Nov 12, 2008
✟239,872.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
When you consider the conditions that are necessary to support the existence of life and which are present on earth. When you consider the incredible intricacy of our design and how it all somehow comes together to support intelligent creatures like yourself then surely the logical conclusion is that you yourself are better explained as a miracle than an accident.
That is not a logical conclusion.
  • It is an argument from incredulity - illogical
  • It posits a solution (a miracle) for which there is nosound scientific evidence - illogical
  • It ignores the data from multiple fields that support evolution - disregarding extensive data tha leads to the same conclusion is illogical

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,661.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is not a logical conclusion.
  • It is an argument from incredulity - illogical
  • It posits a solution (a miracle) for which there is nosound scientific evidence - illogical
  • It ignores the data from multiple fields that support evolution - disregarding extensive data tha leads to the same conclusion is illogical

There is no demonstrable evidence for macro evolution so it should not be cited as a scientific theory. A single observable miracle today overthrows the uniformitarian assumption that underlies the speculation that observable microevolutionary changes prove a broader macroevolutionary theory because given a massive assumed timescale these observable changes may result in the broader changes proposed. The reality is the broader theory cannot be demonstrated scientifically but rather only by a process of analogous reasoning based on what can be proven. The problem is not that a consistent approach across multiple fields leads to similar conclusions but rather that all these disciplines make the same uniformitarian assumption about the evidence observed. This is an assumption that does not survive a single miracle let alone unobserved or non analogous crucial catastrophes that introduce variables not even considered. It is not an argument from incredulity on my part because I know miracles happen. It is an argument from incredulity on the part of a scientist who proposes this however because they posit something they cannot prove (ie macroevolution) on the basis of incredulity about Christian claims about miracles (which often have hundreds of witnesses).

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
When you consider the conditions that are necessary to support the existence of life and which are present on earth. When you consider the incredible intricacy of our design and how it all somehow comes together to support intelligent creatures like yourself then surely the logical conclusion is that you yourself are better explained as a miracle than an accident.
Nah, because I don't think we have enough data to actually determine how common life is or how easily it can form. It's entirely possible that every planet with suitable conditions will eventually have life develop, given enough time.

If science cannot prove its conclusions it is not science.
Science doesn't prove (note that the academic definition of proof is different from its common use), proof only exists for math.

I see layers of rock which. I believe were formed over a year of unanalogous churning and upheaval which I associate with a global flood.
Since we know what rock layers laid down by floods look like, we can tell that a large portion of the rock layers that contain fossils were not laid down by floods.

I see fossils of fish giving birth or eating each other which would happen if rock layers formed rapidly.
Ooo, have any pictures of the birth one? I've seen plenty of the ones for eating, but not for giving birth. However, ever consider the fact that not every fossil organism was buried the same way, or that you may be misunderstanding the circumstances of death? That large fish could have choked to death after killing the one it was trying to swallow, and then been buried more gradually.

It is simply not clear to say that these geological layers were formed over millions of years. It is unscientific to assert this also.
Radioactive dating is extremely accurate, and for reasons of decay rates and the distribution of radioactive materials, it would make absolutely no sense for anything to date older than it actually is, or for rock layers that formed at the same time to date differently (let alone fossils that formed at the same time as each other to date differently).

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,661.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nah, because I don't think we have enough data to actually determine how common life is or how easily it can form. It's entirely possible that every planet with suitable conditions will eventually have life develop, given enough time.

Speculation that has never been verified.

Science doesn't prove (note that the academic definition of proof is different from its common use), proof only exists for math.

Peer review requires repeatable experiments to demonstrate the validity of scientific conclusions. There are no repeatable experiments that can demonstrate flood denial or macro evolution.

Since we know what rock layers laid down by floods look like, we can tell that a large portion of the rock layers that contain fossils were not laid down by floods.

This was no ordinary flood but again you wish to explain by analogy.

Ooo, have any pictures of the birth one? I've seen plenty of the ones for eating, but not for giving birth. However, ever consider the fact that not every fossil organism was buried the same way, or that you may be misunderstanding the circumstances of death? That large fish could have choked to death after killing the one it was trying to swallow, and then been buried more gradually.

Fossils always form in sedimentary rock e.g flood conditions. A fossil of a fish giving birth or being eaten indicates rapid formation. A fish fossil cannot form gradually as these things would be pecked to pieces and eaten long before they reached the bottom.

