✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
God is Spirit.
Man has a spirit. Man's spirit is made to receive and contain God.
If you want to grow spiritually, you have to eat spiritually.
Taking the Word only as knowledge will kill your spirit.

I can't put it any simpler than that.

What's a "spirit?"

Upvote 0

pgardner31

May 29, 2013
✟7,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because that is where spiritual reality- the eternal things- are realized and obtained. If it is visible, it is not eternal and will pass away. The eternal life- God- is gained into, by, and with our spirit. How does a human being substantiate eternal things- with their spirit, which is deeper than the mind and emotions; and is dormant in unbelievers. You cannot substantiate colors with your ears, you cannot substantiate smell with your eyes. They are not the right organ. No, I cannot point to a psychology or biology book and find something objective for you regarding your spirit. YOU yourself have to subjectively experience it- by receiving the Lord into you. God practices KISS: just ask Him, and call upon His name-Jesus.

Upvote 0

pgardner31

May 29, 2013
✟7,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
THE BIBLE BEING A BOOK OF KNOWLEDGE TO BRING DEATH OR A BOOK OF LIFE TO GIVE LIFE
Many people have been reading and studying the word for years, but I am not speaking about the old way of taking the word. What I am speaking is a new way that the brothers and sisters among us have been helped to realize. Some of us, though, may not know it very well, or we may know it partly but not in an adequate way. I would like to make this clear to you so that we can be brought into the proper way to apply the word of the Lord daily. In the garden of Eden there were two trees, the tree of life and the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Without the revelation of the Scriptures we could never realize that the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is something negative, bringing death to us. However, the Bible tells us clearly that this tree brings death. This is confirmed by 2 Corinthians 3:6, which says that the letter kills. The letter here is mere knowledge, the knowledge in letters. The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. When we take the tree of life, we have life, but when we touch the tree of knowledge, we find death. The one Bible can be two kinds of books to us, a book of knowledge or a book of life. If it is a book of knowledge to us, it will kill us; it will bring death.
How can this book be a book of knowledge, and how can it be a book of life? I will tell you the secret. If we take this book merely by exercising our mentality to read, study, memorize, and keep it in our mind, it is one hundred percent a book of knowledge to us. But there is another way to contact this book and apply it. It is not only to exercise our mind but even more to exercise our spirit. Of course, we have to read it. We have to use our eyes, that is, our body. When we exercise our eyes as members of our body to re ad the word, spontaneously the mind of the soul understands it. However, this is not all. After this, we have to exercise our spirit. When we exercise our spirit to contact the word and apply it, the Bible becomes a book of life. Whether this Bible is a book of knowledge or a book of life to us depends on whether we exercise our spirit or our minds to contact it. If we exercise only our minds, this book becomes a book of knowledge. Then it will not help us; on the contrary it will kill us. However, if we exercise our spirit to contact the Bible, spontaneously it will be a book of life to constantly nourish us.
John 5:39 and 40 says, "You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life, and it is these that testify concerning Me. Yet you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life." The Jews, especially the scribes and Pharisees, spent much time to research the scriptures. However, they would not come to the Lord Jesus. This means that they contacted only the written word by exercising their mind to understand it; they would not exercise their spirit to come to contact the Lord. Therefore the Scriptures became a book of knowledge to kill them. The Jewish scribes and Pharisees knew the Scriptures, but they were killed by the Scriptures. They did not have life to constantly nourish them because they were using the wrong organ. They used only their mentality without exercising their spirit.
Let us apply this principle. Whenever we come to read the word, we must first realize that the Bible must be a book of life, not a book knowledge. It must not be knowledge, but spiritual food. Second, when we come to read the Bible we should not have the intention to get mere knowledge. Rather, we must have the intention to get some spiritual food. Yes, the Bible is written and printed in black and white. Yet we must realize that it is not an ordinary writing; it is something breathed out of God Himself. It is the breath of God as the Spirit to be food to us. Therefore we come to the Bible not with the intention to gain some knowledge but with the desire to be fed. We should not say that we already know these things. We may know them, but we may not practice them. We must thoroughly, clearly realize that the Bible is food to us rather than knowledge, so we come to it not for knowledge but to be fed.

