United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hello Everyone.

I really need to explain a situation in which I am involved - I had hoped I would not have to come here because this will most likely be the longest post I have ever written. For an hour or more, I searched the Internet for some answers that might help make sense of a real mess - but I could find nothing that could help me. So I need your advice as this is indeed a dark crisis for me, for my husband, for his sister and her husband.

First, let me explain how everything about the crisis revolves around my husband's sister. I'll call her Marla. I've been married to her brother for 27 years, so I have come to know her very well. Here is an honest description of Marla (there is some compare/contrast regarding the two of us included):

She has had my husband (her brother), fix, repair, rebuild, install ... so many things over the years and has always demanded the "sister rate". He never minded as he is a good man with a giving heart.
However, when we bought a new home and needed a place for a few weeks, she charged us rent and told me the first hour we were there that it was costing her money for us to be there because she paid for her own pizza after we had pizza delivered for everyone. She told us on our second night that our TV was too loud and that one of us was snoring. This home they had built one year prior and was set on the side of a mountain - similar to a 3-story luxury cabin with thick wood floors.

As a housewarming gift, I painted her a beautiful painting that I would normally have sold for a few hundred dollars. She hung it in her laundry room.
As a housewarming gift to us, she gave us a small flag for the mailbox.

It isn't monetary value that matters - it is being honestly engaged with the people you say you love and who love you. Her lack of caring for someone who needs her the way she needed them is heartbreaking.

When their mother was dying of cancer, she said she could not come and help care for her because she hated her sister (where mom was living). I took her place and cared for her mother until she died.

When I was recovering at home from having been on life support with a massive infection where I almost died, she came to my home and tossed a pie on my table because she was asked to bring me one, and then she said, "Well, I hope you feel better.", and she left.

When she began to suffer from depression, I would go by her home and take care of her family's laundry and anything else I could do for her to take some of the pressure off of her. I am not tooting my own horn - I am simply making a case for this crisis, and I am a servant at heart and I don't mind that at all. I will continue to be that whenever and wherever God will allow me.

The massive infection left me with a diagnosis of ME, and ME caused me to have 9 major surgeries in the last 10 years. Marla has never once offered to come over and visit with me or help me.

She has recently become completely consumed with anxiety and depression to the point that she spends days in bed. She has been given meds by doctors to treat her symptoms, but she researches all the side effects and finds a reason to only be on the meds for a couple of weeks, then she is coming off them and on to other meds only to repeat the cycle. She became addicted to a couple of meds and ended up in rehab 4 times - each time she refused to go any place that was not expensive and plush - and each time she left after only 2 weeks.

We all have tried over and over to comfort her; to validate her; to motivate her; to help her... even finding a state of the art therapist for her. She cancelled her first appointment and just claims she wants to die because of her anxiety.

She has a housekeeper so she never does house work even though it's just the two of them. She talks about her woes and how others are responsible; but if I were to try to tell her anything - if my story is longer than three sentences, she loses interest, looks away, and speaks to someone else.

My husband and his sister had two brothers that killed themselves 3 years apart. We were all devastated. Now she says she wants to die. She keeps her husband in a state of worry and concern and even fear that if he upsets her, she may go over the edge. So he is her loyal servant and allows her to decide everything - every little thing. My husband agrees she should be handled with kid gloves so as to not push her over the edge with something one of them might say.

I disagree with them and this is why:

Marla was perfectly healthy mentally and physically - we ran a trail together twice a week. They raised 3 kids while both working for the government as investigators. She went to college on and off for years until she could get her Master's degree. They have always had a full life in these regards.

When they became empty-nesters, Marla was no longer the one controlling every aspect of a number of lives. She was left with herself, and we have watched her in a slow spiral of unexplainable anxiety.

I personally see this whole situation different from our husbands. I see a woman who has called all the shots and had a very obedient husband as long as I've known them. She is judgmental of others, self-righteous, and manipulative. She has made every decision regarding her own rehab, and has left rehab just when she detoxed at the two week point - when Cognitive Behavioral Therapy was scheduled to begin. Her husband obediently drove or flew to retrieve her each time she called. She begs for help. She asks us to help her; to pray for her; and she cannot understand why she doesn't feel any different when she is not changing a single thing, and she finds a way to sabotage every opportunity to receive professional help that involves work while she never misses the appointments for meds.

I think she needs someone to stand up to her and tell her, "No! You will not break this appointment. Get yourself in the car, because you aren't going down on my watch." I am the only one who has ever stood up to her, and she respects me for that.

She needs to hear someone (and I would gladly) say, "Marla, you take but you do not give. You pray but then you lay down and wonder why God isn't making you feel happy. You have never given to anyone without expecting something in return. You are disrespectful to your husband when you should show reverence and respect for the man who attends your every whim."