Radioactive dating is extremely accurate, and for reasons of decay rates and the distribution of radioactive materials, it would make absolutely no sense for anything to date older than it actually is, or for rock layers that formed at the same time to date differently (let alone fossils that formed at the same time as each other to date differently).

You cannot say that. You have no idea how accurate they are. You cannot assume that for example that the age of a rock requires 100% parent isotope in the original sample decaying at an observable rate to the current % of daughter isotope. The original rock may have had a mix in it. You cannot rule out leekage. Also the flood story is a supernatural intervention and a deathly judgment. The breath of death effectively destroyed an eco system capable of supporting human life spans of a 1000 years reducing life expectancy to less than a tenth of that. An earth designed to support life indefinitely was prematurely aged and its delicate balance ripped apart. An immense diversity of life was destroyed forever, waters surged out from the depths of the earth and water vapour in vast quantities was removed from the sky. There is no analogy to such a supernatural catastrophic global event.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If science cannot prove its conclusions it is not science.

No, there is no such thing as proof in science and nothing in science is ever proven.
Common misconceptions about science I: “Scientific proof”

I see layers of rock which. I believe were formed over a year of unanalogous churning and upheaval which I associate with a global flood.

Geology isn't based on beliefs and there are many layers that simply could not have been formed in the flood such as ash, paleosols, eolian deposits, shale, limestone and subaerial igneous deposits.

I see fossils of fish giving birth or eating each other which would happen if rock layers formed rapidly.

Fish aren't viviparous. You're thinking of an Ichthyosaur. And you don't have to have rapid sedimentation in order for a fossil to form. If a fish or marine reptile dies in an anoxic zone they will sink to the bottom and there won't even be bacteria to effect the body.

It is simply not clear to say that these geological layers were formed over millions of years. It is unscientific to assert this also.

Actually the math and physics of limestone formation says it didn't happen in a single year, much less in 10,000 years.
--------------------
Limestone – the heat problem

There's around 1.2x10^8 cubic miles of limestone in the Earth's Crust According to a paper by Poldervaart (1955), calcite releases about 11,290 joules/gram (Weast, 1974, p. D 63). Using Stefan-Boltzmann Black Body Radiation Model, compressing down all this limestone formation into the last 10,000 years would release 5.308x10^23 of BTU, which is nearly 1.5 times the amount of energy the Sun radiates in one second, setting fire to the planet. The earth would not have an atmosphere..

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,661.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, there is no such thing as proof in science and nothing in science is ever proven.
Common misconceptions about science I: “Scientific proof”

Yeh right- so it cannot be demonstrated that the earth is spherical or goes round the sun! This can in fact be demonstrated while macroevolution cannot.

Geology isn't based on beliefs and there are many layers that simply could not have been formed in the flood such as ash, paleosols, eolian deposits, shale, limestone and subaerial igneous deposits.

The biblical account allows for massive seismic upheaval ( so not just flood here) and describes a supernatural event in which energy levels could be infinite and yet contained. The earth could have been created with some of these elements in place also.

Fish aren't viviparous. You're thinking of an Ichthyosaur.

Technically correct though they look like fish to me.

And you don't have to have rapid sedimentation in order for a fossil to form. If a fish or marine reptile dies in an anoxic zone they will sink to the bottom and there won't even be bacteria to effect the body.

A dynamic modelling of anoxic zones could be included in the flood account and indeed logically such disruptions probably did occur and may have contributed to parts of the fossil record. In these cases fossils survive cause everything in that zone dies. Normally a fish that dies is pecked to pieces long before its carcass reaches the bottom.

Actually the math and physics of limestone formation says it didn't happen in a single year, much less in 10,000 years.
--------------------
Limestone – the heat problem

There's around 1.2x10^8 cubic miles of limestone in the Earth's Crust According to a paper by Poldervaart (1955), calcite releases about 11,290 joules/gram (Weast, 1974, p. D 63). Using Stefan-Boltzmann Black Body Radiation Model, compressing down all this limestone formation into the last 10,000 years would release 5.308x10^23 of BTU, which is nearly 1.5 times the amount of energy the Sun radiates in one second, setting fire to the planet. The earth would not have an atmosphere..

Much of this energy may have been released by the seismic upheavals described in the biblical account under 3000m of water. So setting fire to the planet might have been difficult. But also the calculations assume a lack of supernatural intervention. Almighty God can contain infinite energy within the parameters he sets to achieve His purpose. The volumes of limestone are testiment to the richness of life that was lost as a result of the flood judgment and the massive power of that judgment.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Speculation that has never been verified.
I was simply stating that all claims about how common or uncommon life is happen to be speculative. Creationists can't claim it is so uncommon as to be hugely statistically improbable, and atheists like myself can't claim that it is so common as to be inevitable.

