Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What about this?

morula.gif

Is that a baby?
I suggest you are perhaps, but certainly less obviously so than "interpreter", effectively begging the question at issue with this image.

Of course, this does not look like a baby. And, of course and as already conceded, this clump of stuff cannot feel pain, think, have awareness etc. But I think it is premature to thereby conclude that the destruction of this entity is not an immoral act. For example, while it is not a baby, it will very likely become a baby if nature is allowed to take its course.

Now please do not misrepresent me: I am not saying that this (what I just pointed out) means that we can conclude it's immoral to destroy this clump. I just think things are more complicated than your post could be read as implying.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see your point and will assume that it is indeed correct to say that, from an information perspective, the cells in the hair brush are indeed equivalent to a fertilized egg. It would be nice, though, to be assured by a qualified expert that this is indeed the case.

However, there is indeed another dimension of the "information" argument that I should have addressed. A fertilized egg is a "blueprint" that is embedded in a physical setting where nutrients are delivered to it and it will indeed very likely develop into a person as long as the mother stays alive and eats and drinks. Obviously not the case for the cells in the hair brush.

So I will think about this for a while - perhaps there is a way to tweak my argument to legitimately differentiate the cell in the hair brush from the cell in the womb. I suggest it is not a priori obvious either way whether a thusly modified argument can be made to work.

The cells in the petri dish also don't have the nutrients, or environment to develop into a person.

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
You are obviously begging the question - you need to make an actual argument as to why such a cluster of cells constitutes a human being - you cannot simply declare this to be true.
I only declare what the scientists declare. It has been declared by most US scientists to be life, and embryo research on viable fetuses is strictly forbidden. It is still being debated in the UK. .

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Of course, this does not look like a baby. And, of course and as already conceded, this clump of stuff cannot feel pain, think, have awareness etc. But I think it is premature to thereby conclude that the destruction of this entity is not an immoral act. For example, while it is not a baby, it will very likely become a baby if nature is allowed to take its course.

Now please do not misrepresent me: I am not saying that this (what I just pointed out) means that we can conclude it's immoral to destroy this clump. I just think things are more complicated than your post could be read as implying.

I don't think it is that complicated when we are talking about embryos at the 8 or 32 cell stage. If people are really worried about these embryos, then they should be FAR more worried about in vitro fertilization since that process produces many of these embryos that are later destroyed. If these scientists are using embryos that were slated to be destroyed, I would say that what they are doing is very moral.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I only declare what the scientists declare. It has been declared by most US scientists to be life, and embryo research on viable fetuses is strictly forbidden. It is still being debated in the UK. .

Genetic modification in humans is what they are really afraid of.

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
I don't think it is that complicated when we are talking about embryos at the 8 or 32 cell stage. If people are really worried about these embryos, then they should be FAR more worried about in vitro fertilization since that process produces many of these embryos that are later destroyed. If these scientists are using embryos that were slated to be destroyed, I would say that what they are doing is very moral.
The UK scientists are not going to use embryos "slated to be destroyed." They are going to use live, viable embyos.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
The UK scientists are not going to use embryos "slated to be destroyed." They are going to use live, viable embyos.

How were the embryos created?

My guess is that they were left over embryos from an in vitro fertilization procedure at a fertility clinic. When the couple finally gets pregnant, any left over embryos are destroyed.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,191.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are other ways of looking at the issue of the morality of destroying embryos than focusing on the question of "when" the fetus becomes a human being. Consider this analogy. Is it immoral for me to saw through a steel bolt that I bought with my own money? Usually not, but if that bolt, for whatever reason, happens to attach a jet engine to a commercial jetliner full of people and ready for take-off, it is, course, profoundly immoral for me to saw through such a bolt.

So we can pose this perfectly legitimate question: Is it morally acceptable to destroy a fetus given that, unless actively interfered with, that fetus will very likely evolve into a human being? This way of framing the problem enlarges the set of relevant considerations to include more than simply the question of when the fetus becomes a person. I have no immediate argument to offer, and I am certain that minds greater than mine have approached this issue from this broader perspective. However, my gut tells me that to interfere with a process that is almost certainly destined to produce a life is probably unethical. Or, at the very least, such interference should only be undertaken for compelling reasons.

