Massachusetts
✟342,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This leaves the impression that if I said more, your reply would only be a hip shot.
Look, the whole point of this thread (at least as I've been able to glean it) is that different assumptions can lead to different conclusions from the same data. And you don't mean the general assumptions that all of science makes (about rationality and humans senses and the like), but something more specific. In fact, you think this is a big deal and something that is often overlooked. So, if this effect really occurs on a large scale, there must be some examples of it. What are they? I'm trying to determine whether this thread is about anything at all. (I think my caution is justified, based on decades of observing creationists. They often say that they use the same data as biologists, but simply interpret them differently, but in practice they tend to flee data rather than interpret them.)

I don't either. My experience is in mechanics, where I am very much aware of the assumptions underpinning the science I use and the implications of those assumptions. I get the impression that people think I have no respect for science because I don't take it as some kind of absolute truth. That is not at all the case. Understanding the limitations of mechanics better informs my use of it.
Give examples from mechanics, then. What assumptions does one make that could be changed, and that would lead to different conclusions that are still consistent with observation? I'm familiar with physics, and I can't think of any. There are assumptions that go into the mathematical construction of any theory or model, but these are tested when the model is compared to observations. For example, special relativity assumes a constant speed of light. That doesn't mean that you would have an equally viable theory if you dropped that assumption; instead, you would have a theory that was inconsistent with data. Or more precisely, every theory in the broad classes that people have been able to come up with would be inconsistent with the data.

Similar but less absolute assumptions are made in constructing other theories in physics. One can formulate models of mechanics that assume perfect rigid body motion. These theories are known to be wrong, but are employed anyway because they are useful approximations; again, the validity of the assumptions is tested (and in some cases rejected, if rigid bodies are not a good approximation in those cases) by comparison with data.

It also seems that (so far) no one involved with this thread really knows what the assumptions of biology are. I'm not talking about vague, philosophical generalities. I'm talking about codified assumptions - like what physics can point to. I tried looking for them myself and didn't find much. A few people have taken a shot at it, but not people with high standing in the biological sciences and nothing I've found seems to be generally accepted. In fact, the most common comment I've found is to point to physics & chemistry and say that biology is built upon those sciences. Not sure I completely agree with that from what I understand of it.
Again, what are these codified assumptions in physics? I have a PhD in physics, and I'm still unclear on what you're talking about.

So, let's take comparative genomics. A good place to start would be to look at a respected textbook dealing with the subject. Is there one you would suggest?
I would think textbooks would be a bad place to look for an accurate analysis of the assumptions of any field, since they seldom reflect actual scientific practice, but are instead a reformulation of scientific results into a form that can be grasped by a newcomer to the field.

Comparative genomics makes the kind of basic assumptions that you're not interested in, e.g. the theory that makes the best predictions is the one that should be adopted. Thus, the assumption that common descent explains the patterns of genetic similarities and differences between species leads to better predictions than any other that has been offered, so it is assumed that common descent is the most accurate model and is adopted. Again, processes known to occur are preferred to ones that aren't known to occur; thus, natural selection and genetic drift are preferred to alien genetic engineering, since the former but not the latter can be observed occurring. (This assumption is hardly mandatory, however: endosymbiosis had not been observed when it was proposed or accepted as an explanation for mitochondria and chloroplasts, but it explained data better and made better predictions than processes that had been observed to occur, and so was accepted anyway.)

But you say these kinds of assumption are not what you're talking about. I really don't see what other, more specific assumptions there are in the field, nor how they would change the conclusions. (Note that, while I rarely do comparative genomics, I am a geneticist and study genomics within a species all the time, so I have a reasonable grasp of the field.) This is why I'm trying to get a better handle on what kinds of assumptions you're actually talking about.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I would think textbooks would be a bad place to look for an accurate analysis of the assumptions of any field, since they seldom reflect actual scientific practice, but are instead a reformulation of scientific results into a form that can be grasped by a newcomer to the field.

That's a very interesting comment. You should also read Bauer if you haven't, since he tries to make that same point - though you may not like what he claims to be the implications of that situation.

I could ask if there is an advanced textbook rather than a beginner's textbook, but it would probably be beyond me so maybe that is pointless. All I can say is that in my graduate classes all the texts I can think of started off by listing definitions and assumptions (sadly that didn't always happen in undergraduate classes). I consider it good practice to do so.