Peer review requires repeatable experiments to demonstrate the validity of scientific conclusions. There are no repeatable experiments that can demonstrate flood denial or macro evolution.
Plenty with bacteria, as well as one with lizards and an isolated island of birds... and the fact that macro evolution is just micro evolution over many generations. I'll link you to as many evolution experiments as you want, as long as you will actually read them.

This was no ordinary flood but again you wish to explain by analogy.
The flood "not being ordinary" shouldn't make the lower layers significantly less radioactive than the upper layers.

Fossils always form in sedimentary rock e.g flood conditions. A fossil of a fish giving birth or being eaten indicates rapid formation. A fish fossil cannot form gradually as these things would be pecked to pieces and eaten long before they reached the bottom.
Who said every fossil formed the same way? Why couldn't some have formed as the result of local floods and mudslides, and some have a more gradual formation. Also, I still want a picture of the fish giving birth fossil, because that sounds aweso-wait, don't most fish lay eggs? I found this one of an Ichthyosaur giving birth, but they were marine reptiles, not fish https://sixdays.org/articles/publications/Fossils Ichthyosaur Giving Birth_t.jpg

You cannot say that. You have no idea how accurate they are. You cannot assume that for example that the age of a rock requires 100% parent isotope in the original sample decaying at an observable rate to the current % of daughter isotope.
You know that even if this was a valid contention, it still wouldn't make sense for all the organisms in the same layer to date the same, incorrect date. The dates derived are too consistent.

However, since I actually know why fossil organisms are radioactive, I can tell you that this isn't a valid contention, for one reason you can't avoid no matter how much you want to. Radioactive elements tend to be heavy; in flood conditions in which there were sediments, some radioactive and others not, the radioactive ones would have sunk to the bottom first, making the lowest layer DATE AS IF IT WERE THE YOUNGEST if all of these rock layers were laid down at the same time. The power of the flood would be irrelevant; once the sediments began to settle, inevitably, the densest ones would settle farther down than the lighter ones. I am referring to uranium dating, of course, and not carbon 14 dating.

The original rock may have had a mix in it. You cannot rule out leekage.
This would make the rocks date younger than they actually are, not older.

Also the flood story is a supernatural intervention and a deathly judgment. The breath of death effectively destroyed an eco system capable of supporting human life spans of a 1000 years reducing life expectancy to less than a tenth of that. An earth designed to support life indefinitely was prematurely aged and its delicate balance ripped apart.
How life forms age and how radioactive elements age are different things, and to fast forward radioactive decay would have left the planet a radioactive wasteland.

An immense diversity of life was destroyed forever, waters surged out from the depths of the earth and water vapour in vast quantities was removed from the sky. There is no analogy to such a supernatural catastrophic global event.
Not enough water on this planet for such a flood, and water doesn't just leave the planet because flood. The bible never says any water left, only that it receded.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,273.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed

Do you know how thick some of these 'layers of rock' are? For example, do you know the maximum thickness of the Cretaceous and the Carboniferous systems? Do you know how thick the Belt Supergroup of the Rocky Mountains is? If you do know, do you really think that such great thicknesses of rock could have been deposited in a single year?

Can you show me a photograph of fossil fish in the rocks of the Belt Supergroup? I shall be most interested if you can.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,661.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was simply stating that all claims about how common or uncommon life is happen to be speculative. Creationists can't claim it is so uncommon as to be hugely statistically improbable, and atheists like myself can't claim that it is so common as to be inevitable.

Yes I think science has next to nothing to say about origins. Quoting creation science questions for me is simply to point out there is not unanimity on how the scientists speculate about this question.

Plenty with bacteria, as well as one with lizards and an isolated island of birds... and the fact that macro evolution is just micro evolution over many generations. I'll link you to as many evolution experiments as you want, as long as you will actually read them.

I believe that micro evolution is demonstrable but is not the same thing as macroevolution. There were not 43 species of sparrow on the ark but no sparrow ever evolved into a swan or an eagle. The flexibility of Gods design is demonstrated by microevolution within a type.

The flood "not being ordinary" shouldn't make the lower layers significantly less radioactive than the upper layers.

Again that is just speculation since you have no idea how this unanalogous event worked out in practice.

