USA
✟950,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nearly Half of U.S. Adults Say Dating Has Gotten Harder for Most People in the Last 10 Years —Pew Research Center (download report)

Among those who are on the dating market – the 15% of American adults who are single and looking for a committed relationship or casual dates – most say they are dissatisfied with their dating lives and that it has been difficult to find people to date, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted in October 2019.

PSDT_08.19.20_dating.relationships-00-9.jpg

While single-and-looking men and women report equal levels of dissatisfaction with their dating lives and the ease of finding people to date, women are more likely to say they have had some particularly negative experiences.

Women are also more likely to see risk – both physical and emotional – when it comes to dating. When those who say dating has become harder for most people in the last 10 years are asked to describe in their own words why they think this is the case, women are twice as likely as men to cite increased risk.

For their part, men are more likely than women to say technology is a reason dating has gotten harder. Overall, 47% of Americans say dating is now harder than it was 10 years ago, while 19% say it’s easier and 33% say it’s about the same.

PSDT_08.19.20_dating.relationships-00-8.jpg

Singles who are looking for a relationship are generally open to dating people with many different traits and from a variety of backgrounds. When it comes to being in a relationship with someone who lives far away, has a significant amount of debt, or who voted for Donald Trump, however, many of those who are looking for a relationship would hesitate.

A majority of the overall public (65%) says the increased focus on sexual harassment and assault in the last few years has made it harder for men to know how to interact with someone they’re on a date with. About a quarter (24%) say it hasn’t made much difference, and 9% say it has become easier for men to know how to behave.

Men – especially older men – and Republicans are more likely than women and Democrats to say it’s harder for men to know how to act when dating in the era of the #MeToo movement, though majorities across the board express this view. For example, 75% of men ages 50 and older say it is now harder for men to know how to behave on dates, compared with 63% of men younger than 50, 58% of women younger than 50 and 63% of women 50 and older.

PSDT_08.19.20_dating.relationships-00-3.jpg

Daters who had difficulty finding people to date in the past year were asked about some of the possible reasons that might be the case. Among these daters, the most common explanations include the challenge of finding someone who is looking for the same type of relationship (53% say this is a major reason), difficulty in approaching people (46%) and trouble finding someone who meets their expectations (43%).

PSDT_08.19.20_dating.relationships-00-2.jpg

A plurality of those who are married, living with a partner or in a committed romantic relationship say they first met their spouse or partner through friends or family (32%). Smaller shares say they met through work (18%) or school (17%), and still fewer met their partner online (12%).

Overall, three-in-ten adults say they have used an online dating site or app, and a majority (57%) of those users say their experiences with online dating were positive. Most also say it was easy to find people they were physically attracted to and who shared their hobbies and interests.

Online dating isn’t the only way Americans are using the internet to help them navigate the dating scene. About four-in-ten adults (38%) say they have searched for information online about someone they were romantically interested in. This is especially common among young adults: 64% of those younger than age 30 say they have done this.

PSDT_08.19.20_dating.relationships-00-1.jpg

Fully half of single adults say they are not currently looking for a relationship or dates. Among those who are on the dating market, about half are open to either a committed relationship or casual dates.

Single men are far more likely than single women to be looking for a relationship or dates – 61% vs. 38%. This gender gap is especially apparent among older singles.

Among singles who are not looking to date, having more important priorities right now and just enjoying the single life are among the most common reasons cited. Non-daters younger than age 50 are particularly likely to say they have more important priorities at the moment.

Singles Profile

www_pewresearch_org-PSDT_08.19.20_dating.relationships-016.jpg

PSDT_08.19.20_dating.relationships-015.jpg

www_pewresearch_org-PSDT_08.19.20_dating.relationships-012.jpg

PSDT_08.19.20_dating.relationships-011.jpg

PSDT_08.19.20_dating.relationships-013.jpg

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would say dating was always hard. But then I am an introvert, anything with people is hard.