Again, processes known to occur are preferred to ones that aren't known to occur; thus, natural selection and genetic drift are preferred to alien genetic engineering, since the former but not the latter can be observed occurring. (This assumption is hardly mandatory, however: endosymbiosis had not been observed when it was proposed or accepted as an explanation for mitochondria and chloroplasts, but it explained data better and made better predictions than processes that had been observed to occur, and so was accepted anyway.)

I guess I'm not sure which assumption among those listed is "this" assumption. Maybe it is what I'm looking for. Regardless, and though I don't want to, it seems we need to change course.

Look, the whole point of this thread (at least as I've been able to glean it) is that different assumptions can lead to different conclusions from the same data. And you don't mean the general assumptions that all of science makes (about rationality and humans senses and the like), but something more specific. In fact, you think this is a big deal and something that is often overlooked. So, if this effect really occurs on a large scale, there must be some examples of it. What are they?

Kitty Ferguson's book had a good example from physics. I borrowed that book from my local library so I don't have a copy, and don't remember the details well enough to articulate them. You aren't willing to go take a look at it. If you're not going to make that effort, I guess I don't see why I should either.

Give examples from mechanics, then.

It's not what I was interested in. I understand the issues associated with mechanics, and I'm not trying to prove a point. I wanted to learn something about biology. If this is not the place, fair enough. Then I need to look elsewhere. I'm not asking you to take on the burden of educating me. I just thought someone might be familiar with the assumptions of biology.

You are saying my question is not clear. OK. I'll make the attempt to clarify myself, but I am also expressing my concerns in doing that. They are: 1) You seemed to dismiss the idea of incommensurability. If you're not going to allow incommensurability as a possible issue in our attempt to understand each other, then I think this conversation is going to be very difficult. 2) There is an issue of "you don't know what you don't know." If I am successful in explaining differences that once separated 2 different assumptions, then you might just say, "Well, see, it's been explained. There is no issue there." On the flip side, if I find an example where there are currently 2 unresolved opinions, you can say, "Well, it's not been resolved yet, but it will be someday." 3) Though I've tried to dismiss some of the more general assumptions to get at the specifics of biology, maybe one of those actually is standing in the way of this discussion. For example, I could infer from some of your comments on data that you think there is a "right" way to look at it. If so, you may have dismissed out of hand what I'm talking about before we even get started. You may accept that there is such a thing in science as the "self-evident," and that if there are those who do not accept the "self-evident" the problem is with them, not with the "self-evident."

So, I can list a few, but here are my reservations:

I am concerned you will find these examples trivial and therefore not informative. It seems you're looking for something grand and sweeping.
1. Is there a fixed point?
2. What is force (per Nagel's discussion of that issue)?

I am concerned you will dismiss these examples as "merely mathematical."
3. The Fifth Postulate
4. Godelian dilemmas

I am concerned you will dismiss these examples as "merely philosophical."
5. What is "dimension"?
6. What is "time"?
7. What is "natural" (i.e. unforced) motion (again, per Nagel)?
8. Is science a model or does it represent the "true" thing?

Again, what are these codified assumptions in physics? I have a PhD in physics, and I'm still unclear on what you're talking about.

FYI, the above is one example, i.e. space-time.

I am concerned you will dismiss historical examples with "we now know."
9. Gravity
10. Phlogiston vs. current theories of heat, etc.
11. Alchemy vs. current chemistry

[edit] I understand you have a PhD so I'm not trying to demean you, but I could give examples from personal experience, but I'm not sure you would grasp them.
12. An issue I encountered with signal processing of data from a diesel engine.

I could on, but the point is, I'm not sure which example to give you. We could spend an eternity hunting through examples and the "skeptic's dilemma" will allow you to dismiss every single one of them.

So, though it is far from where I want to be, I guess we need to back way up and start from the beginning. As such, let me ask this question:

Why do people make assumptions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chris4243

Advocate of Truth
Mar 6, 2011
✟2,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I think all points in spacetime are fixed (since they can't go anywhere), all points moving in a straight line are fixed in a reference frame moving in the same direction at the same speed (since it's position doesn't change), and all points in an accelerating reference frame are fixed in a reference frame accelerating and moving at the same speed in the same direction.

Rate of change in momentum with respect to time.

3. The Fifth Postulate

Is false in real life, per General Relativity and its curved spacetime.

5. What is "dimension"?

A set of variables that can change independent of other variables in a different dimension. Per this definition, not all dimensions are space-like.