Who said every fossil formed the same way? Why couldn't some have formed as the result of local floods and mudslides, and some have a more gradual formation. Also, I still want a picture of the fish giving birth fossil, because that sounds aweso-wait, don't most fish lay eggs? I found this one of an Ichthyosaur giving birth, but they were marine reptiles, not fish https://sixdays.org/articles/publications/Fossils Ichthyosaur Giving Birth_t.jpg

Stunning fossils: Mother giving birth

There could well be a variety of ways within a catastrophist model in which fossils would form. As previously posted anoxic zones generated by the turmoil of the flood could well complement rapid burials.

You know that even if this was a valid contention, it still wouldn't make sense for all the organisms in the same layer to date the same, incorrect date. The dates derived are too consistent.

Why if they were all deposited at the same time by the same global event? The question from your point of view is surely why I think all these layers formed in so short a time span and why certain types of fossil seem to congregate in one layer as opposed to another. The answer to that being no one knows and yes I can live with that rather than having to fill the void with empty rationalisations based on analogies with things that are demonstrable like macroevolutionists do.

However, since I actually know why fossil organisms are radioactive, I can tell you that this isn't a valid contention, for one reason you can't avoid no matter how much you want to. Radioactive elements tend to be heavy; in flood conditions in which there were sediments, some radioactive and others not, the radioactive ones would have sunk to the bottom first, making the lowest layer DATE AS IF IT WERE THE YOUNGEST if all of these rock layers were laid down at the same time. The power of the flood would be irrelevant; once the sediments began to settle, inevitably, the densest ones would settle farther down than the lighter ones. I am referring to uranium dating, of course, and not carbon 14 dating.

Not sure you are really reading what I am writing and you seem ignorant of the biblical account. There was torrential rain from the skies, the deeps opened up and water came up from beneath the earth, the flood waters rose and rose to cover the whole earth, which would have completely destroyed the weighting of all the tectonic plates and caused world wide earthquakes, tsunamis etc of unimaginable power. In fact the biggest miracle here is that the ark indeed life itself survived such a catastrophe. So stuff was coming up as well as falling down, stuff was moving sideways at hundreds/thousands of miles an hour in currents of unprecedented power. Whatever was there before would have been stripmined out by such a flood. Also it is disingenuous of you to suggest that radioactivity at the different levels is uniform there is considerable diversity in the reading of the fossils. Because the half life of carbon will only give you dates to about 50000 years you will need the half lives of heavier elements at the deepest level with the oldest fossils. Again you have no idea how inputs in and out the samples you study worked out in practice. You have no idea how much radioactivity was originally present, or indeed how much was a direct result of the unique conditions of the flood. I would expect higher levels to be more radioactive for a biblical reason. Because God stripped away the water vapour canopy that previously protected the earth from cosmic radiation. I would also expect smaller organisms to be the first to perish in these new conditions of greater levels of radiation and then to be followed by larger more resilient, older or more established organisms which fits the fossil record. Most of marine life afterall lives towards the surface and near the sun. If the small stuff died first in the turmoil and new levels of radioactivity then it will be these that appear at the lowest levels of the rocks that formed so rapidly beneath the surface. But I say this only to suggest that an alternative to the conventional "wisdom" is possible and without the ridiculous timescales that "wisdom" requires not to posit a theory of how the flood went. Fact is no one knows we can only look at the results and then speculate from there. That mainstream science does this without reference to what has been revealed is why it seems so foolish to me.

How life forms age and how radioactive elements age are different things, and to fast forward radioactive decay would have left the planet a radioactive wasteland.

It was left a wasteland and deliberately so. Creationists like myself believe that most of life was destroyed by it. what we have now is a faint echo of what there was before the flood. That we are more exposed to radiation from the sun and that the earth as it was has been wiped out and buried is only evidence of the terrible magnitude of Gods judgment on us. That scientists today repeat the sins of Noahs generation by carrying on their investigations without reference to their primary cause is a mark of the foolishness of our times.

Not enough water on this planet for such a flood, and water doesn't just leave the planet because flood. The bible never says any water left, only that it receded.

With a shallower sea this is possible. A flood of these dimensions would completely reconfigure the planet.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,661.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you know how thick some of these 'layers of rock' are? For example, do you know the maximum thickness of the Cretaceous and the Carboniferous systems? Do you know how thick the Belt Supergroup of the Rocky Mountains is? If you do know, do you really think that such great thicknesses of rock could have been deposited in a single year?

I believe in the God that created the stars and galaxies so why would the thickness of a pile of rocks threaten my view of what was possible!!!? It is possible that the Rockies are older than the flood and the global tsunamis that circled the earth during the flood came up against a sub aqua barrier or surging there which resulted in thicker deposits of the sediment they carried. Rocks can form rapidly today. In the unique circumstances of the flood we have no idea what was possible.

