moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's not the issue at hand. For starters, it's incredibly creepy for a father to make a vow to his daughter that he will not view inappropriate contentography, touch or cheat on his wife. That is a vow he should make to his wife, not something he should promise to his child. My father's sex life is none of my business, nor would I feel comfortable with my father professing his love for me by vowing to abstain from masturbation or inappropriate contentography.

Second, the reason why people believe it is sexist is because it is a practice that forces the daughter at an age where she is becoming self-aware to give her body, her sexuality over to her father where he will, in turn, contract it over to her husband on her wedding day. Her body, her sexuality is deemed off-limits to her. It will belong to two men in her life - her father and her husband. And the male counterpart to these Purity Balls asks young men to vow to not "cheapen" another man's "treasure" (with emphasis placed on that "treasure" [implying a young woman's virginity] belonging to her father and future husband). Nothing about how the young man's body belongs to his parents. Nothing about how his sexuality isn't his, but his parents' or future wife's. No, it's about not causing some "daddy's angel" to become damaged goods.

Granted, I understand that no father wants to think about their daughters having sex. That's understandable, much in the same way most of us don't want to think about our parents having sex. The problem is that a father should never ask his daughter to pledge her sexuality to him. That is sick and disturbing on so many levels. It's one thing to tell your daughter that you would prefer that she abstains until marriage and give her reasons why. It's quite another to ask her to dedicate her sexuality as a young woman to her dad. A father should not have that much of an interest in his daughter's sex life or lack thereof. And the fact that these balls are like a mock wedding ceremony (with the nice gowns, feeding each other white frosted cakes and having a "first dance") is really creepy.

I think you said it so much better than I did.

Upvote 0