6. What is "time"?

That's one I don't really know the answer to. I think we've just been taking 9,192,631,770 hyperfine transitions of a caesium-133 atom and calling it a second.

All motion is natural. As for unforced, given the expansion of the universe I doubt you'd be able to find any inertial reference frame.

A systematic method for finding useful approximations to the truth.

9. Gravity

Don't know what it is. Our two best theories (quantum mechanics and relativity) give different underlying causes for gravity.

Phlogiston and alchemy date from before natural philosophy was largely replaced by science.

Without assumptions, you can do nothing. Nothing.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I could ask if there is an advanced textbook rather than a beginner's textbook, but it would probably be beyond me so maybe that is pointless. All I can say is that in my graduate classes all the texts I can think of started off by listing definitions and assumptions (sadly that didn't always happen in undergraduate classes). I consider it good practice to do so.
Precise definitions are much more important in physics than in biology. In biology, definitions tend to be approximate and fuzzy, since the phenomena biologists deal with are far more complex.

I guess I'm not sure which assumption among those listed is "this" assumption. Maybe it is what I'm looking for. Regardless, and though I don't want to, it seems we need to change course.
The assumption that observed processes make for better models than unobserved ones.

Kitty Ferguson's book had a good example from physics. I borrowed that book from my local library so I don't have a copy, and don't remember the details well enough to articulate them. You aren't willing to go take a look at it. If you're not going to make that effort, I guess I don't see why I should either.
I'm willing to look at a particular passage if you have a citation, but I'm not willing to read an entire book to find an example to support your claim. That strikes me as your job, and I really don't have the time this month anyway.

You are saying my question is not clear. OK. I'll make the attempt to clarify myself, but I am also expressing my concerns in doing that. They are: 1) You seemed to dismiss the idea of incommensurability. If you're not going to allow incommensurability as a possible issue in our attempt to understand each other, then I think this conversation is going to be very difficult.
I'll allow incommensurability as a possible issue, but I'm quite skeptical that it is often an issue in the practice of science. Scientists consistently find do find ways to compare theories, even if those ways don't conform to the logical procedures that philosophers want them to be using.

2) There is an issue of "you don't know what you don't know." If I am successful in explaining differences that once separated 2 different assumptions, then you might just say, "Well, see, it's been explained. There is no issue there." On the flip side, if I find an example where there are currently 2 unresolved opinions, you can say, "Well, it's not been resolved yet, but it will be someday."
Unresolved issues occur quite often in science, although it is not clear to me that differing assumptions have much role in which side an individual scientist chooses (if she even makes a choice). Whom you're friends with and what your previous experiences have been strike me as more important. Regardless, unresolved issues have little to do with incommensurability, since both sides in most scientific disputes agree on what kinds of data will settle the issue.

More to the point, I don't see what unresolved issues and any assumptions underlying them have to do with disagreements between biologists and creationists. Creationists dispute things that have been resolved within science.

3) Though I've tried to dismiss some of the more general assumptions to get at the specifics of biology, maybe one of those actually is standing in the way of this discussion. For example, I could infer from some of your comments on data that you think there is a "right" way to look at it. If so, you may have dismissed out of hand what I'm talking about before we even get started. You may accept that there is such a thing in science as the "self-evident," and that if there are those who do not accept the "self-evident" the problem is with them, not with the "self-evident."
I don't know that there is a single right way, and the approach need not be self-evident. Nevertheless, there is generally a narrow range of ways of handling data that are acceptable to scientists, and on which there is general agreement among them. (One way of handling data that is absolutely not acceptable is the one most practiced by creationists in my experience: ignoring it.)

So, I can list a few, but here are my reservations:

I am concerned you will find these examples trivial and therefore not informative. It seems you're looking for something grand and sweeping.
Since I don't know what a fixed point means in this context, I can't comment.

Expand, please. What issues are involved in choosing different definitions of "force"?

3. The Fifth Postulate
4. Godelian dilemmas
Your concerns are well founded. You asked about assumptions in science, not in math.

5. What is "dimension"?
6. What is "time"?
Yes, they're pretty philosophical, in ways that the differences between creation and evolution are not. There are probably similar questions in the philosophy of biology -- something like "What does causation mean in biological systems?" of "What does it mean to use teleological language to describe biological function?" -- but I don't see how either set of questions affects the science involved. If different answers to the questions produces different predicted phenomena, then the different answers can be compared. If different answers produce the same predictions, then the questions don't matter (for doing science).