Can you show me a photograph of fossil fish in the rocks of the Belt Supergroup? I shall be most interested if you can.

No but that proves nothing except that more complex fossils did not survive in that deposit which was made up of fine grained sedimentary rocks. I believe you find things like algae fossils there but precious little else. This is a layer of rock which if formed from previous creatures and rocks gives next to no clues as to what they might have been. So you get limestone deposits there but the identity of the marine creatures that formed them has been utterly shredded except at the most basic levels.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes I think science has next to nothing to say about origins. Quoting creation science questions for me is simply to point out there is not unanimity on how the scientists speculate about this question.
That's fine, and speculation is fine as long as everyone recognizes it as such.

I believe that micro evolution is demonstrable but is not the same thing as macroevolution.
The only difference between the two is time scale.

There were not 43 species of sparrow on the ark but no sparrow ever evolved into a swan or an eagle. The flexibility of Gods design is demonstrated by microevolution within a type.
That argument kinda assumes that biblical flood happened, doesn't it? Also, I am not claiming that a swan evolved into an eagle, though they do share a common ancestor.
Also, show the limit of how different an organism can become via microevolution, then. It should be easy.

Again that is just speculation since you have no idea how this unanalogous event worked out in practice.
Give a reason actually in the bible for the difference in radiation... oh wait, the bible never mentions radiation or rock layers laid down by the flood, does it.

You are taking advantage of the idea that this event in no way has to be realistic as an excuse for why actual observations don't fit with it. So why don't you just say "I know the evidence doesn't seem to fit with the biblical account, but I believe anyway"? You might as well, considering that you shot yourself in the foot by manipulating the situation such that evidence for your position and evidence against it would be indistinguishable to you. That is, if the biblical flood wouldn't have left behind any normal evidence of a flood, that not only says that there isn't clear evidence that the flood happened, but that the very nature of the event prevents it from leaving behind clear evidence. That's quite an unscientific way of going about things, but feel free to keep at your evidence-less position if you want.

Stunning fossils: Mother giving birth
There could well be a variety of ways within a catastrophist model in which fossils would form. As previously posted anoxic zones generated by the turmoil of the flood could well complement rapid burials.
Sure... but you need to demonstrate that all of these fossils were buried the same way. It doesn't matter that some fossils obviously need rapid burial to form, because my position doesn't deny that possibility at all. Your position, on the other hand, makes it a necessity for all fossils you think formed due to the flood... which becomes a huge problem when they demonstrably didn't form that way. For example, the mosquitoes preserved in amber. What happens when those date equally old to fossils you claim had to form during the biblical flood? The answer is, you can't explain how bugs could be encased in amber, which forms from tree resin allowed to set undisturbed. One of the things that destroys this resin before it can form amber is rain, of which there was plenty on a global scale according to the biblical flood. So, how do you explain the fact that we find plenty of amber?

Also, hilarious that you didn't realize that you just posted the exact same fossil as the one I posted earlier, mentioning that it's not a fish. Heck, even your source says it's not a fish, why did you call it a fish?

Why if they were all deposited at the same time by the same global event? The question from your point of view is surely why I think all these layers formed in so short a time span and why certain types of fossil seem to congregate in one layer as opposed to another. The answer to that being no one knows and yes I can live with that rather than having to fill the void with empty rationalisations based on analogies with things that are demonstrable like macroevolutionists do.
I wouldn't actually have to be an evolution supporter at all to take issue with all of these organisms living at the same time. The principle of ecological niches makes it impossible for all of these organisms to exist at the same time; they would have competed with each other for resources too much.

But you know, it is very easy to demonstrate that denser substances settle to lower layers; just put some mud in a water bottle that's half full, and violently shake it. Let it settle, and observe the layers it forms at the bottom.

Not sure you are really reading what I am writing and you seem ignorant of the biblical account.
I am reading what you are writing, and I am not ignorant of what the biblical account is. Not only have I read the bible, but I have been on this site for 4 years and this is one of the only subforums I am active in. Do you honestly think I could have gone this long without hearing the flood story dozens upon dozens of times?

There was torrential rain from the skies, the deeps opened up and water came up from beneath the earth, the flood waters rose and rose to cover the whole earth, which would have completely destroyed the weighting of all the tectonic plates and caused world wide earthquakes, tsunamis etc of unimaginable power.
Not sure what you mean by "destroyed the weighting of all the tectonic plates" considering that they operate on the simple principle of "lightest materials end up on top". Shaking up the ground wouldn't stop that from being the case, especially since you can only get so deep underground before it becomes too hot for liquid water to be there.

