Politics replacing religion in the United States?

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
34 Think not that I came to send peace on the earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
That sword meant to divide. Do guns divide between serving self or serving God as this scripture referred to??

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Got any examples of what that might look like?
And I presume you mean the Judeo-Christian God and no other.
That reminds me. I think another episode of The Handmaid's Tale drops tonight.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think that for some in the U.S., politics has effectively become their religion.
Absolutely, they put their trust in fellow man, the system we have built to serve the world we have made in our own image and then of all things, turn it into a team sport having that too influence our worldly religion, so we may personally go for the cup and claim victory over those outside our respective boundaries (just like church religions do between sects). We are a sorry lot..

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
That sword meant to divide. Do guns divide between serving self or serving God as this scripture referred to??
I just quoted a scripture that I thought was relevant

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Calling ones politics a "religion" is often just a slur, especially when it's used against people advocating for progressive reforms, many of whom take their politics seriously because the underlying issues are indeed serious- things like climate change, structural injustices in society, etc. It's not analogous to arguing the picayune details that traditional religions often argue about.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Calling ones politics a "religion" is often just a slur, especially when it's used against people advocating for progressive reforms, many of whom take their politics seriously because the underlying issues are indeed serious- things like climate change, structural injustices in society, etc. It's not analogous to arguing the picayune details that traditional religions often argue about.

Yes, it often is a slur. Yet it's possible to make anything into a religion. There can even be arguing about picayune details.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No it’s not. But give it a shot. Show how it does.
Laws require specificity. There are easily 20 translations of the books of the Bible, not counting the Catholic. Which one will be codified?

Upvote 0

kdm1984

WELS
Oct 8, 2016
SW MO, USA
✟38,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Laws require specificity. There are easily 20 translations of the books of the Bible, not counting the Catholic. Which one will be codified?

Hammster is Reformed and has Rushdoony quotes in his sig, so I'm guessing he's a Reconstructionist. I came across this sort for the first time in the 2010s when I came to know a Calvinist homeschool conservative family and the kind of milieu they surround themselves in.

R. J. Rushdoony - Wikipedia

Most Christians, even conservative ones, don't follow his views. Very conservative Calvinists are very active online -- they've taken to the Internet the way Pentecostals took to television in the 20th century with Trinity Broadcasting Network, etc. -- but their views and applications tend not to make much of an imprint on actual modern American society, and their numbers are much smaller in the nation, numerically, than their online presence might suggest.

The kinds of conservative Christians who are making more practical inroads in American politics actually tend not to be reconstructionist Calvinists. They're more likely to be non-denom, Arminian Baptist, or Pentecostal sorts who think doomsday is right around the corner. Conservative Calvinists are good at debating online, but they aren't as successful as the other kinds of conservative Christians at pragmatically applying their principles to the real world.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
and their numbers are much smaller in the nation, numerically, than their online presence might suggest.
Good point. That is why so many secular 'fringe' groups and ideologies suddenly seem to have taken over the world.

• Agree
Reactions: kdm1984
Upvote 0