I am concerned you will dismiss historical examples with "we now know."
9. Gravity
These are various testable models, each with its own assumptions that can be assessed by how well the models predict data (like the example of special relativity, which I mentioned previously). There are plenty of specific model assumptions within biology, although the assumptions often involve choosing the appropriate level of approximation, more often than in fundamental physics. Thus a particular model of evolution might assume a constant mutation rate, or deleterious mutations of fixed selective effect, or whatever. But is this really the kind of thing you mean, when asking about the assumptions of evolution? There are also more general assumptions in this sense (more accurately, testable hypotheses) that go into to very idea of evolution: that offspring resemble their progenitors, but do not always resemble them perfectly, that phenotype affects the probability of reproduction, that all species share a small number of common ancestors. I don't think any of these are assumptions in the strict sense, that is, ideas that are assumed without being tested.

As has already been said, you need to make assumptions in order to do or think anything interesting. As far as I am concerned, science is an enterprise that judges models, including their assumptions, on how well they permit us to explain, predict and manipulate natural phenomena. If two sets of assumptions are identically effective, then they are equivalent and there is no scientific reason for choosing one or the other. If they do not, then there are grounds, at least potentially, for choosing one.

Upvote 0

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Nonsense. Without assumptions you can sit in the corner and drool. Not very productive, perhaps, but you can do it.

I think he mean that any deliberate action requires some assumption(s), but I could be mistaken.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In biology, definitions tend to be approximate and fuzzy, since the phenomena biologists deal with are far more complex.

I would agree with this.

Precise definitions are much more important in physics than in biology.

But not this. In fact, it seems a bit backwards. I would say that definitions in biology are more approximate because you have no other choice - because no one has been able to get their hands around biology in a definitive way that allows them to announce the "laws" of biology the way physicists do. As such (though you're not going to like this), I would rate biology lower than quantitative sciences.

As a practical matter I can accept that biology must approximate because it deals with higher complexity (I would say the "ultimate" complexity of the physical universe). But at the same time, I maintain that this means confidence is lower in the methods of biology than in the methods of physics. Without producing something quantifiable, I don't know how one could say anything else. If biology wanted to do better, it would need to take the route I alluded to earlier, that of using physics to explain biology. Even though I say that, I don't believe that would really ever go anywhere. But, still, maybe it's worth someone giving it a try.

As a parallel, a quick search would yield you a smattering of papers with titles like "Is History a Science?" Around the turn of the 20th century there was a crisis of confidence in science that undermined the "method" work of people like C.S. Peirce and produced people like Duhem (and laid the groundwork for Einstein). Prior to that, historians expected history to become a science with as much rigor as physics. After that, there was a lot of hand-wringing about whether history had any value at all, which has progressed into much purple prose extolling its metaphysical benefits. Einstein et al lifted physics out of that swamp. So far, it seems to me physics is the only science that has risen out of that swamp.

I'm willing to look at a particular passage if you have a citation, but I'm not willing to read an entire book to find an example to support your claim. That strikes me as your job, and I really don't have the time this month anyway.

Yes, reading books is hard, isn't it. :p

I don't read everything people link to on the Internet either. My level of interest and the credibility of the poster plays into whether I read it. But I have read books because they were recommended in forums like this. I'll take your reply as a polite euphimism. Regardless, I've thought of another example from physics that I can give - one that Wiccan suggested to me some time back.

Regardless, unresolved issues have little to do with incommensurability, since both sides in most scientific disputes agree on what kinds of data will settle the issue.

The example I could explain best is #12, to which you didn't respond. But, since you don't have time right now, I doubt we could reach the depth necessary for you to grasp it.

Also, we need to be careful not to confuse 2 topics here. Assumptions and incommensurability can be, but are not necessarily linked. They are 2 different topics.

More to the point, I don't see what unresolved issues and any assumptions underlying them have to do with disagreements between biologists and creationists. Creationists dispute things that have been resolved within science.

Uh huh. I appreciate your honesty in admitting the approximate nature of biology, but it leaves me baffled that you would then make statements like this. I have said before that this becomes an issue of evidence, and that I consider much of the evidence that evolution relies on (depending on how you define the scope of the conversation) to be historical, not scientific. However, every time I approach the issue of quantified/qualified with someone, that discussion seems to die out.