In fact the biggest miracle here is that the ark indeed life itself survived such a catastrophe. So stuff was coming up as well as falling down, stuff was moving sideways at hundreds/thousands of miles an hour in currents of unprecedented power. Whatever was there before would have been stripmined out by such a flood.
Other people have actually done the energy equations necessary for the flood to, say, carve out the Grand Canyon. It's actually too much energy for water to take; it'd have all evaporated.

Also it is disingenuous of you to suggest that radioactivity at the different levels is uniform there is considerable diversity in the reading of the fossils. Because the half life of carbon will only give you dates to about 50000 years you will need the half lives of heavier elements at the deepest level with the oldest fossils.
I meantioned in my post that I was specifically talking about dating methods that use uranium, and specifically stated "not something like carbon-14". It seems to me that you entirely missed why I would emphasize that I wasn't talking about carbon-14; it's a fairly light radioactive isotope, so it wouldn't have sunk as far as heavy ones like uranium.

Also, there isn't considerable diversity in the dating of the same fossil; all the dates fall within the margin of error allowable.

Again you have no idea how inputs in and out the samples you study worked out in practice. You have no idea how much radioactivity was originally present, or indeed how much was a direct result of the unique conditions of the flood.
I don't think you understand how radiation dating works; it sounds like you think that exposing a fossil to, say, the core of a nuclear power plant would make it date way younger.

I would expect higher levels to be more radioactive for a biblical reason. Because God stripped away the water vapour canopy that previously protected the earth from cosmic radiation.
Sigh, cosmic radiation only produces radioactive isotopes of light elements in the atmosphere, such as carbon in the form of CO2. It is not responsible for why heavy elements, such as uranium, are radioactive. Do you not know that every element heavier than lead is radioactive?

I would also expect smaller organisms to be the first to perish in these new conditions of greater levels of radiation and then to be followed by larger more resilient, older or more established organisms which fits the fossil record.
You are kidding me, right? The most resilient organisms on this planet are microscopic. Have you never heard of a tardigrade? It's a microscopic organism that can survive 120 years without water, enough radiation to make a cockroach feel inadequate, extreme temperatures, and even withstand the vacuum of space. Smaller organisms tend to endure much better than larger organisms do, because they don't need as large of a territory and they don't need as much food.

Most of marine life afterall lives towards the surface and near the sun. If the small stuff died first in the turmoil and new levels of radioactivity then it will be these that appear at the lowest levels of the rocks that formed so rapidly beneath the surface. But I say this only to suggest that an alternative to the conventional "wisdom" is possible and without the ridiculous timescales that "wisdom" requires not to posit a theory of how the flood went. Fact is no one knows we can only look at the results and then speculate from there. That mainstream science does this without reference to what has been revealed is why it seems so foolish to me.
Again, do you not know that we can tell if a layer of sediment was laid down by a flood? All sediment layers aren't the same as each other.

It was left a wasteland and deliberately so. Creationists like myself believe that most of life was destroyed by it. what we have now is a faint echo of what there was before the flood. That we are more exposed to radiation from the sun and that the earth as it was has been wiped out and buried is only evidence of the terrible magnitude of Gods judgment on us. That scientists today repeat the sins of Noahs generation by carrying on their investigations without reference to their primary cause is a mark of the foolishness of our times.
-_- the sins of Noah's generation are not described in much detail. But here is a list of some of the reasons why the flood exactly as the bible describes it did not happen:
1. His ark wouldn't float. There weren't even any nails in it holding the wood together.
2. The vast majority of organisms are too genetically diverse for this to have happened.
3. Signs of civilization booming in other parts of the world right after the flood supposedly happened.
4. Not enough food after the destruction; all the organisms on the ark would have starved to death.
5. Not enough water on this planet to cause such a flood.
6. Parasites. There are many obligate parasites that cause their host to die, or require various sequences of events that could not occur on the ark to maintain their life cycle and not die out. Plus, why would Noah want to purposely infect the few animals he was taking with parasites, risking their health? Do you think that he purposely caught malaria just so it wouldn't go extinct?
7. Not enough space. Thanks to the bible, we have the exact dimensions of the ark, and therefore know there wasn't enough space on it for all the animals. Unless you want to get over your aversion towards macroevolution and swing to the other extreme.

