Creationism in public schools? (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brightmorningstar

Freedom63​
There is discernable proof of evolution and has been for a long time.
There is no proof at all.​
Just because we don't understand all the specific steps does not mean we have no proof.
If you don’t understand the specific steps you have no proof.​
You and others here aren’t dealing with the issues, you are merely repeating your claims.​
The evidence is the same for creation as for evolution, there is a diversity of life which came about in increasing complexity,​
 ​
And as for proof we evolved from apes...this is a misunderstang as well.
Agreed.​
Since we have mapped the human genome we have acuired undeniable proof that we evolved from a common ancestor.
On the contrary we have no such proof at all.​
All one needs to do is familiarize themselves with real science to resolve the matter in their minds.
Not according to some scientists.​
 ​
It is a fact that we evolved...the issue has been proven.
Its a fact it hasnt, but it is also a fact some like to suggest it is.​
To the believer it will mean God created through evolution.
Possible. But that would be creationist as well as Creationism is all about God creating and intelligent design.​
Scientific conspiracy theories about the entire community coming together to deny God's existance really are the most laughable of all the literal creationists theories.
Laughable to those too blind to see yes.​
Now the human genome has not proved anything, the question from one of the evolutionist claims regarding the presence of so-called junk DNA which supposedly reveals an evolutionary heritage begs the question does that mean all the DNA was there from the start and thus how is it evolution if the DNA hasn’t evolved?​
 ​
Even Arthur Cody asks what triggers the trigger, Gene Myers says the system is like it was designed.​
 ​
There are a lot of posts here merely claiming science has the answer and implying anyone who doesn’t agree is laughable.​

Upvote 0

Freedom63

Universal Reconciliationist (Eventually)
Aug 4, 2011
Indiana
✟1,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Freedom63
There is no proof at all.
If you don’t understand the specific steps you have no proof.
You and others here aren’t dealing with the issues, you are merely repeating your claims.
The evidence is the same for creation as for evolution, there is a diversity of life which came about in increasing complexity,

Agreed.
On the contrary we have no such proof at all.
Not according to some scientists.

Its a fact it hasnt, but it is also a fact some like to suggest it is.
Possible. But that would be creationist as well as Creationism is all about God creating and intelligent design.
Laughable to those too blind to see yes.
Now the human genome has not proved anything, the question from one of the evolutionist claims regarding the presence of so-called junk DNA which supposedly reveals an evolutionary heritage begs the question does that mean all the DNA was there from the start and thus how is it evolution if the DNA hasn’t evolved?

Even Arthur Cody asks what triggers the trigger, Gene Myers says the system is like it was designed.

There are a lot of posts here merely claiming science has the answer and implying anyone who doesn’t agree is laughable.

Who said anything about the system not being designed? I am not an atheist...I believe in Theistic Evolution. (Not to be confused with intelligent design however)

The evidence is there and there is concensus among the scientific community. It has been presented countless times on this forum and simply denied by those like yourself. We are as past the point of uncertainty as we are about heliocentrism. And yes it is laughable the nonsense that those who choose ignorance over the evidence within creation comes up with.

The resistance of some within the Christian community to scientific discovery is simply based upon ignorance of the process and reveals a great lack of faith in my opinion. And frankly it causes great harm to the cause of Christ because it presents Christians as a bunch of dim witted bafoons. God is the author His creation and there is not threat to Him in studying it.

Upvote 0
G

good brother

Who said anything about the system not being designed? I am not an atheist...I believe in Theistic Evolution. (Not to be confused with intelligent design however)

The evidence is there and there is concensus among the scientific community. It has been presented countless times on this forum and simply denied by those like yourself. We are as past the point of uncertainty as we are about heliocentrism. And yes it is laughable the nonsense that those who choose ignorance over the evidence within creation comes up with.

The resistance of some within the Christian community to scientific discovery is simply based upon ignorance of the process and reveals a great lack of faith in my opinion. And frankly it causes great harm to the cause of Christ because it presents Christians as a bunch of dim witted bafoons. God is the author His creation and there is not threat to Him in studying it.

Yes, God is the author. He wrote a book. Perhaps you have heard of it, it's called the Bible. In the first book of the Bible God tells how He did it. If you acknowledge that God is the author, why don't you take Him at His word on the matter? It almost sounds as though you have designed your own god around the assumptions of man's supposed wisdom.

In Christ, GB

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

Freedom63
Being designed implies, and certainly doesnt rule out an intelligent design including God. I think you are making assumptions.

The evidence is there and there is concensus among the scientific community.
Again no one is disputing there is evidence, or what the scientific community generally believes, they generally accepted cosmological constant when Einstein proposed it, and generally do not now.
It has been presented countless times on this forum and simply denied by those like yourself.
Excuse me, I do not dispute the fossil evidence shows (with some likely exceptions) a progressive increase in life forms and complexity. As to proof for those life forms having evolved, there is none, no -one has observed it happen, it is an assumption.

The resistance of some within the Christian community to scientific discovery is simply based upon ignorance of the process and reveals a great lack of faith in my opinion.
On the contrary it is probably that they are of sound mind, they even acknowledge evolution is a possible mechanism to explain the increase in complexity of life form over time.

And frankly it causes great harm to the cause of Christ because it presents Christians as a bunch of dim witted bafoons.
Remember thats how Christians are told we should expect to be seen, its foolishness to those who are perishing.