Upvote 0

pgardner31

May 29, 2013
✟7,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CHAPTER THREE

THE LOGIC OF IT ALL

I will do all my pleasure: ... I have spoken, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed, I will also do it. (Isaiah 46:1011)

I. Divine Purpose

Granted the existence and reality of God, let us consider the following extremely relevant question: What would an omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent being, knowing, having, and being capable of anything and everything, possibly want? The only possible thing that such a being would want would be an entity, perfectly complementary to Him, that was His of its own choice, and not out of necessity.

II. THE NECESSITY FOR A SECONDARY WILL

Obviously, if there existed only one will (God’s) in the universe, there would be no possible way for such a divine purpose to be realized, as all actions would necessarily be in response to that divine will. Therefore, it is absolutely essential to the attainment of such a divine purpose that there exist in addition to divine will a secondary, opposing will.

III. FREE WILL

It should be equally apparent that, in order for such a complementary entity to choose to belong to God, it must have an independent, free will.

IV. FURTHER STEPS NECESSARY FOR THE ATTAINMENT OF DIVINE PURPOSE

A. Such a being with a free will, in order to practically choose to belong to God, must exist in and be subject to the process of time. A choice made outside of and apart from the process of time would be a oneshot thing (pro or con) and would be as much a matter of chance as of choice.
B. Such a being must not only embody a free will, but must also be capable of embodying both the divine will and the opposing will, with the free will located between the two.
C. But God is eternal, necessitating that the part of said being capable of apprehending divine will be of a like eternal nature, necessitating that both the other parts of such a being having the free will and capable of containing the secondary will be temporal. (The specifics of this will be elaborated in the next chapter.) A further and confirmatory reason for the temporality of the part capable of containing the secondary will is, again, the fact that should a being make the wrong choice it would be of eternal consequence if that part of its being capable of containing the secondary will was also eternal. Once again, this would cause matters to be subject as much to chance as choice.
D. It should be somewhat apparent by now that for divine purpose to be achieved on other than a oneshot chance situation, such a temporal being must first choose the secondary will and then by a series of many choices choose the divine will.
E. Yet if such a being chooses the secondary will first, how can it then possibly choose the divine will? Only by God partaking of the temporal nature of such a being by the process of incarnation.
F. There remains but one further step necessary: that of the attainment of E. above being made available to said being. After E. then, God would have to retain the accomplishment of such a temporal incarnation yet make it available to said being in the form necessary for it to be able to choose it, i.e., the same as the eternal part of that being. It should be obvious by now whom the being with a free will that we have been talking about is.

…for God manifested it unto them. For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity; that they may be without excuse: (Rom. 1:19-20)

Upvote 0

nuttypiglet

Mar 23, 2012
✟15,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I base my beliefs on something very different. You see, God told Adam he would die if he ate the forbidden fruit, he didn't say "it's fine if you die, as long as you feed your soul now". The basis of my beliefs is in Christ, because without him the soul is pointless. Without his sacrifice, there is no point in life. To me, it is believing and gaining knowledge about Jesus that saves the soul. For that, we need the whole story from beginning to end. Not just a couple of verses. When your time comes, do you think Jesus will say to you "Do you think you know me from 4 verses?" When Jesus taught in the synagogues he didn't say "don't read this stuff, it will kill your spirit". What he did say is "All that stuff you've been reading about, it's finally concluded".

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Well I base my beliefs on something very different. You see, God told Adam he would die if he ate the forbidden fruit, he didn't say "it's fine if you die, as long as you feed your soul now".

