✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good piece. Truly it is.

Only flaw I saw in it was repudiates politics over Conservatism, yet gets knee deep in politics at the end.

What's missing from his essay is what he would think of a Clinton victory.

He only mentions the good of a Trump defeat for Conservatism but not how a Clinton victory would affect it.

Does he expect Conservatives to hole up in their studies writing about they great days of Buckley, while 7 of 9 justices on the SCOTUS are nominated by another president Clinton?

Don't get me wrong. I agree with what he is saying, especially about young Evangelicals, however he hand waves the inherent dangers of long term liberal entrenchment in our government with a Clinton victory.

Upvote 0

MarkSB

May 5, 2006
✟67,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He did provide his thoughts on a Clinton victory on PBS News Hour:

"Yes, I will say Hillary Clinton wins, there are two scenarios. One, that there’s such a vicious hatred that nothing going to happen. But I happen to think she was mediocre secretary of state, but I thought she was an excellent senator and very good at working around the aisle. McCain, Lindsey Graham, John Barrasso, she was good.

And so, I see possibility whatever is happening out there in the country, I think there will be a — people may check out for a little while because they will be so exhausted, so down, including a lot of Trump people. That she may have an opportunity, at least elite level to be effective in some way if she picks issues that sensible Republicans can sign on to.

And they’re going to want to put a window — or a curtain between what just happened and what they are going forward. So, you could paint an optimistic scenario. So, I’m clinging to that against all odds."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._and_you_will_not_be_fine_after_election.html
I don't see his final paragraph as being overly political - I think his point is that he sees young conservatives who put principle and conscience over politics, and therefore will not support Trump.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He did provide his thoughts on a Clinton victory on PBS News Hour:

"Yes, I will say Hillary Clinton wins, there are two scenarios. One, that there’s such a vicious hatred that nothing going to happen. But I happen to think she was mediocre secretary of state, but I thought she was an excellent senator and very good at working around the aisle. McCain, Lindsey Graham, John Barrasso, she was good.

And so, I see possibility whatever is happening out there in the country, I think there will be a — people may check out for a little while because they will be so exhausted, so down, including a lot of Trump people. That she may have an opportunity, at least elite level to be effective in some way if she picks issues that sensible Republicans can sign on to.

And they’re going to want to put a window — or a curtain between what just happened and what they are going forward. So, you could paint an optimistic scenario. So, I’m clinging to that against all odds."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._and_you_will_not_be_fine_after_election.html
I don't see his final paragraph as being overly political - I think his point is that he sees young conservatives who put principle and conscience over politics, and therefore will not support Trump.

Thanks for the clarification he supports Hillary.

Upvote 0

MarkSB

May 5, 2006
✟67,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
YYeeah.... recognizing strengths in your opponent, and being cautiously optimistic that the parties will find a way to work together should they happen to win = you might as well be a liberal.

Talking points in main stream American politics have become so incredibly predictable, its unbelievable.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
YYeeah.... recognizing strengths in your opponent, and being cautiously optimistic that the parties will find a way to work together should they happen to win = you might as well be a liberal.

Talking points in main stream American politics have become so incredibly predictable, its unbelievable.

Didn't say he was liberal. Said he was supporting Hillary.

Upvote 0

MarkSB

May 5, 2006
✟67,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The old "if you're not for us, you're against us" line is getting thrown around quite a bit by Trump supporters this election season.

If conscience tells me not to vote for a candidate with poor character, then that's the bottom line for me. No amount of politicking is going to convince me otherwise. It doesn't mean that I "support" Hilary or would vote for her - it simply means that there's no way I could vote for Trump in good conscience.

What's really sad is that I think the Republicans had plenty of candidates to choose from who could have beat Hilary, yet they choose Trump.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.