God is the author His creation and there is not threat to Him in studying it.
I have no problem with that, but I am challenging the idea that the theory of evolution was how God created.

Upvote 0

Freedom63

Aug 4, 2011
Indiana
✟1,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, God is the author. He wrote a book. Perhaps you have heard of it, it's called the Bible. In the first book of the Bible God tells how He did it. If you acknowledge that God is the author, why don't you take Him at His word on the matter? It almost sounds as though you have designed your own god around the assumptions of man's supposed wisdom.

In Christ, GB

Let me guess...your a young earth literal creationist right?

Guess what...heliocentrism was proven wrong long ago. Do you also embrace that literal interpretation? And God is the author of the bible yes (though man has certainly messed it up at times) but He is also the author of the universe. The only conflict between the two is in the minds of those like yourself who try to force the bible into saying something beyond what God intended.

Faith allows for scientific discovery and does not feel like God is being threatened.

Upvote 0

Freedom63

Aug 4, 2011
Indiana
✟1,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
A couple of great Christian resources here for those willing to learn from God's creation AND the bible in harmony. (As God intended)

Creation Science
The BioLogos Forum

I also highly recommend the book The Language of God by Francis Collins. The human genome is pretty much a knockout blow to those who still try to cling to alternatives.

Upvote 0

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Freedom63
Being designed implies, and certainly doesnt rule out an intelligent design including God. I think you are making assumptions.

The assumption he is making is that the phrase "Intelligent Design," when capitalized, refers to a complete philosophical (and political) movement, spearheaded by organizations like the Discovery Institute. This movement does not merely teach that it is philosophically likely that God exists and is guiding His creation, but goes on to claim that Special Creation is necessary to explain certain interlocking features of living creatures, which they consider "irreducibly complex." Although they ususally try to keep their language religiously neutral when discussing these ideas with the public at large, in their internal documents and fund-raising events in sympathetic churches, they readily admit that they are anti-evolutionist Creationists.

When you assume (or pretend to assume) that Freedom63's arguments against this specific brand of Creationism are intended to also counter theistic evolution, which accepts all of the evolutionists' arguments, but believes (philosophically, but not scientifically) that God is guiding evolution, behind the scenes, you undermine you credibility, not his. He never attempted to claim his arguments counter theistic evolution.

Upvote 0
G

good brother

Let me guess...your a young earth literal creationist right?
Yes, as that is what Bible teaches. You know, I have wagered my entire eternal destination on the correctness of what the Bible teaches, why would I doubt what is says on eternity past or the beginning of time?

Guess what...heliocentrism was proven wrong long ago. Do you also embrace that literal interpretation?
That argument only comes from a non common sense reading of the Joshua passage that speaks of the Sun standing still in the sky. Obviously the writer was speaking from Earth's perspective, meant it to be understood from that same perspective, and from that perspective it appeared to stand still in the sky. It was not laying out the doctrines of heliocentrism.

And God is the author of the bible yes (though man has certainly messed it up at times) but He is also the author of the universe.
Do you really think God would tell us one thing in His book but demonstrate another in His physical creation? Wouldn't that make God to be a liar? Either His book is correct and man's interpretation of the physical world is flawed or God was a liar. There are no other possiblities.

The only conflict between the two is in the minds of those like yourself who try to force the bible into saying something beyond what God intended.
What do you think God intended when He said the following?

Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."

Did God not know what He did before or how long it took Him to do it? What about this passage:

Leviticus 23:1 The LORD said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘These are my appointed festivals, the appointed festivals of the LORD, which you are to proclaim as sacred assemblies.

3 “‘There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a sabbath to the LORD.

Have you ever read Genesis 1? By reading Genesis 1, what do you think that Genesis 1 would have the reader to understand as to the length of time it took for the creation events described in Genesis 1?

Faith allows for scientific discovery and does not feel like God is being threatened.
I am all for scientific discovery. That's one of my favorites. I love dicovering! The only thing I would warn against is man's interpretation of discoveries. What "we" as a society have done is to say that God did not know what He was talking about or that He didn't mean what He said when He said what He said. Instead we have looked to ourselves and our own "wisdom" for answers. "We" have said that "we" have the correct answers, and have called God a liar.

I hope this is clear enough teaching.

In Christ, GB

Upvote 0

metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’m actually going to make two posts in a row rather than one super long one, since I’m now responding to two people.

First, because his reply to me came first, is good brother. After I post this, I will then start my reply to brightmorningstar, so it might take a while.

Here is why I have not moved any goal posts. I talked about the disorganization thing because you were attempting to indicate that the use of those energies to CREATE life, all I was saying with my original post (and apparently I need to clarify myself in the future) that those things are not organizers, they are sustainers. Birds (flighted ones) use the wind to to what they were already designed to do. Just like flowers use the sun for photosynthesis since they have been designed for that. And even though birds use the wind, I have seen birds struggle in the face of a strong wind, and flowers can die by the same source that gives them life. Fish use water because they are designed for life in the water but that same water can wash them ashore and kill them. Do you see what I am trying to say?

Clarification in the future would be better, but I’ll get to that in a moment.

All those energies can be used in the processes to create life in some manner. While they can sustain, they much sustain by organization. There HAD to be air and wind for the birds to use before they used it. There had to be a chemical reaction that involved using sunlight, carbon dioxide, and water BEFORE it could be used by a plant. Fish can use ocean currents to conserve energy, but the currents have to be there before they can be used. And the lightning does/can organize organic chemicals. Also, with the exception of photosynthesis, this is not the type of organization that the SLoT talks about.