I offered to be the one to speak to her but so far the guys are afraid of hurting her feelings because she might do what their brothers did. Scared it is some kind of genetic thing.

I see a woman who loves being a victim - but here is our victim: she grew up in a home with an alcoholic father and a mother that worked and provided for all of them and was never very physical with her love. That's it in a nutshell. I've heard the family stories for over two decades.
In contrast; I grew up in a home so filled with violence and rage that I was in fear for my life more than once. I was thrown across rooms and into walls. I was hit, beat, and whipped.

From what I see, Marla is like the patient running the asylum. I told my husband that in no way should Marla be making all the decisions about her care. She is indulging in self-pity and being enabled by both her husband and mine, because they are scared to upset her. This woman doesn't want to hurt herself. She uses emotional blackmail to get others to be too scared to push her toward doing the work it will take to become Christ-like. She is taking it to a level of intense crisis because she does not want to face change - change in herself through a lot of behavioral therapy. She knows she faces changes in how she treats others and how she treats herself. She goes to bed and stays there, and she is coddled at every turn.

Please tell me if there is something I am missing here. Marla was never one to display any obvious signs of mental illness - she always had a little depression from time to time as many of us. But she looks for the perfect pill and yet, cancels therapy. Why does her husband not make her get in the car and tell her that because he loves her, he can no longer let her just have her way and that he is making this decision?

Last item and then I am done:
My husband and I have been blessed to see Marla and her husband coming to church. Recently, Marla asked me if she and I could do a Bible study together. Of course we could. I put together two binders with a great Bible study for us. She came the first day and seemed to really enjoy herself. She cancelled the next week and has been in bed claiming she wants to die ever since. The Bible study was about the condition of the heart.

Your advice is much appreciated. Sorry this post is practically a novel.

AK1982

All things ... through HIM who strengthens!
Sep 26, 2019
Netherlands
✟29,012.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So sorry you have to go through all this. God bless both you & your Husband for enduring this ordeal and trying your best to change things for her.

Appears like your H's sister is suffering from something more than just anxiety & depression .. perhaps narcissistic tendencies too. She doesn't want to give up the attention she is getting. But, you cannot underestimate what anxiety and depression does to a person and therefore cannot judge her for that. Most of what you have written are some of the common disturbing attributes of anxiety & depression. Onlookers can find it unreasonable and absolutely ridiculous. But, that is why it is called a disorder.

I feel you should step back a little and stop operating on your own strength to change things for her. Like it was written in:

"Exodus 14:14 - The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still"

The way Israelites fought the battles were varied. Most of the battles were won with faith and dependency on God and not weapons.

Fast & pray for God to intervene and that she experiences the peace God has promised to all of us. Just read the word of God to her in every God given opportunity. Don't explain. Just read out to her! The word of God has miraculous power of healing. Encourage her to read the word herself.

You take the back seat and let God drive her life into healing, meaning and purpose.

Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Sounds like she may have mental illness and/or spiritual problems plus as another said.. narcissism.
People that are all about themselves, that is very self centered often think that everyone is their "slave" and they are king/queen. They tend to want everything for nothing and demand everything while giving nothing.
When they feel like they are no longer the center of attention they may resort to very odd behavior sometimes even criminal even. The best thing to do with people like this is to either be extremely businesslike and firm treat them like a customer more than a friend/relative because you typically cannot afford the expense and stress to treat them otherwise. I've come across people in my family and friends that are like this and I cannot personally deal with them most of the time I'm too easy going and nice and they typically run all over me and I have to get utterly very bitter and angry before I can do anything and when I get that way I feel somewhat guilty and ashamed and have to tell myself that it isn't my fault that I feel this way but rather my fault that I didn't cut ties with a very unhealthy influence in my life.
It is very likely people do not change, only those who they respect can encourage them to change and often as they exhibit narcissism they don't have a lot of respect for anyone that is real, it is mostly faked to get what they want. It may sound rather mean but you may be doing worse to not abandon her for the most part than allowing her to sin against you constantly when your time could be better spent helping people that will affect them in a positive way and also help you in return.

Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure how much of her condition is due to depression and how much is due to a personality disorder as @AK1982 suggested. This is a question you can ask her psychiatrist.

Your best bet is to avoid her. This may be difficult as it seems that you live close by, that your husband is very much involved in her care, and that he may not be agreeable with the idea of ignoring her.

My preference is that she be committed in a mental institution for her own safety before everything else, especially that threatens suicide.

Short of this, all 4 of you need urgent help. Can you get a church pastor or a social worker involved?

