Politics replacing religion in the United States?

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Let's unpack that, shall we?

You've already claimed "don't steal," "don't murder," etc... as Biblical principles, so would it be fair to say that the Ten Commandments, in their entirety, are included under the umbrella of "all Biblical principles"?
Yep.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So you are promoting a Judeo-Christian Nationalism or do you want to amend it to Christian Nationalism based on the entire Bible? I am confused.
I really don’t think you are.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm currently reading "The political seduction of the Church." by Dr. Michael Brown.
(How millions of American Christians have confused politics with the gospel.)
Dr. Brown is an evangelical (charismatic) Christian who votes Republican and
supported Trump twice but is issuing warnings to the Church about how our witness is getting
damaged by aligning with one political party(and leader) and the dangers of wrapping the Cross in the flag.
It's excellent. Every Christian should read this book.
He is very critical of the false prophets of 2020 re the election and Covid who have so far refused to
renounce their false prophecies and admit they were wrong.

Reactions: John Caldwell
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think your post got mixed in with the quote. There are all sorts of obligations. If you drew a Venn diagram, you'd have a circle with secular obligations and another with spiritual obligations, and an intersection point where secular obligations overlap religious. A spiritual obligation to attend a worship service does not mean there isn't also a secular one in some cultures, just as a secular one doesn't mean there isn't also a spiritual one.

Since I don't believe in anything "spiritual" it is not shocking that I don't find the notion of a "spiritual obligation" to have any meaning.

Here in the US, there is dwindling cultural obligation to attend church, but that does not mean it didn't exist.

Now you've introduced a completely new thing called "cultural obligation". I have never been part of a "culture" that required my attendance at a religious service. That was religion that insisted on my attendance. Once I stopped feeling the pull of that religious insistence I stopped going. It has not harmed me or my participation in "the culture".

I can't speak for the spiritual condition of the infamous person I have in mind, but based on what he did after that particular camp meeting, it makes me wonder why he was there.

Now you've posted some random snippet without any reference. (I doubt I am interested, though.)

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,415.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why? And how would partnering with the "principalities" and "powers" of this world create a better world?
We are commanded to love our neighbors as ourselves. And who are our neighbors? Who are today's Samaritans? Perhaps they are the desperately poor congregating at the U.S. border to help their families survive. Perhaps they are our LGBT brothers and sisters, born differently and seeking respect and human kindness. Perhaps they are victims of a climate-change-related flood in a small island in the Pacific, their homes destroyed. Perhaps they are Ukranian refugees escaping a terroristic dictator willing to do anything to destroy them.
And we have our churches. Are they up to the task of helping all these people? If every Christian tithed would we have the clout to do 1% of what's needed in our world?
If our government disappeared, would you turn around and give every penny of your income, property, and sales taxes to your church to help provide for human needs?
Did Jesus tell us to "do what we can" but never to seek help from other entities?
You are free to believe what you wish about that, but I call it a gigantic cop out.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2019
North Augusta
✟53,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We are commanded to love our neighbors as ourselves. And who are our neighbors? Who are today's Samaritans? Perhaps they are the desperately poor congregating at the U.S. border to help their families survive. Perhaps they are our LGBT brothers and sisters, born differently and seeking respect and human kindness. Perhaps they are victims of a climate-change-related flood in a small island in the Pacific, their homes destroyed. Perhaps they are Ukranian refugees escaping a terroristic dictator willing to do anything to destroy them.
And we have our churches. Are they up to the task of helping all these people? If every Christian tithed would we have the clout to do 1% of what's needed in our world?
If our government disappeared, would you turn around and give every penny of your income, property, and sales taxes to your church to help provide for human needs?
Did Jesus tell us to "do what we can" but never to seek help from other entities?
You are free to believe what you wish about that, but I call it a gigantic cop out.
I do believe we are to love our neighbors as ourselves. Christians and churches are failing at this. I just disagree that uniting with the powers of the world is the solution.

This isn't refusing to give unto Caesar what is Ceasars. It is not giving to Caesar what is God's.

I can only speak for US politics. From what I have seen the DNC has no love for Republicans and the GOP has no love for Democrats.

I have never seen the a political party give credit to God for an accomplishment (I have seen them take credit and use those accomplishments as political capitol). I have never witnessed a political party glorify God.

Personally, I view relying on secular politics as a cop out at best, a lack of faith at worse. If churches (as a whole and across denominations) would be active as the Body of Christ rather than political puppets we would see change. But the world would still be the world and evils would still exist.

What I see more and more are churches forfeiting their voices for Christ as they embrace the powers and principalities of this world. I guess I just find it difficult to serve two masters. I definitely will not vote for evil (as have been suggested to me) even if it is a lesser evil.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know you’d rather abandon the Bible and follow unregenerate men instead, but that is not biblical.
Which translation of the Bible do you want this country based on?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m not getting into the gutter with you.
So you are not willing to deal with the inevitable questions your proposition will entail. Ok, thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So you are not willing to deal with the inevitable questions your proposition will entail. Ok, thanks.
No, I’m not going to answer silly questions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
They may seem silly to you because you have not really thought out what you propose.
I actually have. There are still more aspects to look into. But these types of questions are pedantic.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I actually have. There are still more aspects to look into. But these types of questions are pedantic.
Pedantic to ask about Saturday or Sunday Sabbath? The entire nation would be right? Same with all those OT Jewish laws and ordinances. Are they included as "Biblical principles"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Pedantic to ask about Saturday or Sunday Sabbath? The entire nation would be right? Same with all those OT Jewish laws and ordinances. Are they included as "Biblical principles"?
The principle come from the OT.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2019
North Augusta
✟53,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm currently reading "The political seduction of the Church." by Dr. Michael Brown.
(How millions of American Christians have confused politics with the gospel.)
Dr. Brown is an evangelical (charismatic) Christian who votes Republican and
supported Trump twice but is issuing warnings to the Church about how our witness is getting
damaged by aligning with one political party(and leader) and the dangers of wrapping the Cross in the flag.
It's excellent. Every Christian should read this book.
He is very critical of the false prophets of 2020 re the election and Covid who have so far refused to
renounce their false prophecies and admit they were wrong.
I like Brown. I'll have to pick that one up.

It would be nice if they renounce the prophesy that I would be dead within 3 years of my 1st covid shot. I mean, I'm over half way there.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What would a Bible Principle say about gun control?

I don't know. Right or wrong, I think it would be a neutral issue. Just typing that is going to raise hackles. But the bible seems to be silent on some things we think are right and some that we think are wrong. On other issues it's quite clear, but just thinking about the silent issues can came you uneasy. That some things may not be clear cut is illustrated right here, with most of us (I hope) wanting to take a Christian perspective of things, and yet coming to different opinions.

Upvote 0