Are you married? Did your wife tell you everything about herself on your first date? Even the second date? I would bet that even at the wedding there was stuff you didn't know about her. My point is, Do I have to tell everything I know about everything I know anything about everytime I talk about anything I talk about? I really don't like you saying I have dishonest tactics just because I bring up different points at different times in our conversation. I guess I am sorry you feel that way.
First off, I’m sorry as well. I’ve seen this tactic used before, I’ve had discussions/arguments with people who’ve done it before, and its nasty. Now, you say you are just clarifying your arguments. I’m not saying you aren’t. But, after having read the source on ‘moving the goalposts’ that I linked before, can you see how, from my point of view, your posts certainly seemed to be following all those steps? This is why clarification would be better at the beginning. While it is true all the knowledge we have isn’t laid out each post, knowing exactly what knowledge I need to lay out before I start, instead of laying some out, having it corrected, laying some more out, etc.

I do appreciate the non wiki source. Thank you sir.
You are welcome. I’m sorry if the manner I presented it as being a non wiki source seemed snippy.

But transportation did not stem from the existence of roads, roads came about from the needs of transportation.

Yes. However, roads can be a natural byproduct of the transportation. Even animals make paths where are the plants and such are trotted down from many groups of animals going over the same spot. Nowadays, even in ancient times, roads were paved and fancied up, but many were just dirt where people had walked all the plant life down and it became easier to walk.

Also, tires did not just pop into being (going back a step). If you think about it, before tires, there were wheels. And many types of wheels: bicycle wheels, stone wheels, metal wheels, wooden wheels, spoked wheels, solid wheels, cartwheels... wait, that last one is acrobatics. And before metal wheels there would have been wooden and stone wheels. And before wheels, I believe it is common knowledge that logs were put on the ground and things rolled over them. Actually, getting a tire from a log isn’t as bad a parallel as some to breeding, which is evolution with artificial selection instead of natural selection. Though, since chopped down logs don’t reproduce on their own, it isn’t perfect.

I guess I didn't think we had gotten that far yet.
Gotcha. It just seemed to me that if it even applied would be one of the first things to be tackled, is all. :)

The point is, if we don't know how life started, why couldn't have been just like the Bible says? Why couldn't we just take God at His word? Why do we have to assume that He was incorrect when He described the events that He supposedly did?
Again, couldn't we just take the Bible at it's word? I mean, hey, we are trusting it for our eternal salvation, why not trust it on it's history?
Now, for this part, I don’t remember if you answered my question about Aesop’s Fables being wrong. But let’s start a non-exhaustive list of reasons.
1. The world that God caused to be made (I assume you believe direct miracle, I believe natural process, but that God made the natural process, so we both believe it is still God) does not show evidence of what the first chapters of Genesis state. Even Christian geologists before Darwin even traveled to the Galapagos determined that the geological evidence doesn’t indicate a global Flood. Current biology, fossils, etc, doesn’t show what is claimed in the Bible to be correct.

2. Filling in a ‘we don’t know’ with ‘God did it’ answers no questions, gives no insight. God did it doesn’t tell us how genomes change. God did it doesn’t help us see what genes are similar to our in different animals to help drug testing in lab animals. God did it doesn’t help us predict where to find oil. God did it is a non-answer.

3. If ‘we don’t know’ CAN be filled in with “God did it”, why can’t any other religion put in THEIR God? What’s to stop the Muslims from insisting that it happened according to the Koran? What’s to stop the Hindus from insisting it according to the Vedas, or the Hare Krishna followers insist it comes form the Bhagavad Gita? Once evidence is abandoned, how do we decide which faith’s text is correct?

4. Taking the Bible at which word? Did all humans come after animals a la Genesis 1? Or did it go Adam->animals->Eve as in Genesis 2? How many of each animal did Noah take on to the Ark? 2 of all, or 2 of all unclean and 7 of all clean? When were undersea plants made? God made all the plants of the field, all the birds/winged creatures of the air, all the fish/swimming creatures of the sea, all the beasts of the field, and men, so when did He make undersea plants? The narratives are incomplete, contradictory, and heavily reminiscent of other Ancient Near East mythologies.

5. Why is the Bible the only one that needs to be literal, that can’t teach a lesson? As far as I know, mythology is general inserted into a lot of high school english classes via Edith Hamilton’s book Mythology, and Greek tales when we learn about comedies/tragedies/etc, so why is the Bible the only one that HAS to be literal, that CAN”T be told to teach its people. The Greeks had their myths, the Romans theirs, the Egyptians theirs, the Babylonians theirs (ridiculously similar to the Hebrew ones... or vice versa), the Chinese theirs, the Indians theirs, the Native Americans theirs... why do the Hebrew ones HAVE to be literal?

6. God tends to use parables, and visions, and such, WITHOUT always letting people know He is doing so. In the Gospels, Jesus had to take the Apostles aside from time to time to explain parables because people just didn’t get them, or didn’t even get He was using a parable in the first place!

I have listed some: hydrologic sorting, lack of transition fossils, and specialty design of the animal kingdom.
Hydrologic sorting is not evidence for creationism. I posted a non-wiki link on that a while back.

