Cuomo says Trump is 'facilitating' coronavirus, urges him not to be 'a co-conspirator' of COVID-19

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
With a crucial difference - the mortality rate is far lower.

But it's startin' to kick back up! Have you checked the FT tracker lately? This could be noise but I'm not counting on it. Considering that one has to contract the disease before one dies from it, it looks like our most recent batch of chickens are coming home to roost:

itbegins.jpg

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm an American with 3 college degrees and I still have no clue how "college football" is a thing. (You'll be pleased to hear that some of the highest paid people on any given college campus are often the coaches of the football or basketball teams, depending on which the school is a "powerhouse" in...these guys are EXTREMELY powerful and wealthy individuals.)

...that's because we *value* football over learning.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mind explaining it for a poor european that doesn't even understand how "college football" can be a thing in the first place.
The equivalent of rabid soccer (football) rivalries= college football rivalries. Spurrier was doing the “gator chop”, which is a gesture in support if the University of Florida Gators where he was a championship coach. The event was at Knoxville TN home of rival University of TN. Spurrier, interestingly grew up in a small town in northeast TN.

• Informative
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm an American with 3 college degrees and I still have no clue how "college football" is a thing. (You'll be pleased to hear that some of the highest paid people on any given college campus are often the coaches of the football or basketball teams, depending on which the school is a "powerhouse" in...these guys are EXTREMELY powerful and wealthy individuals.)
You might ask the same question about celebrities of any sort. Why is Kim K-West so wealthy? Sports bring revenue and marketing opportunities. It’s just “bidnez” as we say in the South.

Upvote 0

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The equivalent of rabid soccer (football) rivalries= college football rivalries. Spurrier was doing the “gator chop”, which is a gesture in support if the University of Florida Gators where he was a championship coach. The event was at Knoxville TN home of rival University of TN. Spurrier, interestingly grew up in a small town in northeast TN.

In Oregon they finally decided that the annual game between OSU and UofO would NO LONGER be called "the Civil War". LOL.

Apparently this had been a long time in coming. But I'm so new to Oregon that I wasn't aware of this.

Ahhh, Americans and college football. Send our kids to college to learn and rejoice when a small portion of them suffer irreversible long-term brain damage.

Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Oregon they finally decided that the annual game between OSU and UofO would NO LONGER be called "the Civil War". LOL.

Apparently this had been a long time in coming. But I'm so new to Oregon that I wasn't aware of this.

Ahhh, Americans and college football. Send our kids to college to learn and rejoice when a small portion of them suffer irreversible long-term brain damage.
Having played football myself, I’ll remind you that more recent research shows soccer “headers” and domestic violence are also having the same effect.
Having played football myself, I’ll remind you that more recent research shows soccer “headers” and domestic violence are also having the same effect.

• Haha
Reactions: istodolez
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How many people would pay money to watch a college debate?

...not many. I'm more puzzled by how many people will spend an entire week's paycheck to see one college football game.

• Agree
Upvote 0

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You might ask the same question about celebrities of any sort. Why is Kim K-West so wealthy? Sports bring revenue and marketing opportunities. It’s just “bidnez” as we say in the South.

Oh, I fully understand that. College sports often brings in so much money for a university it would almost be fiscally irresponsible for them to get rid of it. Except that the sports-based departments also seem to have this MASSIVE overhead so I'm not sure how much of their wealth trickles over to the losers who can't play football or basketball but come to the university to do that other thing....what's that word? "Learn"? Something like that.

When I was a TA back in grad school it was fun to see how the athletic departments lavished extra effort on the student athletes and we were notified of ways to help ensure the student athletes could get help with making it through the taxing "Rocks for Jocks" intro geology class we taught.

And then I also went to school at another university where the Basketball coach was a local god. Well, not just locally. State-wide. And probably one of the richest men in our college town.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...not many. I'm more puzzled by how many people will spend an entire week's paycheck to see one college football game.
The same reason someone would for a Taylor Swift concert.

Upvote 0

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I have little doubt of that. But as a non-athletic-American it is my sworn duty to make fun of you folks who played football or other college sports. :)

• Haha
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, I fully understand that. College sports often brings in so much money for a university it would almost be fiscally irresponsible for them to get rid of it. Except that the sports-based departments also seem to have this MASSIVE overhead so I'm not sure how much of their wealth trickles over to the losers who can't play football or basketball but come to the university to do that other thing....what's that word? "Learn"? Something like that.

When I was a TA back in grad school it was fun to see how the athletic departments lavished extra effort on the student athletes and we were notified of ways to help ensure the student athletes could get help with making it through the taxing "Rocks for Jocks" intro geology class we taught.

And then I also went to school at another university where the Basketball coach was a local god. Well, not just locally. State-wide. And probably one of the richest men in our college town.
Dang. You went to almost as many colleges as Sarah Palin.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have little doubt of that. But as a non-athletic-American it is my sworn duty to make fun of you folks who played football or other college sports. :)
I live to serve. Excuse me, but I have to go to my neurologist appointment now.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I am somehow more confused than before, but thank you anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Dang. You went to almost as many colleges as Sarah Palin.

3 (3 degrees, unlike Sarah, I actually got a degree from each university I attended).

I realized as I was wrapping up my PhD that I'd spent 11 years in university, almost as much time going from 1st grade to high school graduation.

And I was one of the LUCKY PhD's...I did my PhD in about 3 years (the field I'm in actually has MS as a "terminal degree", ie you can get a good job with just that...so a lot of us did a separate MS rather than just getting one as a "participant trophy" before dropping out of PhD.).

And with each degree I somehow timed them all such that the achievement of said degree mapped almost perfectly to a massive downturn in the employment potential in my field. I was like a PREDICTOR function for mass layoffs in geology from 1986 to 1995.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
3 (3 degrees, unlike Sarah, I actually got a degree from each university I attended).

I realized as I was wrapping up my PhD that I'd spent 11 years in university, almost as much time going from 1st grade to high school graduation.

And I was one of the LUCKY PhD's...I did my PhD in about 3 years (the field I'm in actually has MS as a "terminal degree", ie you can get a good job with just that...so a lot of us did a separate MS rather than just getting one as a "participant trophy" before dropping out of PhD.).

And with each degree I somehow timed them all such that the achievement of said degree mapped almost perfectly to a massive downturn in the employment potential in my field. I was like a PREDICTOR function for mass layoffs in geology from 1986 to 1995.
Kinda like arthritis predicting bad weather.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Mind explaining it for a poor european that doesn't even understand how "college football" can be a thing in the first place.
It all started on November 6, 1869, when my Alma Mater, Rutgers, hosted Princeton (then "The College of New Jersey") for a game of football between the men of the two colleges. Rutgers won 6-4 and "college football", i.e. intercollegiate football, was born. Incidentally, this is also when the idea of "school colors" was born because the Rutgers contingent adopted scarlet as the school color and wore scarlet colored ribbons, clothing, etc. in that first game.

Throughout the decades, football has been a part of most colleges' campus life. Because of this, colleges developed loyal fans from their student bases and growing alumni ranks. To this day there is the notion (oft romanticized) that college football fans are more diehard fans than professional football (NFL) fans because most them are students or alumni of the college or university they support. Add to that the many state universities who garner support from the general citizenry of the state because they feel represented as taxpayers. But the reality is that it is a huge business and has so many fans and so many are diehards because they have a tie to the school - this is why "college football" is so huge and such "a thing" i the US.

Upvote 0