I am not surprised that half of the singles are not looking for dates, I imagine most are working on a their own thing and are not being pressured into dating like in the past.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From what I can gather, for Millennials and Gen-Zers, "date" means "sex without a relationship." For those who have that mindset, the data is strongly skewed compared to those who don't.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say dating was always hard. But then I am an introvert, anything with people is hard.

It was always hard for me, particularly after I joined the military, which put me out of any significant circle of friends who knew local women.

I never got an assignment to RAF Mildenhall, UK, however, where I hear they used to bus civilian women to the base recreation center on Saturday nights....

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

I am not surprised that half of the singles are not looking for dates, I imagine most are working on a their own thing and are not being pressured into dating like in the past.

I think that's the case. I wasn't pressured nor was my daughter.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
From what I can gather, for Millennials and Gen-Zers, "date" means "sex without a relationship." For those who have that mindset, the data is strongly skewed compared to those who don't.

Exactly. I'm an older millennial (39 in September), and I feel like I could have a lot more to choose from or consider as options if I saw dating as a means to sex, rather than as a means to find someone to be committed to. I'm glad I'm at least in a church that sees dating similarly (as route to marriage), even if the dating pool thereby shrinks considerably. Better to have standards and not be in a relationship where you're miserable because you have fundamentally different ideas of what you're even doing together. Been there a few times, got the commemorative t-shirt, no need nor desire to go back for more.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

I dated a millennial and he was bothered by hookup culture. It always existed but the numbers have increased.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟366,942.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
You're cool. You'd probably do well! :D
haha! That's lovely, thank you. I actually feel I'm a bit of a jerk online.

In person, I'm way more pleasant; easy to be with, love, a hugger, that kinda thing. I'm not much to look at for the world but my wife sees my beauty; it's mostly inside. And I'm not convinced online dating allows much for a person like me.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
As a liberal elite rock star I should have no problem dating, right? But I'm kind of an oddball (in a good way, I'm told) and I live in an area where where my attraction to intellectual pursuits doesn't get a lot of validation. Everyone here is so outdoors/athletic oriented. I am too to a degree, but thats not the biggest part of me.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
haha! That's lovely, thank you. I actually feel I'm a bit of a jerk online.

In person, I'm way more pleasant; easy to be with, love, a hugger, that kinda thing. I'm not much to look at for the world but my wife sees my beauty; it's mostly inside. And I'm not convinced online dating allows much for a person like me.

You're outspoken. But that's okay. I don't mind. Your personality comes through. That warrants attention. Whereas someone shy, reserved, or introverted may be more restrained.

You'd get more eyes. Jerk or not. You'll make them laugh, want to respond, etc. That increases engagement. They'll have an easier time getting to know you than someone quiet. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
As a liberal elite rock star I should have no problem dating, right? But I'm kind of an oddball (in a good way, I'm told) and I live in an area where where my attraction to intellectual pursuits doesn't get a lot of validation. Everyone here is so outdoors/athletic oriented. I am too to a degree, but thats not the biggest part of me.

You had me at liberal elite. It rolls off the tongue nicely. :D

An intellectual yoga/pilates girl is more ideal. Fitness matters but it isn't the main event.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You had me at liberal elite. It rolls off the tongue nicely. :D

An intellectual yoga/pilates girl is more ideal. Fitness matters but it isn't the main event.
Thanks, bella!

Yeah I dont at all need a gal whos "hot" in the cultural consensus way. Just fit enough to be healthy and attracted to doing some challenging adventures, without necessarily being an elite athlete.

But as a home office guy who's not right in town, its been really hard to meet people now that covid has shut down so much of my music scene.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
But as a home office guy who's not right in town, its been really hard to meet people now that covid has shut down so much of my music scene.