There is not a lack of transitional fossils. There is a lack of acceptance that they are transitional fossils. I’ll pose the same question to you as I did to gradyll: what would make a fossil transitional? What would have to be the case, the features to make you accept a fossil as transitional. Furthermore, this isn’t positive evidence of creationism. Even if it were hypothetically true, all it is is a lack of one type of evidence for evolution. Lack of evidence for evolution is NOT evidence FOR Biblical creationism.

Design is not positive evidence of Biblical creationism for several reasons. One, design has not been objectively shown and proven. Two, the appearance of design has been shown to come from natural, undirected, even nonliving processes. Three, design is a catch all that becomes unfalsifiable. Similar design? Okay, similar designer. Different design? Shouldn’t that mean different designers? Nope, we are told, it is our one designer being creative. So if similarities are design, and NON similarities are design, all there is is an assertion of design with no evidence. Fourth, special design shows God out to be a horrible sadist. You know that bacterial flagellum always paraded around by the ID advocates? That flagellum is what allows a large number of truly horrid bacteria to move and infect people. That flagellum is a HUGE cause of death and suffering. And saying God specially designed it to do just that is saying that God willfully and purposefully made it just to inflict pain and suffering. And it’s not the only example of such.

Except God isn’t the author. God never claims to be the author, or the dictator (not as in ruler, as in person who says things that are copied word for word by someone else), or anything BUT the inspirer (All scripture is God-breathed... not God dictated or God send-down-from-Heaven-as-a-written-manuscript). Furthermore, the Bible contains words of men because it has word for word accounts of conversations between men, and the words of men are NOT the words of God. In at least one of the epistles, Paul also states that certain things are just his opinion.
God also tells us how He did it in two different ways that can’t both be true, and neither conform to the world He made.

Yes, as that is what Bible teaches.
No, it isn’t, not directly.

That argument only comes from a non common sense reading of the Joshua passage that speaks of the Sun standing still in the sky. Obviously the writer was speaking from Earth's perspective, meant it to be understood from that same perspective, and from that perspective it appeared to stand still in the sky. It was not laying out the doctrines of heliocentrism.
It also comes from passages about the earth being fixed on pillars and never being moved, and talks about how the sun hastens back across the sky to start his circuit again. (such as Psalm 93 and Ecclesiastes 1) that clearly describe the earth as immovable and the sun as moving. The only reason people think it is silly now is because the matter has been settled for hundreds of years. The fact that the matter WASN”T settled at one time should show something.

Do you really think God would tell us one thing in His book but demonstrate another in His physical creation? Wouldn't that make God to be a liar? Either His book is correct and man's interpretation of the physical world is flawed or God was a liar. There are no other possiblities.
Yes there are. This is the false dichotomy. What if God did not give the account of the creation as a history lesson but as a moral lesson? Jesus’ parable of the good Samaritan was not a treatise on the history of people falling in ditches and being saved by Samaritans, but a story about who is actually a person’s neighbor. Was Jesus a liar when he told the parable of the Good Samaritan? The Prodigal Son? The Servant and the Talents?

Did God not know what He did before or how long it took Him to do it? What about this passage:
It’s rather amusing that you cite the Exodus and Leviticus passages, because only ONE deals with any reference to creation as the day of rest.

Have you ever read Genesis 1? By reading Genesis 1, what do you think that Genesis 1 would have the reader to understand as to the length of time it took for the creation events described in Genesis 1?
Genesis 1 does not exist in a vacuum.

The only thing I would warn against is man's interpretation of discoveries. What "we" as a society have done is to say that God did not know what He was talking about or that He didn't mean what He said when He said what He said. Instead we have looked to ourselves and our own "wisdom" for answers. "We" have said that "we" have the correct answers, and have called God a liar.
This is incorrect.

“We” have not called God a liar. Creationists call God a liar, by saying either He lied in the Bible or in the earth.

Furthermore, it is not just ‘interpretation’. The evidence is inter-objective for all to see.

And even if it were interpretation, not all interpretations are valid. Creationism is not a valid interpretation because of how much it dismisses, throws out, and denies.

And at least for AIG, this argument is EXTREMELY hypocritical, given their statement of faith and how often I see this argument coming from them.

Finally, if it is ‘just interpretation’, how do we know anything? Flat earth is just a different ‘interpretation’ of the evidence. So it heliocentrism. So is germ theory, and alternative medicine. It’s all just ‘interpretation’, right?

No, the interpretation doesn’t hold up at all.

Metherion

Upvote 0

metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So what, humans and chimps have many common features but there is no observable proof we evolved from chimps, there is only the assumption we did. And it is to the assumption both a creator and a biological evolution are possible.
That’s right. Because we DID NOT evolve from chimpanzees. Chimps are humans share a common ancestor that in and of itself was neither human nor chimp yet. The evidence is in the fossils and the genetics.

My original response was ‘then’ from what you were saying it would be intelligent design and to us, God; regardless of what the intelligentdesign.org site says.
If your answer to my question was no, the laws were not created by God, then the laws came about themselves.
Be careful to understand the argument being put to you. God can change what is commonly called ‘the laws of nature.’
I posted from that site to clear up the definition of intelligent design. As a Christian, I believe God made everything, including the laws of nature. A non-theist might not believe that. But regardless of the existence of God, or not, ID states that the natural laws enough are not sufficient to explain life as we know it on earth.

The belief that God made the natural law in such a way that evolution would happen and lead to us is a form of theistic evolution. The belief that intervened either through miracles or through divine changing of the natural law is ID. I wanted to make sure the definitions were straight first.