Since I don't know what a fixed point means in this context, I can't comment.

I didn't mean you had to answer every example. My point was that if you choose to play the ultimate skeptic, you'll always have a way to wiggle out. It's the nature of debate. If I'm going to pick one of these examples, it wouldn't be this one. But I'll explain further anyway. From there forward, since you seem to need an example from physics, let's focus on "force," as that is the one I can best explain.

Anyway, the "fixed point" example centers on the difference between a Cartesian approach that assumes a fixed frame of reference and the Einsteinian approach that assumes everything is relative.

Your concerns are well founded. You asked about assumptions in science, not in math.

Physics is heavily based on math. Changing the 5th postulate assumption had not only a major impact on math, but on physics as well.

As has already been said, you need to make assumptions in order to do or think anything interesting. As far as I am concerned, science is an enterprise that judges models, including their assumptions, on how well they permit us to explain, predict and manipulate natural phenomena. If two sets of assumptions are identically effective, then they are equivalent and there is no scientific reason for choosing one or the other. If they do not, then there are grounds, at least potentially, for choosing one.

The emphasis is mine, as it is the part I want to focus on. This is exactly what an assumption is. One is faced with a choice, but doesn't have an explicit method for choosing between the two. That doesn't mean the choice is arbitrary. Euclid chose his answer to the 5th postulate based on what his personal experience seemed to indicate. In truth, his choice remains much more intuitive to me that others. I'd have to question the honesty (and/or sanity) of anyone who says differently. Yet, even though he was convinced of the truth of his choice, he couldn't prove it using the method he had adopted. Therefore, the honest approach was to identify it as a postulate.

Within mathematics the 5th postulate remains (and will forever remain) an open question. The reason for rejecting Euclid and going with Riemann in modern physics is because of the explanatory power demonstrated by Einstein. But that doesn't make Einstein's choice "right." If Einstein demonstrated anything, it was that we may find in the future that we need to change that assumption yet again.

And that is the new example I was reminded of (#13 I suppose). The quote from Wiccan is this, "CM is good for low-speed, middle-sized things. QM is good for the very small, SR for the very fast, and GR for the very large and the very massive (and SR is a part of GR). Since QM and GR deal with different things, they rarely interact. But in the case of black holes, you have something very heavy (GR) and something very small (QM). They don't agree." IOW, whether one chooses GR or QM (and, implicitly, the relative assumptions of them) will determine what prediction is made. Assuming the logic of both is sound, what else can one conclude but that it is the assumptions that cause them to differ? Of course, if you have an insight into where the logic of one might be wrong, I'd very much like to hear that.

Anyway, let's move on to force. This is an example proposed by Ernest Nagel, and one that radically changed my view of mechanics. In fact, it led me to investigate some incommensurate ideas for my own work. The example is simply this: Newton's 2nd law can be stated as F = ma. This is not really a "law," but a postulate. It proposes an ideal that can never be perfectly tested. As you mentioned earlier, it assumes rigid bodies.

What is interesting, however, is that even though this law can never be demonstrated (it can only be approximated), no one questions it. When people found an obvious discrepancy regarding flexible bodies, they simply amended the ideal with Hooke's law. Later it was amended with Rayleigh's work on damping. And this will continue forever. There is never a reason to question the ideal. Instead, people will simply continue to amend the ideal with new forces.

And yet there are alternatives to Newton's ideal. The example given by Nagel was one proposed by Jean Buridan that, rather than force being necessary to sustain acceleration, force is necessary to sustain velocity. It is an equally valid assumption, and one that could generate an equally valid mechanical model (even though it may not be as parsimonious - that I don't know since Buridan's proposal was never developed as far as Newton's).

The point is, that how one defines "force" can lead one to different conclusions about a system. As I said, I worked on some alternatives for my own work, so after you digest this I can give an example of what differences this can produce.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 15, 2011
✟220.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As a practical matter I can accept that biology must approximate because it deals with higher complexity (I would say the "ultimate" complexity of the physical universe). But at the same time, I maintain that this means confidence is lower in the methods of biology than in the methods of physics. Without producing something quantifiable, I don't know how one could say anything else. If biology wanted to do better, it would need to take the route I alluded to earlier, that of using physics to explain biology. Even though I say that, I don't believe that would really ever go anywhere. But, still, maybe it's worth someone giving it a try.
The physics of chemistry has been explained. Nobel prises got.

