✟260,655.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough -- I'll indent my answers to your questions:

That's it?

• That's it.
The Great Commission doesn't include you?

• Yes it does.
While it's from one of your posts that I learned that term?

• Okay.

And suppose that hell is real, wouldn't you do your utmost to save my - and many others' - soul by finding the unicorn et al.?

• First, I can't save your soul -- only Jesus can.
  • Second, I doubt that 'finding the unicorn, et al.' is going to convert you.
It may have been poorly phrased, to say that you can "save my soul", but you can bring me closer to Christ.
Some time ago, I wrote that since I started to read these forums (I have been lurking some time), I have been more and more disappointed in christians. The arguments they put forward are so shallow, they have so little to iffer. And yes, dad and you are counted in.

Is your faith so shallow that the slightest effort is already too much?

• I don't know what you mean by this. What do you think I've been doing here the past five years?
Pushing people away from christianity, and giving christians a bad name. You might not have done this on purpose, but that's what you have done.

Now what I meant is this: very early christians gave their lives for their religion. Many died the martyr death. In the late 19th century, until the second half, many missionairies gave up a comfortable life in the industrialised world to go preaching "the savages" in Africa or Latin America. They faced a huge lack of comfort, and were often in great danger. (Many nuns have been raped, during the colonial revolts in the sixties.) Nonetheless, they went because they wanted to preach the gospel. Their faith was strong enough to do this. When the logical way to act for you to go look for unicorns or satyrs - in much more comfortable circumstances that the missionairies - you decline. So you are clearly not inclined to sacrifice very much for your faith.
Or is it that, deep in your heart, you know that none of these animals exist?
Ist it, that you don't start to look, just because you know you will find nothing?

Upvote 0
K

knowledgeIsPower

Stroking your ego and posting in counting threads?
I must admit I used to think that all this talk of AV stroking his own ego was just baseless mudslinging but AV's recent attempts to compare himself to biblical figures like Jesus have changed my mind. The guy really does seem to believe he is something special and important. That it is all about him.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pushing people away from christianity, and giving christians a bad name. You might not have done this on purpose, but that's what you have done.
This is too broad a statement for me to give it any weight.

What exactly am I supposed to change? my attitude? my answers?

Are you waiting to like everything about dad and me before you'll consider us effective witnesses?
Now what I meant is this: very early christians gave their lives for their religion. Many died the martyr death.
Okay, so I don't want to be martyred; now what? only martyrs have clout with you?

If so, Jesus should be your Hero, eh?

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I must admit I used to think that all this talk of AV stroking his own ego was just baseless mudslinging but AV's recent attempts to compare himself to biblical figures like Jesus have changed my mind. The guy really does seem to believe he is something special and important. That it is all about him.

Recent? Biblical figures have never meant anything to AV except as a means to prop himself up.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
This is too broad a statement for me to give it any weight.

Truth is truth no matter how much weight you choose to give it.

If you're too proud to see the damage you do to people sincere about their faith, that's your problem.

What exactly am I supposed to change? my attitude? my answers?

Are you waiting to like everything about dad and me before you'll consider us effective witnesses?

Perhaps if you were a little more sincere and a little (ok, a lot) less self-serving and self-glorifying? Perhaps if it was less about you "pwning" evolution and you eating atheists for breakfast and more about Christ?

Just a thought -- dad's a lost cause.

Okay, so I don't want to be martyred; now what? only martyrs have clout with you?

No, martyrs have no clout -- dying's easy; living is the challenge.

If so, Jesus should be your Hero, eh?

Another thing -- stop trying to be clever -- you simply don't have the knack.

Upvote 0

Lion Hearted Man

Eternal Newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
✟11,179.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged

It has become extremely apparent, especially recently, that AV's behavior is extremely self-serving. He worships himself and his "standards", so much to the point where if God literally came down and told him that his standards were wrong, that he still wouldn't change. He'd then quote some verse about false prophets, implying that it is impossible for God to be different than the image AV has of him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And go right back to your self-worship.
I'll say this, you certainly are a reflection of your custom user title.

Of course, you can't reject a person's divinity unless you accuse them of having one first -- then you can reject it and substitute it with your own.

I think that's a little ... ironic ... don't you think?

No one else would notice, as they're too busy looking at me, and so you bask in the very thing you accuse me of doing, and no one is the merrier.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll say this, you certainly are a reflection of your custom user title.

Of course, you can't reject a person's divinity unless you accuse them of having one first -- then you can reject it and substitute it with your own.

I think that's a little ... ironic ... don't you think?

No one else would notice, as they're too busy looking at me, and so you bask in the very thing you accuse me of doing, and no one is the merrier.

:thumbsup:

AV, what did I tell you about trying to be clever? You're a failure -- just accept it.

Now that we see that the Bible has failed you, and you resort to lashing out at other people in vain attempts to improve your own standing.

But fret not, AV -- surely you know my witticism has nothing to do with you -- you have absolutely nothing divine in you to speak of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not if they're comparing themselves to Jesus. :thumbsup:
I don't know if he compares me to Jesus or not; I think more he compares me to me; but I have asked him if he would reject Jesus' divinity and substitute his own, and -- (if I remember his answer right) -- he had to admit he wouldn't.

Either that, or he skated out of answering it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
-- you have absolutely nothing divine in you to speak of.
There's that rejection showing again.

Do you see what you're doing?

You're assigning a divinity to me, then rejecting it and substituting it with your own, then hating me because you see your divinity in me.

That's your way of saying, "I hate myself".

I think that's called projecting or something?

Upvote 0