No, the process of evolution is a assumption of how life became more numerous and complex, God creating it is another assumption.
Evolution is not an assumption, it is a demonstrated process. And it is not intelligent, nor a being. God is an intelligent being.

I am not arguing for an intelligent design, but for God’s creation. As to your premise and considering the timelines inherent in evolution, there is no reason anything would ‘pop’ up in our lifetime.
I never mentioned our lifetime. And there is no ‘popping up’ of new, completely formed and functional beings, without precursors, anywhere.

My point is that the fossil and dating evidence just shows the progressive complexity of life forms, there is no proof that what are called transitional forms are not merely species in their own right.
But they ARE species in and of their own right. They are species with inherent features of multiple related branches of the tree of life, but each one still has to be its own fully functional animal specie.

This, and the chimp thing, are starting to indicate a gross misunderstanding of evolution.
There is no demonstration of a new animal kingdom happening now or in the past,
That’s because animalia IS a kingdom in and of itself, and all animals belong to it.

but as with the example of Tikaalic the question is how would a species reproduce to adapt to an environment it doesn’t know? Its no use saying bit by bit as none of the environment is necessarily known. Tikaalic is a fossil, sure we make reasonable deductions that its lobed fins could support its weight but we also see they are unlikely to move it about. It lives in the sea according to the evolutionary theory though it appears to have breathing aparatus. According to the assumptions it cannot walk around on land and eat vegetation. To do so it must reproduce with lobes that can walk and know what it can eat on land.
How it can change is small variations acted upon by natural selection. The ones that reproduced with lobes more suited to walking would be able to travel faster on land or in water too shallow to swim in to escape predators. Plenty of amphibians today can eat things that grow in both water and on land.

Ah, but I accept that and remember I am not saying evolution couldn’t be possible, but the level of objection to science saying this is the fossil and dating evidence, which could be explained by evolution or an intelligent design, or God, shows many refuse to accept its a theory.
And the genetics. And the rest of the evidence. And the lack of evidence for intelligent design. And the supernatural components of both that lead to untestability and unfalsifiability. Creationism is not a scientific theory. All predictions it has made that are falisfiable have been. ID is not a scientific theory because of its lack of predictions, evidence, testability, falsitifability, and its supernaturalism.

No I am asking you to present something that supports your claim. A new strain of virus is still a virus just as Tiktaalic was a fish and Icthyostega a tetrapod right? Or were they both fishapods? I have outlined why I don’t see how the supposed evolution between Tiktaalic and the likes of Icthyostega can work,.
I asked you what kind of evidence you would accept to help avoid any goal post moving, to make sure the evidence you would accept is what would actually need to be the case, and to avoid the wasting of time.

Who said it doesnt fit, when one looks at the fossils of Tiktaalic one is already making a decision that it is a fish or a tetrapod based on the characteristics one has already set for fish and tetrapods. One is already making the assumption that it did have breathing apparatus, a reasonable assumption sure, but nevertheless an assumption. Why couldn’t one could call all these ‘fishapods’ a separate group along with fish and tetrapods? Perhaps God created fish then fishapods then tetrapods?
The criteria for what is a fish and what is a tetrapod come from cladistics, a system of organization of all animals based on the work of Carl Linnaeus. One COULD call them fishapods, but then a new naming system would need to be made. It also would not be beside fish and tetrapods, but in between. And we can tell about lungs from spiracles on the tiktaalik rossils.
However, I think your problem is with more than just semantics in nomenclature. And if God did create them, He decided to create them to make it look EXACTLY like they had evolved.

Ok so in response to my scepticism about the theory of evolution you are presenting me with the theory of evolution . Sorry but that convinces me evolution is without proof.
Tiktaalic is the example I chose, the same doubts about Tiktaalic can be presented for other so called transitional fossils.

This was actually in response to good brother’s statement that evolution violated natural law. This was to ask him WHICH law.

The doubts you have presented are arguments from incredulity as far as I can tell, nothing more.

Its an assumption like evolution, we have seen neither God create fish and tetrapods, nor a fish evolve into a tetrapod.
Evolution is a process discovered as a conclusion drawn from many observations, and has evidence such as fossils and genetics. God creating is untestable, unobserved, and evidence that has been left is against Biblical creation.

The evidence shows that life forms became more diverse numerous and complex. Who has said it didnt?
People who claim it was created all at once.

Why would you as a Christian want to eliminate the word of God from the evidence?
Because I don’t want to use a strobelight instead of a hammer. The Bible and science are vastly different things, meant to do vastly different things, and since the Bible does not tell that it needs to be either literal or disbelieved, nor does it answer questions about the mechanisms of how the universe works, it should not be used in science. It may tell us about the universe, about certain things that happened, about our relationship to God, but it gives an entirely different kind of knowledge than science does.

So you can make things up with your mind but others cant? What sort of an argument is that? Are you saying the points made are not valid? If so please address them.
Except my mind IS NOT made up to the point where it could never be changed. There is the possibility of evolution being shown wrong. The famous example is rabbits in the Precambrian. However, AIG is different. AIG has declared they will not change their mind, and if reality violates their preconceived notions, they will claim reality is wrong.