Dear Readers, The LORD told Adam that he would surely die "in the day", he disobeyed:

Gen. 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Satan told Eve:

Gen. 4:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

Adam did NOT die within 24 hours and he lived for 930 years after he sinned. Gen. 5:3 Can you tell us if the LORD told Adam the Truth or was it Satan? The answer is simple:

Adam did die "in the Day" he disobeyed because Today remains the 6th Day. The LORD did NOT lie to Adam but Satan did, for Adam (mankind), or every other human, does die on the present 6th Day. It is PROOF that a day is NOT just 24 hours.

In Love,
Aman

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
The bible says that a thousand years is but a day to the Lord. Therefore Adam had up until 1000 years before he had to die. He made it to 930, Eve even longer. God didn't say if it would be a Heavenly day, or an Earthly day that death would befall Adam.

Dear Nutty, Not quite. The Bible says:

2 Peter 3:8
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

What is shows is that the Lord lives in the Eternal Present, and is not influenced by man's time. A day, and a thousand, years, are the same thing to the Lord.

In Love,
Aman

Upvote 0

pgardner31

May 29, 2013
✟7,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The New Jerusalem descends from heaven to the earth- where it will be throughout eternity. The concept of 'going to heaven when I die' is unscriptural. It is a pagan concept expressed in Buddhism (Nirvana) that was appropriated by the catholic 'church' and mixed in as leaven.
WHAT IS BLESSING?
'Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every SPIRITUAL blessing in the heavenlis IN CHRIST'.
This is the blessing promised to Abraham's seed.
Blessing is not anything outward, blessing is Christ given to believers as their allotted portion.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
The New Jerusalem descends from heaven to the earth- where it will be throughout eternity.

Dear pg, Not so. New Jerusalem is in the New Earth of Rev. 21:1. The New Jerusalem will descend into the THIRD Heaven, since our world is going to be Burned. ll Peter 3:10 New Jerusalem could NOT be throughout Eternity here, for our world will NOT be here.

pg:>>The concept of 'going to heaven when I die' is unscriptural. It is a pagan concept expressed in Buddhism (Nirvana) that was appropriated by the catholic 'church' and mixed in as leaven.
Jesus said He was going to prepare a place for us and Paul went to the 3rd Heaven, the New Heaven. What is your concept of the 3rd Heaven?

In Love,
Aman

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
I agree, it wasn't until Jesus died that the dead could go to Heaven, but some elected did I believe. I think Enoch and Moses are two such cases.

Dear Nutty, I understand that Enoch and Elijah could be the two witnesses who are killed and that lay in the streets of Jerusalem for 3 1/2 days before they are resurrected. Rev. 11 It makes sense to me, since neither Enoch nor Elijah died.

In Love,
Aman

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Makes sense, but of course it could be any two people alive at the time who are chosen.

Dear Nutty, I know, but it's fun to try and guess the future. It would be nice if Abraham and David, for instance, would come back. I have no idea, but God said heaven was beyond my wildest dreams. Eye hath not seen nor ear heard the blesings He has for us.

1 Corinthians 2:9
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him.

Wow! It's better than we can imagine.

In Love,
Aman

Upvote 0

bestrfcplayer

Feb 14, 2013
✟7,688.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Republican
Well in answer to your question, NO I do not think a human can live that long NOW. However, I do believe that the very first human probably could have. Perfect genes, perfect air to breath and higher oxygen content, no diseases yet formed to attack humans, no pesticides, no nuclear testing etc etc.

In no way, shape, or form has humanity ever lived for that long and can't live that long. When the first modern humans started showing up (IIRC 200,000 years ago), I'd imagine the their life span was at best 30. We don't have that kind of durability to last even 120 years. Please I beg you to look up information before you blurt stuff like this out.

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
What's a "spirit?"

That which makes you what you are. E=mc^2.

Thought is nothing more than electrical activity (energy). It is that image (mind, consciousness) that we were made into. An image of which no physical image can be made. But you were already told this in Romans 1:20.

Upvote 0