You're talking to a home office girl. ;)

Find your people. Hashtags are your friend. Look on Instagram, Facebook, etc. for local connections. Use your city, music, music genre, and so on. Look at their profiles. See who they're following, groups they belong to, and hashtags. Check them out and start talking.

Look up the local yoga and pilates studios. See if they're open for business and look at their social media. Members usually follow. Diehards swear by Lululemon. :D

PS. If coffee shops are open drop by in the morning. More traffic. Easy to make small talk.

Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Find your people. Hashtags are your friend. Look on Instagram, Facebook, etc. for local connections. Use your city, music, music genre, and so on. Look at their profiles. See who they're following, groups they belong to, and hashtags. Check them out and start talking.

You recently quite pointedly shut down that option in another thread.

Look up the local yoga and pilates studios. See if they're open for business and look at their social media. Members usually follow. Diehards swear by Lululemon.

Isn't going to a yoga studio just to meet women a deception if a guy doesn't actually do yoga and pilates?

If coffee shops are open drop by in the morning. More traffic. Easy to make small talk.

Sudden cold-talking doesn't work, either, except for guys prepared to endure a hundred cold shoulders for one smile and chat.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
You recently quite pointedly shut down that option in another thread.

The situations aren't identical. The one you're referencing involved 2 people connected as friends on Facebook. He was seeking prospects from her friend list and wanted to reach out. She had a statement on her profile indicating she'd unfriend anyone who did it. If there's a mutual connection, there's no reason to do that. Just ask.

In this instance, there's no connection. He works from home and has limited contact with others due to the pandemic. I told him to find his people. Locals who share his love for music. They're gathering somewhere.

Isn't going to a yoga studio just to meet women a deception if a guy doesn't actually do yoga and pilates?

I didn't tell him to go there or take classes. I said to see if they're open and check their social media.

Sudden cold-talking doesn't work, either, except for guys prepared to endure a hundred cold shoulders for one smile and chat.

He's given no indication he struggles with the opposite sex. Striking up conversations with strangers isn't hard for everyone. Nor does everyone receive cold shoulders. It depends on your presentation, personality, and conversational skills.

Hello is not a slam dunk. It's just hello.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Look up the local yoga and pilates studios. See if they're open for business and look at their social media. Members usually follow. Diehards swear by Lululemon. :D

PS. If coffee shops are open drop by in the morning. More traffic. Easy to make small talk.
Ah, so you know the home office downsides...and upsides. Ive been thinking of moving into town just to have more random people meeting opportunities. I'm only 20 min out, but thats enough to discourage me from going out on a whim.

Also, a great way to meet people is to read a book at the bar, maybe as you eat dinner or just drink a beer. Having that book is like an invitation for people to ask what youre reading - which often leads to a fun conversation. Or if no one chats, well, youve got your great book to read. Thats what Id do if I was back in town again.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ah, so you know the home office downsides...and upsides. Ive been thinking of moving into town just to have more random people meeting opportunities. I'm only 20 min out, but thats enough to discourage me from going out on a whim.

I've been home for 13 years. You're more isolated and don't have the random encounters others experience. That's why I'm in the heart of the city. The energy is better and you'll see people throughout the day. If I was in the suburbs I'd see mothers and retirees. The rest are working.

I go out during the day. Small talk is key. You see the same faces and develop familiarity. I used to take my laptop to Starbucks to get out of the house. We had one that was always crowded. Some people showed up every day and I made a connection. I won't share my lead-in. That's golden!

Also, a great way to meet people is to read a book at the bar, maybe as you eat dinner or just drink a beer. Having that book is like an invitation for people to ask what youre reading - which often leads to a fun conversation. Or if no one chats, well, youve got your great book to read. Thats what Id do if I was back in town again.

I never tried that. I've done it in restaurants when dining alone. Being friendly, smiling, and demonstrating warmth makes a difference. I'm not afraid to initiate a conversation with a man. He doesn't have to like me. But I can't be scared to talk. That comes out in your body language.

Upvote 0