How much money could someone make proving evolution wrong? How famous would someone be for doing so? And yet, I am expected to believe that AIG, a faith based organization that produces no real science, has multiple moral infractions in the past, are going to be the ONLY ONES to see why and how it is wrong? Or that there is a giant conspiracy that I myself as a scientist have not been inducted in to? If a legitimate challenger says “This is wrong, and X is why”, then I will take notice. If a compulsively lying quote miner who has previously stated he will consider reality wrong if it contradicts his mind states “X is wrong and here is why!”, and NOBODY ELSE WILL LEGITIMACY DOES, that tells me something.

There is no evolution. If its too slow to observe you can no more prove it that we can prove it was God. The argument you put forward for gradual evolution is not proof, it is merely reasoned assumption.
Wrong, there is evolution. The evidence is in genetics and the fossil record. I was responding to a point about confusion over the speed of evolution, and how it is ‘too slow to be seen’ and ‘has examples’ at the same time, and I was explaining how both are the case.

Metherion

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
G

good brother

Metherion,

Firstly, let me say how i did chuckle at your sneaking in of the word "cartwheel".I read your response. I just totally disagree with you. I believe whole heartedly in a recent six day creation, that God spoke ordered things into existence in an act of special creation in a one time deal. I believe He set the laws in order at that time, laws that cannot be broken. Do I know how He did it all? No. That may be one of my first questions when I meet Him face to face for the first time. Will I trust Him at His word? Yes. I might be wrong, but I would rather take my chances siding with God than to reason my chances at siding with men. Will that seem foolish to many people? Most certainly. Oh well. I really don't care what others may think of me. No amount of words you may say, webites you list, authors you quote from, scientific minds you reference, or what not, I will not be changing my position. This may be the moment you were looking for. You may think I am a closed minded whateverist. That's fine. I know who I am and I know the God I follow. Sir, we may just have to agree to disagree on this matter. Thank you for all the time you put into your responses. I truly thank you for that. I just know that a person convinced against their will is of the same opinion still. My dad taught me that. I think that both of us are losing a battle trying to convince the other that each of us are correct. I know you feel correct, and I feel correct. Do we continue with this stalemate? I won't. I bid thee farewell and God's blessings upon you as you follow Him.

In Christ, GB

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Um, we do have them. Creationists flat-out ignore them.

Ok, so you don't have any idea how fossilization works. That isn't criminal, but you really should rectify that before complaining about a supposed paucity of them.

is tiktaalik a transitional form or just a fish?

tiktaalik is a fish according to answers in genesis...

Whatever else we might say about Tiktaalik, it is a fish. In a review article on Tiktaalik (appearing in the same issue of the scientific journal Nature that reported the discovery of Tiktaalik), fish evolution experts, Ahlberg and Clack concede that “in some respects Tiktaalik and Panderichthys are straightforward fishes: they have small pelvic fins, retain fin rays in their paired appendages and have well-developed gill arches, suggesting that both animals remained mostly aquatic.” 5

In other respects, however, Ahlberg and Clack argue that Tiktaalik is more tetrapod-like than Panderichthys because “the bony gill cover has disappeared, and the skull has a longer snout.” The authors weakly suggest that the significance of all this is that “a longer snout suggests a shift from sucking towards snapping up prey, whereas the loss of gill cover bones probably correlates with reduced water flow through the gill chamber. The ribs also seem larger in Tiktaalik, which may mean it was better able to support its body out of water.”

Without the author’s evolutionary bias, of course, there is no reason to assume that Tiktaalik was anything other than exclusively aquatic. And how do we know that Tiktaalik lost its gill cover as opposed to never having one? The longer snout and lack of bony gill covers (found in many other exclusively-aquatic living fish) are interpreted as indicating a reduced flow of water through the gills, which, in turn, is declared to be suggestive of partial air-breathing—but this is quite a stretch. Finally, what does any of this have to do with fish evolving into land dwelling tetrapods?

Are the pectoral fins of Tiktaalik really legs?

Before we get into Tiktaalik’s “legs,” it might be instructive to consider an old trick question. If we call our arms “legs,” then how many legs would we have? The answer, of course, is two legs—just because we call our arms “legs” doesn’t make them legs. The same might be said of the bony fins of Crossopterygian fish—we may call them “legs” but that doesn’t necessarily make them legs.

Shubin et al. make much of the claim that Tiktaalik’s bony fins show a reduction in dermal bone and an increase in endochondral bone.6 This is important to them because the limb bones of tetrapods are entirely endochondral. They further claim that the cleithrum (a dermal bone to which the pectoral fin is attached in fish) is detached from the skull, resembling the position of the scapula (shoulder blade) of a tetrapod. They also claim that the endochondral bones of the fin are more similar to those of a tetrapod in terms of structure and range of motion. However, none of this, if true, proves that Tiktaalik’s fins supported its weight out of water, or that it was capable of a true walking motion. (It certainly doesn’t prove that these fish evolved into tetrapods.)

The limbs of tetrapods

The limbs of tetrapods share similar characteristic features. These unique features meet the special demands of walking on land. In the case of the forelimbs there is one bone nearest the body (proximal) called the humerus that articulates (flexibly joins) with two bones, the radius and ulna, further away from the body (distal). These in turn articulate with multiple wrist bones, which finally articulate with typically five digits. The hind limbs similarly consist of one proximal bone, the femur, which articulates with two distal bones, the tibia and fibula, which in turn articulate with ankle bones; and finally with typically five digits. In order to support the weight of the body on land, and permit walking, the most proximal bones of the limbs must be securely attached to the rest of the body. The humerus of the forelimb articulates with the pectoral girdle which includes the scapula (shoulder blade) and the clavicle (collar bone). The only bony attachment of the pectoral girdle to the body is the clavicle.