Upvote 0

Froggymom101

Jan 29, 2019
Flat Rock
✟10,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh boy! Sounds like you have some real spiritual work on your hands. I can empathize because I have a similar situation with some of my in-laws. My situation though is not nearly as difficult as yours but here is what I have learned. Speak the truth but be sure to say it in love. It sounds like you do love her and so you must speak the truth to all and explain gently and lovingly to all why you say what you say so they can understand. Prayers and Hugs.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus had plenty of people like her, I would say. What did He do? I would say He got away from them and prayed and got blessed with our Father. Then, after He was encouraged and enlightened . . . He did what our Father had Him do.

Among other things, He did not allow wrong people to sidetrack Him. He spent quality time with the ones who wanted Him.

So, make sure you do what helps you and your husband. Share with each other, have quality time :)

And share with the people who help you to walk with God and grow in how to love in your special family relationships. This can help encourage you, and help you be an example to help people who don't know how to love.

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

I can see how managing and controlling people does not work.

In one care situation, the guy I was attending to could create chaos from anything I tried to do for him. He was his main problem. I could be walking in circles, at three in the morning, imagining how to put him in his place and control him; but that did not have me with God and how our Father makes us creative in his peace. So, I would hold out and see how I saw things once I was obeying God in His peace. That worked fine :)

You are her sister, and you are a Jesus person; so you can expect that God considers you to have authority to be able to understand and help her. So, I would say there are things that no one else will be able to tell you and do for her.

So, share with your husband and with ones who minister to you effectively, including from genuine example.

If you want some scripture > feed on 1 Samuel 30, about how tragedy struck David and his men, but what worked was how he got encouraged with God, made sure with God about what to do, then handled things in God's family way . . . not allowing the evil men to decide how he was and how he related with his people.

He did not let the wrong ones spoil how he did things and related with people.

Upvote 0

Brenda Blakely

Apr 26, 2019
Portland
✟29,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds as if this family is being held hostage to the tragedy of lost lives and are living in fear. It also sounds like a spiritual battle is raging. I am going to share something from my devotion time earlier this week. The spirit of Offense may have taken over this family and is holding it captive. If this doesn’t fit just ignore it. But I am praying that it will help.

Our lives are lived on a battlefield where only God can win. But sometimes we die for lack of knowledge. I hope and pray that this helps. But no matter I will be praying for you and your family. Please get help. Here is also a list of numbers you can call for resources/counselor that may help you to know how to handle this. Number four seems to particularly speak to the battle in which you are caught. God is greater than anything that is happening right now. Don’t lose faith. Hold fast to that which is good. God bless you.

Offense-A Spiritual Octopus

Avoid this spiritual predator at all cost!

By Ryan Johnson

Offense!
It’s a word we have either experienced or observed in operation.
It’s a hot topic as more and more individuals are going through battles of being offended.
Whether it is offense over politics, religion, freedom, etc.,

The list is long, and many deal with being offended on some level.
While considering how offense operates, I saw a vision of an octopus.
I saw how offense operates like the arms and the legs of an oct I believe the Lord is detailing how a Spirit of Offense will come against you in 8 different ways.

(1) Mind

Romans 8:5-8

“For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.”

When offense takes root...
the first place it captures is your mind.
If offense can attach itself to your thoughts...
it owns your ability to process understanding.
The moment offense attaches itself to your mind...
the ability to have clarity and peace is diminished...
as everything now feeds every thought that is only directed at the hurt through offense.

(2) Sight/Vision

Proverbs 29:18 (KJV)
"Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he."

The problem now becomes what you are seeing, versus what’s not actually there.
Once offense attaches itself to your vision...
you now become bombarded by everything you see.
You begin to see things as though they are something that they are not.
Every action is something you see as a direct attack against you.
Offense shifts your vision from fulfilling your purpose into an opposition against everyone.
You’re now unable to recognize what God is doing as you’re devoted to see what is being done to you.

(3) Heart

Proverbs 6:16-19

“There are six things which the Lord hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood, A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that run rapidly to evil, A false witness who utters lies, And one who spreads strife among brothers.”

This is a very dangerous place to find yourself.
The moment offense attaches itself to your heart...
every single thing you do becomes toxic.
Your heart becomes so infected that your actions become destructive to those around you.

(4) Relationships

Proverbs 17:9

“Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends.”

This has to be one of the saddest things to witness as offense attaches itself to your relationships.
Offense will eventually put a wedge between you and your family or friends.
Your relationships will change over time as you search out certain people to side with you and against the one who is now your enemy.
Offense will transform friends into enemies because they didn’t see it your way.

(5) Hearing

1 Peter 1:19-20

“This you know, my beloved brethren.
But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.”