With a shallower sea this is possible. A flood of these dimensions would completely reconfigure the planet.
XD hahahahahahahahahahaha, a shallower sea? That would make the problem worse, I think you want to claim that there was somehow less land in the recent past. Ok, so the oceans currently cover about 71% of the surface of this planet. Unaltered, it would take more than 3 times the amount of water currently on this planet to produce a global flood.

Even more problematic for you, Mt. Ararat is mentioned in this biblical story AFTER the flood occurred. So, however the flood influenced the topography of the planet, the end result wasn't much different than it is now, and if the flood somehow added to the land mass, that just makes the area the water had to cover all the same, doesn't it?

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,661.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's fine, and speculation is fine as long as everyone recognizes it as such.

I do recognise your answer as speculative

The only difference between the two is time scale.

Yes assumed timescale rather than a proven one

That argument kinda assumes that biblical flood happened, doesn't it? Also, I am not claiming that a swan evolved into an eagle, though they do share a common ancestor.
Also, show the limit of how different an organism can become via microevolution, then. It should be easy.

Yes the flood happened. Yes a swan has never evolved into an eagle. Dna is complex and phenotypes are distinct but these define the borders.

Give a reason actually in the bible for the difference in radiation... oh wait, the bible never mentions radiation or rock layers laid down by the flood, does it.

God could age rocks , turn a planet overflowing with life into limestone deposits and broken fragments. However he did it it seems to be a feature of his judgment.

You are taking advantage of the idea that this event in no way has to be realistic as an excuse for why actual observations don't fit with it. So why don't you just say "I know the evidence doesn't seem to fit with the biblical account, but I believe anyway"? You might as well, considering that you shot yourself in the foot by manipulating the situation such that evidence for your position and evidence against it would be indistinguishable to you. That is, if the biblical flood wouldn't have left behind any normal evidence of a flood, that not only says that there isn't clear evidence that the flood happened, but that the very nature of the event prevents it from leaving behind clear evidence. That's quite an unscientific way of going about things, but feel free to keep at your evidence-less position if you want.

There is no evidence that contradicts the flood but there are a heap of analogous rationalisations.
Sure... but you need to demonstrate that all of these fossils were buried the same way. It doesn't matter that some fossils obviously need rapid burial to form, because my position doesn't deny that possibility at all. Your position, on the other hand, makes it a necessity for all fossils you think formed due to the flood... which becomes a huge problem when they demonstrably didn't form that way. For example, the mosquitoes preserved in amber. What happens when those date equally old to fossils you claim had to form during the biblical flood? The answer is, you can't explain how bugs could be encased in amber, which forms from tree resin allowed to set undisturbed. One of the things that destroys this resin before it can form amber is rain, of which there was plenty on a global scale according to the biblical flood. So, how do you explain the fact that we find plenty of amber?

Fossils can form in a multitude of ways. The point about the flood is only that it was a catastrophic accelerator of normal processes.

Also, hilarious that you didn't realize that you just posted the exact same fossil as the one I posted earlier, mentioning that it's not a fish. Heck, even your source says it's not a fish, why did you call it a fish?

I concede it was not a fish even if it look likes a fish to me but that was not the point

I wouldn't actually have to be an evolution supporter at all to take issue with all of these organisms living at the same time. The principle of ecological niches makes it impossible for all of these organisms to exist at the same time; they would have competed with each other for resources too much.

You cannot create scientific rules from the faded copy of what was. Life was both impossibly abundant and long living before the flood

But you know, it is very easy to demonstrate that denser substances settle to lower layers; just put some mud in a water bottle that's half full, and violently shake it. Let it settle, and observe the layers it forms at the bottom.

And if conditions like sheer and upwelling permitted that that is what would happen but again we are speculating.

I am reading what you are writing, and I am not ignorant of what the biblical account is. Not only have I read the bible, but I have been on this site for 4 years and this is one of the only subforums I am active in. Do you honestly think I could have gone this long without hearing the flood story dozens upon dozens of times?

It seems you have never taken the story in or recognised the severity of the judgment in it. This was an event that overturned everything.

Not sure what you mean by "destroyed the weighting of all the tectonic plates" considering that they operate on the simple principle of "lightest materials end up on top". Shaking up the ground wouldn't stop that from being the case, especially since you can only get so deep underground before it becomes too hot for liquid water to be there.

The plates are moving, they slide under each other. The weight of water on them would have changed this dynamic with the obvious consequence of some terrible earthquakes. If these occurred under water tsunamis would have resulted. But again all speculation

Other people have actually done the energy equations necessary for the flood to, say, carve out the Grand Canyon. It's actually too much energy for water to take; it'd have all evaporated.