The femur of the hind limb articulates with the pelvic girdle, which consists of fused bones collectively called the pelvis (hip bone). It is this hind limb—with its robust pelvic girdle securely attached to the vertebral column—that differs radically from that of any fish. (The tetrapod arrangement is important for bearing the weight of the animal on land.)

All tetrapod limb bones and their attachment girdles are endochondral bones. In the case of all fish, including Tiktaalik, the cleithrum and fin rays are dermal bones.

It is significant that the “earliest” true tetrapods recognized by evolutionists (such as Acanthostega and Ichthyostega) have all of the distinguishing features of tetrapod limbs (and their attachment girdles) and were clearly capable of walking and breathing on land. The structural differences between the tetrapod leg and the fish fin is easily understood when we realize that the buoyant density of water is about a thousand times greater than that of air. A fish has no need to support much of its weight in water where it is essentially weightless.

The fins of fish (including Tiktaalik)

Essentially all fish (including Tiktaalik) have small pelvic fins relative to their pectoral fins. The legs of tetrapods are just the opposite: the hind limbs attached to the pelvic girdle are almost always more robust than the fore limbs attached to the pectoral girdle. (This is particularly obvious in animals such as kangaroos and theropod dinosaurs.) Not only are the pelvic fins of all fish small, but they’re not even attached to the axial skeleton (vertebral column) and thus can’t bear weight on land.

While the endochondral bones in the pectoral fins of Crossopterygians have some similarity to bones in the fore limbs of tetrapods, there are significant differences. For example, there is nothing even remotely comparable to the digits in any fish. The bony rays of fish fins are dermal bones that are not related in any way to digits in their structure, function or mode of development. Clearly, fin rays are relatively fragile and unsuitable for actual walking and weight bearing.

Even the smaller endochondral bones in the distal fin of Tiktaalik are not related to digits. Ahlberg and Clack point out that “although these small distal bones bear some resemblance to tetrapod digits in terms of their function and range of movement, they are still very much components of a fin. There remains a large morphological gap between them and digits as seen in, for example Acanthostega: if the digits evolved from these distal bones, the process must have involved considerable developmental rearranging.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Firstly, let me say how i did chuckle at your sneaking in of the word "cartwheel".
Good, it was intended to inject humor. Glad I succeeded.

This may be the moment you were looking for. You may think I am a closed minded whateverist. That's fine
No, I’m not going to pounce on it and claim victory over the close minded whateverist, don’t worry.

Thank you for all the time you put into your responses. I truly thank you for that
You’re welcome. Thank you for all the time you took for yours. I’m sorry for any overly harsh words I may have exchanged.

I just know that a person convinced against their will is of the same opinion still.
Very very true words.

I bid thee farewell and God's blessings upon you as you follow Him.
So long, and bless you too.

Gradyll, you’ve been told and shown just WHY AIG is NOT a legitimate source. They would deny tiktaalik is transitional even if we found every fossil in an unbroken line from single cells to humans, with DNA intact.

But since someone else has already addressed the meat of the argument, here’s a link:
The Lancelet: Dr. David Menton is a liar.

Have fun with that.

Metherion

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

Metherion,
Chimps are humans share a common ancestor that in and of itself was neither human nor chimp yet. The evidence is in the fossils and the genetics.
Of course there is evidence for the assumption but you have never seen that anymore than I have seen God create them.
So don’t try and tell me it is so or I could simply tell you it isnt.
I posted from that site to clear up the definition of intelligent design.
It doesnt clear it up as what you posted from the site didnt represent or address what I was saying.
As a Christian, I believe God made everything, including the laws of nature.
As a Christian I also believe God created everything and can change what humans call the ‘laws of nature’
ID states that the natural laws enough are not sufficient to explain life as we know it on earth.
I am talking about God as the intelligent designer, not intelligentdesign.org.
Evolution is not an assumption, it is a demonstrated process. And it is not intelligent, nor a being. God is an intelligent being.
That’s delusion. Evolution is an assumption, one can no more demonstrate that fish became tetrapods any more than God spoke them into being. All you can see is the fossil record and make assumptions on it.
I never mentioned our lifetime. And there is no ‘popping up’ of new, completely formed and functional beings, without precursors, anywhere.
I mentioned our lifetime because it would have to be our lifetime for us to see it demonstrated.
But they ARE species in and of their own right. They are species with inherent features of multiple related branches of the tree of life, but each one still has to be its own fully functional animal specie.
Come off it, the species have all been identified according to the chosen characteristics by humans, one can soon make some adjustments.
How it can change is small variations acted upon by natural selection.
Let me stop you again, I know what you are claiming, my point is you DONT know that you havent observed it and you cannot demonstrate that the small variations in for example the virus are going to lead to more complex life forms such as animals. It is your assumption.
The ones that reproduced with lobes more suited to walking would be able to travel faster on land or in water too shallow to swim in to escape predators.
Let me stop you again. I know what the argument is but how is the fish going to reproduce with suitable lobes for land walking when it has no knowledge of the environment? And it has to reproduce with the right breathing and digestive system as well both of which is knows nothing about. If life is to ‘evolve’ in such a way there must be some intelligent design at work for it to do so.
Plenty of amphibians today can eat things that grow in both water and on land.
Because God created them to do so.
And the genetics. And the rest of the evidence.
You see you arent even listening to the argument. The gentics, yes, the rest of the evidence yes, I never said there was anything wrong with the evidence, all I am saying is the evidence we both see doesn’t prove the evolutionary mechanism you assume any more than God creating. I don’t buy it as fact, I am as a Christian given a sound mind.