Offense will attack your ear gate!
A spirit of offense will attach itself and affect both natural and spiritual hearing.
Naturally, we will begin to hear what others are saying and process those things to be slanderous towards us.
More dangerously is when your ability to hear what the Lord is saying is affected.
Your spiritual ear will become more tuned to the lies, manipulation, and deception of the enemy.

(6) Body/health

Proverbs 16:24

“Pleasant words are a honeycomb, Sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.”

Many don’t like to talk about it...
But the truth is...
Offense will begin to become a natural issue in your body.
The Negative
Thoughts
Bitterness
Unforgiveness
Rage
Frustration
And the like eventually take a toll on your physical health.

(7) Time

Ephesians 6:2-3

“Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth.”

Everything mom and dad did wrong in your life...
Whether it is fact or perception....
You attach the offense from them to everyone around you...

When offense attaches itself to you...
Your time becomes consumed with proving others wrong and you right.
You become consumed with payback or restitution to what was done to you.
Instead of being about the Father’s business, your number one priority is you.

Therefore your time is now robbed from your own offense.

(8) Finances

Ecclesiastes 2:26

“God gives wisdom, knowledge, and joy to those who please him. But if a sinner becomes wealthy, God takes the wealth away and gives it to those who please him. This, too, is meaningless—like chasing the wind.”

Part of the lack you will experience when it comes to finances can be rooted to a spirit of offense.
When offense attaches itself to you...
You soon welcome bitterness towards others in ministry...
Including leadership.

When that offense digs deep, you will begin to withhold your finances from what you once supported.
Truth is...
Offense attacks your finances and not the finances of those who are pleasing God.

A Spirit of Offense has but one purpose:

TO DESTROY YOU!

Guard your heart...
your mind
And keep your spirit devoted to The Father.

When offense comes knocking, and it will, walk out what the Bible declares.

Upvote 0

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟226,907.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Elliewaves. You have a long scorecard and are obviously resentful. That's understandable, but that won't get you anywhere.

Your husbands are engaging in codependency with Marla, and are clearly fearful of feeling responsible if she acts on her threats. Unfortunately, people who allow themselves to be held emotionally hostage rarely change their minds. And Marla has them right where she wants them.

You want to confront her, but I'm guessing you've already done that several times with no effect. Narcissistic manipulators will not listen. I believe it will be an exercise in futility.

In your shoes, I would disengage, and stop trying to help her. She clearly doesn't want help, she wants to manipulate. Your husbands will continue to coddle her, but that is their problem. I've known many people like Marla, and I believe that once you've done all you can for her, it's time to shake the dust off your shoes.

• Agree
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So, what does God in His word have to say about all of what you've described? Will "Marla" really be helped by us all diagnosing her psychology? A change of heart and mind of the sort "Marla" appears to require won't, I think, be found in mere psychiatry, but in a right relationship with her Maker. In Christ, the Bible says, we find peace, and joy, and inner stability. (John 10:9-10; John 14:6; Matthew 11:28-29)

As are we all, "Marla" is a desperately wicked sinner. (Jeremiah 17:9; Romans 3:23) Until she comes to grips with this fact and submits herself to God for remediation, she will never successfully deal with the root of what makes her selfish, and controlling, and now anxious.

My own Mom is much as you describe "Marla" to be: narcissistic, ill-tempered, lazy, fearful. Over many years, my Mom's been psycho-analyzed and prescribed drugs, but she is more fearful, more nasty - especially toward her husband - than she's ever been. Much of the problem is that she grew up in the Christian faith, and her long familiarity with it has made her contemptuous of it, habituated to merely giving lip-service to God and His truths.

I think at the bottom of all my Mom's - and possibly "Marla's" issues, too - is a profound fear of loss. It has made my Mom pathologically focused on control. It is an illusion, of course, the control she attempts to exert upon her world, but it keeps at bay the fear of loss, the pain of loss, that she is trying so hard to avoid. The sad irony is that the more my Mom tries to bring things under her control, the more they spin out of it - which further spikes her anxiety. It's a vicious, unending cycle, that God would break if she would only come to know and trust deeply His awesome love for her (1 John 4:16-19) and yield herself day-by-day to His will and way (Romans 6:13; Romans 6:22; Romans 12:1). I think this is true also for "Marla" - and all who are mired in selfishness, fear and sin.

2 Peter 1:2-4
2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3 According as his divine power has given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who has called us to glory and virtue:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these you might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi, don't speak harshly to her, all your conversations with her should be as gentle as possible. Seems like she has lost the will to live, i don't think she's acting, these are real feelings and if her two brothers committed suicide then there is something at play within their family.

I think your husband and hers are doing the right thing for now, you should pray for her as often as you can and please get others involved in praying for her as well. God bless

Upvote 0