Illinois
✟16,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just bought a Christian Standard Bible (CSB), and as I’m reading it came across the reading John 3:21 “But anyone who lives by the truth comes to the light, so that his works may be shown to be accomplished by God.”

I bolded and underlined by. Most other translations I’ve read say “in” or “in the sight of” rather than “by”.

“In” or “in the sight of” seems a more understandable translation to me, and since it didn’t seem to be the common rendering I was surprised that there was no footnote or other note about the word choice. Does anyone else have any insight?

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
I just bought a Christian Standard Bible (CSB), and as I’m reading it came across the reading John 3:21 “But anyone who lives by the truth comes to the light, so that his works may be shown to be accomplished by God.”

I bolded and underlined by. Most other translations I’ve read say “in” or “in the sight of” rather than “by”.

“In” or “in the sight of” seems a more understandable translation to me, and since it didn’t seem to be the common rendering I was surprised that there was no footnote or other note about the word choice. Does anyone else have any insight?
The Greek word is εν Strong's number 1722 most often translated "in", but at times also translated "by" depending on the context. I'll give you an example:

Mt 12:24 Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, "This fellow does not cast out demons except by <1722> Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons."
Mt 12:27 "And if I cast out demons by <1722> Beelzebub, by <1722> whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges.
Mt 12:28 "But if I cast out demons by <1722> the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you.

Here it seems "by" is the best translation in this context. And that may be also the case with John 3:21.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

I would also embolden the word "accomplish." My Bible (RSV) says, "wrought in." I question the use of the word "accomplish." If I do something good, I agree that it is "wrought in God," because he led me to do it. Still, I am the one who did it.

Upvote 0

Tod64

Aug 26, 2018
Illinois
✟16,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you bcbsr and dreadnought. As I think about your responses, I am seeing a possible interpretation as “with the help of”. I am not sure if I am yet getting what I should out of this passage and your responses, but I am still wondering why the translators didn’t use “in” rather than “by”. I checked back to how this was rendered in the HCSB (before the update and name change to CSB), and the word “by” was used in their previous translation as well.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you bcbsr and dreadnought. As I think about your responses, I am seeing a possible interpretation as “with the help of”. I am not sure if I am yet getting what I should out of this passage and your responses, but I am still wondering why the translators didn’t use “in” rather than “by”. I checked back to how this was rendered in the HCSB (before the update and name change to CSB), and the word “by” was used in their previous translation as well.
The King James Version says, "they are wrought in God."

Upvote 0

Tod64

Aug 26, 2018
Illinois
✟16,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NASB says “having been wrought in God”.

NET says “have been done in God”.

NIV says “has been done in the sight of God”.

ESV says “have been carried out in God”.

“By” (used in the CSB) still strikes me as not as clear as “in”.

Upvote 0