Biology is the study of big chemicals up to the study of animal behviours and population behaviours. Biology is just as valid as physics.

And yet there are alternatives to Newton's ideal. The example given by Nagel was one proposed by Jean Buridan that, rather than force being necessary to sustain acceleration, force is necessary to sustain velocity. It is an equally valid assumption, and one that could generate an equally valid mechanical model
If you have any alternatives to Newton's laws of motion I would be astonished to hear them!

Force, as defined by everyone else, is not necessary to sustain velocity at all, according to Newton's first and third laws of motion. All of engineering is based on this idea. What are you talking about?

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If you have any alternatives to Newton's laws of motion I would be astonished to hear them!

I already did.

Modern physics, beginning with Einstein, is different than Newton's physics. Prior to Newton there were alternative proposals as well. I mentioned Buridan as one of those alternatives. Read up on "impetus theory."

Jean Buridan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Force, as defined by everyone else, is not necessary to sustain velocity at all, according to Newton's first and third laws of motion. All of engineering is based on this idea. What are you talking about?

I am an engineer. I have a master's degree along with several patents & published papers, and I've been practicing for over 20 years. I am well acquainted with Newton's laws & how to use them.

You haven't given me much to work from regarding what it is that astonishes you - other than that you seem to take Newton as a speaker of absolute truth. Is that what you think? You do realize, don't you, that the best anyone could claim is that Newtonian physics is a good approximation for medium sized rigid bodies moving at medium speed.

There is also LaGrange's formulation of motion (for conservative systems) that completely avoids the issue of forces by using energy as its basis.

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2011
✟220.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Jean Buridan, long ago before we got good at physics;
...after leaving the arm of the thrower, the projectile would be moved by an impetus given to it by the thrower and would continue to be moved as long as the impetus remained stronger than the resistance, and would be of infinite duration were it not diminished and corrupted by a contrary force resisting it or by something inclining it to a contrary motion
That sounds exactly like Newtonian mechanics but worded slightly poorly.

You seem to have a definition or use of the idea of force which is different to the Newtonian concept, what is it?

For situations of extreemly small things like electrons treating them as particles rather than waves or a bit of both does not reflect their behaivour very well. But then at those scales the idea of force stops being very useful. Electrons are what they are, they behave as they do. We don't have a total understanding of them. What has that go to do with the idea of Force?

For situations such as the enviroment around a black hole we have projections and ideas but since we have yet to actually find one that is all they are. What has that got to do with the idea of Force?

You seem to have an ajenda of confusing all of science by saying that all of it's ideas are doubtful. Newtonian physics is not in doubt. It works.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That sounds exactly like Newtonian mechanics but worded slightly poorly.

If you don't see the difference after reading that, I doubt I can say anything to help clarify it for you.

For situations of extreemly small things like electrons treating them as particles rather than waves or a bit of both does not reflect their behaivour very well. But then at those scales the idea of force stops being very useful. Electrons are what they are, they behave as they do. We don't have a total understanding of them. What has that go to do with the idea of Force?

I listed several distinct examples. They weren't all about force. It seems you are mixing them together and confusing them.

You seem to have an ajenda of confusing all of science by saying that all of it's ideas are doubtful.

No. I started the thread to ask a specific question about biology. Mechanics came up because sfs wanted me to provide an example I was already familiar with. I am not confusing anything, nor did I ever make statements that "all of it's ideas are doubtful." I simply do not accept science as some kind of "truth," but rather (as others in this thread have said) as a model that attempts to explain the physical world - a model which must start somewhere - a model which cannot be self-evident, but instead rests upon assumptions.

The word "assumption" does not equate to "doubt." As I also said earlier, those assumptions are not arbitrary.

Newtonian physics is not in doubt. It works.

It is good at approximating some things. For others, it is flat out wrong. You misunderstand my view of Newtonian mechanics. As I said, I use it daily in my work. IMO Newton was the most brilliant scientist who ever lived.

But that does not lead me to putting Newtonian physics on a pedestal. When it is wrong, I want to know why. If there are cases to which it is not suited, I am interested in using the best model I can find rather than dogmatically adhering to Newton.

With respect to biology, this thread has been useful for me. It gave me a few clues to use in digging further. I was surprised by the diversity of alternatives that evolutionists are proposing. I didn't realize all the instances where evolutionary biologists are looking at alternatives to genetic mutation, natural selection, etc. It's been interesting.

Upvote 0