in return to someone who has done good, and for doing this evil, they bring a curse on theirself, and their families, and their households.

In verse 15, it is saying, in essence, that to condemn the just and side with evil against the just , is an abomination to God.

These appear to be warnings to heed, as it specifies what God abhors.

it reminds me of the chains attached to Marley, in A Christmas Carol, that was forged together, link by link as he did one evil deed after the other.

Only thing was, they were not visible while he was alive, yet they were still there, growing ever heavier with each un-kind and cruel deed that he committed, in thought, word, or deed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YESLORDIWILL

Have you not read? 1Sa 20-22, Ps 52
Oct 12, 2012
✟11,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pro 17:9 He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends.14 The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with. 27 He that hath knowledge spareth his words. 28 Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: andhe that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 17:9
I have a habit of speaking positively when someone has a bad day and speaks nothing but negatives. :D

Proverbs 17:27-28
Going back to my childhood, I had done this very thing, but my heart wasn't in the right place. I wanted to talk back and give my parents a piece of my mind lol! But I held my tongue through fear. When I became an adult, the gloves were off and I didn't hold back. Sometimes I really hurt people with what I said and I didn't feel I did anything wrong by it. I realize now that came from a troubled childhood being picked on by everyone including adults. Now it seems God is re-educating me on this since my heart is finally in the right place.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
3 Silver and gold are purified by fire, but God purifies hearts. It takes the heat of trials for the Christian to be purified. God cleans out anything that gets in the way of complete trust in him.

9 Love forgets mistakes; nagging about them parts the best of friends. This applies to marriages too...love keeps its mouth shut, even though it is difficult,

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
:heart: In reading Proverbs 17, well this just about LOOMED out at me...it's one o' me fav'rite verses:

Proverbs 17:22

merry1.jpg

Delightful.

bliss.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0