I asked you what kind of evidence you would accept to help avoid any goal post moving, to make sure the evidence you would accept is what would actually need to be the case, and to avoid the wasting of time.
Visual demonstration, but as you have already said that cant be done. By the way, who owns the goalposts, I dont use yours necessarily.
The criteria for what is a fish and what is a tetrapod come from cladistics, a system of organization of all animals based on the work of Carl Linnaeus. One COULD call them fishapods, but then a new naming system would need to be made.
Ok suits me.
It also would not be beside fish and tetrapods, but in between.
Yes according to the dating, but it where would be the transition fossils for fish and fishopods? You see, science has created the groups and is applying the theory to what it has created seemingly oblivious.
And we can tell about lungs from spiracles on the tiktaalik rossils.
Well it looks like lungs but we cant be sure they were lungs or how effective they were. So no one cant tell, one can only assume.

The doubts you have presented are arguments from incredulity as far as I can tell, nothing more.
likewise you are seemingly convinced that what you assume and cannot observably demonstrate is fact.

Evolution is a process discovered as a conclusion drawn from many observations, and has evidence such as fossils and genetics.
to support the theory yes, I have no problem with that.
God creating is untestable, unobserved, and evidence that has been left is against Biblical creation.
Ok again show me fish evolving into tetrapods or a more complex animal group, or don’t claim what isnt the case.
Except my mind IS NOT made up to the point where it could never be changed. There is the possibility of evolution being shown wrong.
its hasn’t been shown right yet , you cant demonstrate it.
Wrong, there is evolution.
Wrong, there could be.
The evidence is in genetics and the fossil record.
thats right the evidence and the fossil record show equally that God could have created these forms or that they could have evolved.
If its too slow to be seen then I am afraid you cannot demonstrate what you claim to fact and what fails to convince me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
is tiktaalik a transitional form or just a fish?

tiktaalik is a fish according to answers in genesis...

Whatever else we might say about Tiktaalik, it is a fish. In a review article on Tiktaalik (appearing in the same issue of the scientific journal Nature that reported the discovery of Tiktaalik), fish evolution experts, Ahlberg and Clack concede that “in some respects Tiktaalik and Panderichthys are straightforward fishes: they have small pelvic fins, retain fin rays in their paired appendages and have well-developed gill arches, suggesting that both animals remained mostly aquatic.” 5

In other respects, however, Ahlberg and Clack argue that Tiktaalik is more tetrapod-like than Panderichthys because “the bony gill cover has disappeared, and the skull has a longer snout.” The authors weakly suggest that the significance of all this is that “a longer snout suggests a shift from sucking towards snapping up prey, whereas the loss of gill cover bones probably correlates with reduced water flow through the gill chamber. The ribs also seem larger in Tiktaalik, which may mean it was better able to support its body out of water.”

Without the author’s evolutionary bias, of course, there is no reason to assume that Tiktaalik was anything other than exclusively aquatic. And how do we know that Tiktaalik lost its gill cover as opposed to never having one? The longer snout and lack of bony gill covers (found in many other exclusively-aquatic living fish) are interpreted as indicating a reduced flow of water through the gills, which, in turn, is declared to be suggestive of partial air-breathing—but this is quite a stretch. Finally, what does any of this have to do with fish evolving into land dwelling tetrapods?

I like how when it agrees with their beliefs ("it's a fish"), it's just fine, but when it disagrees with their beliefs ("it's not a fish"), it's "evolutionary bias." AiG at its finest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

brightmorningstar

It looks like a fish, if it was my guess it is a fish, it certainly looks much more like a fish than a tetrapod according to the classifications we have, but its a fossil. I cant believe people who have never seen the thing alive can be so sure that what they are looking at WAS what they think it is.

Its a fossil, and I doubt if the frog was extinct that a fossil tadpole in resin would be associated with a fossil of a frog. But it might have been seen as a transition fossil.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I like how when it agrees with their beliefs ("it's a fish"), it's just fine, but when it disagrees with their beliefs ("it's not a fish"), it's "evolutionary bias." AiG at its finest.

they provided sufficient evidence that tiktaalik could not be supported under the so called digits that it has on land. So it's a fish.

Upvote 0

metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I WILL get around to replying in a day or two. The new semester starts on Monday and cleaning/dealing with Financial Aid and the business office/talking to the professors I will be TAing for/etc are higher up on my priority list on normal. Just letting you guys know I'm not giving up/abandoning the discussion, just taking care of other stuff.

Metherion

Upvote 0

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In a link from a critic of john morris creationist thinking, admits life could not originate from "primordial soup"

Creation Science Rebuttals, Institute for Creation Research, Dr. John's Q&A #6

:confused:???:confused:

What is this supposed to prove?

OK, so you have one breed of Creationist criticizing another breed of Creationist. Still they are both Creationists. Of course they will both agree, a priori, that they don't accept with the "primordial soup" model. As a matter of principle, not because either investigated the issue objectively.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.