CRISPR Babies

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
The term "evolve" can be used as I have used it.

I suppose you could use the incorrect term, if you wanted to. If you want to use the correct scientific terminology, use "develop". There is a whole field of biology called "embryonic development".

And I am quite confident one can indeed say that a person "evolves" over their lifetime. Surely you don't think I mean "evolve" in the sense you refer to. The term "evolve" is not restricted in usage to refer to the multi-generational process of evolution a la Richard Dawkins.

When you are discussing biology, you should strive to use the biological definitions.

Again, surely you must realize that my statement was not about fetuses outside the uterus.

The thread is about embryos outside of the uterus.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I suppose you could use the incorrect term, if you wanted to. If you want to use the correct scientific terminology, use "develop". There is a whole field of biology called "embryonic development".
I used the term correctly and demonstrated this through provision of a dictionary definition. The fact that there may be a better term - even one that is more generally used by experts in the field (such as "develop") - does not make my usage incorrect. If I pedantically corrected all the errors in word usage I see in these forums, I would scarcely have time for anything else.

When you are discussing biology, you should strive to use the biological definitions.
My usage was perfectly correct, even if not ideal. A fetus in utero will indeed "evolve" into a human being.

The thread is about embryos outside of the uterus.
I agree that this is what the OP focused on, but I had been addressing broader issues.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I used the term correctly and demonstrated this through provision of a dictionary definition.

That is not the definition of the biological term.

"Evolution is change in the heritable traits of biological populations over successive generations."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

The term you are looking for is development.

"Human development is the process of growing to maturity. In biological terms, this entails growth from a one-celled zygote to an adult human being."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_development_(biology)

My usage was perfectly correct.

No, it isn't. I have a degree in biology. I write papers in biology. I have helped edit chapters in biology textbooks. You are wrong.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is not the definition of the biological term.
I was not using the term in the sense of the definition following:

"Evolution is change in the heritable traits of biological populations over successive generations."

I was using it in the general sense of something that changes gradually over time. And, as such, my usage was correct.

No, it isn't. I have a degree in biology. I write papers in biology. I have helped edit chapters in biology textbooks. You are wrong.
And I am a professional writer. I used the term correctly, and I suggest you know this. The fact that practitioners in the field have adopted the convention of using the word "develop" simply does not make my usage incorrect.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I was not using the term in the sense of the definition following:

Yes, you were. You were using the term "evolution" in the setting of biology. That's what that word means in biology.

And I am a professional writer. I used the term correctly, and I suggest you know this.

You are not a professional writer in the field of biology which is why you don't know that you are wrong.

The fact that practitioners in the field have adopted the convention of using the word "develop" simply does not make my usage incorrect.

When you write in that field, it does make your usage incorrect.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Evolve works for me.

It doesn't work for biologists.

By introducing CRISPR babies, we (or at least the Brits) would soon evolve into a super race.

In this case, you are talking about multiple generations, so that would fit with evolve a bit better. A child growing into an adult is not evolution.

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
It doesn't work for biologists.

In this case, you are talking about multiple generations, so that would fit with evolve a bit better. A child growing into an adult is not evolution.
An evolutionary event always starts with the first mutant with a superior trait.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A child growing into adulthood is a prime example of evolution, since the individual in question is undergoing a qualitative chance is his or her "essence."
Yes, even if some pedant wants to arbitrarily restrict the semantic range of the word "evolve".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
It finishes when that trait is either selected for or against, and that is determined in the mutant's grandchildren.
If it is indeed a superior trait it will naturally be selected.

In 4000 BC in the Garden of Eden, also called Mesopotamia, and the Cradle of Civilization, and the Sanctuary of God, man developed a superior trait or two (like writing and farming), and the first civilized man appeared, exactly when and where the Bible says he did. So don't tell me the Bible does not agree with the last 6000 years of man's evolution. And the 7th and last 1000-year day began in 2001 right on time with the beginning of the Battle of That Great Day of God Almighty (on 9/11 when the Euphrates was dry). The next thing prophesied to happen is that people will both be raised from the dead and live to be a thousand years old. But we are not quite there yet. Then, a thousand years from now, after we (and/or God) destroy the earth, we will be raised from the dead and those judged worthy will go and populate a new earth without any sea (most likely Mars) and will live forever (with God).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
If it is indeed a superior trait it will naturally be selected.

The superiority of the trait is determined by selection, not prior to it.

In 4000 BC in the Garden of Eden, also called Mesopotamia, and the Cradle of Civilization, and the Sanctuary of God, man developed a superior trait or two (like writing and farming),

Those are not heritable genetic traits.

Also, it would be nice to see evidence for these claims about gardens and such.

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
The superiority of the trait is determined by selection, not prior to it.

Those are not heritable genetic traits.

Also, it would be nice to see evidence for these claims about gardens and such.
The evidence is there today. Iraq's "Swamp Arabs" have lived there and farmed the fertile land between the Euphrates and the Tigris for about 6000 years they say.

Upvote 0