This is, I suggest, a much more complex issue than either of the two main camps would want you to believe. It is manifestly silly to suggest that this is simply a matter of a woman's right to choose - clearly there are other considerations than this (since, for example, no one would suggest that a woman has "the right to choose" to kill a week-old baby). And it is equally silly to simply declare that the fertilized egg is a human being and decry abortion on that basis alone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Since woman can get pregnant by embryos. They wouldn't be able to if doctors, if they didn't do research on them in the beginning. Also aren't some places doing stem cell research on embryos.

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
There are other ways of looking at the issue of the morality of destroying embryos than focusing on the question of "when" the fetus becomes a human being. Consider this analogy. Is it immoral for me to saw through a steel bolt that I bought with my own money? Usually not, but if that bolt, for whatever reason, happens to attach a jet engine to a commercial jetliner full of people and ready for take-off, it is, course, profoundly immoral for me to saw through such a bolt.

So we can pose this perfectly legitimate question: Is it morally acceptable to destroy a fetus given that, unless actively interfered with, that fetus will very likely evolve into a human being? This way of framing the problem enlarges the set of relevant considerations to include more than simply the question of when the fetus becomes a person. I have no immediate argument to offer, and I am certain that minds greater than mine have approached this issue from this broader perspective. However, my gut tells me that to interfere with a process that is almost certainly destined to produce a life is probably unethical. Or, at the very least, such interference should only be undertaken for compelling reasons.

This is, I suggest, a much more complex issue than either of the two main camps would want you to believe. It is manifestly silly to suggest that this is simply a matter of a woman's right to choose - clearly there are other considerations than this (since, for example, no one would suggest that a woman has "the right to choose" to kill a week-old baby). And it is equally silly to simply declare that the fertilized egg is a human being and decry abortion on that basis alone.
That's a pretty good argument I guess. But the question is, should the UK doctors be allowed to tinker with viable fetuses? And what should they do with the ones that don't turn out right? (the 95% failure rate, or 9.5 mutants for every one success)?

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,191.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's a pretty good argument I guess. But the question is, should the UK doctors be allowed to tinker with viable fetuses? And what should they do with the ones that don't turn out right? (the 95% failure rate, or 9.5 mutants for every one success)?
I don't know - I think we need more information. I have no objection with "tinkering" that is intended to heal. However, as I suspect you will agree, sometimes proposed therapies have wider implications.

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
Since woman can get pregnant by embryos. They wouldn't be able to if doctors, if they didn't do research on them in the beginning. Also aren't some places doing stem cell research on embryos.
I understand that stem-cell research is only done on "non-viable" fetuses. I'm not sure what the difference between viable and non-viable is, maybe someone on the thread can tell me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I understand that stem-cell research is only done on "non-viable" fetuses. I'm not sure what the difference between viable and non-viable is, maybe someone on the thread can tell me.
When they plan to get rid of embryos them. The embryos aren't used or adopted out get destroyed them. I think at that point they would be considered non-viable fetuses, since they are about to be destroyed. Also the embryos that don't grow would be non-viable.

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
So we can pose this perfectly legitimate question: Is it morally acceptable to destroy a fetus given that, unless actively interfered with, that fetus will very likely evolve into a human being?

First, the correct term is "develop", not evolve. Evolution is what a population of organisms does over several generations. An individual does not evolve during their lifetime.

Second, if left on their own, these embryos (not fetuses) would have made it to about 200 cells and then died since they were not in a uterus.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,191.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First, the correct term is "develop", not evolve. Evolution is what a population of organisms does over several generations. An individual does not evolve during their lifetime.
The term "evolve" can be used as I have used it. And I am quite confident one can indeed say that a person "evolves" over their lifetime. Surely you don't think I mean "evolve" in the sense you refer to. The term "evolve" is not restricted in usage to refer to the multi-generational process of evolution a la Richard Dawkins. From the Cambridge dictionary:

evolve: to change or develop gradually

Does a fetus change or develop gradually into a human being. Obviously it does.

Second, if left on their own, these embryos (not fetuses) would have made it to about 200 cells and then died since they were not in a uterus.
Again, surely you must realize that my statement was not about fetuses outside the uterus.

Upvote 0