Depends how deep the water was, how fast it was moving over and through the canyon and assumes no supernatural intervention

I meantioned in my post that I was specifically talking about dating methods that use uranium, and specifically stated "not something like carbon-14". It seems to me that you entirely missed why I would emphasize that I wasn't talking about carbon-14; it's a fairly light radioactive isotope, so it wouldn't have sunk as far as heavy ones like uranium.

There has not been enough time for uranium half lives to be relevant. The isotope is used on the lower levels cause your dating assumes massive timespans for the fossils there. The presence of closed clams and even dinosaurs ( Utah) in lower geological layers overthrows the assumptions anyway.

Also, there isn't considerable diversity in the dating of the same fossil; all the dates fall within the margin of error allowable.

I don't think you understand how radiation dating works; it sounds like you think that exposing a fossil to, say, the core of a nuclear power plant would make it date way younger.

Sigh, cosmic radiation only produces radioactive isotopes of light elements in the atmosphere, such as carbon in the form of CO2. It is not responsible for why heavy elements, such as uranium, are radioactive. Do you not know that every element heavier than lead is radioactive?

You are kidding me, right? The most resilient organisms on this planet are microscopic. Have you never heard of a tardigrade? It's a microscopic organism that can survive 120 years without water, enough radiation to make a cockroach feel inadequate, extreme temperatures, and even withstand the vacuum of space. Smaller organisms tend to endure much better than larger organisms do, because they don't need as large of a territory and they don't need as much food.

An angry God may have even judged the earth burning out all traces of the civilisation that got him so riled. The way in which He did this is a mystery but if rocks were suddenly older then that is a symptom of that intervention not a proof that the intervention never happened. It is clear we are never going to agree cause you are ignoring the most important evidence of all - the existence of an all powerful God.

Again, do you not know that we can tell if a layer of sediment was laid down by a flood? All sediment layers aren't the same as each other.

Catastrophe is an accelerator not a denier of variety

-_- the sins of Noah's generation are not described in much detail. But here is a list of some of the reasons why the flood exactly as the bible describes it did not happen:
1. His ark wouldn't float. There weren't even any nails in it holding the wood together.
2. The vast majority of organisms are too genetically diverse for this to have happened.
3. Signs of civilization booming in other parts of the world right after the flood supposedly happened.
4. Not enough food after the destruction; all the organisms on the ark would have starved to death.
5. Not enough water on this planet to cause such a flood.
6. Parasites. There are many obligate parasites that cause their host to die, or require various sequences of events that could not occur on the ark to maintain their life cycle and not die out. Plus, why would Noah want to purposely infect the few animals he was taking with parasites, risking their health? Do you think that he purposely caught malaria just so it wouldn't go extinct?
7. Not enough space. Thanks to the bible, we have the exact dimensions of the ark, and therefore know there wasn't enough space on it for all the animals. Unless you want to get over your aversion towards macroevolution and swing to the other extreme.

More speculation, we are the living proof the boat floated. The Smithsonian thinks it would have floated.

Could Noah’s Ark Float? In Theory, Yes | Science | Smithsonian

XD hahahahahahahahahahaha, a shallower sea? That would make the problem worse, I think you want to claim that there was somehow less land in the recent past. Ok, so the oceans currently cover about 71% of the surface of this planet. Unaltered, it would take more than 3 times the amount of water currently on this planet to produce a global flood.

Even more problematic for you, Mt. Ararat is mentioned in this biblical story AFTER the flood occurred. So, however the flood influenced the topography of the planet, the end result wasn't much different than it is now, and if the flood somehow added to the land mass, that just makes the area the water had to cover all the same, doesn't it?

Mt Ararat is a blob on a big land mass. If the weight of the water pushed the overall landmass down or if it was lower then then a sea that was shallower over all the earth is possible.

So there are 2 major ways that water might have covered the earth:

1) There are hidden reserves of water under the tectonic plates that somehow all surfaced at the same time and then receded after the flood. Giving enough water to cover the planet without substantial reconfiguration.

2) The whole land mass of the earth was so reconfigured by the flood that at one point in that reconfiguration process it was possible because the highest mountains were not so high and the deepest oceans not so deep.

So I think you are just being obtuse here. But it is also clear that you do not want to accept the biblical account and I suspect this has nothing to do with science. Especially since this discussion is all pure speculation anyway

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums